Author Topic: Ares Aero Testing  (Read 6396 times)

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
Ares Aero Testing
« on: 02/05/2011 03:20 pm »
ARES I Aerodynamic Testing at the NASA Langley Unitary Plan Wind Tunnel

Small-scale force and moment and pressure models based on the outer mold lines of the Ares I design analysis cycle crew launch vehicle were tested in the NASA Langley Research Center Unitary Plan Wind Tunnel from May 2006 to September 2009. The test objectives were to establish supersonic ascent aerodynamic databases and to obtain force and moment, surface pressure, and longitudinal line-load distributions for comparison to computational predictions. Test data were obtained at low through high supersonic Mach numbers for ranges of the Reynolds number, angle of attack, and roll angle. This paper focuses on (1) the sensitivity of the supersonic aerodynamic characteristics to selected protuberances, outer mold line changes, and wind tunnel boundary layer transition techniques, (2) comparisons of experimental data to computational predictions, and (3) data reproducibility. The experimental data obtained in the Unitary Plan Wind Tunnel captured the effects of evolutionary changes to the Ares I crew launch vehicle, exhibited good agreement with predictions, and displayed satisfactory within-test and tunnel-to-tunnel data reproducibility.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20110002854_2011001731.pdf

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
Ares Aero Testing
« Reply #1 on: 02/05/2011 03:20 pm »
Liftoff and Transition Aerodynamics of the Ares I (A106) Launch Vehicle

An investigation has been conducted in the NASA Langley Research Center 14- by 22- Foot Subsonic Wind Tunnel to obtain the liftoff and transition aerodynamics of the Ares I (A106) Crew Launch Vehicle. Data were obtained in free-air at angles of attack from 10 to 90 at various roll angles and at roll angles of 0 to 360 at various angles of attack. In addition, tower effects were assessed by testing with and without a mobile launcher/tower at all wind azimuth angles and at various model heights to simulate the rise of the vehicle as it clears the tower on launch. The free-air data will be used for low speed high angle of attack flight simulation and as a bridge to the low angle of attack ascent database (0.5 < Mach < 5.0) being developed with data from the Langley Unitary Plan Wind Tunnel and Boeing Polysonic Wind Tunnel. The Ares I Database Development Team will add incremental tower effects data to the free-air data to develop the database for tower clearance.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20110002855_2011001733.pdf

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography