Author Topic: Indian Human Spaceflight Program  (Read 410150 times)

Offline Indo-guy

• Singapore
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Indian Human Spaceflight Program
« Reply #160 on: 11/01/2014 04:33 pm »
What will an Indian crew do in orbit?   After test flights will they dock with ISS?   And what happens when ISS is retired?

When the Chinese had their first piloted flight in 2003 they already had Tiangong planned as an interim space station.   India has nothing like this planned.

Something will go in space. it could be some kind of orbiting lab module with bio/metallurgy science. I read it somewhere, but I may be wrong.

Nopes . Not for this Crew module !

That was planned for SRE 2 which was supposed to stay in LEO for few days .

CCMB Hyderbad had planned to send E Coli bioreactor and ISRO-Jaxa joint experiment for Caynobacteria bioreactor was scheduled to be flown aboard SRE2 for biology experiments  . Besides some nanomaterial projects based on metallurgy and biomimetics have also been planned .

Now that crew module is planned to be dropped from height of 120 km  , there is no question of doing any microgravity experiments as the crew module will spent hardly any time in microgravity state .

Offline antriksh

• Liked: 132
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #161 on: 11/02/2014 02:18 am »
What will an Indian crew do in orbit?   After test flights will they dock with ISS?   And what happens when ISS is retired?

When the Chinese had their first piloted flight in 2003 they already had Tiangong planned as an interim space station.   India has nothing like this planned.

Something will go in space. it could be some kind of orbiting lab module with bio/metallurgy science. I read it somewhere, but I may be wrong.

Nopes . Not for this Crew module !

That was planned for SRE 2 which was supposed to stay in LEO for few days .

CCMB Hyderbad had planned to send E Coli bioreactor and ISRO-Jaxa joint experiment for Caynobacteria bioreactor was scheduled to be flown aboard SRE2 for biology experiments  . Besides some nanomaterial projects based on metallurgy and biomimetics have also been planned .

Now that crew module is planned to be dropped from height of 120 km  , there is no question of doing any microgravity experiments as the crew module will spent hardly any time in microgravity state .

Thanx. but that was about future possibilities.
Nasadiya Sukta:
Srishti se pehle sat nahin thaa, asat bhi nahin | Antariksh bhi nahin, aakaash bhi nahin thaa | chhipaa thaa kyaa, kahaan, kisne dhakaa thaa | us pal to agam, atal jal bhi kahaan thaa ||

From: 1st verse of 129th Hymn of the 10th Book of Rig Veda

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #162 on: 11/02/2014 03:34 am »

I remember reading that ISRO has plans to dock 2 satellites together in space. Don't know where that is on the roadmap, though. And of course haven't heard of anything resembling a space station on the roadmap. But maybe that just gives ISRO more options for a Flexible Path.

Here you go - read about the Rendezvous & Docking experiment (RVD):

http://antariksh-space.blogspot.ca/2013/07/isro-rendezvous-docking-experiment.html
« Last Edit: 11/02/2014 03:50 am by sanman »

Offline neosky

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #163 on: 11/12/2014 09:07 am »
India's First Manned Space Mission likely to be in 2021:  http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/india-s-first-manned-space-mission-in-2021-isro-chairman-to-ndtv-619855?pfrom=home-lateststories

A manned Indian mission to space could take place in 2021 - seven years from now - given the progress that the Indian Space Research Organisation has made in its design and development efforts, ISRO Chairman Dr K Radhakrishnan, has told NDTV.

Offline abhishek

• Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #164 on: 11/12/2014 09:32 am »
what ? I thought the name Vyomanaut had been finalized?
10, 9, ignition sequence start 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0, all engines running Lift off, we have a lift off, lift off

Offline vyoma

• India
  • Liked: 850
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #165 on: 11/12/2014 09:49 am »
what ? I thought the name Vyomanaut had been finalized?

Yes, even I thought "Vyomanaut" was finalized few years ago. However, I prefer "Vyomagaami" :)

Offline vineethgk

• India
  • Liked: 187
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #166 on: 11/12/2014 11:39 am »
Not sure whether we need to stick with a 'naut' suffix when used with Sanskrit prefixes. Kind of looks awkward if you ask me. A few other choices that comes to my mind is 'antariksha yatri', 'gagana yatri' etc.  ;)

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #167 on: 11/12/2014 01:43 pm »
Not sure whether we need to stick with a 'naut' suffix when used with Sanskrit prefixes. Kind of looks awkward if you ask me. A few other choices that comes to my mind is 'antariksha yatri', 'gagana yatri' etc.  ;)
It's an international custom for the rest of the languages. You have the Russian "cosmonaut", the American "astronaut", the Chinese "Taikonaut", even the first French to space was called a "spacionaut", but since ESA and JAXA fly in Russian and American crafts, they don't get naming rights. If you were to be the fourth country to have an indigenous manned craft, you'll probably be named "vyomanaut" by the rest of the world. And that's what the rest of the world will call you. You can use whatever internal name you want. I always dreamed of a espacionaut or spatzionaut, but neither Argentina nor Italy seem any close to actually get their own craft and launcher combo (though the Italian have made quite a few contribution to the American's and the ISS, as well as Vega and Ariane program).

Offline sanman

« Reply #168 on: 11/12/2014 02:34 pm »
I'd personally prefer to see the Sanskritized word "Antrikshak" to be popularized for use in local Indian languages, and of course "astronaut" when using english.

Offline hop

• Liked: 553
  • Likes Given: 891
« Reply #169 on: 11/12/2014 09:20 pm »
the Chinese "Taikonaut"
Note that "Taikonaut" was invented by the media (edit: or perhaps enthusiasts, but certainly popularized by the western media) trying to continue the astronaut / cosmonaut pattern, not by people in the Chinese program. AFAIK the Chinese use "yuhangyuan" (see http://www.worldwidewords.org/turnsofphrase/tp-yuh1.htm), which is they same word they use for astronauts of other nations.

The whole pattern of using different words depending on the space travelers nationality is a just a weird cold war relic IMO. We call a pilot a pilot no matter where they are from or who's airplane they fly.  The media will probably feel compelled to come up with a new 'naut term for India though, so carry on...
« Last Edit: 11/12/2014 09:21 pm by hop »

Offline antriksh

• Liked: 132
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #170 on: 11/15/2014 09:17 am »
Inside Crew Module Flight Simulator

Nasadiya Sukta:
Srishti se pehle sat nahin thaa, asat bhi nahin | Antariksh bhi nahin, aakaash bhi nahin thaa | chhipaa thaa kyaa, kahaan, kisne dhakaa thaa | us pal to agam, atal jal bhi kahaan thaa ||

From: 1st verse of 129th Hymn of the 10th Book of Rig Veda

Offline abhishek

« Reply #171 on: 11/15/2014 03:52 pm »
I'd personally prefer to see the Sanskritized word "Antrikshak"

Actually why even bother naming when they haven't done so with the rockets and satellites.They prefer rudimentary names like SLV,PSLV,GSLV,MOM.

I wound't be surprised if they eventually name the astronauts as Man on Space(MOS).
10, 9, ignition sequence start 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0, all engines running Lift off, we have a lift off, lift off

Offline Stan Black

• Liked: 377
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #172 on: 11/15/2014 07:18 pm »

Actually why even bother naming when they haven't done so with the rockets and satellites.They prefer rudimentary names like SLV,PSLV,GSLV,MOM.

I wound't be surprised if they eventually name the astronauts as Man on Space(MOS).

BIO - bloke in orbit?

Offline Bob Shaw

• Liked: 727
  • Likes Given: 676
« Reply #173 on: 11/15/2014 07:28 pm »
Keeping the naming simple would be good - there are already far too many names for exactly the same job description. Cosmonaut, Astronaut, Spacionaut, Taikonaut - at least Yuhangyuan, the proper Chinese term, is generic and non-national. Hopefully India sees sense, too...
« Last Edit: 11/15/2014 07:29 pm by Bob Shaw »

Offline Ixian77

• US
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #174 on: 11/16/2014 02:57 am »
So........Persionaut/Persinaut, when the Iranians go for it?

Offline vineethgk

• India
  • Liked: 187
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #175 on: 11/17/2014 05:23 am »

BIO - bloke in orbit?

@abhishek & @Stan, thats a good one..  ;D Nearly had me rolling with laughter. It may not mean much in terms of rocket science, but I agree ISRO has been terribly unimaginative when it comes to naming rockets and satellites. A bit too functional I would say. There are many Indian names that they could have chosen, something like the way DRDO names their missiles.

Offline vyoma

• India
  • Liked: 850
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #176 on: 11/17/2014 08:38 am »

BIO - bloke in orbit?

@abhishek & @Stan, thats a good one..  ;D Nearly had me rolling with laughter. It may not mean much in terms of rocket science, but I agree ISRO has been terribly unimaginative when it comes to naming rockets and satellites. A bit too functional I would say. There are many Indian names that they could have chosen, something like the way DRDO names their missiles.

By the way, ISRO calls its rocket-grade kerosene used in SCE-200 as "Isrosene" :)

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #177 on: 11/17/2014 02:07 pm »
Anyone know if the program is authorized and funded yet?

Offline abhishek

« Reply #178 on: 11/17/2014 05:20 pm »
Anyone know if the program is authorized and funded yet?

No,Not yet

Only pre project activities have been authorized by the government......For that the government had sanctioned about 23 million $.The total cost of the program is roughly around 2 billion $ which will be sanctioned in the next 5 year plan ie 2018-2023.

« Last Edit: 11/17/2014 05:22 pm by abhishek »

Offline sanman

« Reply #179 on: 11/17/2014 07:23 pm »

« Last Edit: 11/17/2014 07:28 pm by sanman »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston