Author Topic: LIVE: Ares I/SD HLV Five Segment DM-2 Test - Aug 31, 2010  (Read 53376 times)

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7688
Re: LIVE: Ares I/SD HLV Five Segment DM-2 Test - Aug 31, 2010
« Reply #80 on: 08/31/2010 07:30 pm »
At some point very soon, ATK will be told to make adjustments to facilitate  the 5seg for HLV use and not as a first stage for A1. I wonder exactly what would need to be altered in the current design? The throat? The vectoring? Any thoughts?

That has yet to be determined. It could be we stick with 4-segment, or we get a 4+dummy Ares I-X style for future requirements (doubtful), or yes it could go all the way to a 5-segment for a J-246 variant. Time will tell, but in any case ATK won't be hurting.

Offline rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1967
  • Likes Given: 970
« Reply #81 on: 08/31/2010 07:38 pm »
At some point very soon, ATK will be told to make adjustments to facilitate  the 5seg for HLV use and not as a first stage for A1. I wonder exactly what would need to be altered in the current design? The throat? The vectoring? Any thoughts?

That has yet to be determined. It could be we stick with 4-segment, or we get a 4+dummy Ares I-X style for future requirements (doubtful), or yes it could go all the way to a 5-segment for a J-246 variant. Time will tell, but in any case ATK won't be hurting.

Ok, so I have a question for you. With 5 Seg doing so well in testing and HLV slated to be able to make great use of it and the timelines for development seem to match up very well, why wouldn't we go straight to 5 seg on a Block I HLV? Design it with 5 seg at inception for loads and ET attachment points...
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8560
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #82 on: 08/31/2010 08:59 pm »
News Release Issued: August 31, 2010 12:42 PM EDT

ATK and NASA Successfully Test the Second Five-Segment Ares Development Motor (DM-2)

DM-2 Test Collected More Data than any Previous Solid Rocket Motor Test
Test Data Will Provide Valuable Information for the Development of Future Launch Vehicles

PROMONTORY, Utah, Aug. 31 /PRNewswire/ -- Alliant Techsystems (NYSE: ATK) and NASA conducted a successful ground test earlier today of the second Ares five-segment Development Motor (DM-2).  The successful test is an important milestone in the development of America's next generation of launch vehicles.

Initial test data indicated that the motor, which was chilled to a 400 F core temperature since early July, performed as designed, producing approximately 3.6 million pounds of thrust, or 22 million horsepower, and burned for just over two minutes.  The test collected 764 channels of data to accomplish 53 test objectives.  This is the most data ATK has ever collected in a static fire test.

"The information collected from this test, used together with data from DM-1 and the Ares I-X flight test, will help further validate the five-segment design leading to critical design review next year," said Charlie Precourt, vice president and general manager, ATK Aerospace Systems, Space Launch Systems.  "The data will also confirm the performance and reliability of this solid rocket, which can be configured for use on multiple launch vehicles."

The five-segment rocket was designed to maximize astronaut safety while providing the United States with an affordable and reliable launch capability for both crew and cargo missions.  For example, a single five-segment solid rocket motor first stage, coupled with a liquid upper stage, would be able to lift more than 55,000 pounds of payload directly to Low Earth Orbit.

The main test objectives from today's static motor firing were measuring the first-stage rocket's performance at cold temperatures, and verifying the performance of new materials in the motor joints at the lowest range of operational temperatures.

"Testing at these extremes aids us in fully understanding all operating conditions for this motor," said Precourt, a former shuttle astronaut.  "This data, along with information we have collected over the past three decades, confirms that this is the most powerful and reliable solid rocket motor ever designed, and it is the right motor to ensure the safety of our astronauts."

DM-2 is the largest human-rated solid rocket motor built today, measuring 12 feet in diameter and 154 feet in length.  The five-segment motor is based on the design heritage of the flight-proven Solid Rocket Boosters on the Space Shuttle Program, and has been upgraded to incorporate modern technologies and materials.  These include the addition of a fifth segment, changes to the propellant grain, a larger nozzle opening and upgraded insulation and liner.

The five-segment cases remain the same as those used for more than three decades on the Space Shuttle Program.  Just like shuttle cases, the cases for this rocket are designed to be recovered and reused.  This enables NASA and ATK to collect vital post-flight information and performance data, confirming a safe and robust design.  The cases used in this ground test have collectively flown on 57 previous shuttle missions.

As the prime contractor, ATK continues to perform on schedule and on cost in support of NASA's space exploration programs.  The next test for the program, Development Motor-3, will be a hot temperature test conducted next year.

ATK is a premier aerospace and defense company with more than 18,000 employees in 24 states, Puerto Rico and internationally, and revenues of approximately $4.8 billion. News and information can be found on the Internet at www.atk.com.

Jacques :-)

Offline mkirk

• International Man Of Mystery
  • Florida/Texas
  • Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #83 on: 08/31/2010 09:15 pm »
OK, maybe some better updates here:
http://twitter.com/MarkKirkman

Thanks for the mention Phil. 

Some of us (actually most of us) were having serious internet/phone signal problems way out there in the middle of no-where with all those iPhones taking up bandwith - so twitter coverage was hard to execute today and not as timely or informative as I would have preferred.

Mark Kirkman
« Last Edit: 08/31/2010 09:26 pm by mkirk »
Mark Kirkman

Offline kermit

• Reston, Virginia USA
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #84 on: 08/31/2010 10:36 pm »
the motor, which was chilled to a 400 F core temperature since early July

I think that should be 40 F

Offline JosephB

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #85 on: 09/01/2010 12:19 am »
« Last Edit: 09/01/2010 12:19 am by JosephB »

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7688
« Reply #86 on: 09/01/2010 01:29 am »

Ok, so I have a question for you. With 5 Seg doing so well in testing and HLV slated to be able to make great use of it and the timelines for development seem to match up very well, why wouldn't we go straight to 5 seg on a Block I HLV? Design it with 5 seg at inception for loads and ET attachment points...

1. It wouldn't be ready as quickly as a straight 4-segment

2. Unnecessary additional $M/flight

As stated on the Direct thread in the past, you really don't need that extra performance for some time to come. Keep everything as cheap as possible, especially at the beginning. The greater the per launch costs, the less you have to work with for other things.

But in the end it will be a political decison, from somwhere.

Offline MP99

There is also a large flight history for the 4-segs, which is good for an HR'd SD HLV.

cheers, Martin

Offline TheFallen

• Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #88 on: 09/01/2010 08:43 am »
Curious how they chilled it down?

Strong air conditioning units inside the hangar where the DM-2 motor was stacked and prepped for the test.  ATK workers had to wear winter coats inside the building while the A/C units were activated.  The air was cold enough that ice even formed along parts of the motor and the structure holding it.
« Last Edit: 09/01/2010 08:45 am by TheFallen »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography