Author Topic: Star Trek: Picard  (Read 37938 times)

Offline Oli

• Liked: 605
  • Likes Given: 60
Re: Star Trek: Picard
« Reply #100 on: 01/27/2020 10:47 am »
Movies & TV shows are products of the times they're made in

Sure, but I think sci-fi needs to offer more than just present day events in a futuristic setting. At the core of Trek is a utopian society. Present day stuff was usually encountered on alien planets. In this show they destroy that utopian society at the very beginning with that FNN interview. Trek is only used because of the brand. In fact, I would argue Trek, and Picard in particular, is not equipped at all to deal with our (or at least America's) postmodern condition.

Picard seems ouright ridiculous in that context:
« Last Edit: 01/27/2020 10:47 am by Oli »

Offline apace

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #101 on: 01/27/2020 11:00 am »
In the german magazine "heise" Patrick Stewart votes for ending human space exploration and using that money for climate protection: https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Klimawandel-the-final-frontier-Enterprise-Captain-will-lieber-die-Erde-retten-4641389.html

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2238
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #102 on: 01/27/2020 11:26 am »
I've heard similar sentiments before. But as usual: why pick on Space? We all know that money wasted on gambling, narcotics, wasteful military projects and battling diseases caused by smoking and obesity make Space exploration a drop in the bucket by comparison. I doubt Mr Stewart let alone other famous people could quote a single budget figure for any civilian, taxpayer space venture unless he did research. And many folks don't even realize that space technology has done and will continue to play a crucial role in climate change monitoring. Not so much human spaceflight, sure, but... :(
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3968
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #103 on: 01/27/2020 11:44 am »
In the german magazine "heise" Patrick Stewart votes for ending human space exploration and using that money for climate protection: https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Klimawandel-the-final-frontier-Enterprise-Captain-will-lieber-die-Erde-retten-4641389.html

Half the time it will turn out the person has been quoted out of context in these interviews.

Offline HVM

• Finland
  • Liked: 1202
  • Likes Given: 594
« Reply #104 on: 01/27/2020 11:52 am »
Why should we care about actor's opinion on anything, outside theater acting and drama? Maybe screenwriter's but not much more.

Offline alexterrell

• Germany
  • Liked: 184
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #105 on: 01/27/2020 12:19 pm »

I thought it was Vulcan that was destroyed in the J J Abrams reboot. I remember it as Vulcan, because that's when Spock's parents die.
You're right - Nemesis was 2002 - but its storyplot was about the Romulans.

The older Spock recounts to the younger Kirk how he was travelling with "red matter" (yeah right) to the Romulan system to prevent the super nova, but he arrived too late.

Spock and the evil Romulan ended up going back in time to "reboot" the series, and give a parallel time line.  (And also destroy Vulcan, to explain why there are so few Vulcans in later time lines).

I watched Picard last night and it seemed pretty good. Especially the contrast between an old French château and starfleet, which he pops off to visit for the afternoon (which makes sense, if you have beaming technology). I think part of the story is that Picard has wasted away in retirement (or retirement has made him older), and I suspect as the series progresses he will get faster and stronger - more like the old Picard.   

I would have thought an Android like Data would know she was an android. How was she at school sports? (or explained away by "not yet activated")

I think the series will work out, assuming they don't get sucked into time travel which only ever leads to nonsense or comedy.

Online Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #106 on: 01/27/2020 02:25 pm »
I would have thought an Android like Data would know she was an android. How was she at school sports? (or explained away by "not yet activated")

Dahj would not be the first. Data's "mother", Juliana Tainer, did not know she was really an android in the episode "Inheritance".

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Inheritance_(episode)

As for Dahj (and Soji) I suspect they never went to school and don't really have parents. I think her "mother" that she talked to is just a hologram, you see it briefly glitch when Dahj points out she hadn't mentioned Picard. Commander Maddox and his team built them using ex-Borg technology and implemented false memories of growing up. That's why Picard says "those memories are yours and no one can ever take them away".

Offline MikeAtkinson

• Bracknell, England
  • Liked: 784
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #107 on: 01/27/2020 03:51 pm »
[spoiler]
The snatch squad was really incompetent - if you have beaming technology just beam the victim to a holding cell. Preferably when they are alone. If they have to beam in, don't kill anyone or bother with a bag over the head just tag them and beam out. Or beam in some knock-out gas. Or any one of a hundred more sensible tactics.

Again the second time why try and kill someone you just wanted to kidnap the previous day. All the trace evidence would give forensics a field day. Attacking with Picard present would be bound to lead to a major investigation. And can they just beam in to the Starfleet campus with no-one noticing.

[/spoiler]

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #108 on: 01/27/2020 05:17 pm »
Spoiler Alert

"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1309
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #109 on: 01/28/2020 01:42 am »
The older Spock recounts to the younger Kirk how he was travelling with "red matter" (yeah right) to the Romulan system to prevent the super nova, but he arrived too late.

Spock and the evil Romulan ended up going back in time to "reboot" the series, and give a parallel time line.  (And also destroy Vulcan, to explain why there are so few Vulcans in later time lines).

I watched Picard last night and it seemed pretty good. Especially the contrast between an old French château and starfleet, which he pops off to visit for the afternoon (which makes sense, if you have beaming technology). I think part of the story is that Picard has wasted away in retirement (or retirement has made him older), and I suspect as the series progresses he will get faster and stronger - more like the old Picard.   

I think the series will work out, assuming they don't get sucked into time travel which only ever leads to nonsense or comedy.

See, this is why I hate Time Travel stuff, even though it's well-established in the Star Trek universe, because it creates paradoxes.

If Romulus is destroyed in the JJ Abrams rebooted timeline, then that timeline cannot get to the events of Star Trek Nemesis, where the titular Nemesis is Romulan. And the events of Star Trek Nemesis are what give us the death of Data.

So I don't see how Star Trek Picard can have its cake and eat it too -- ie. how can they have the destruction of Romulus and yet also have the death of Data?
I wonder what the respective stardates are for these 2 events within this timeline, because the destruction of Romulus would have to happen after Data gets killed.

Offline Khadgars

• Orange County, California
  • Liked: 1131
  • Likes Given: 3155
« Reply #110 on: 01/28/2020 01:46 am »
Why should we care about actor's opinion on anything, outside theater acting and drama? Maybe screenwriter's but not much more.

I agree, except their voices carry a lot of weight.
Evil triumphs when good men do nothing - Thomas Jefferson

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #111 on: 01/28/2020 01:52 am »
See, this is why I hate Time Travel stuff, even though it's well-established in the Star Trek universe, because it creates paradoxes.

The whole Star Trek universe is a Swiss cheese of temporal paradoxes now.

Personally, I love it. It's what humans do with advanced technology - screw everything up.

It fits with the overall arch of Star Trek. Peace is a process of reigning in rogue madmen, or well meaning rule breakers, who are enabled by advanced technology.

Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Online Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #112 on: 01/28/2020 02:58 am »
If Romulus is destroyed in the JJ Abrams rebooted timeline, then that timeline cannot get to the events of Star Trek Nemesis, where the titular Nemesis is Romulan. And the events of Star Trek Nemesis are what give us the death of Data.

No, the supernova which destroyed Romulus happened several years after the death of Data. This did not happen in the rebooted timeline, it was the event in the original timeline which sent Spock (and the Romulan bad guy Nero) back in time to the 23rd Century. In an unexpected way, Star Trek: Picard finally gives us motive for Nero wanting to destroy Vulcan and Earth: he was furious that the Federation aborted its "Dunkirk" rescue mission.

At that point back in the 23rd Century, Nero changed history by destroying the USS Kelvin (and killing Kirk's father). This alternate history exists separately from the original timeline and is called the Kelvin Timeline by fans. The original timeline is called the Prime Timeline. Spock explains this to the confused Bridge officers in the 2009 movie "Star Trek".

Prime Timeline:
2233: James T. Kirk born in Iowa
2265-70: Original Five Year Mission of Kirk's Enterprise
2364-71: The events of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" (Data gives the year as 2364 in the first season episode "Neutral Zone")
2379: Data dies saving his Captain ("Star Trek: Nemesis")
2387: Supernova destroys Romulus, Spock and Nero disappear into a black hole created by the supernova (Star Trek: 2009)
2399: The events of "Star Trek: Picard" (it has been 30 years since Data completed the painting "Daughter" in circa 2369)

Kelvin Timeline:
2233: Nero arrives from the year 2387, destroys USS Kelvin while Kirk is born on an escaping Shuttlecraft
2258: Spock arrives from the year 2387. Nero destroys Vulcan

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #113 on: 02/01/2020 07:42 am »
As regards episode 2 and I don’t know why but I am still shocked to hear swearing in anything Trek related.

Offline Stan Black

• Liked: 377
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #114 on: 02/01/2020 09:00 am »
As regards episode 2 and I don’t know why but I am still shocked to hear swearing in anything Trek related.

Yes that was not quite right hearing swearing in Star Trek… but then again there was plenty of swearing before, just none of it in English.
« Last Edit: 02/01/2020 02:01 pm by Stan Black »

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8572
  • Likes Given: 7672
« Reply #115 on: 02/01/2020 10:39 am »
Episode 1 is now available FREE on YouTube:

Star Trek: Picard | Free Series Premiere Episode | CBS All Access

« Last Edit: 02/03/2020 04:44 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #116 on: 02/01/2020 12:56 pm »

Yes that was not quite right… but then again there was plenty of swearing before, just none of it in English.

I imagine if the Borg come back to life we could be in for some body horror if they feel less bound by censorship on their streaming service.

Online Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #117 on: 02/01/2020 02:08 pm »
I imagine if the Borg come back to life we could be in for some body horror if they feel less bound by censorship on their streaming service.

TNG already went there in the episode "Conspiracy", where we saw the alien-infested Commander Remmick's head explode. Reportedly, Paramount sternly told Roddenberry and Co. to never do anything like that again after they got a lot of complaints from affiliates and viewers.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #118 on: 02/01/2020 07:04 pm »

TNG already went there in the episode "Conspiracy", where we saw the alien-infested Commander Remmick's head explode. Reportedly, Paramount sternly told Roddenberry and Co. to never do anything like that again after they got a lot of complaints from affiliates and viewers.

I doubt there would be the same concern now.

Offline brahmanknight

• I don't have all the right answers, but I do have all the right questions
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #119 on: 02/02/2020 11:39 pm »
I guess this is where I differ. 

I was annoyed with the utopian aspects of TNG ( I did not like the OS ).  And worse than that, those first two seasons of TNG were........to be polite, underwhelming in production quality.  Other than Measure of a Man in season 2, I never rewatch those seasons.  But starting with season 3, it turns awesome. 

DS9 was very average until a few seasons in, too. 

So I wouldn't be too concerned with production after two episodes. 

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography