Author Topic: Star Trek: Lower Decks (CBS All Access/animated)  (Read 6846 times)

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2222
  • Likes Given: 3865
Re: Star Trek: Lower Decks (CBS All Access/animated)
« Reply #20 on: 10/27/2021 05:27 am »
I decided to check the show out after resisting it awhile. It's not actually too bad; but the garish, crude-caricature animation style for the characters and the slightly madcap, try-hard type of humour just isn't for me. I may have more luck - aesthetically - with the upcoming 'Star Trek: Prodigy'.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3630
  • Likes Given: 220
Star Trek: Lower Decks (CBS All Access/animated)
« Reply #21 on: 10/27/2021 07:09 am »
There’s a video here looking at why adult animation tends to look all the same, and how this might be changing now:

I actually find the animation and designs on Lower Decks to be above the average for this kind of thing, there’s far worse examples out there.
« Last Edit: 10/27/2021 07:11 am by Star One »

Offline old_geez

• Kenmore
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: 10/27/2021 08:52 am »
I just finished both seasons. Surprisingly, I really enjoyed it.

Offline electricdawn

• Liked: 614
  • Likes Given: 1479
« Reply #23 on: 10/27/2021 09:10 am »
We watched the first half of season 1 and we actually enjoyed it. Maybe not so much that we finished it, but that may come later.

Not bad, and certainly not the fiasco some made it out to be. I'll give it a B.

Offline libra

• Liked: 1162
  • Likes Given: 2299
« Reply #24 on: 10/27/2021 09:41 am »
When I first watched it I wasn't really getting it, but the more I have the more I like it - to the point of binge-watching series 2.

I find it tends to have a Family Guy feel to it compared to say The Simpsons.
Though I stopped watching Family Guy years ago I think Lower Decks is a much more positive program than I remember the former being.

Some says it has strong Futurama vibes. Which is not a bad thing per se.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #25 on: 10/27/2021 02:05 pm »
When I first watched it I wasn't really getting it, but the more I have the more I like it - to the point of binge-watching series 2.

I find it tends to have a Family Guy feel to it compared to say The Simpsons.
Though I stopped watching Family Guy years ago I think Lower Decks is a much more positive program than I remember the former being.

It lacks much of the narcissism that bedevils shows like Family Guy.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 5926
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #26 on: 10/27/2021 02:28 pm »

I haven't watched much of it. Futurama had a certain wackiness/silliness to it as it played with sci-fi tropes. But it also had affection for its characters. It was never nasty. I'm curious how Lower Decks plays with Star Trek's tropes. I know that it is very self-referential.

Online ccdengr

• Liked: 364
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #27 on: 10/27/2021 03:28 pm »
I'm curious how Lower Decks plays with Star Trek's tropes.
Speaking as a 60+ original Trekkie, there's a lot of fanservice, but I think LOWER DECKS is all in good fun and properly in the Star Trek tradition.  Some of the S2 episodes were just outstanding.

For calibration, I have watched only a tiny fraction of Discovery and really can't get into it.  I watched all of the earlier series and PICARD, FWIW.

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 263
  • Likes Given: 417
« Reply #28 on: 10/27/2021 06:08 pm »
I decided to check the show out after resisting it awhile. It's not actually too bad; but the garish, crude-caricature animation style for the characters and the slightly madcap, try-hard type of humour just isn't for me. I may have more luck - aesthetically - with the upcoming 'Star Trek: Prodigy'.

I just want to point out that while Lower Decks is very definitely adult humor, Prodigy is aimed at the juvenile market. It was developed for children's TV network Nickelodeon and was originally going to be exclusive to Nick for the first year, but financial and contract restraints seem to have later reversed that and now it will be exclusive to Paramount+ for a year or so before going to Nick.

After delays caused by COVID, Paramount+ seems to be going all-in on new Star Trek shows running year-round. Star Trek: Lower Decks finished its second season two weeks ago and Star Trek: Prodigy debuts Thursday, 28 Oct in the US. Season 4 of Star Trek: Discovery Season 4 begins 18 Nov. Season 2 of Star Trek: Picard will arrive in January 2022, and it is widely expected that Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (the Captain Pike series) will follow that, debuting in late March or so.

Offline Norm38

• Liked: 1255
  • Likes Given: 2265
« Reply #29 on: 11/20/2021 04:24 am »
The opening credits, at the Borg battle where they NOPE, cracks me up every time.

Offline Star One

• UK
Star Trek: Lower Decks (CBS All Access/animated)
« Reply #30 on: 12/04/2021 09:51 am »

I just want to point out that while Lower Decks is very definitely adult humor, Prodigy is aimed at the juvenile market. It was developed for children's TV network Nickelodeon and was originally going to be exclusive to Nick for the first year, but financial and contract restraints seem to have later reversed that and now it will be exclusive to Paramount+ for a year or so before going to Nick.

After delays caused by COVID, Paramount+ seems to be going all-in on new Star Trek shows running year-round. Star Trek: Lower Decks finished its second season two weeks ago and Star Trek: Prodigy debuts Thursday, 28 Oct in the US. Season 4 of Star Trek: Discovery Season 4 begins 18 Nov. Season 2 of Star Trek: Picard will arrive in January 2022, and it is widely expected that Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (the Captain Pike series) will follow that, debuting in late March or so.
They certainly screwed up the international launch of Discovery season 4 pulling it from Netflix at the last minute and then having to find last minute alternatives in many international territories that donít have Paramount+.
« Last Edit: 12/06/2021 08:10 pm by Star One »

Offline old_geez

• Kenmore
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: 12/06/2021 06:54 pm »
Here in Australia, I cancelled a subscription to another service so I could subscribe to Paramount+ once it was announced Discovery would be available here.
A day later, Amazon Prime had it on their list.

Offline jackvancouver

• Video Tech expert
  • Vancouver, Canada
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #32 on: 07/23/2022 08:27 am »
Cat doctor is best doctor...

But she's only seconded by Voyager EMH MK I.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #33 on: 07/24/2022 09:08 am »
Season 3 trailer:

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography