Author Topic: Dream Chaser ETA heads to Dryden for drop tests  (Read 88120 times)

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4532
  • Likes Given: 13519
Re: Dream Chaser ETA heads to Dryden for drop tests
« Reply #120 on: 08/16/2013 10:46 pm »
My latest: Dream Chasing

http://theklydemorrisproject.blogspot.com/2013/08/dream-chasing.html
Nice one Wes! :) I like the personal story with Dale Reed...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1116
  • Likes Given: 658
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline zerm

• Hypergolic cartoonist
    • GWS Books dot com
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #122 on: 08/21/2013 07:09 pm »
Best of luck to the DC team.  To quote Michael Valentine Smith:

Winged bodies are.

And thanks to zerm here for a good fifteen minutes of chuckles:

Wes has been drawing Klyde Morris since 1978 stopping only to take part in a career as an professional pilot. After 3 different airlines and one corporate operation, he can now state flatly that he has had the privilege of working for 4 of the worst air carriers in the nation. Thus, he went back to cartooning.

Keep in mind, I am a professional.
Let' see... You chuckled for 15 minutes... you owe me 75 cents. ;)
Wes
« Last Edit: 08/21/2013 07:10 pm by zerm »

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #123 on: 08/22/2013 09:35 pm »
Sierra Nevada Corporation’s Dream Chaser® Takes Flight at NASA’s Dryden Flight Research Center

Sparks, NV – August 22, 2013 – Today Sierra Nevada Corporation’s (SNC) Dream Chaser® spacecraft successfully completed a full-scale captive-carry test. The test in which the Dream Chaser was carried under an Erickson Air-Crane helicopter was conducted at NASA’s Dryden Flight Research Center in Edwards, Calif.

The captive-carry test was performed in order to test and validate several of the Dream Chaser systems and sub-systems prior to the upcoming free-flight test. The software tested included: flight computer; guidance, navigation and control; aero surfaces; and the landing gear and nose skid, which was deployed during flight. In May 2012, SNC performed a similar, but less extensive, captive-carry test in Broomfield, Colo., under the Commercial Crew Development 2 (CCDev2) agreement with NASA’s Commercial Crew Program.

“Today is the first time we have flown a fully functional Dream Chaser spacecraft, and we are very pleased with the results,” said Mark Sirangelo, corporate vice president and head of SNC’s Space Systems. “Our team represents the very best in collaboration between industry and government. We have worked closely with NASA, Dryden and the Air Force to reach this important milestone in our flight test program. We will continue to work together to prepare for the approach-and-landing free-flight test. We look forward to seeing Dream Chaser land on the same runway as the space shuttle orbiters once did as we move forward in the development of the next-generation crew transportation vehicle.”

The captive-carry test is just one in a series of tests completed at Dryden. To date, the Dream Chaser team has completed ground taxi- and tow-tests, evaluated the performance of the main landing gear and completed a flight test readiness review.  All systems have been verified and the Dream Chaser flight vehicle will undergo final preparations for the upcoming approach-and-landing test (ALT) scheduled for fall 2013.

"It's great to see real American-made hardware taking flight right here in the U.S.," said Ed Mango, CCP manager. "This is just the start of an exciting flight test campaign for SNC's Dream Chaser at Dryden."

SNC is one of three companies funded under NASA’s Commercial Crew Integrated Capability (CCiCap) initiative to develop a next-generation crew transportation vehicle and the only reusable, lifting body vehicle with runway landing capability. The Dream Chaser space vehicle is on the forefront of the commercial human spaceflight industry, offering safe, reliable, and cost-effective crew and critical cargo transportation to low-Earth orbit.

http://www.sncorp.com/press_more_info.php?id=563
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Lurker Steve

• Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #124 on: 08/22/2013 09:38 pm »
Great to see it off the ground.

What's the purpose of the trailing parachute ?

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #125 on: 08/22/2013 09:45 pm »
Great to see it off the ground.

What's the purpose of the trailing parachute ?

To ensure the vehicle stays pointing into the velocity vector, i.e. doesn't start rotating about its yaw axis.
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
  • Liked: 303
  • Likes Given: 722
« Reply #126 on: 08/22/2013 09:46 pm »
Positive test points and milestones keep racking up for the DC - soon to see a free flight, maybe next month  :)

Offline VDD1991

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #127 on: 08/23/2013 04:59 am »
Now that Dream Chaser completed two critical milestones this month, I'm looking forward to seeing Dream Chaser make its first free flight this fall.

If the Dream Chaser drop test program is successful, then NASA may escalate plans to conduct orbital flight tests of Dream Chaser with the hope that US astronauts will end their two year reliance on the Soyuz spacecraft. I wonder if John Glenn and all the veteran Space Shuttle pilots might live to hop onboard the Dream Chaser.

Offline JAFO

• My hobby
  • Liked: 694
  • Likes Given: 641
« Reply #128 on: 08/23/2013 06:45 am »
Now that Dream Chaser completed two critical milestones this month, I'm looking forward to seeing Dream Chaser make its first free flight this fall.

If the Dream Chaser drop test program is successful, then NASA may escalate plans to conduct orbital flight tests of Dream Chaser with the hope that US astronauts will end their two year reliance on the Soyuz spacecraft. I wonder if John Glenn and all the veteran Space Shuttle pilots might live to hop onboard the Dream Chaser.

Call Bill Anders. He still flys his P-51 and Skyraider. www.heritageflight.org
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4465
  • Likes Given: 1101
« Reply #129 on: 08/23/2013 06:46 am »
Welcome to the forum VDD1991. We all certainly hope for the best for Dream Chaser.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1446
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #130 on: 08/23/2013 02:11 pm »
One more photo of the carry test.

Caption:
EDWARDS AFB, Calif. - ED13-0300-003 – An Erickson Air-Crane helicopter lifts Sierra Nevada Corporation's Dream Chaser flight vehicle during a captive-carry flight test. The test was a rehearsal for free flights at Edwards later this year. The spacecraft is under development in partnership with NASA's Commercial Crew Program. Although the spacecraft is designed for crew members, the vehicle will not have anyone onboard during the free flights. Photo credit: NASA/Carla Thomas

Offline Lurker Steve

« Reply #131 on: 08/23/2013 03:11 pm »
Do they have a solution for getting higher and/or more speed than the SkyCrane will allow ?

Offline SaxtonHale

• Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 143
« Reply #132 on: 08/23/2013 03:16 pm »
Do they have a solution for getting higher and/or more speed than the SkyCrane will allow ?

An Atlas V  ;D

Offline Lurker Steve

« Reply #133 on: 08/23/2013 03:25 pm »

An Atlas V  ;D

I'm anxious to see that test as well, but I assumed their might be some little baby steps in-between the 12K-15K feet/100 mph and orbital flight.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 20458
  • Likes Given: 10613
« Reply #134 on: 08/23/2013 03:29 pm »
Cool!
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3013
  • Likes Given: 287
« Reply #135 on: 08/23/2013 06:25 pm »

An Atlas V  ;D

I'm anxious to see that test as well, but I assumed their might be some little baby steps in-between the 12K-15K feet/100 mph and orbital flight.

There are, but possibly not with the ETA.  They have plans for a higher and faster drop with a different lift/tow vehicle, and for powered flight using the hybrids after the drop to accelerate and climb further than that.
« Last Edit: 08/23/2013 06:25 pm by Lee Jay »

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 20458
  • Likes Given: 10613
« Reply #136 on: 08/23/2013 08:53 pm »

An Atlas V  ;D

There are, but possibly not with the ETA.  They have plans for a higher and faster drop with a different lift/tow vehicle, and for powered flight using the hybrids after the drop to accelerate and climb further than that.
Good plan, what's the timeline on these tests?
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3013
  • Likes Given: 287
« Reply #137 on: 08/24/2013 02:27 am »

An Atlas V  ;D

Good plan, what's the timeline on these tests?

I would guess next summer or later but that's little more than speculation.

Offline ChefPat

• Earth, for now
  • Liked: 124
  • Likes Given: 1022
« Reply #138 on: 08/24/2013 02:56 pm »
They have plans for a powered flight using the hybrids after the drop to accelerate and climb further than that.
That's the test I have a really hard time waiting for.
Playing Politics with Commercial Crew is Un-American!!!

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 3562
  • Likes Given: 2854
« Reply #139 on: 08/29/2013 07:27 pm »
My Edited Video

Source unknown but posted on NASAKenedy YouTube site

Published on Aug 29, 2013

« Last Edit: 08/29/2013 07:27 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa