Author Topic: Vector Launch (formerly Vector Space Systems)  (Read 402745 times)

Offline FormerVector

• Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Vector Space Systems
« Reply #1060 on: 10/12/2022 12:49 am »
This time ~3 years ago, Vector had a vehicle at (nearly? memory is fuzzy) the same state of build. At that time:

*Vehicle was massively overweight - if everything went perfect, it would throw dust into low orbit, but also:
*Engine performance quite a bit lower than spec (~88-90% vs 95% combustion efficiency, some of it likely also due to nozzle efficiency, details escape me at this point)
*Untested and unproven stage 2 autogenous pressurization system
*Untested and semi-designed stage 1 helium pressurization system
*Incomplete flight software/avionics (I wasn't as involved here so I wouldn't really know the final state even if it hadn't been so long)

It's entirely possible that they've solved some or all of these problems in the last 3 years. Pessimistically, that is the exact same hardware we had for the first "flight" configuration with zero upgrades or modifications. In which case I will give them that it can certainly be called a mission, and also suborbital flight. However that configuration (working off memory here) only had 2 out of 3 stage 1 engines, no pressurization system, and an inert second stage.

Vector did have additional sets of propellant tanks for both fuel+oxidizer for both stages. From what I remember, three sets of stage 1 and two of stage 2. If instead they cannibalized/pushed into the corner the first configuration and worked off the latest sets of tanks, that definitely helps with the weight problem. Everything else going well, you're actually talking positive payload mass to a decent-ish orbit at this point (but probably not much better than 300 km circular so not exactly useful).

Engine performance they could have either tested an improved design in complete secrecy (admittedly possible) or bought them from someone else (Ursa Major? not many other candidates here). Overall, I think as long as they had *someone* who knew what they were doing working on it for the past 3 years it's reasonable that they've gotten this at least close to the design spec, just based off existing work.

Stage 2 pressurization system I'm less inclined to believe has been sorted. Most likely it doesn't exist yet, or they just replaced it with a standard high pressure helium system. Probably wouldn't help much with the weight issues.

Stage 1 pressurization would be reasonable to assume is complete to some degree. It's not exactly a new concept.

Flight software/avionics is definitely iffy. It takes me a very long time to determine what code does, even if the last time I saw it was only a few months ago and I was the one who wrote it. Having a bunch of code that not only you didn't write, but it's also not even complete or documented very well, and there is no one you can ask questions about? Yikes.

And as a cherry on top, from what I know there is no one from the old Vector currently working with the new Vector. Some of us have driven by the Hunting Beach facility and there's nothing there but some of the old trailers parked in front of the doors. Not exactly a convincing argument that the above bullet points were addressed, if it doesn't even look like anyone works there.

Time will tell whether I'm off the mark here - they certainly had some tough challenges to solve, I'm interested to see how far they've gotten.

Online Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8180
« Reply #1061 on: 10/12/2022 06:58 am »
A brief summary of their previous launches

30 Jul 16  Vector P-20        Sub-scale Test Vehicle (Iceye payload)
 3 May 17  Vector-R B0.001    P-19H (parachute failed, 300 to 600 m)
 3 Aug 17  Vector-R B0.002    Landmapper-HD (Astro Digital), NASA, Center for
                              Applied Technology payloads (460 to 600 m)
« Last Edit: 10/12/2022 06:59 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81677
  • Likes Given: 36941
« Reply #1062 on: 10/18/2022 01:15 pm »
https://www.newswire.com/news/vector-to-focus-on-national-security-related-missions-appoints-21851454

Vector to Focus on National Security-Related Missions, Appoints Industry Veteran as CTO
PRESS RELEASE  OCT 18, 2022 09:00 EDT

HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif., October 18, 2022 (Newswire.com) - Vector Launch announces today the acceleration of its focus on U.S. government and national security-related missions by appointing 40-year defense and aerospace industry veteran Jeffrey Lane as Chief Technology Officer. Lane brings significant experience in weapons systems development and hypersonic vehicles at some of the largest aerospace companies in the world, with his most recent role being at Northrop Grumman Corporation where he was Chief Engineer of Hypersonic Systems.

"I am excited to join the Vector team and leverage my background managing advanced aerospace and defense programs," says Lane. "I look forward to helping accelerate product development as well as creating solutions to solve some of our nation's most pressing national security challenges."

"The Russian invasion of Ukraine and China's saber-rattling over the Taiwan Strait requires innovation in national security and aerospace," says retired Air Force Brigadier General, former Senior Defense Official and Defense Attaché to China, and former Senior Director for Strategic Planning at the White House National Security Council Rob Spalding. "The convergence of nuclear weapons and hypersonic vehicle technology makes Jeff's experience in these systems a powerful and prescient combination when combined with Vector's investments in resilient space technology."

Vector Launch will continue to leverage the foundation and significant capital investments it received to advance the unique capabilities it pioneered regarding mobile and survivable launch vehicles, secure remote command and control, and smart satellites.

Vector Launch also announces the addition of Shaun Coleman to its board of directors and as an Executive Advisor. Coleman has more than 30 years of Silicon Valley software and entrepreneurial experience and was Vector's first investor in 2016. Coleman was also the General Manager of its space systems division where he and his team developed an industry-first software-defined satellite solution named GalacticSky, which was later acquired by Lockheed Martin. 

"It is a privilege to be able to work again applying my experience with modern cloud computing, networking, and scamgraphy to a company which I have a long history and passion for," says Coleman.

Vector Launch's primary mission is to solve complex national security challenges facing the intelligence community, U.S. Department of Defense and other government agencies.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #1063 on: 10/21/2022 05:04 pm »

Offline PM3

• Germany
  • Liked: 1840
  • Likes Given: 1300
« Reply #1064 on: 10/21/2022 05:11 pm »
So far I am missing the word "orbital" in this flurry of Vectorism. Whatever they are planning in the rocket and satellite business, it does not look like launching the latter by the former.
"Never, never be afraid of the truth." -- Jim Bridenstine

Offline ParabolicSnark

• CA
  • Liked: 189
  • Likes Given: 124
Re: Vector Launch (formerly Vector Space Systems)
« Reply #1065 on: 03/07/2023 04:52 pm »
Looks like the new Vector are buying Hadley's from Ursa. Hope Ursa negotiated a heavy down payment.

https://www.ursamajor.com/media/press-release/us-rocket-propulsion-company-ursa-major-to-provide-engines-to-vector-launch?utm_source=social&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=ongoing

Launch Provider Outsourcing World-Class Propulsion for National Security Mission
DENVER - March 7, 2023 - Ursa Major, America's leading privately funded company focused solely on rocket propulsion, today announced an agreement with launch provider Vector Launch to support Vector’s recently awarded U.S. national security contract.

Ursa Major will supply several 5,000-pound thrust “Hadley” engines to power the main stage of Vector-R launch vehicles to demonstrate capabilities for future missions.

“Partnering with Ursa Major allows Vector Launch to pair its vehicle and responsive-launch innovations with world-class propulsion, said Jeff Lane, Chief Technology Officer at Vector Launch. “Ursa Major’s reliable, high-performing rocket engines will help ensure a successful demonstration and create a key national security capability for our company.”

Vector Launch is focused on solving complex national security challenges facing the intelligence community, U.S. Department of Defense and other government agencies.

The mission will demonstrate a liquid-fueled vehicle and launch using the Vector-R system, which includes:

Responsive mobile Transporter Erector Launcher (TEL) capability for rapid deployment from any location

Remotely controlled, secure command-and-control sub-system designed to survive adverse conditions

Reusable launch infrastructure

“Until very recently, launch companies had nowhere to turn for reliable, high-performing propulsion on-demand,” said Brad Appel, Chief Technology Officer at Ursa Major. “Vector Launch is yet another example of a forward-thinking, results-driven launch provider that’s going to support its customers’ missions with Ursa Major engines.”

The Ursa Major Hadley engine is a 5,000-pound thrust, oxygen-rich staged combustion (ORSC) engine fueled by liquid kerosene. Hadley is highly reliable, with more than 50,000 seconds of test runtime, far more than a typical engine is tested prior to first flight.

Ursa Major focuses solely on propulsion to lower the cost and risks of the most expensive, time-consuming, and risky aspect of space launch. Ursa Major’s flexible rocket engines can be used for various missions, from air launch to hypersonic flight and on-orbit missions.

Offline trimeta

• Kansas City, MO
  • Liked: 2147
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #1066 on: 03/07/2023 05:56 pm »
This is the same choice that the other half of the Vector ship-of-Theseus, Phantom Space, made with their Datona rocket. Makes one wonder just how different these rockets will end up being (should both of them see the light of day, of course)...

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #1067 on: 05/17/2023 02:45 pm »
https://twitter.com/vectorlaunch/status/1658840090662010881

Vector Launch & @ursamajortech Conclude Acceptance Testing of 1st Stage Engines for National Security Mission
youtu.be/cxg-OHZ5S4E
#natsec #DoD #rockets  #space #Hadley #engines

Offline trimeta

• Kansas City, MO
  • Liked: 2147
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #1068 on: 05/17/2023 03:26 pm »
Going through their previous tweets, they linked to this press release about a partnership with SEMPRE on what I assume is the national security mission being discussed here. No mention of "orbit," but lots of discussion of making sure the launch system can be used in hostile environments: EMP-hardened, dedicated wireless internet backhaul, remote command-and-control. It actually made me think back to the "Instant Eyes" program which Rocket Lab had been involved with early in its history (h/t to Vance's recent book for teaching me about this), where a small payload equipped with cameras could be launched suborbitally across a battlefield. No idea if that's true (and the use of Hadley, with its LOX oxidizer, may make it less feasible), but I don't know why else they'd be so concerned about defending the launch site against active threats.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #1069 on: 06/30/2023 08:50 pm »
https://twitter.com/vectorlaunch/status/1674882778993946630

Vector-R B1001, second stage integration today.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #1070 on: 08/29/2023 06:00 am »
https://twitter.com/spacebrandonb/status/1696370805985173609

I love how every once in a while VECTOR just pops into existence again, only for a second, but then disappears for a few more months

twitter.com/vectorlaunch/status/1696328051599241709

Vector launch vehicles new livery…

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #1071 on: 09/06/2023 09:37 pm »
https://twitter.com/vectorlaunch/status/1699533836567376214

Vector launch vehicle, vertical once again.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography