Author Topic: Perseverance, Mars 2020 Rover : Updates  (Read 46523 times)

Online Rondaz

• Liked: 4736
  • Likes Given: 164
Re: Perseverance, Mars 2020 Rover : Updates
« Reply #61 on: 07/13/2022 02:44 pm »
What would you take from #Mars? As @NASAPersevere fills its 10th tube with martian soil, European scientists discuss what the best samples for a return to #Earth would be. The first Mars Sample Return Science Group meeting took place last month in the 🇺🇸.

https://twitter.com/esaspaceflight/status/1547186041660096512

Online eeergo

« Reply #62 on: 07/13/2022 03:53 pm »
Perseverance really made a mess upon landing didn't it. And that's without checking out the surroundings of the skycrane's stage crash-landing site!

https://twitter.com/landru79/status/1547245219074244610
-DaviD-

Offline bolun

• Europe
  • Liked: 752
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #63 on: 08/24/2022 05:00 pm »
From ESA - Mars Express updates

Related article: New water map of Mars will prove invaluable for future exploration

Water-rich minerals at Jezero Crater

Jezero crater and its surroundings on Mars display a rich array of minerals that have been altered by water in the planet’s past. These minerals are predominately clays and carbonate salts. Of the minerals identified in this particular region, carbonate is a salt, Fe/Mg phyllosilicates are iron- and magnesium-rich clays, and hydrated silica is a form of silicon dioxide that forms the gemstone opal on Earth. The close-up data were obtained from a global map of minerals produced by ESA’s Mars Express and NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter.

NASA’s Perseverance rover, which landed on Mars in 2020, is currently exploring Jezero crater and its surroundings.

https://www.esa.int/ESA_Multimedia/Images/2022/08/Water-rich_minerals_at_Jezero_Crater

Image credit: ESA/Mars Express (OMEGA and HRSC) and NASA/Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (CRISM and HiRISE)

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 51837
  • Likes Given: 22208
« Reply #64 on: 09/02/2022 05:49 am »
https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/mission/status/401/a-day-full-of-moxie/

BLOG | August 31, 2022
A Day Full of MOXIE
Written by Michael Hecht, Mars Oxygen In-Situ Resource Utilization Experiment (MOXIE) Principal Investigator at Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Today, we published our first peer-reviewed, post-landing paper on MOXIE, detailing the seven oxygen generation runs we completed during Perseverance’s first year on Mars. We’ve made considerable progress since those first seven runs, completing run #11 this past weekend – and it turned out to be the most productive MOXIE run to date!

This is the peak of the Martian winter, when cold nights and relatively high atmospheric pressures conspire to produce the highest air density of the year. The denser the air, the more CO2 MOXIE has to work with, and the more oxygen it can make. We’re always extremely cautious about designing runs for the irreplaceable flight model on Mars, but we pushed the envelope a little this time to briefly produce oxygen at a rate of nearly 10.5 grams per hour. If you were to double that, a human being could survive on it – it’s not a lot, but a record for us.

We have a long way to go before being able to make the 2 to 3 kilograms per hour that will be needed to make the tens of tons of propellant to lift a human crew of four to six astronauts off the surface of Mars and into orbit – the main goal of future oxygen generation technology to succeed MOXIE. But that will require 25 kilowatts of power, and Perseverance only gives us 100 watts, so we’re doing fine. And we’re learning how to make the next MOXIE a lot more power efficient. Right now, we only use about 10% of our power to generate oxygen. The rest goes to running the compressor that collects the air, to our electronics, and to making up for heat loss from our 800 degrees Celsius electrolysis unit through the wires and tubes.

In a full-scale version, we expect to use more like 90% of the power through a few simple changes, like running the compressor at lower pressure and designing a more efficient oven. I’d love to help build that unit, but one step at a time…

Image caption:

MOXIE Lowered into Rover: Technicians in the clean room are carefully lowering the Mars Oxygen In-Situ Resource Utilization Experiment (MOXIE) instrument into the belly of the Perseverance rover. Credits: NASA/JPL-Caltech.

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 655
  • Likes Given: 873
« Reply #65 on: 09/05/2022 04:05 am »
From ESA - Mars Express updates

Related article: New water map of Mars will prove invaluable for future exploration

Water-rich minerals at Jezero Crater

Jezero crater and its surroundings on Mars display a rich array of minerals that have been altered by water in the planet’s past. These minerals are predominately clays and carbonate salts. Of the minerals identified in this particular region, carbonate is a salt, Fe/Mg phyllosilicates are iron- and magnesium-rich clays, and hydrated silica is a form of silicon dioxide that forms the gemstone opal on Earth. The close-up data were obtained from a global map of minerals produced by ESA’s Mars Express and NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter.

NASA’s Perseverance rover, which landed on Mars in 2020, is currently exploring Jezero crater and its surroundings.

https://www.esa.int/ESA_Multimedia/Images/2022/08/Water-rich_minerals_at_Jezero_Crater

Image credit: ESA/Mars Express (OMEGA and HRSC) and NASA/Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (CRISM and HiRISE)

Looks like the rover has scrupulously avoided areas of carbonate and opal....
"There is nobody who is a bigger fan of sending robots to Mars than me... But I believe firmly that the best, the most comprehensive, the most successful exploration will be done by humans" Steve Squyres

Offline Phil Stooke

• Canada
  • Liked: 991
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #66 on: 09/05/2022 06:53 am »
Yes indeed, but the carbonates near the crater rim are a later goal of the mission.

Offline Dalhousie

« Reply #67 on: 09/06/2022 02:11 am »
Yes indeed, but the carbonates near the crater rim are a later goal of the mission.

Still, the lake floor carbonates would have been at least worth examination, even if not sampled.  Are they deuteric alteration, or from percolating groundwater? Residual lake sediments or spring discharges?
"There is nobody who is a bigger fan of sending robots to Mars than me... But I believe firmly that the best, the most comprehensive, the most successful exploration will be done by humans" Steve Squyres

Offline Dalhousie

« Reply #68 on: 09/06/2022 02:13 am »
Perseverance seems to be driving in circles.  No explanation I can find on the NASA web site or even the Unmanned spaceflight forum, which is sometimes more helpful

Offline Phil Stooke

• Canada
  • Liked: 991
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #69 on: 09/06/2022 03:17 am »
The rover did a quick survey at Enchanted Lake and the 'bacon strip' areas, then chose sites to sample.  They sampled two places on the 'bacon strip' and are now heading back to Enchanted Lake to get that.  Every tube is precious so they didn't sample at Enchanted lake initially until they were sure from their survey that it was important. 

Here is a mission blog about the return to Enchanted Lake and the bit of debris they were studying for a while.

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/mission/status/397/perseverance-soon-heads-to-enchanted-lake/

Offline Dalhousie

« Reply #70 on: 09/07/2022 05:38 am »
The rover did a quick survey at Enchanted Lake and the 'bacon strip' areas, then chose sites to sample.  They sampled two places on the 'bacon strip' and are now heading back to Enchanted Lake to get that.  Every tube is precious so they didn't sample at Enchanted lake initially until they were sure from their survey that it was important. 

Here is a mission blog about the return to Enchanted Lake and the bit of debris they were studying for a while.

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/mission/status/397/perseverance-soon-heads-to-enchanted-lake/

Thanks.  It certainly could have been better explained by the mission. 
« Last Edit: 09/07/2022 05:39 am by Dalhousie »

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #71 on: 09/13/2022 05:05 pm »
Webcast for briefing on Thursday

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #72 on: 09/14/2022 09:23 pm »

NASA’s Perseverance Mars Rover has arrived at an ancient delta in Jezero Crater, one of the best places on the Red Planet to search for potential  signs of ancient life. The delta is an area where scientists surmise that a river once flowed billions of years ago into a lake and deposited sediments in a fan shape.

Rachel Kronyak, a member of the Perseverance science operations team, guides the viewer through this Martian panorama and its intriguing sedimentary rocks. It’s the most detailed view ever returned from the Martian surface, consisting of 2.5 billion pixels and generated from 1,118 individual Mastcam-Z images. Those images were acquired on June 12, 13, 16, 17, and 20, 2022 (the 466th, 467th, 470th, 471st, and 474th Martian day, or sol, of Perseverance’s mission).

In this panorama, an area called Hogwallow Flats is visible, as is Skinner Ridge, where two rock core samples were taken.

The color enhancement in this image improves the visual contrast and accentuates color differences. This makes it easier for the science team to use their everyday experience to interpret the landscape.

For more information on the Perseverance rover, visit https://mars.nasa.gov/perseverance.

Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/ASU/MSSS

Offline Dalhousie

« Reply #73 on: 09/15/2022 02:49 am »

In this panorama, an area called Hogwallow Flats is visible, as is Skinner Ridge, where two rock core samples were taken.

Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/ASU/MSSS

I keep reading this as "Hogwarts Flats"

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1001
  • Likes Given: 1252
« Reply #74 on: 09/15/2022 05:41 pm »
Webcast for briefing on Thursday

FYI this Youtube capture somehow ate 2-3 minutes of Ken Farley's opening comments.  I was (am) watching it live, and I went back over that glitch multiple times.  Then I switched my watching to the regular NASA TV feed (12 hour buffer on Youtube) and saw that there was indeed another 2-3 minutes from him.  My guess is that something in the encoding / transmission path was severely buffered and then burped itself back to "live".
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3631
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #75 on: 09/15/2022 06:17 pm »
New Perseverance Mars rock samples ‘most important’ of mission:

Offline vjkane

• Liked: 472
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #76 on: 09/15/2022 06:49 pm »
Press release for today's briefing.

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/9261/nasas-perseverance-rover-investigates-geologically-rich-mars-terrain/

I listened to the briefing.  Highlights:

1) Delta materials contain organics and sulfates (the latter indicating salty water when deposits were made)
2) After collecting two more pairs of samples and preparing one additional witness tube, Perseverance will deposit a sample cache of the one each of the paired samples plus witness tube(s)
3) Perseverance will then continue exploring up the delta toward the crater rim for about a year. Hope to continue exploring beyond the rim.

Offline Dalhousie

« Reply #77 on: 09/16/2022 01:53 am »
Press release for today's briefing.

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/9261/nasas-perseverance-rover-investigates-geologically-rich-mars-terrain/

I listened to the briefing.  Highlights:

1) Delta materials contain organics and sulfates (the latter indicating salty water when deposits were made)
2) After collecting two more pairs of samples and preparing one additional witness tube, Perseverance will deposit a sample cache of the one each of the paired samples plus witness tube(s)
3) Perseverance will then continue exploring up the delta toward the crater rim for about a year. Hope to continue exploring beyond the rim.

Further details...

Two locations described, Wildcat ridge and Skinner ridge, the first being stratigraphically below the second.

Wildcat ridge is a fine-grained sediment containing sulphates, clays, and organics.

Organics have been found in every sample to date (detection limit is 10 ppm BTW) but is highest in the Wildcat ridge area where they include aromatic compounds.

Skinner ridge is a heterolithic, well-rounded sandstone, with grains from potentially hundreds of km beyond the crater rim.

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 5928
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #78 on: 09/16/2022 02:15 pm »

I know I saw an explanation of this a year or so ago, but I've forgotten. Can somebody explain what a witness tube is and what it is for?

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 19904
  • Likes Given: 10379
« Reply #79 on: 09/16/2022 02:17 pm »

I know I saw an explanation of this a year or so ago, but I've forgotten. Can somebody explain what a witness tube is and what it is for?
Almost certainly this is to function as a kind of experimental control, to check for contamination. Basically go through all the motions of a sample tube, but don't put anything in it.

EDIT: Yeah, confirmed:
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/images/pia24751-witness-tube-in-perseverance-sample-caching-system
Witness tubes are similar to the sample tubes that will hold Martian rock and sediment, except they have been preloaded with a variety of materials that can capture molecular and particulate contaminants. They are opened on the Martian surface to "witness" the ambient environment near sample collection sites. With samples returned to Earth in the future, the witness tubes would show whether Earth contaminants were present during sample collection. Such information would help scientists tell which materials in the Martian samples may be of Earth origin.
« Last Edit: 09/16/2022 02:18 pm by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography