Author Topic: Artemis I Pre-Launch Testing at LC-39B (Leading up to and including all WDR's)  (Read 159972 times)

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7404
  • Likes Given: 72484
Moderator:
I split/moved multiple posts to the discussion thread.
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81676
  • Likes Given: 36941
https://spaceflightnow.com/2022/06/22/nasa-not-planning-another-artemis-1-countdown-dress-rehearsal/

NASA not planning another Artemis 1 countdown dress rehearsal
June 22, 2022 Stephen Clark

Forgoing another countdown rehearsal, NASA plans to return the first Space Launch System rocket to its assembly hangar at the Kennedy Space Center next week for a hydrogen leak repair and continued preparations for liftoff on the Artemis 1 moon mission.

The article cites sources from late Wednesday.

Offline Overwatchfan123

• United Kingdom
    • My YouTube channel
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 68
When does rollback to the VAB look like? Will it happen before the end of this month or will it happen sometime in July?
I've been a space aficionado since 2008. I love space.
Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/c/DarkFalconAnimations

Offline Vahe231991

• 11 Canyon Terrace
  • Liked: 462
  • Likes Given: 199
https://spaceflightnow.com/2022/06/22/nasa-not-planning-another-artemis-1-countdown-dress-rehearsal/

NASA not planning another Artemis 1 countdown dress rehearsal
June 22, 2022 Stephen Clark

Forgoing another countdown rehearsal, NASA plans to return the first Space Launch System rocket to its assembly hangar at the Kennedy Space Center next week for a hydrogen leak repair and continued preparations for liftoff on the Artemis 1 moon mission.

The article cites sources from late Wednesday.
Just as many predicted, the WDR#4 for the SLS slated for Artemis 1 accomplished enough objectives for NASA to decide on making just a few minor repairs and then continue preparing for the launch of Artemis 1.

Offline oldAtlas_Eguy

• Florida
  • Liked: 5005
  • Likes Given: 1444
When does rollback to the VAB look like? Will it happen before the end of this month or will it happen sometime in July?
9 or ten days from the decision date (today). Or about 1/2 July. Hopefully they get it rolling on 1 July (Friday) to allow for the usual work slowing over the 4th of July long weekend due to workforce doing long vacations. But manpower may not be a issue though with the rollback.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81676
  • Likes Given: 36941
No more WDR it seems - going for late August launch

https://twitter.com/jimfree/status/1540023601503535105

Join us tomorrow, June 24 for an #Artemis I update. We've identified next steps from our wet dress rehearsal data, including @NASAGroundSys bringing @NASA_SLS & @NASA_Orion back to the Vehicle Assembly Building to prepare for a targeted late August launch. go.nasa.gov/3Ownb1w

Offline Conexion Espacial

• Liked: 3164
  • Likes Given: 2273
No more WDR it seems - going for late August launch

https://twitter.com/jimfree/status/1540023601503535105

Join us tomorrow, June 24 for an #Artemis I update. We've identified next steps from our wet dress rehearsal data, including @NASAGroundSys bringing @NASA_SLS & @NASA_Orion back to the Vehicle Assembly Building to prepare for a targeted late August launch. go.nasa.gov/3Ownb1w

NASA will hold a media teleconference at 11 a.m. EDT Friday, June 24, to discuss next steps for the Artemis I mission with the Space Launch System (SLS) rocket and Orion spacecraft at the agency’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Audio of the call will livestream on NASA’s website.

Teams conducted a wet dress rehearsal Monday, June 20, to validate the timelines and procedures for launch, including loading propellant into the rocket’s tanks, performing the launch countdown through the handover to the automated launch sequencer, and draining the tanks.

NASA has reviewed the data from the rehearsal and determined the testing campaign is complete. The agency will roll SLS and Orion back to the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) at Kennedy next week to prepare the rocket and spacecraft for launch and repair a leak detected during the most recent rehearsal. NASA plans to return SLS and Orion to the pad for launch in late August. NASA will set a specific target launch date after replacing hardware associated with the leak.
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-to-discuss-status-of-artemis-i-moon-mission-0
I publish information in Spanish about space and rockets.
www.x.com/conexionspacial

Next Steps for Artemis l

Summary:

- Good WDR data were collected and the test campaign is complete.
- Rollback July 1 or 2 (04:01 UTC).
- 6 to 8 weeks to prepare the rocket in the VAB for launch (if no unforeseen events).
- Minor testing is being done on the pad before returning to the VAB related to the HPU of an SRB as this was not tested on Monday due to the HOLD at T-29 seconds.
- Work remains at the VAB including: vehicle checkout, LH2 leak checkout, load flight software, install FTS hardware, install hardware for stage separation and SRBs.
- A possible launch date will be announced in about two weeks after starting work on the VAB.
« Last Edit: 06/24/2022 04:28 pm by Conexion Espacial »

Next Steps for Artemis l

Summary:

- Good WDR data were collected and the test campaign is complete.
- Rollback July 1 or 2 (04:01 UTC).
- 6 to 8 weeks to prepare the rocket in the VAB for launch (if no unforeseen events).
- Minor testing is being done on the pad before returning to the VAB related to the HPU of an SRB as this was not tested on Monday due to the HOLD at T-29 seconds.
- Work remains at the VAB including: vehicle checkout, LH2 leak checkout, load flight software, install FTS hardware, install hardware for stage separation and SRBs.
- A possible launch date will be announced in about two weeks after starting work on the VAB.
This would suggest that the planned minor testing on the launch pad is to be done in the final days of June given that the rocket will be rolled back to the VAB in July.
The HPU test will be done tonight and the others the following week, including the hydrazine de-servicing.

« Last Edit: 06/25/2022 07:59 pm by Conexion Espacial »

Offline Overwatchfan123

• United Kingdom
    • My YouTube channel
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 68
UPDATE: Rollback to the VAB is scheduled for Friday (July 1st).
I've been a space aficionado since 2008. I love space.
Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/c/DarkFalconAnimations

NASA to Roll Artemis I Rocket and Spacecraft to VAB Today

NASA will roll the Space Launch System rocket and Orion spacecraft for the Artemis I mission from launch pad 39B to the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) at the agency’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida beginning June 30.
First motion for the rocket and spacecraft atop the mobile launcher is expected to occur at 8 p.m. EDT today. The 4-mile trek atop the crawler transporter from the launch pad to the VAB will take approximately 8-12 hours. The journey previously was expected to begin just after midnight on July 1 but was moved up by several hours due to forecasted weather in the area. Teams will continue monitoring weather in the area and the start of the roll is subject to change.
Teams completed the wet dress rehearsal test campaign for Artemis I on June 20 and have configured the rocket and spacecraft for return to the VAB. Once there, teams will replace a seal on the quick disconnect of the tail service mast umbilical to address a liquid hydrogen leak detected during the rehearsal along with final servicing and checkouts. NASA plans to return the mega Moon rocket to the pad for launch in late August and will set a specific target launch date after replacing hardware associated with the leak.

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Moderator:
I split/moved 21 posts to the discussion thread; mostly about Shuttle legacy or apparent legacy in SLS.

I expect we will open the Artemis I launch thread after the stack returns to the VAB!
« Last Edit: 06/30/2022 08:51 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Artemis I Rollback to VAB Rescheduled for July 1

Teams have rescheduled the return of the Space Launch System rocket and Orion spacecraft to the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center to Friday, July 1 due a concern with the condition of the crawlerway that leads from Launch Pad 39B to the VAB. First motion is now planned for 6 p.m. EDT.

This afternoon, teams conducted a series of conditioning efforts driving the massive transporter up and down the slope leading to the launch pad. The inclined pathway must be precisely level with an even distribution of the rocks that make up the crawlerway in order to support the load of the mobile launcher and rocket that it will carry.

Teams will continue grating, or sifting, the crawlerway overnight and the rocket and spacecraft remain in a safe configuration.

Offline Vahe231991

• 11 Canyon Terrace
  • Liked: 462
  • Likes Given: 199

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Are they moving yet?

Screencaps from the SFN feed.

Edit: No, not yet.  First motion at midnight EDT = 04:00 UTC.

Now first motion scheduled at 12:30 am.

12:45 am: Didn't happen yet.

1 am: Still not seeing any motion.; Mobile Launch Platform still rests on the pedestals.

1:30 am: No visible change.

Why the delay?

SFN coverage; I don't see any other live feed sources:
« Last Edit: 07/02/2022 06:13 am by zubenelgenubi »

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
2 am EDT: MLP still rests upon the pedestals.  No explanation for the delay, and no indication of when or if the rollback will proceed tonight.

2:48 am: SFN webcast host says that NASA says the delay has been to allow further inspections of the crawler and the MLP.  Rollback is still planned for this morning, but no estimated first motion time given.

MLP still rests on the pedestals--has not yet been jacked up for crawler transport.

VAB arrival would now be in the middle of the day.

After 3 am: I can't see any position changes.  The platform appears to still rest on the pedestals.

Circa 3:25 am:  I see some vehicles leaving the pad.  Preparing for lift and transport?
« Last Edit: 07/02/2022 08:03 am by zubenelgenubi »

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Shortly before 4 am EDT: Jacking up the MLP off the launch pad pedestals has begun.

First motion of the crawler at ~4:12 am EDT = 08:12 UTC.

The stack is moving out of the pad spotlights and into relative darkness.

Most of the rollback will be in daylight.

The crawler will stop near the VAB perimeter to allow the Crew Access Arm to be swung and parked adjacent to the Orion craft--circa 11am EDT.
« Last Edit: 07/02/2022 08:47 am by zubenelgenubi »

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography