Author Topic: Forum Bug Reports  (Read 67079 times)

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
Re: Forum Bug Reports
« Reply #20 on: 09/24/2020 03:29 pm »
I just noticed that when I look at my profile, it shows "Likes Given: 0". Zero!

I know that is wrong since I give our more likes than I get (philosophy of mine).

Temporary bug?

Intermittent bug it seems?  Just refreshing the page can change whether it's showing or not.  Will let our webmaster know.

Offline leovinus

• Porto, Portugal
  • Liked: 866
  • Likes Given: 1727
« Reply #21 on: 09/24/2020 03:34 pm »

I know that is wrong since I give our more likes than I get (philosophy of mine).

Temporary bug?

Intermittent bug it seems?  Just refreshing the page can change whether it's showing or not.  Will let our webmaster know.

FYI There were a couple of forum hiccups around that time. Loaded pages on my iPhone as usual but the mobile theme was dropped a few times. Then, just reload and ok again. Now all seems calmed down.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #22 on: 09/24/2020 04:01 pm »
Yeah, Mark was doing something. He's aware of the profile thing :)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10199
  • Likes Given: 11934
« Reply #23 on: 09/24/2020 07:46 pm »

Temporary bug?

RESTORED! Guess I just had good/bad timing...  ;)
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline nicp

• Retired software engineer.
  • UK
  • Liked: 130
  • Likes Given: 1341
« Reply #24 on: 10/10/2020 12:49 pm »
I've recently encountered an annoyance when reading the forums on my iPhone over a coffee.
I suspect this is a new bug in the Safari web browser and nothing to do with the forum, but I would like to know if anyone else has seen the same issue.

What happens is (and I'm on the 'Full Site') I'm happily reading a long series of posts and suddenly the phone decides to 'double space' the whole (rather long) page vertically, making the whole page much taller and losing my place.  It then takes me half a minute or so to scroll down to wherever I had previously got to.

If I'm on Firefox/Windows or Firefox/Linux this never happens.

This problem started maybe six weeks ago. OS version is currently 14.0.1, but I'm sure it also happened with 13.*.
« Last Edit: 10/10/2020 01:09 pm by nicp »
For Vectron!

Offline chawleysnow

• California, USA
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #25 on: 10/25/2020 05:32 am »
No idea if bug or feature, but the last few days when I click into the forum from the front page I get a full screen ad I have to manually close. Occurs on mobile, don’t recall seeing anything similar on desktop.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #26 on: 10/25/2020 02:06 pm »
No idea if bug or feature, but the last few days when I click into the forum from the front page I get a full screen ad I have to manually close. Occurs on mobile, don’t recall seeing anything similar on desktop.

Not a feature.  If anyone else if getting this let us know.  You're only the second person to mention this happening so far.

Offline bcanon23

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #27 on: 10/25/2020 03:31 pm »

Not a feature.  If anyone else if getting this let us know.  You're only the second person to mention this happening so far.

Exactly the same thing happening when on my mobile since a few days. Desktop/laptop no issues.

Online Silmfeanor

• Utrecht, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 403
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #28 on: 10/25/2020 05:58 pm »

same. fullscreen add when going from frontpage to forums, only on mobile.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #29 on: 10/25/2020 08:15 pm »
This is not by design. Mark is investigating.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #30 on: 10/25/2020 09:38 pm »
I know this is likely just lack of maintenance and not a bug, but just FYI the calendar function still shows NROL-44 having launched on its Delta IV Heavy October 16th.  Unscheduled launches, such as Dragon Crew 1, don't show up at all, so I would think that NROL-44 ought to have the same attribute?  In other words, it's not still showing on 10/16/20 just to have somewhere for it to go while waiting for the launch to be actually rescheduled.

Like I say, I imagine that's just a quick maintenance thing, I just didn't see anywhere else to report it.  :)
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline Cheapchips

• UK
  • Liked: 861
  • Likes Given: 1931
« Reply #31 on: 10/26/2020 12:32 pm »
Is the new pop down from the top ads an intented feature? They're rather obnoxious when using the full site on mobile.  :-\
« Last Edit: 10/26/2020 12:32 pm by Cheapchips »

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #32 on: 10/26/2020 12:53 pm »
Apparently Google made some recent changes to their advertising.  Mark changed some ad settings on the site this morning to hopefully make things less intrusive.  He said it may take a little time for the changes to go into effect.

Offline Cheapchips

• UK
  • Liked: 861
  • Likes Given: 1931
« Reply #33 on: 10/26/2020 02:26 pm »
Apparently Google made some recent changes to their advertising.  Mark changed some ad settings on the site this morning to hopefully make things less intrusive.  He said it may take a little time for the changes to go into effect.

That's fixed the issue for me. Thanks both.

Offline chawleysnow

• California, USA
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #34 on: 10/29/2020 09:02 pm »
FWIW I’m still seeing the large ad on first click through to the forum side. Chrome mobile on iOS.

Offline Jeff Lerner

• Toronto, Canada
  • Liked: 270
  • Likes Given: 240
« Reply #35 on: 10/29/2020 09:10 pm »
FWIW I’m still seeing the large ad on first click through to the forum side. Chrome mobile on iOS.

Me too...iPad..IOS 13..Safari...
« Last Edit: 10/29/2020 09:11 pm by Jeff Lerner »

Offline LucR

• Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 101
« Reply #36 on: 11/01/2020 12:47 pm »
What happens is (and I'm on the 'Full Site') I'm happily reading a long series of posts and suddenly the phone decides to 'double space' the whole (rather long) page vertically, making the whole page much taller and losing my place.  It then takes me half a minute or so to scroll down to wherever I had previously got to.

I'm seeing this too, it happens on my iPhone 8 but not my (much older) iPad. It seems to be related to the loading of tweets, perhaps a style sheet conflict?

Offline PreferToLurk

• Liked: 388
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #37 on: 11/30/2020 07:46 pm »
When I click on the "new" link next to a forum topic that has new posts in it, the "new" tag from the thread below the one I actually clicked through will go away, along with the tag from the topic I clicked into. 

This only happens if i click the NEW tag (which takes you to the first unread post), it does NOT happen if I enter the thread through the normal thread title link, nor if I click in through the last post link. 

I am on chrome, fully updated and public version.

This has been happening for at least a week. Cant remember exactly when it started, but it hasn't been that long. I recall being confused and questioning my sanity for a day or two before I realized it was a bug.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #38 on: 11/30/2020 07:57 pm »
When I click on the "new" link next to a forum topic that has new posts in it, the "new" tag from the thread below the one I actually clicked through will go away, along with the tag from the topic I clicked into. 

This only happens if i click the NEW tag (which takes you to the first unread post), it does NOT happen if I enter the thread through the normal thread title link, nor if I click in through the last post link. 

This has been happening for at least a week. Cant remember exactly when it started, but it hasn't been that long. I recall being confused and questioning my sanity for a day or two before I realized it was a bug.

What operating system, and what page are you clicking from?

Offline PreferToLurk

• Liked: 388
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #39 on: 12/01/2020 05:05 am »

What operating system, and what page are you clicking from?

Windows 10 Home

Any forum page.  If I click the yellow NEW button, it will clear that thread, and the one below it.  Very weird.  But if your not having floods of reports on this, it may be something on my end. But I cant for the life of me figure out what it would be.  I even disabled all my add-ons, and it still does it. 

Some extra testing --  If you click the new button, it will only clear one page worth of posts, so if you are 3 pages in you have to click new, then go back 3 times for the button to go away.  This is (I think anyway) intended behavior. Any post you could see on that page gets cleared as read, and then when you go back the next unseen post on the next page will be the new target of the new button.  ---  Anyway, I noticed that the bug I am experiencing will do the same thing - it will only clear one page at a time from the bugged topic below. So its kinda like I am opening both threads at the same time.

Hope that makes some sense?

Edit: did some searching on simple machines website. Found someone with the same problem from 5 years ago.  No solution mentioned though.  Makes it VERY likely to be on my end somehow.
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=533813.msg3793587#msg3793587
« Last Edit: 12/01/2020 05:29 am by PreferToLurk »

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography