Author Topic: Year In Review: Curiosity & Opportunity – Revelations, pushing the limits  (Read 7164 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 780
  • Likes Given: 1131
Feature by Chris Gebhardt!

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2016/12/yir-ii-curiosity-opportunity-revelations-longevity/

The biggest revelation was the possible geyserite found in old Spirit images, which, though dead, still delivers new findings.
Apologies in advance for any lack of civility - it's unintended

Offline eric z

• Liked: 475
  • Likes Given: 2127
Fantastic article,Mr.C.G.! I kinda lost track of some of the developments on Mars this year from the two remarkable Rovers still chugging along. Great to know Spirit's data -set still providing exciting info, too.
Continued good luck to the JPL/industry teams providing our eyes and ears on Mars, so-to-speak! 8)

Offline whitelancer64

The Mars rovers have rewritten our understanding of Mars several times over, it is good to know that they are doing well. Excellent overview, and hopefully they will be featured in year-in-reviews for some time to come :)
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7348
  • Likes Given: 3749
Wow what a great article. It was like a book that I couldn't put down. I started reading it and constantly finding myself backing up to compare what I had just read with something said earlier. It was a really, really interesting read.
Thanks Chris. Awesome!
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline SimonShuttle

• Elite Veteran
  • Manchester, England
  • Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 89
Epic work Chris G! They've been busy rovers!

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
Wonderful article Chris G. thank you! :) Amazing science form amazing machines, the teams should be rightfully proud!
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
Great article, great hardware, great teams.

Slipping the surly bonds of Earth to bring us untold tales of another World.

Paul

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 780
  • Likes Given: 1131
The Mars rovers have rewritten our understanding of Mars several times over, it is good to know that they are doing well. Excellent overview, and hopefully they will be featured in year-in-reviews for some time to come :)

Actually the mission scientists have done that.  That rovers have not written a thing. ;)
Apologies in advance for any lack of civility - it's unintended

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography