Author Topic: ISRO & Reusability: Wings vs VTVL  (Read 17130 times)

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
ISRO & Reusability: Wings vs VTVL
« on: 05/16/2016 02:46 pm »
ISRO has always tried to pitch cost savings as one of its over-arching goals, and had long ago envisioned pursuing reusability as a means towards this goal. Now that reusability by other space launch providers is demonstrating itself to be a prime cost-saver, ISRO is likely to face increasing expectations from the public in this regard.

http://www.asianscientist.com/2016/05/columns/isro-frugal-frontier/

When ISRO charted its path towards reusability long ago, the state-of-the-art in this field was the US Space Shuttle, a winged spacecraft. Likewise, ISRO selected a winged vehicle as its means of achieving reusability in launch vehicles. The upcoming RLV-TD testflight is intended to serve as a testbed demonstration and validation of the basic technologies ISRO intends to use for its future reusable space launch platform, the TSTO.

In the meantime, the US Space Shuttle program has been wound down in the US, and further iterations of this  winged launch vehicle are unlikely to be pursued. Among the newer generation of private space launch providers in the US, SpaceX and Blue Origin are leading the race into Vertical-Takeoff-Vertical-Landing (VTVL), which is now said to be the optimal way to do reusable spaceflight.

So is ISRO's future path to reusability now outmoded in the context of the new state-of-the art? Will ISRO still continue to pursue winged reusable spaceflight even when VTVL is advertising itself as inherently superior?

While it's understood that VTVL may be more technologically difficult than the older Shuttle-style horizontal winged landing, is it beyond ISRO's capabilities to move in this direction?
Would it be worth shifting towards VTVL at this juncture, since it may provide superior performance in the long run?
Having already invested so much planning into winged reusability, is it politically feasible to move in this direction?
Or will ISRO just naturally evolve towards VTVL after having gone through its winged exploratory phase?

How far away is India from having a reusable launch vehicle like the TSTO?
How much farther behind would it get if it shifted towards reusable VTVL?
Could some hybrid combination of the 2 approaches be useful?

Is it possible that reusability might even make its way into the ULV architecture, whether through wings or VTVL?

Offline cave_dweller

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: ISRO & Reusability: Wings vs VTVL
« Reply #1 on: 05/16/2016 04:45 pm »

Wouldn't VTVL require carrying additional fuel to facilitate controlled landing? This approach would obviate the need for massive landing infrastructure (5KM long runway) etc. and also lend itself to being flexible to location.

Shuttle/Wing on the other hand would not require fuel as landing is achieved using areo-dynamic slowdown/drag (typical plane).

Also TSTO (two-stage to orbit) specifies plans for retrieving the upper-stages as well. By saving on fuel using wings for the recovery of the lower stages, wouldn't it leave room to carry fuel to recover the upper stage?

Offline cave_dweller

« Reply #2 on: 05/16/2016 04:48 pm »
TSTO Profile

« Last Edit: 05/16/2016 04:52 pm by cave_dweller »

Offline sanman

« Reply #3 on: 05/17/2016 12:31 am »
The upper stage flight path sort of looks like VTVL, though I'm not sure if the parachute step disqualifies that. The closest thing it resembles is Soyuz capsule landings. I wonder if the parachute step would be dispensed with down the road, replacing the parachute mass with retroburn fuel mass. The diagram seems to imply that it will make an orbit before it de-orbits and returns to launch site.

But so I guess TSTO is intended to be a sort of combined hybrid approach, featuring both winged flyback and vertical landing.

While the winged flyback stage is meant to use semi-cryogenic kerolox and the upper stage is supposed to use hydrolox, I wonder if ISRO might ever consider developing a methalox engine and substituting that into the upper stage propulsion. Everyone on the forum has already mentioned the advantages of methalox over hydrolox, like the better propellant density, greater thrust, lower cost, relative safety and ease in handling, containment, etc.

ISRO seems to have already charted out its path on reusability, but I wonder how much room for flexibility there might be, as newer options and their advantages become known?
« Last Edit: 05/17/2016 01:07 am by sanman »

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #4 on: 05/17/2016 12:53 am »
Put some small wings on that second stage and land once around... :)
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline sanman

« Reply #5 on: 05/23/2016 09:03 pm »
Put some small wings on that second stage and land once around... :)

So the iterative progressive path I can imagine, is:

1) Shuttle-style spaceplane (12 tonnes) mounted on top of large SRB, like S-200 (parachute recoverable?)
2) SRB gets replaced with winged flyback booster powered by kerolox/semi-cryo engines
3) vertical launch stack is replaced with HOTOL
4) semi-cryo/kerolox engines are replaced with conventional turbojet + airbreathing scramjets (combined cycle)

Would steps 3 & 4 be steps forward or backwards - or sideways?

As far as bang-for-buck is concerned, then which direction is cheaper - kerolox or scramjet? Wings or VTVL?
Would HOTOL turbojet+scramjet facilitate "airline like" operations, as compared to kerolox and VTVL?

How do scramjets affect the "tyranny of the rocket equation"?
« Last Edit: 05/23/2016 09:24 pm by sanman »

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #6 on: 05/23/2016 09:24 pm »
1) We know from Shuttle/X-37B ops.
2) We know from X-15 re-usability.
3&4) Is basically SSTO which in all the years talked about has yet to fly including the interesting Skylon. Thus not flying would be a step backwards IMO...

Go with whats proven if you want to fly now...
« Last Edit: 05/23/2016 09:26 pm by Rocket Science »

Offline sanman

« Reply #7 on: 05/23/2016 09:27 pm »
3&4) Is basically SSTO which in all the years talked about has yet to fly including the interesting Skylon. Thus not flying would be a step backwards IMO...

Well, can TSTO be done with scramjets on the lower stage?
« Last Edit: 05/23/2016 09:36 pm by sanman »

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #8 on: 05/23/2016 09:35 pm »

Well, can TSTO be done with scramjets on the lower stage?
You would still need a rocket to get the scramjet up to speed so why bother thus Skylon does away with that... Just stick with a proven rocket design. Still waiting for the verdict on Falcon9R...

Online redliox

• Illinois USA
  • Liked: 683
  • Likes Given: 97
« Reply #9 on: 05/23/2016 09:40 pm »
I have to admit India has an interesting twist on winged spaceflight in essentially having the vehicle's nose separate.  I've never seen that suggested in a NASA configuration before, one with wings that is.  No need to incorporate a cargo bay or one winged vehicle piggybacking another.
"Let the trails lead where they may, I will follow."
-Tigatron

Offline sanman

« Reply #10 on: 05/23/2016 09:54 pm »
You would still need a rocket to get the scramjet up to speed so why bother thus Skylon does away with that... Just stick with a proven rocket design. Still waiting for the verdict on Falcon9R...

I thought the US has already flight-tested a vehicle with a combined-cycle engines.

How scalable are scramjets, for pushing against the rocket equation?

I have to admit India has an interesting twist on winged spaceflight in essentially having the vehicle's nose separate.  I've never seen that suggested in a NASA configuration before, one with wings that is.  No need to incorporate a cargo bay or one winged vehicle piggybacking another.

Well, the inter-stage gets lost as part of that - but hopefully it's not terribly expensive to replace.

Online redliox

• Illinois USA
  • Liked: 683
  • Likes Given: 97
« Reply #11 on: 05/23/2016 10:03 pm »

Well, the inter-stage gets lost as part of that - but hopefully it's not terribly expensive to replace.

It almost makes me think SpaceX and the STS teams got together and had a baby.
"Let the trails lead where they may, I will follow."
-Tigatron

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #12 on: 05/23/2016 10:04 pm »

I thought the US has already flight-tested a vehicle with a combined-cycle engines.

How scalable are scramjets, for pushing against the rocket equation?

There was the X-30 that never was all we have now is the X-51

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/x51-wave-rider/

I still see it as potential yet expensive point to point technology, not for orbital flights... Other may differ in opinion but no one knows the future...
« Last Edit: 05/24/2016 12:25 am by Rocket Science »

Offline sanman

« Reply #13 on: 05/23/2016 10:49 pm »
Well, according to this article, ISRO may even be looking at how to recover rocket stages the SpaceX way:

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/isro-to-look-at-possibility-of-recovering-rocket-stage-1409084

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #14 on: 05/24/2016 01:32 am »
Well, according to this article, ISRO may even be looking at how to recover rocket stages the SpaceX way:

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/isro-to-look-at-possibility-of-recovering-rocket-stage-1409084
They would be wise to see the "economics" of the SpaceX experiment first before deciding on an approach.

Offline sanman

« Reply #15 on: 05/24/2016 02:53 am »
Some people elsewhere on the net are mentioning that the TSTO (pictured in the diagram above) would use not only the semi-cryo/kerolox rocket engines, but also a "DMRJ" (Dual Mode Ramjet). So that lower stage would indeed use its kerolox engines for the vertical takeoff, but as it accelerated to high enough mach number, those engines would cut off and the Dual Mode Ramjets (also on the lower stage) would kick in, accelerating to hypersonic speed. At some point stage separation occurs, and the hydrolox-powered upper stage would proceed to orbit.

So the Dual Mode Ramjets are combined-cycle  (ramjet/scramjet), able to work across a wider mach range. I presume this is what's being flight-tested next month, in June, aboard a sounding rocket.
« Last Edit: 05/24/2016 02:55 am by sanman »

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 1002
  • Likes Given: 342
« Reply #16 on: 05/24/2016 07:32 am »
http://thewire.in/2016/05/23/not-just-the-rlv-td-isro-has-more-plans-for-slashing-launch-costs-37943/

In addition, ISRO was “very seriously” thinking of retrieving and reusing the core boosters of the GSLV and GSLV Mk-III in a SpaceX-like manner, according to him. The next generation Heavy Lift Launch Vehicle could also be designed with such reuse in mind.

The GSLV’s first stage, along with the four liquid-propellant strap-on boosters attached to it, account for almost three-fourths of the launch vehicle’s costs. “If we are able to recover and reuse [it], our reduction in cost will be maximum,” he said.
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline cave_dweller

« Reply #17 on: 05/25/2016 05:00 am »
RLV-TD HEX was flown up to 70KM altitude which is about as near as possibly safe within Mesosphere (85 KM) -- which is about the altitude range limit for scramjets (because air density falls off significantly after Mesopause)

Seems to me Scramjets are more for assisted flight (to an extent) and to save on fuel. Is my understanding inaccurate?
« Last Edit: 05/25/2016 05:00 am by cave_dweller »

Offline sanman

« Reply #18 on: 05/25/2016 05:48 am »
RLV-TD HEX was flown up to 70KM altitude which is about as near as possibly safe within Mesosphere (85 KM) -- which is about the altitude range limit for scramjets (because air density falls off significantly after Mesopause)

Seems to me Scramjets are more for assisted flight (to an extent) and to save on fuel. Is my understanding inaccurate?

Yeah, that's my understanding too - the scramjets are to improve the mass fraction - and I guess maneuverability is important too, because Indian launch vehicles sometimes have to perform a "dog-leg" maneuver to avoid Sri Lankan airspace.

The scramjet test flight, ATV-D02 (Advanced Technology Vehicle - Development flight 2) is scheduled to happen in June, in a few weeks.

« Last Edit: 05/25/2016 06:00 am by sanman »

Offline vineethgk

• India
  • Liked: 187
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #19 on: 05/25/2016 05:54 am »
ISRO to test rocket that takes its fuel from air

After successfully testing a technology demonstrator of a reusable launch vehicle, Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is planning to test an air-breathing propulsion system, which aims to capitalise on the oxygen in the atmosphere instead of liquefied oxygen while in flight.
“The mission to test the technology would be launched either in the last week of June or early July from Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota. The mission would be on a sounding rocket,” K. Sivan, Director of the Thiruvananthapuram-based Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre told The Hindu.
The new propulsion system, once mastered, would complement ISRO’s aim to develop a reusable launch vehicle, which would have longer flight duration. The system, involving the scramjet engine, would become crucial while sending up the spacecraft.
According to ISRO, the Dual Mode Ramjet (DMRJ), the ramjet-scramjet combination, “is currently under development, which will operate during the crucial Mach 3 to Mach 9 ascend flight of the launch vehicle.”

Offline cave_dweller

« Reply #20 on: 05/25/2016 05:39 pm »
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19930085302.pdf

An interesting paper published by NASA that proposes a method to combine monoatomic oxygen (O) to diatomic oxygen (O2) to assist ramjet combustion for orbital flight beyond Mesosphere.

(.pdf attached)

Offline cave_dweller

« Reply #21 on: 05/25/2016 05:59 pm »
The graphic in this article is slightly different from the one I posted earlier.
http://www.deccanchronicle.com/science/science/240516/reusable-isro-shuttle-passes-test.html

It seems to imply that upper stage will not have any additional fuel for recovery. Instead, it will simply use aero-dynamic drag and parachutes and protected landing to recover it.

Offline sanman

« Reply #22 on: 05/27/2016 04:48 am »
The graphic in this article is slightly different from the one I posted earlier.
http://www.deccanchronicle.com/science/science/240516/reusable-isro-shuttle-passes-test.html

It seems to imply that upper stage will not have any additional fuel for recovery. Instead, it will simply use aero-dynamic drag and parachutes and protected landing to recover it.

Perhaps they may start with chutes and powered landing could be a later iteration.

This version with the smaller wings seems more suited for higher mach numbers:

Offline cave_dweller

« Reply #23 on: 05/27/2016 08:23 pm »
http://www.strategycenter.net/research/pubID.253/pub_detail.asp

Chinese perspective of winged body rockets. Good read.

Offline WIgorN

• Kyiv
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #24 on: 12/07/2021 04:45 pm »
Is it possible that reusability might even make its way into the ULV architecture, whether through wings or VTVL?
Why options for reusable VTVL systems are not being considered >> VT-orbital reentry gliding descent-VL. With a controlled "fall on the trampoline". The launch stages are unified (aerospike / invert aerospike, with a turn of the stream). Why drag wings into orbit when you can deploy a gliding parachute wing before landing.

TSTO - 2 or 3 boosters and 1 orbiter, on top of the payload delivered to LEO

Offline sanman

« Reply #25 on: 12/14/2021 02:37 am »
Why options for reusable VTVL systems are not being considered >> VT-orbital reentry gliding descent-VL. With a controlled "fall on the trampoline". The launch stages are unified (aerospike / invert aerospike, with a turn of the stream). Why drag wings into orbit when you can deploy a gliding parachute wing before landing.

So what I know is that there are plans to test in-flight abort system for human spaceflight program, and they plan to do test flight of crew capsule on a small booster stage for this. That small booster stage will be VTVL and will attempt to land back on the ground after the crew capsule is released as part of the test. So they are going to use part of human spaceflight budget to test some VTVL technologies.

Offline K210

• Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #26 on: 12/15/2021 05:36 am »

So what I know is that there are plans to test in-flight abort system for human spaceflight program, and they plan to do test flight of crew capsule on a small booster stage for this. That small booster stage will be VTVL and will attempt to land back on the ground after the crew capsule is released as part of the test. So they are going to use part of human spaceflight budget to test some VTVL technologies.

They are two seperate projects. The inflight abort test is planned with a modified L40 booster to lift crew module to Max-Q and test crew escape system under worst possible conditions that can be experienced in inflight.

The VVTL demonstrator will also be L40 derived but will feature a newly developed Vikas engine with throttling capability. It will also have landing legs and software to execute the landing procedure without human intervention.

Offline vyoma

• India
  • Liked: 850
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #27 on: 07/04/2022 09:57 pm »
ISRO planning to test RH300 stage recovery using IAD (Inflatable Aerodynamic Decelerator):

https://twitter.com/Varun55484761/status/1543626189675175937
« Last Edit: 07/31/2022 03:55 am by vyoma »

Offline vyoma

• India
« Reply #28 on: 07/04/2022 10:00 pm »
Inflatable Aerodynamic Decelerator design for Spent Stage Recovery (published on Dec 2021): https://www.researchgate.net/publication/356978724_Inflatable_Aerodynamic_Decelerator_design_for_Spent_Stage_Recovery

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8178
« Reply #29 on: 07/05/2022 04:21 am »
Here's the image from the tweet.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline vyoma

• India
« Reply #30 on: 07/23/2022 08:10 pm »
ISRO considering a vertical landing technology demonstrator mission using Test Vehicle (TV) developed for Gaganyaan Crew Escape System (CES) [11 Aug 2021].
« Last Edit: 07/23/2022 08:46 pm by vyoma »

Offline vyoma

• India
« Reply #31 on: 07/23/2022 11:03 pm »
DroneNet - Drone-based spent booster recovery using drones in formation and a net. Experiments with RH200 sounding rocket.

Source:

« Last Edit: 07/24/2022 02:41 am by vyoma »

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8178
« Reply #32 on: 07/24/2022 01:16 am »
Interesting idea of using drones with a net to capture returning rockets!
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography