Author Topic: New David Stumpf Minuteman Book  (Read 936 times)

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
  • Liked: 7303
  • Likes Given: 1179
New David Stumpf Minuteman Book
« on: 03/18/2021 11:26 pm »
David Stumpf, who wrote the definitive Titan 2 ICBM history a few years ago, has a brand new book out this month titled "Minuteman: A Technical History of the Missile That Defined American Nuclear Warfare".  I'm going to order this one and read it after I'm done with Eric Berger's "Liftoff".   Great to see aerospace history back on the "bookshelf" after what seemed like a dry spell.

https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=PLIPEAAAQBAJ&gl=us&hl=en-US&source=productsearch&utm_source=HA_Desktop_US&utm_medium=SEM&utm_campaign=PLA&pcampaignid=MKT-FDR-na-us-1000189-Med-pla-bk-Evergreen-Jul1520-PLA-eBooks_History&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwdySuou77wIVydXACh1jfwQyEAQYASABEgLF7vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 03/18/2021 11:28 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline RanulfC

• Heus tu Omnis! Vigilate Hoc!
  • Liked: 898
  • Likes Given: 32
Re: New David Stumpf Minuteman Book
« Reply #1 on: 05/07/2021 08:26 pm »
David Stumpf, who wrote the definitive Titan 2 ICBM history a few years ago, has a brand new book out this month titled "Minuteman: A Technical History of the Missile That Defined American Nuclear Warfare".  I'm going to order this one and read it after I'm done with Eric Berger's "Liftoff".   Great to see aerospace history back on the "bookshelf" after what seemed like a dry spell.

https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=PLIPEAAAQBAJ&gl=us&hl=en-US&source=productsearch&utm_source=HA_Desktop_US&utm_medium=SEM&utm_campaign=PLA&pcampaignid=MKT-FDR-na-us-1000189-Med-pla-bk-Evergreen-Jul1520-PLA-eBooks_History&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwdySuou77wIVydXACh1jfwQyEAQYASABEgLF7vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

- Ed Kyle

Let us know how it is :)
A little 'funny' (but actually not really, but we still smile about it) from one of our engineers on the MMIII:

"We are currently 50 years into a planned 10 year deployment... And some of out stuff still works"

Randy
From The Amazing Catstronaut on the Black Arrow LV:
British physics, old chap. It's undignified to belch flames and effluvia all over the pad, what. A true gentlemen's orbital conveyance lifts itself into the air unostentatiously, with the minimum of spectacle and a modicum of grace. Not like our American cousins' launch vehicles, eh?

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 6067
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: 05/07/2021 10:47 pm »
I wrote a cover blurb for the book. He previously wrote a Titan II book and I communicated with him about that (I think I helped him out a bit with some aspects, but I really cannot remember). As a result, his publisher sent me this manuscript last year and asked if I was willing to provide a blurb. I printed out all 600 pages of the manuscript at work and somehow accidentally printed a second copy (shhh... don't tell my employer that I used all that paper!).

It's very comprehensive. Goes into all kinds of stuff.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
  • Liked: 7303
  • Likes Given: 1179
« Reply #3 on: 07/11/2022 12:56 am »
I've been reading this book.   As I expected, it is another significant work.  David Stumpf wanted to do a book about the huge ABRES program, which I would love to see, but he found that too much was still classified for that effort, so he started the Minuteman book instead.  The book primarily focuses on the development of the Minuteman 1 and 2 variants, again largely because much about the still-deployed Minuteman 3 missile remains secret. 

Like the Titan 2 book, this is a detailed technical history, leaning toward the utterly comprehensive, though not completely there because the program has lasted for so many years, evolving during that time and continuing today.  David writes that he had to edit his text down at one point from more than 220,000 words!  The list of reviewers and contributors is impressive.  The author interviewed extensively and reviewed not just paper, but hardware like RVs and guidance computer equipment that most don't get to see.  The list of notes and references runs 75 or so pages. 

The Minuteman ICBM was possible thanks to big advances in solid propellants, lightweight inertial guidance systems, and lightweight reentry vehicles from the likes of GALCIT at Caltech, JPL, Thiokol, ARC, Aerojet, Autonetics, Avco, and others.

Mr. Stumpf completed the book despite Parkinson's disease limiting his ability to type in 2017.  Thank you David!

- Ed Kyle

« Last Edit: 07/11/2022 07:26 pm by edkyle99 »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography