Author Topic: Dream Chaser ETA heads to Dryden for drop tests  (Read 89387 times)

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 3633
  • Likes Given: 2910
Re: Dream Chaser ETA heads to Dryden for drop tests
« Reply #80 on: 07/12/2013 07:32 pm »
SNC's Dream Chaser Prepared For Testing

Published on Jul 12, 2013
This time-lapse video shows Sierra Nevada Corporation's (SNC) team attaching the wings and tail of the company's Dream Chaser flight vehicle May 18. The crew prepared the vehicle for ground and free-flight tests, which are scheduled throughout 2013. SNC is one of only three companies working with NASA to develop space transportation systems capable of flying astronauts to and from low-Earth orbit and the International Space Station later this decade. The work completed at NASA's Dryden Flight Research Center will demonstrate the winged vehicle's ability to safely land an astronaut crew on a runway.

Tony De La Rosa

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3060
  • Likes Given: 292
« Reply #81 on: 07/12/2013 07:41 pm »
Thanks for pointing out the towing dolly; when I first read about Dream Chaser's nose skid, I wondered how she was going to be towed, and now I know! :)

So that means that the entire (horizontal/pulling) load of the vehicle when towing is transferred through the skid... interesting!
maybe - there appears to be three wheels up front and possibly an attachment to the DC body itself (blow up the picture) so maybe we need a better sideways shot??
I think that’s an angle illusion caused by the right rear main gear. I see only two on the dolly... Let's chip in and send Lee Jay there for a photo... ;D
Your probably right on the "third wheel" and ...how much will Lee Jay need?
I guess we should ask him if he wants to go first... :)

Well it's been almost 100F lately in Colorado anyway!
« Last Edit: 07/12/2013 07:42 pm by Lee Jay »

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1456
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #82 on: 07/13/2013 12:13 pm »
Three photos of tow testing from Kennedy Media Gallery.  KSC has the entries dated July 27, 2013 (clearly wrong) - looking at the file number sequence, in comparison other gallery photos, they may be from July 11, 2013 (any exif data in the files has been removed).

Shows a bit more detail of the skid structure, which is also supported by a two-wheeled dolly in this sequence.

KSC description for last photo:

Edwards, Calif. – ED13-0215-072 - Sierra Nevada Corporation SNC Space Systems' team members tow the Dream Chaser flight vehicle along a concrete runway at NASA's Dryden Flight Research Center in California for range and taxi tow tests. The ground testing will validate the performance of the spacecraft's nose skid, brakes, tires and other systems prior to captive-carry and free-flight tests scheduled for later this year.

EDIT: Date of these photographs are June 27, 2013 - I found originals with EXIF data still intact.  Photo credits: NASA/Ken Ulbrich
« Last Edit: 07/16/2013 10:39 am by AnalogMan »

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4545
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #83 on: 07/13/2013 02:30 pm »
Thanks for pointing out the towing dolly; when I first read about Dream Chaser's nose skid, I wondered how she was going to be towed, and now I know! :)

So that means that the entire (horizontal/pulling) load of the vehicle when towing is transferred through the skid... interesting!
maybe - there appears to be three wheels up front and possibly an attachment to the DC body itself (blow up the picture) so maybe we need a better sideways shot??
I think that’s an angle illusion caused by the right rear main gear. I see only two on the dolly... Let's chip in and send Lee Jay there for a photo... ;D
Your probably right on the "third wheel" and ...how much will Lee Jay need?
I guess we should ask him if he wants to go first... :)

Well it's been almost 100F lately in Colorado anyway!

I guess you’re all acclimated then.  ;)
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #84 on: 07/13/2013 02:31 pm »
Three photos of tow testing from Kennedy Media Gallery.  KSC has the entries dated July 27, 2013 (clearly wrong) - looking at the file number sequence, in comparison other gallery photos, they may be from July 11, 2013 (any exif data in the files has been removed).

Shows a bit more detail of the skid structure, which is also supported by a two-wheeled dolly in this sequence.

Edwards, Calif. – ED13-0215-072 - Sierra Nevada Corporation SNC Space Systems' team members tow the Dream Chaser flight vehicle along a concrete runway at NASA's Dryden Flight Research Center in California for range and taxi tow tests. The ground testing will validate the performance of the spacecraft's nose skid, brakes, tires and other systems prior to captive-carry and free-flight tests scheduled for later this year.
Note the wool tufts for the aerodynamic tests... Boom makes a convenient place to hang your backpacks.  ;D Thanks for posting them! :)

Offline Overflow

• Space Shuttle Aficonado
  • Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #85 on: 07/13/2013 06:50 pm »
I was wondering what that was on the front of the Dream Chaser.

I would love to get a closer look at the skid pad.

I saw a model of Dream Chaser at KSCVC yesterday. I'm really excited for this program.

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: 07/14/2013 01:12 am »
Three photos of tow testing from Kennedy Media Gallery.

With the amount of what appears to be Duck Tape on that vehicle, I can't see how it could do anything other than fly brilliantly.

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
  • Liked: 305
  • Likes Given: 749
« Reply #87 on: 07/14/2013 01:22 am »
Three photos of tow testing from Kennedy Media Gallery.

With the amount of what appears to be Duck Tape on that vehicle, I can't see how it could do anything other than fly brilliantly.
every experimentalist knows that it what ever your testing:
if it don't got duck tape (yellow), it ain't gonna work.

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 159
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #88 on: 07/14/2013 04:11 am »

Note the wool tufts for the aerodynamic tests... Boom makes a convenient place to hang your backpacks.  ;D Thanks for posting them! :)

Good note on the wool tufts. I looked more closely and they seem best visible in the 1st photo - 3023 (which shows rear entry hatch & side view of NASA van). You can see the tufts quite well on the starboard wing.
Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11808
  • Likes Given: 11015
« Reply #89 on: 07/14/2013 06:48 am »

LOL. As long as nothing breaks off... then they'd be in trouble!
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: 07/15/2013 02:12 pm »

LOL. As long as nothing breaks off... then they'd be in trouble!

I saw the mount for that boom when the vehicle was apart in Colorado.  It was beefy to say the least.

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 159
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #91 on: 08/02/2013 04:34 am »
Do we know how many ETA drop test flights have been planned? I don't recall seeing the specific number of test flights announced previously. It could well be dependent on the flight test results; I was just curious.

Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 3633
  • Likes Given: 2910
« Reply #92 on: 08/13/2013 10:54 pm »
Dream Chaser Rolls Through Ground Tests

Published on Aug 13, 2013
Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC) put its Dream Chaser flight vehicle through a series of ground tests at NASA's Dryden Flight Research Center at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif. The 10, 20, 40 and 60 mile per hour range and taxi tow tests along concrete runways are helping the company assess the performance of the winged vehicle's braking and landing systems. SNC's ongoing development work supports its funded Space Act Agreement with NASA's Commercial Crew Program (CCP) during the agency's Commercial Crew Integrated Capability (CCiCap) phase. SNC currently is one of three companies working with NASA during CCiCap to return a national capability to launch astronauts to low-Earth orbit from U.S. soil.

Tony De La Rosa

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #93 on: 08/13/2013 11:00 pm »

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: 08/13/2013 11:05 pm »
Do we know how many ETA drop test flights have been planned? I don't recall seeing the specific number of test flights announced previously.

3-6, last time I got data from them (it's on L2).  Of course, everything is subject to change.

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 676
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #95 on: 08/13/2013 11:13 pm »

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #96 on: 08/13/2013 11:16 pm »
There are also 22 photos of the tow tests (Aug 2, 2013) that were posted today on the Kennedy Media Gallery:

http://mediaarchive.ksc.nasa.gov/search.cfm?cat=240

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #97 on: 08/13/2013 11:36 pm »
Great pics and video. Thanks for posting them! :)

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 116
  • Likes Given: 417
« Reply #98 on: 08/14/2013 12:59 am »
Absolutely beautiful!

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
  • Liked: 305
  • Likes Given: 749
« Reply #99 on: 08/14/2013 01:26 am »
I was having a bad day. Seeing these wonderful pics and video of the DC made it quite a bit better.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography