Author Topic: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Paramount+)  (Read 4895 times)

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Paramount+)
« on: 09/10/2021 03:27 am »
Searched but couldn't find a thread about this. Please move if required.

A Discovery spinoff covering the decade before Capt. Kirk was assigned to Enterprise.

Casting & release

Release: 2022

- US: Paramount+

- Canada: CTV Sci-Fi Channel

Capt. Christopher Pike: Anson Mount

Una Chin-Riley/Number One: Rebecca Romijn

Spock: Ethan Peck

Cadet Nyota Uhura: Celia Rose Gooding

Dr. M’Benga: Babs Olusanmokun

Nurse Christine Chapel: Jess Bush

Lt. Erica Ortegas: Melissa Navia[

Hemmer (Andorian): Bruce Horak

La'An Noonien-Singh: Christina Chong

Cast hello...

Capt. Pike's intro on Discovery...
DM

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
Re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Paramount+)
« Reply #1 on: 04/29/2022 05:19 pm »
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds debuts Thursday, May 5th on Paramount+ in the United States and CTV Sci-Fi Channel in Canada.

Paramount has made available the opening credits sequence (sans cast/character names) ahead of the debut...

https://www.startrek.com/videos/watch-star-trek-strange-new-worlds-opening-titles

Here is the main cast/characters as we know it...

Anson Mount as Captain Christopher Pike
Rebecca Romijn as Una "Number One" Chin-Riley
Ethan Peck as Spock
Babs Olusanmokun as Dr. M'Benga
Christina Chong as La'an Noonien-Singh
Celia Rose Gooding as Cadet Uhura
Jess Bush as Christine Chapel
Melissa Navia as Erica Ortegas

Bruce Horak as Hemmer (an Aenar, sightless cousins to Andorians) is apparently a recurring, not main character.

Season 1 will be ten episodes airing weekly through July 7th. Season 2 is already in production.

« Last Edit: 04/29/2022 05:23 pm by Thorny »

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
« Reply #2 on: 05/07/2022 04:23 pm »
I was pleasantly surprised by the first episode. I had some hope that this series would be good but it exceeded my expectations. It's much better than Picard or Star Trek Discovery (too much crying in those series).

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #3 on: 05/07/2022 04:26 pm »
Over in the UK we will not be able to see this until the 22nd June when Paramount+ launches.

Offline old_geez

• Narangba
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: 05/07/2022 09:27 pm »
Watched it last night down here in Oz. Really enjoyed it, and the new (old) ‘planet of the week’ format.
The ‘history’ leading up to WWIII was interesting (maybe controversial in the US).
Also, first officer Singh is the spitting image of Camilla Drummer…

Offline MickQ

• Australia.
  • Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 625
« Reply #5 on: 05/09/2022 12:27 am »
Just to nitpick, it's  "Camina Drummer".

Offline Steve G

• Regular
  • Ottawa, ON
    • Stephen H Garrity
  • Liked: 616
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #6 on: 05/09/2022 01:26 pm »
I wished they'd respect the Star Trek canon. Everything is wrong. Spock and T'Pring was all wrong, way too emotional, and as we all know from "The Enterprise Incident", the kiss isn't the Vulcan way but the touching of fingers, at least before things get more involved. The producers showed no respect for the uniforms, ship's interior or control panels that existed in the Captain Pike Enterprise. We would expect some modernization from 1960s TV, of course, but not unrecognizable, but it would be far more charming if they attempted to reproduce the feel of the 1960s Enterprise. For some flabbergasting reason, they tossed in Uhura and Nurse Chapel with a ghastly choice of casting, their personalities not close to the characters they represented, and completely unnecessary when all they had to do was to create new characters instead of bastardizing the legacy of Chapel and Uhura. The hairstyles look like a punk convention warped into space.

But then, these are the same producers that took the Klingons and turned them into black insects.

It's really time for someone with a lot of cash to buy the franchise and do the new episodes right, cancel the abomination that is Discovery (Have William Shatner wake up and dismiss the entire Discovery franchise as a nightmare).

Strange New Worlds is definitely an improvement over Discovery, the first episode was overall not bad.

In the meantime, the only good Star Trek out there are the Fan Fiction episodes.
« Last Edit: 05/09/2022 01:30 pm by Steve G »

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #7 on: 05/09/2022 09:54 pm »
I wished they'd respect the Star Trek canon. Everything is wrong. Spock and T'Pring was all wrong, way too emotional, and as we all know from "The Enterprise Incident", the kiss isn't the Vulcan way but the touching of fingers, at least before things get more involved.

A single data point (presumably you Sarek and Amanda in "Journey to Babel" as "The Enterprise Incident" involves Spock and a Romulan) doesn't tell us much. Sarek and Amanda were much older than Spock and T'Pring, so it could be a youthful/courtship thing. This is supported by the waiter immediately saying "don't do that here."

And we did previously see T'Pol and Trip Tucker kissing on Enterprise.
« Last Edit: 05/09/2022 09:56 pm by Thorny »

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
« Reply #8 on: 05/13/2022 03:28 am »
Second show was also very good. This is definitely a more optimistic and lighter mood Star Trek than some of the other recent series. I like it a lot and I rarely say that anymore about recent sci-fi shows.

Offline YesRushGen

• Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: 05/13/2022 01:18 pm »
My wife and I are really enjoying Strange New Worlds.

At the risk of sounding overly sentimental, we like to say, "Strange New Worlds... Putting the Star Trek back in Star Trek."  ;)

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
« Reply #10 on: 05/31/2022 09:23 pm »
Paul Wesley (Vampire Diaries) has been cast as James T. Kirk, debuting in season 2.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-paul-wesley-james-t-kirk-season-2-paramount-plus-1235205962/
DM

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #11 on: 06/16/2022 05:09 pm »
I have only watched 4 episodes so far, but I am really enjoying this show. I didn't realize how much I have been missing the typical Star Trek setting with single episode stories. Great characters as well.

This should is such a nice breath of fresh air from the tedious Star Trek: Picard, with lame season long stories that just have aimless plotting to say nothing, between the "hey remember this character" cameos. No thanks.

As far as canon goes, I wish "Strange New Worlds" would ignore it EVEN MORE and chuck canon out the window. I don't care if some details doesn't match old Trek. Not everything has to be one cohesive universe where everything connects and doesn't conflict. That is just tedious and has lead Star Trek into Marvel cinematic universe style fatigue. Just see it as a new take on classic trek. A new Star Trek.
« Last Edit: 06/16/2022 05:12 pm by Lars-J »

Offline Robert_the_Doll

• Florida
  • Liked: 1291
  • Likes Given: 443
« Reply #12 on: 06/16/2022 06:18 pm »
Quote from:  Lars-J
As far as canon goes, I wish "Strange New Worlds" would ignore it EVEN MORE and chuck canon out the window. I don't care if some details doesn't match old Trek. Not everything has to be one cohesive universe where everything connects and doesn't conflict.

I take a more nuanced view. Keeping to canon as much as possible means that the producers and writers are respecting the lore and what the fans fell in love with in the first place. That is largely a timeless thing. What I do not mind are the updates to the production quality and technology shown on the ship. Strange New Worlds has done a remarkable job balancing the two and I suspect much of the hatred shown to Discovery would not be near what it is had the production staff taken the balanced approach of Strange New Worlds.

But this is far from the first time that Star Trek as a franchise has made such major changes to its visual and technological continuity. The first and foremost always will be those made for Star Trek:The Motion Picture.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7823
« Reply #13 on: 07/11/2022 05:03 pm »
I have now watched the series (well, I skipped one episode I need to watch). It is better than "Discovery" and "Picard," and not as dark. The production values are high, although I think that "The Orville" has better special effects. They don't do much exterior shooting, relying upon their big stage setup (and probably also because being in Canada doesn't let them get out much?).

The episodes are generally good, although I saw nothing that truly amazed me. Partly it was some uninspired direction (why emulate "Alien" but do a mediocre job shooting it?). But I also found that almost every episode I ended up confused by something, as if I missed a line of dialogue. I eventually concluded that it was the way the show is written, and they occasionally take some jumps with the story or leave out important dialogue.* It just started to annoy me, because it pulled me out of the story--why are they doing X? I'd be thinking, and not pay attention to what was happening.

I was also bothered by the fact that the writers seem to think that trauma equals character depth. Look at how many of the key characters are traumatized: Pike with visions of his death, Uhura lost her parents, Noonien-Singh lost her family, M'Benga's daughter is dying, Spock lost his sister, Una is hiding a secret (as is M'Benga). It really got to be overwhelming. (I'd add that the show treats kids as characters to traumatize: in an early episode there's a refugee girl who is quickly killed, then there's the young boy who is going on to "ascend" on his planet, then there's the little girl in the "Alien" episode, and finally the young boy we briefly see in the last episode who we learn is later going to die--seriously, 4 out of 10 episodes feature kids getting treated badly?)

I liked the episodic nature of the show, and I like that it is not nearly as dark as "Discovery." But I did not find myself falling in love with these characters or sitting on the edge of my seat. Not like "The Expanse."

*Spoiler. An example is the young boy who is going to "ascend." He gets beamed away by a spaceship. Then we discover that they didn't beam him away, they beamed him to a cargo container on the Enterprise. Huh? Why? I didn't understand that, and the fact that the people from the other planet who were trying to rescue him never made an appearance at all was also a bad writing decision. These kinds of things kept leaving me confused. I'm not reading my phone during the episodes, and yet I kept scratching my head at different points.
« Last Edit: 07/11/2022 08:15 pm by Blackstar »

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #14 on: 07/24/2022 09:12 am »
A cross-over episode with Lower Decks has been announced for season two.

https://twitter.com/StarTrekOnPPlus/status/1550946433741750272

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography