Author Topic: Star Trek: Picard  (Read 37955 times)

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 4992
  • Likes Given: 6459
Re: Star Trek: Picard
« Reply #120 on: 02/03/2020 12:57 am »
I haven't actually watched Star Trek: Picard yet.  But my understanding is that it's basically one storyline spread across many seasons.

I think that's a shame.  One of the things I liked about TNG was that, with a very few exceptions, every week was a completely new story.  Some were weak, but some were very strong.  I really liked the variety, the ability to explore a whole new story idea in every episode, with the same characters, so each story didn't have to do all its own character development.  The same characters could face new and (mostly) interesting stories all the time.

With just one primary story over the course of a season, it may be a great story, but it's still just one.

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1309
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #121 on: 02/04/2020 12:07 pm »
I'd heard that this series had to be severely re-edited after customer Amazon demanded that the episode count be reduced. I don't see why a streaming service like Amazon Prime would need to be so strict on episode count, as streaming services are supposed to be much more flexible on content than broadcasters saddled with their traditional constraints. Bezos claims to be a Star Trek fan, but he should really kick himself over the effects of this imposition, because it appears to be this re-editing which has so badly damaged the story pacing.

We barely got to meet Dahj before she's killed, and replaced in the storyline by her twin. We barely get to meet the twin, and she barely gets to meet Narek, before they're suddenly in a relationship. That's barely happened when we learn he's spying on her. There's no time to digest things before they're suddenly subjected to radical new changes. Some kind of hack-and-slash story editing has occurred here, so that a lot of intervening events are being dropped out.
« Last Edit: 02/04/2020 12:11 pm by sanman »

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #122 on: 02/04/2020 05:52 pm »
I'd heard that this series had to be severely re-edited after customer Amazon demanded that the episode count be reduced. I don't see why a streaming service like Amazon Prime would need to be so strict on episode count, as streaming services are supposed to be much more flexible on content than broadcasters saddled with their traditional constraints. Bezos claims to be a Star Trek fan, but he should really kick himself over the effects of this imposition, because it appears to be this re-editing which has so badly damaged the story pacing.

I think you are confused or misinformed. ST: Picard is a CBS streaming show (CBS All Access), not Amazon Prime. Amazon just allows you to also subscribe to CBS as an add-on. Bezos does not control ST: Picard at all.

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #123 on: 02/04/2020 06:03 pm »
I'd heard that this series had to be severely re-edited after customer Amazon demanded that the episode count be reduced.

I haven't heard anything like that and I would be very surprised if the episode count wasn't stipulated in Patrick Stewart's contract. He's not a young man.

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
« Reply #124 on: 02/05/2020 05:55 am »

I think you are confused or misinformed. ST: Picard is a CBS streaming show (CBS All Access), not Amazon Prime. Amazon just allows you to also subscribe to CBS as an add-on. Bezos does not control ST: Picard at all.

That's not quite true.

In the United States, ST: Picard is only available on CBS All Access, not Amazon.

But in most of the rest of the world, it's distributed by Amazon.

So it's not impossible that Amazon has some say in the production of ST: Picard.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3968
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #125 on: 02/06/2020 06:53 am »
Speaking from the U.K. it’s branded as an Amazon product you wouldn’t even know it was a CBS product except obviously looking at the end titles.

Offline HVM

• Finland
  • Liked: 1202
  • Likes Given: 594
« Reply #126 on: 02/06/2020 11:48 pm »
Berries and peas.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #127 on: 02/14/2020 06:17 am »
I've watched up to episode 3 now.

It is watchable, with some good moments. TNG greatest hits but SO GRITTY and DARK.  ;)

But... It just looks so low budget (compared to my expectations). Every time they are on a non-starship setting it just looks like grabbed whatever furniture and house they could rent and yelled "action". ST:Discovery (love it or hate it) looks so much more high budget. Sets, costumes, makeup, visual effects, everything looks better on Discovery. So far.

And just to be clear, I'm not against a lower budget show. I have enjoyed many low budget Sci-Fi shows in my time. But the contrast with Discovery is interesting, IMO.
« Last Edit: 02/14/2020 06:18 am by Lars-J »

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #128 on: 02/14/2020 11:23 pm »
I've watched up to episode 3 now.
But... It just looks so low budget (compared to my expectations).

Sometimes it does look a bit low-budget. Other times it is off the charts good. Such as, did you notice they de-aged Patrick Stewart quite a bit for the flashback scene in Episode 3? I didn't, until someone pointed it out to me. They also de-aged him for the flashback in Episode 4. (It seems they've settled on a pattern of opening each episode with a flashback to 14 years before.)

The space battle at the end of Episode 4 is a mediocre at best.

edit: removed possible spoiler
« Last Edit: 02/14/2020 11:36 pm by Thorny »

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2238
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #129 on: 02/15/2020 10:10 am »
I'm really enjoying this show a lot. It does feel like an exceptionally long buildup to the main 'meat' of the storyline they want to tell. But then it occurs to me - this show is an exercise in world building - literally. This aint your Daddy's 'TNG' and nor could it/should it be. The payoff obviously still has to come - and likely not in this season. I'll bet the Cliff Hanger is a doozy! TNG used to have a few of those...
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3968
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #130 on: 02/16/2020 06:45 am »
Odd episode this was just browsing along at a restful pace, and then it suddenly bursts into life at the end

I did laugh at them recreating his study on the holodeck just so they could keep using the set.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81287
  • Likes Given: 36800
« Reply #131 on: 02/16/2020 09:17 am »
I did laugh at them recreating his study on the holodeck just so they could keep using the set.

:)

I don’t deny that economics may have played a part, but I also like the idea that an ageing and more vulnerable Picard literally needs the comforts of home.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #132 on: 02/16/2020 09:43 pm »
They're taking a really long time to assemble the crew... I guess at some point they'll all stand around a holomap and explain the heist to us.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline Stan Black

• Liked: 377
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #133 on: 02/17/2020 09:44 pm »
I am enjoying this show, but must admit I find this vision of the future odd because everyone brandishes guns.

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
« Reply #134 on: 02/19/2020 02:25 am »
I am enjoying this show, but must admit I find this vision of the future odd because everyone brandishes guns.

Do you find it odd that so many visions of the past and present include people brandishing weapons?

Offline litton4

• Liked: 396
  • Likes Given: 149
« Reply #135 on: 02/19/2020 09:30 am »
Odd episode this was just browsing along at a restful pace, and then it suddenly bursts into life at the end

I laughed, but not at that - when he froze the program, the birds stopped outside, but inside the fire was still burning
Dave Condliffe

Online Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1548
  • Likes Given: 1385
« Reply #136 on: 02/19/2020 07:33 pm »
I've been watching TNG and something just seems odd about Picard's personality in this show and I can't seem to put my finger on it...
« Last Edit: 02/19/2020 07:33 pm by Orbiter »
KSC Engineer, astronomer, rocket photographer.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
« Reply #137 on: 02/19/2020 09:32 pm »
I laughed, but not at that - when he froze the program, the birds stopped outside, but inside the fire was still burning

Probably because it was an actual fire. Now that's hospitality!

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
« Reply #138 on: 02/19/2020 09:36 pm »
I've been watching TNG and something just seems odd about Picard's personality in this show and I can't seem to put my finger on it...

Picard's personality has always been a bit - umm, flexible. Nearly as much as Troi's.

That said, I think the effect Stewart is trying to achieve is a post-depression Picard in search of a new guiding star. He has lost the certainty of the Federation and now has to make his own way. Incredibly slowly.

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1309
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #139 on: 02/20/2020 02:55 pm »
The entire series was kicked off by a dream Picard had of Data.

Foreshadowing @2:33 ...

Every card is a Queen...

... a Borg Queen?

Is that what Dahj/Soji is destined/dreaded to become?

(Well, if Rey can be a Palpatine...)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography