Author Topic: The (nothing to do with NSF but I use) Tapatalk Feedback Thread  (Read 154086 times)

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7538
  • Likes Given: 73558
Mods - it's in everyone's interest to prioritize this for mass appeal.
Moderators are spectators regarding this issue--above our responsibility/access level.
« Last Edit: 06/15/2023 08:20 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline kevinof

• Somewhere on the boat
  • Liked: 1869
  • Likes Given: 1262
Seeing as Tapatalk is out of bounds I have to resort to the browser on iPad but it keeps signing me out every 24/36 hours or sometimes less. Ive checked keep me signed in but doesnt make difference. Plus every time I sign back in it asks be to accept cookies again.

Offline gbl

• US
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 23
Are you using Private Browsing Tabs? That seems to require frequent logins.
I've used regular tabs and have no such issues with NSF.

Offline kevinof

• Somewhere on the boat
  • Liked: 1869
  • Likes Given: 1262
Nope, just regular tabs. Will play with the privacy settings and see if that makes a difference.

Are you using Private Browsing Tabs? That seems to require frequent logins.
I've used regular tabs and have no such issues with NSF.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14061
  • Likes Given: 1395
So the latest twist is that today after being logged off as usual, I can't even use old replies to "re-follow" NSF so that I can then log back in..

How does one add this board back to "my groups"?!
« Last Edit: 06/17/2023 04:30 pm by russianhalo117 »
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Online Eer

• Liked: 470
  • Likes Given: 917
List of Messages or Notifications are working for me, as i have several of each.
From "The Rhetoric of Interstellar Flight", by Paul Gilster, March 10, 2011: Well build a future in space one dogged step at a time, and when asked how long humanity will struggle before reaching the stars, well respond, As long as it takes.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
List of Messages or Notifications are working for me, as i have several of each.
3 days later  suddenly the list came back...  How odd.  Further, rather than having to re-follow, I skipped straight to re-login!  Joy!

Something is working better (or less worse)

Offline old_geez

• Narangba
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 0
It seems mine is back at the moment. Dunno for how long

Offline meekGee

• N. California
Working almost perfectly :)

The only deficiency is sometimes the login expires but if I back out to the top level and swipe down, it refreshes and re-logins automatically, without needing credentials or anything.

So basically it's all good.
« Last Edit: 06/21/2023 06:09 pm by meekGee »

Offline old_geez

• Narangba
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 0
Mines working better than ever now. Im finally able to see pictures and n the update threads, where previously I could only see broken links

Offline meekGee

• N. California
Mines working better than ever now. I’m finally able to see pictures and n the update threads, where previously I could only see broken links
I actually can only see broken picture icons, but that's actually a feature.  I'm in it for the text, this saves bandwidth, and if I really want to, I can "view in browser" for that specific post.

Offline EspenU

• Newbie Spacegeek
  • Norway
  • Liked: 260
  • Likes Given: 34
So the latest twist is that today after being logged off as usual, I can't even use old replies to "re-follow" NSF so that I can then log back in..

How does one add this board back to "my groups"?!
Just in case this happens again, I found a "work around" (more like an ugly hack). Search Google for NSF topics, and when clicking on the link it will open in tapatalk. You can then add the group again

Offline WolfganP

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 14
Mines working better than ever now. Im finally able to see pictures and n the update threads, where previously I could only see broken links
Same here, working as well as with other forums. Thx to whoever did anything to fix it!
« Last Edit: 06/23/2023 04:19 am by zubenelgenubi »

Online Eer

• Liked: 470
  • Likes Given: 917
Ditto. Glad to see it working as expected again.
From "The Rhetoric of Interstellar Flight", by Paul Gilster, March 10, 2011: Well build a future in space one dogged step at a time, and when asked how long humanity will struggle before reaching the stars, well respond, As long as it takes.

Offline ulm_atms

• Rocket Junky
  • To boldly go where no government has gone before.
  • Liked: 1565
  • Likes Given: 780
Is there any way to get Taptalk to use https instead of http?  When I go to a forum page where someone has used Taptalk, I show a security warning that part of nasaspaceflight is insecure.  I found the culprit:  http://emoji.tapatalk-cdn.com/emoji14.png

This is a page that has this issue:  https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=44689.940

The message causing this is 2503280

It looks like Taptalk changes the emojis source when quoting.  The emoji from Foximus is from nasaspaceflight.  When TrevorMonty quoted it, the emoji got changed to a Taptalk CDN based emoji that doesn't do https and causes the security warning.

I guess just FYI for the web master here and anyone else who sees a security warning.

Offline DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4383
  • Likes Given: 1787
Some users have still not suppressed the Tapatalk footer and do not respond to requests from other users. Can the Forum's filter/replacement list please be expanded to replace "Tapatalk" with "arrogant laziness", similar to replacing "c r y p t o" and "f a n b o y"?  the proposed replacement would cause the footer to say  "sent from my phone using arrogant laziness", and perhaps cause the user to react quickly to suppress the spam.

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
Some users have still not suppressed the Tapatalk footer and do not respond to requests from other users. Can the Forum's filter/replacement list please be expanded to replace "Tapatalk" with "arrogant laziness", similar to replacing "c r y p t o" and "f a n b o y"?  the proposed replacement would cause the footer to say  "sent from my phone using arrogant laziness", and perhaps cause the user to react quickly to suppress the spam.
I'm curious:
In reference to the few extra words at the end of a post, does it actually cause an issue(like a slow page download or similar) or is it simply a visual annoyance? 
I personally find the follow up, mid-thread posts reminding the user of the extra words more intrusive that the initial words at the end of a post.
If a simple annoyance, the "Report To Moderator" or RTM button should/could be employed?

Brought to you by Windows 7.
Paul

Offline DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4383
  • Likes Given: 1787
I'm curious:
In reference to the few extra words at the end of a post, does it actually cause an issue(like a slow page download or similar) or is it simply a visual annoyance? 
I personally find the follow up, mid-thread posts reminding the user of the extra words more intrusive that the initial words at the end of a post.
If a simple annoyance, the "Report To Moderator" or RTM button should/could be employed?

My proposed solution(?) is intended to remove the need for those " follow up, mid-thread posts" and more or less automate the feedback mechanism to the culprit, instead of requiring two manual interventions (report to moderator and whatever work the moderator does), in a fairly lighthearted manner that may amuse the readers. If it also offends the culprit, so much the better.

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
I'm curious:

My proposed solution(?) is intended to remove the need for those " follow up, mid-thread posts" and more or less automate the feedback mechanism to the culprit, instead of requiring two manual interventions (report to moderator and whatever work the moderator does), in a fairly lighthearted manner that may amuse the readers. If it also offends the culprit, so much the better.
Thanks for the reply.
I understand your proposed fix,  I guess I just don't understand the supposed issue, everyone's triggers are different I suppose.
Paul

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7538
  • Likes Given: 73558
Member:
Tapatalk installation offer popup appears when I first open the forum on my Samsung Galaxy/Android smartphone.  This is before logging in.  This began within less than a week from today.  I have no ad blocker software activated in this circumstance.

Moderator:
It's an annoyance, given the work Tapatalk gives volunteer moderators here manually removing their annoying tag lines from thread posts by Tapatalk users.
« Last Edit: 09/21/2023 12:52 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Tags: Space galaxy astronomy 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography