Author Topic: Dream Chaser ETA heads to Dryden for drop tests  (Read 100419 times)

Offline spectre9

• Australia
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 68
Re: Dream Chaser ETA heads to Dryden for drop tests
« Reply #100 on: 08/14/2013 07:41 am »
Reply #100.

Still no drop.

I'm getting impatient  :P

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #101 on: 08/15/2013 01:39 pm »
Interesting to note the control configuation in the video as the body flaps are being used as speed brakes as well during braking similar to the X-24A.

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4220/ch7.htm
« Last Edit: 08/15/2013 01:46 pm by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Online BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 924
« Reply #102 on: 08/15/2013 07:29 pm »
More good news for Dream Chaser, two optional milestones are funded:
http://commercialcrew.nasa.gov/page.cfm?ID=38

see amendment #2 for SNC

"1)   Split Optional Milestone 10,
Integrated Critical Design Review,
into two milestones (lOa and lOb) and then add Optional Milestone lOa as a base milestone.
2)   Split Optional Milestone 15,
Reaction Control System Testing,
into  two milestones (15a and 15b} and then add Optional Milestone 15a as a base milestone.

Milestone 10a is funded at $5M
Milestone 15a is funded at $10M
total of $15M (Thanks to JSz)
« Last Edit: 08/15/2013 09:13 pm by BrightLight »

Offline JSz

• Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #103 on: 08/15/2013 08:52 pm »
Milestone 10a is funded at $5M
Milestone 15a is funded at $15M

Not $5 + $15M but $5 + $10M.
See: http://www.nasa.gov/content/four-milestones-added-to-commercial-crew-agreements/#.Ug0-mayqDrR

Offline zerm

• Hypergolic cartoonist
    • GWS Books dot com
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 19

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 172
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #105 on: 08/16/2013 04:28 pm »
At this point, I have to ask the unthinkable. What if Dreamchaser crashes during the drop test. Does it mean the Dreamchaser program gets fast tracked to the recycle bin? How would that affect the commercial manned program overall? Would that give ammunition for the foes of commercial spaceflight in congress?
« Last Edit: 08/16/2013 04:31 pm by mr. mark »

Offline Overflow

• Space Shuttle Aficonado
  • Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #106 on: 08/16/2013 04:53 pm »
At this point, I have to ask the unthinkable. What if Dreamchaser crashes during the drop test. Does it mean the Dreamchaser program gets fast tracked to the recycle bin? How would that affect the commercial manned program overall? Would that give ammunition for the foes of commercial spaceflight in congress?

I think it would largely on what you mean by "crash". If it just falls straight to the earth without any gliding whatsoever after being released from the helicopter, then I believe that the program is in danger. If glides, but is harder to control then imagined, then I think that it still has a slim chance at survival.

If DreamChaser does fail, then I fear that Congress will use it against the American manned spaceflight program.
« Last Edit: 08/16/2013 04:54 pm by Overflow »

Offline mr. mark

« Reply #107 on: 08/16/2013 05:14 pm »
For better or worse Dreamchaser is the first "physical" commercial manned spacecraft to be tested out of the gate. A lot is riding on this test. It's one thing for SpaceX to have a partial success on a parachute drop test. Meaning possibly a partial chute deploy. It's another for Dreamchaser to come crashing down. For this drop test Dreamchaser will be the posterboy for the whole commercial spaceflight industry. Here's to a successful drop test.   

Offline jtrame

• W4FJT
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 346

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #109 on: 08/16/2013 05:50 pm »
For better or worse Dreamchaser is the first "physical" commercial manned spacecraft to be tested out of the gate. A lot is riding on this test. It's one thing for SpaceX to have a partial success on a parachute drop test. Meaning possibly a partial chute deploy. It's another for Dreamchaser to come crashing down. For this drop test Dreamchaser will be the posterboy for the whole commercial spaceflight industry. Here's to a successful drop test.   
Depends on what you mean. Dragon and CST-100 have been tested numerous times, Dragon in orbit. Dreamchaser has not, so far, been tested in this manner full-scale. The actual airframe is supposed to be used for the eventual flight, but does this mean Dreamchaser is ahead or does it mean it doesn't have enough cash to have a separate airframe for tests and for eventual flight?

Anyway, I have confidence in the team that Dreamchaser will be successful in this drop-test like Boeing and SpaceX have been with theirs.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline mr. mark

« Reply #110 on: 08/16/2013 06:32 pm »
Spacex's cargo vehicle is very different in some ways from the manned version. So really the dragon manned version has not been tested yet physically. Boeing's CST-100 capsule drop test was really just a shell. Dreamchaser will be the first test of an actual, although, partial vehicle.

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #111 on: 08/16/2013 06:36 pm »
Spacex's cargo vehicle is very different in some ways from the manned version. So really the dragon manned version has not been tested yet physically. Boeing's CST-100 capsule drop test was really just a shell. Dreamchaser will be the first test of an actual, although, partial vehicle.

I think we all know that. The point is that many systems that will be in common HAVE been tested on orbit, in an actual flying spacecraft. Not a partial/structural test article - even if the shape of this "partial vehicle" is close to the final vehicle.
« Last Edit: 08/16/2013 06:36 pm by Lars_J »

Offline mr. mark

« Reply #112 on: 08/16/2013 07:02 pm »

I think we all know that. The point is that many systems that will be in common HAVE been tested on orbit, in an actual flying spacecraft. Not a partial/structural test article - even if the shape of this "partial vehicle" is close to the final vehicle.
Understand and point taken. It's true that some of Dragon's manned systems have flown on an actual cargo vehicle to orbit. It will be interesting to see how the race shakes out in 2014 with Spacex's pad abort and inflight abort tests. I have a feeling though that a successful Dreamchaser drop test could go a long way in cementing a top 2 position in the upcoming dowselection. Especially if Boeing or SpaceX appear to lag for whatever reason.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #113 on: 08/16/2013 07:07 pm »

Understand and point taken. It's true that some of Dragon's manned systems have flown on an actual cargo vehicle to orbit. It will be interesting to see how the race shakes out in 2014 with Spacex's pad abort and inflight abort tests. I have a feeling though that a successful Dreamchaser drop test could go a long way in cementing a top 2 position in the upcoming dowselection. Especially if Boeing or SpaceX appear to lag for whatever reason.
I'm not sure it'd cement them ahead of Boeing just because Dreamchaser isn't going to build more airframes and so plans to use this test airframe for the flight vehicle.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline mr. mark

« Reply #114 on: 08/16/2013 07:22 pm »
I believe that this drop test is Dreamchaser's first "moment". A success builds momentum and could change a lot of minds as to the programs "validity". In other words, this is where the rubber meets the road. Maybe not from an overall engineering standpoint but, definately for future funding and public perception.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #115 on: 08/16/2013 07:26 pm »
An orbital launch test is the gold standard. To me, it doesn't matter much if it's manned or not. I'm still worried about the propulsion system closing.

Offline Lurker Steve

• Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #116 on: 08/16/2013 07:40 pm »

I'm not sure it'd cement them ahead of Boeing just because Dreamchaser isn't going to build more airframes and so plans to use this test airframe for the flight vehicle.

I don't believe this actual airframe is going to space. That's the job of the next one. I do believe this ETA is a lot more functional than the aluminum shells used in the capsule drop tests

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #117 on: 08/16/2013 07:42 pm »

I don't believe this actual airframe is going to space. That's the job of the next one. I do believe this ETA is a lot more functional than the aluminum shells used in the capsule drop tests
More functional than the ones that went to ISS?

I'll be very interested when I see an airframe with full TPS and full propulsive capability tested. Then it'll be real!

Offline dcporter

• Liked: 266
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #118 on: 08/16/2013 10:41 pm »
I'll be very interested when I see an airframe with full TPS and full propulsive capability tested. Then it'll be real!

Agreed. In the mean time, it will only be awesome.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #119 on: 08/16/2013 10:42 pm »

Agreed. In the mean time, it will only be awesome.
+Yes

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography