Author Topic: How Britain Won The Space Race  (Read 2596 times)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3624
  • Likes Given: 220
How Britain Won The Space Race
« on: 11/17/2015 07:07 pm »
Telling the history of Sir Bernard Lovell & Jodrell Bank. Including his tracking of Soviet satellites.

Is now on the BBC iPlayer for UK forum members.

Thought it was a good overview but then Timeshift has a good track record.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06pm5vf

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 1908
  • Likes Given: 1790
Re: How Britain Won The Space Race
« Reply #1 on: 11/17/2015 07:28 pm »
I thought the Space Race was just the United States vs. Russia...
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline Star One

• UK
How Britain Won The Space Race
« Reply #2 on: 11/17/2015 08:29 pm »
I thought the Space Race was just the United States vs. Russia...

Yeah the title was a bit odd. I found some of the commentators rather sceptical attitude towards the Apollo program a bit off putting.
« Last Edit: 11/17/2015 08:29 pm by Star One »

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #3 on: 11/17/2015 08:41 pm »
I though this was a rerun of a previous documentary. Thanks for pointing out that it is indeed a new thing; I must have mixed it up with a last Timeshift season's "TimeShift - British Space Race" episode.

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 652
  • Likes Given: 872
« Reply #4 on: 11/18/2015 01:35 am »

Yeah the title was a bit odd. I found some of the commentators rather sceptical attitude towards the Apollo program a bit off putting.

Sceptical in what way?
"There is nobody who is a bigger fan of sending robots to Mars than me... But I believe firmly that the best, the most comprehensive, the most successful exploration will be done by humans" Steve Squyres

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #5 on: 11/18/2015 06:32 am »

Sceptical in what way?

Well they appeared to be doubtful of its scientific value for a start.

Offline Vahe231991

• 11 Canyon Terrace
  • Liked: 137
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #6 on: 07/24/2022 09:10 pm »
I though this was a rerun of a previous documentary. Thanks for pointing out that it is indeed a new thing; I must have mixed it up with a last Timeshift season's "TimeShift - British Space Race" episode.
The link for the episode "British Space Race" can be found here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0074qt0

The synopsis for the episode "How Britain Won the Space Race: The Story of Bernard Lovell and Jodrell Bank" makes clear that the UK was the initial pioneer in radio astronomy, because the Cold War superpowers used Bernard Lovell's telescope to track their competing spacecraft.

Offline laszlo

• Liked: 734
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #7 on: 07/25/2022 01:07 pm »
The link for the episode "British Space Race" can be found here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0074qt0

The synopsis for the episode "How Britain Won the Space Race: The Story of Bernard Lovell and Jodrell Bank" makes clear that the UK was the initial pioneer in radio astronomy, because the Cold War superpowers used Bernard Lovell's telescope to track their competing spacecraft.

I thought that Karl Jansky at Bell labs in the USA was the initial radio astronomy pioneer back in 1933. I'd love to see their argument against this, but the episode is not available in the US. I guess that's the difference between the BBC and conspiracy nuts - the nuts are willing to share their evidence, such as it is, for their outrageous claims with everyone.

Offline Hobbes-22

• Acme Engineering
    • Acme Engineering
  • Liked: 465
  • Likes Given: 398
« Reply #8 on: 07/25/2022 04:53 pm »
Jansky discovered that astronomical objects could produce radio waves. He didn't do much with that: his employers wouldn't let him pursue this subject.
Grote Reber, a radio engineer, heard of Jansky's idea and built a radio telescope in his Illinois back yard in 1937 and did the first systematic survey of astronomical radio waves.
Then we get a few years of silence until Bernhard Lovell starts doing RF physics using WW2 military surplus equipment in 1945, this quickly turns into radio astronomy. There's a few other pioneers who start at that time, but Lovell seems to be the first to get into building giant antennas, which earns him a prominent role in the early space race.

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography