Author Topic: ANS - The first Dutch adventure in space - Documentary Trailer (now available)  (Read 4053 times)

Offline Paper Kosmonaut

• Grunn NL
    • PK's blog
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 5

I'm pretty sure that is not the thermal test article, but the Electrical Model. Besides the Flight Model the Electrical Model was the only ANS model which was fully equipped with every piece of avionics, electronics and test versions of the science instruments; exactly like what is present in Groningen.

Based on what you say here, it definitely is the electrical model, because it indeed is fully equipped and it has the yo-yo-box. I was told by others it probably was the thermal one and I trusted them. I never should trust people anyway... Nevertheless, Good to know! Thanks.

@Oersted:
We have tried to give the entire film that retro-feel. We didn't touch up all the archive film footage to keep that authentic look and we only used music from that time. That helps a lot.
PK - dei t dut mout t waiten!

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 15000
  • Likes Given: 9203

I'm pretty sure that is not the thermal test article, but the Electrical Model. Besides the Flight Model the Electrical Model was the only ANS model which was fully equipped with every piece of avionics, electronics and test versions of the science instruments; exactly like what is present in Groningen.

`Based on what you say here, it definitely is the electrical model, because it indeed is fully equipped and it has the yo-yo-box. I was told by others it probably was the thermal one and I trusted them. I never should trust people anyway... Nevertheless, Good to know! Thanks.

Well, courtesy of one of my co-volunteers at NRM I got my hands on some high-res images of the 'Groningen' model, from a visit in 2016. In combination with some digging in the archives I was able to piece together the origin of the 'Groningen' model.

And what they have in Grongingen is NOT the Electrical Model and also NOT the original Thermal Model.
The 'Groningen' model is actually the Thermal Model v2.0.

This needs some explaining. The first Thermal Model went thru thermal vacuum testing in Germany in 1972. Unfortunately, the first Thermal Model got contaminated with tiny droplets of lubricant oil, courtesy of a 'dirty' vacuum pump of the thermal vacuum chamber in Germany.

This original Thermal Model was thoroughly cleaned afterwards and modified to support final high-fidelity thermal vacuum testing at ESTEC, in 1974.

But, late in preparations it was found that some contamination still existed in the modified Thermal Model (aka Thermal Model v2.0). ESTEC was not willing to run the risk of cross-contaminating its (then state of the art) HBF3 facility. And thus the final thermal vacuum testing had to be done with a pristine version of ANS.
The Proto-Flight model (what we now know as the "spare" ANS or "backup flight model") was tied up in final ACS testing at the time, as well as serving as the ground-support "twin" for the Flight Model.
This left only the Flight Model itself available for the final thermal vacuum test.

The side effect was that the modified Thermal Model (aka Thermal Model v2.0) was never actually tested again. Instead it became available for PR & Public Display purposes. A display case on castor wheels was constructed around for those purposes. Below this post are a few images of it on display at a unknown location.

It is this modified Thermal Model that today sits in the museum in Groningen. So, Paper Kosmonaut had it right; it is the Thermal Model, albeit not the original one.

What threw me off initially is that the 'Groningen' model features a nearly complete set of external sensors, avioncis and science instruments hardware. Completing the setup to Flight Model standards was part of the modification after the first Thermal Vacuum test. Something I wasn't aware of until earlier today, when I read about in the personal memoirs of one of the ANS team members. And it explains why the 'Groningen' model is fully equipped with all the hardware, while the original Thermal Model wasn't.

The only thing that I can't explain is how the 'Groningen' model ended up with flight-like solar array panels, while earlier in its public display career it had development solar array panels. At some time they have must been switched out.
« Last Edit: 02/04/2022 11:50 am by woods170 »

Offline Paper Kosmonaut

• Grunn NL
    • PK's blog
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 5
Wow, Woods, that is some deep digging. Great story! Maybe I should make a film of it... (just kidding...)
Thanks again for the enlightenment!
PK - dei t dut mout t waiten!

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 15000
  • Likes Given: 9203
This documentary premiered today in the movie theater of the Aviodrome aerospace museum in the Netherlands. And damn it was good! Premiere was combined witn an ANS reveal event of NRM.

Job well done by Jasper and Lotte. Kudos to Beeldlijn for production and financing.

It is set to have a second premiere in Groningen in mid-april and will eventually become available for-rent online.

Online leovinus

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 653
  • Likes Given: 1256
This documentary premiered today in the movie theater of the Aviodrome aerospace museum in the Netherlands. And damn it was good! Premiere was combined witn an ANS reveal event of NRM.

Job well done by Jasper and Lotte. Kudos to Beeldlijn for production and financing.

It is set to have a second premiere in Groningen in mid-april and will eventually become available for-rent online.

Yesterday, I checked the stichtingbeeldlijn.nl website but the full ANS movie is not for rent or sale yet. And eagerly awaiting the release to Vimeo or similar.

Offline Hobbes-22

• Acme Engineering
    • Acme Engineering
  • Liked: 465
  • Likes Given: 398
I had the opportunity to see this documentary today at the NRM, along with a presentation by Woods170 about the hardware built for the ANS project, and a chance to see the new ANS exhibit.

The documentary is excellent; the main focus is interviews with some of the main players, interspersed with archive footage of the construction and launch. I really enjoyed getting to know more about the project.

I think I might build my own model of ANS...

Online leovinus

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 653
  • Likes Given: 1256

Yesterday, I checked the stichtingbeeldlijn.nl website but the full ANS movie is not for rent or sale yet. And eagerly awaiting the release to Vimeo or similar.
Still nothing :/

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography