Author Topic: Endeavour Tour Guide Model  (Read 16362 times)

Offline MikeCA1974

• Los Angeles
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
Endeavour Tour Guide Model
« on: 01/31/2020 09:48 am »
Hi Everyone. I used to work for Lockhead Martin during the Shuttle program and now I get to give tours of Endeavour and ET-94 (how AWESOME is that?).

I’ve built a model (Dragon 1/144 Shuttle & ET (heavily modified), Airfix SRB bodies, with detailed forward/aft skirts).

I am also working on a mobile launchpad to use as a base.

I have a few questions that I haven’t been able to find.

1) I want to have the right SRB be the original pre-Challenger SRM and the left be the final version of the RSRM used on STS-135. Any advice on how to simulate it?

2) I managed to connect Endeavour to a model of ET-94 using 3 attachments. I had to reinforce them all with steel RC plane rods. It’s still not rugged enough to securely hold the Orbiter on (it can slide off too easily when I demonstrate the roll program). Any advice on how to make an attachment on the Orbiter model that will hold up to repeated connect/disconnects?

3) I used two different kind of card stock to simulate the AFRSI & FRSI (wow, it really looks like it!). I want to explain the differences between Challengers TPS and her replacements, Endeavour. I understand the differences between the LRSI tiles and the AFRSI. However did Columbia and Challenger have the extra black HRSI tiles on their vertical stabilizers? Both of them were originally delivered with the same HRSI pattern as their younger sisters. What prompted the change?

Finally, if there are any suggestions on how to make improvements, please feel free! I welcome the advice.

Thank you! —-MECO Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MikeCA1974

• Los Angeles
Re: Endeavour Tour Guide Model
« Reply #1 on: 01/31/2020 09:57 am »
Here’s the SRMs and MLP that I’m working on. The MLP has the correct sized flame trenches but the MLP is only 1:200 scale. LOL, I have to make it small enough to have it fit in the case, but at least the blast chambers are to scale.

Any advice on how to make this more rugged. Also any advice on how to show the difference between the SRM and RSRM?

Offline MikeCA1974

• Los Angeles
« Reply #2 on: 01/31/2020 09:59 am »

Offline MikeCA1974

• Los Angeles
« Reply #3 on: 01/31/2020 09:59 am »

Offline MikeCA1974

• Los Angeles
« Reply #4 on: 01/31/2020 10:00 am »

Online laszlo

• Liked: 1235
  • Likes Given: 530
« Reply #5 on: 01/31/2020 11:15 am »
2) I managed to connect Endeavour to a model of ET-94 using 3 attachments. I had to reinforce them all with steel RC plane rods. It’s still not rugged enough to securely hold the Orbiter on (it can slide off too easily when I demonstrate the roll program). Any advice on how to make an attachment on the Orbiter model that will hold up to repeated connect/disconnects?

Explosive bolts?  ;D

More seriously, rare earth magnets have an incredible grip. Even better, if the mating surface is a soft iron nail, you can turn that into an electromagnet by wrapping it with wire. When the coil is not energized, the rare earth magnet will stick to the nail head, but when the coil is energized the 2 magnets, rare earth and electro, will repel each other (if they don't, try reversing the leads to the battery).

Offline MikeCA1974

• Los Angeles
« Reply #6 on: 02/01/2020 02:19 am »
Thank you laszo! That's a great idea!

Offline MikeCA1974

• Los Angeles
« Reply #7 on: 02/01/2020 02:28 am »
I think I found the difference between the SRM and RSRM. I knew they upgraded the lower SRB attached ring from a 270 degree ring to a full 360 version (with insta-foam).

It looks like they reinforced the steel cases with straps. The electrical tunnel on the RSRM looks slightly larger to accommodate the joints heating cabling.

The left is from Challengers STS-61-A. The right is Discovery's final launch using the RSRM.

Offline Fequalsma

• Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: 02/03/2020 03:06 am »
Mike where are you seeing the steel strap reinforcements in your photos? 

The 270 ETA ring was another problem addressed in the post-Challenger stand-down.  They were breaking significant numbers of bolts, and also noted negative safety margins, in the 270 ring before 51L.  A Marshall-Langley team did a full redesign (TM-100476) of the 270 ring, but it was not accepted.  Instead, a USBI-developed 360 ring was flown, despite being much heavier and draggier.  But hey - they stopped breaking bolts and had positive margins - NASA, go figure.

F=ma

Offline MikeCA1974

• Los Angeles
« Reply #9 on: 02/03/2020 07:07 am »
Hi there. I didn't realize they tried to modify the 270 attachment ring before switching to the 360. Interesting, thank you!

Here is the additional rings on the steel case SRMs that I am referring to. The photo on the right is from 51-C.

Offline MikeCA1974

• Los Angeles
« Reply #10 on: 02/23/2020 10:27 pm »
Thank you for the magnet idea!!! I did tours for 8 hours and it worked perfectly.

I used the ET fuel line connections to mount the magnets. Then I just slid in some metal through the models mounting holes.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography