Author Topic: Artemis 4 - Orion Construction and Processing Updates  (Read 5603 times)

Offline whitelancer64

Orion Spacecraft
@NASA_Orion
We’ve got Artemis IV in the works!

Technicians at NASA's Michoud Assembly Facility recently finished welding the pressure vessel, the underlying structure of Orion’s crew module, that will carry astronauts to the Moon on the #Artemis IV mission.

https://twitter.com/NASA_Orion/status/1611111590492884994
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline whitelancer64

Quote from: NASA Orion
Transport time!🚚

The pressure vessel for #Artemis IV is ready to ship from Michoud Assembly Facility to @NASAKennedy, where it will become the third Orion spacecraft to carry crew to the Moon

https://twitter.com/NASA_Orion/status/1623436225360318465
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81623
  • Likes Given: 36930
Re: Artemis 4 - Orion Construction and Processing Updates
« Reply #2 on: 02/16/2023 04:40 pm »
https://twitter.com/howardhunasa/status/1626262475761917952

#Artemis IV @NASA_Orion crew module pressure vessel arrives at @NASA_Kennedy. Our spacecraft factory is in full swing with 3 Orion vehicles being prepared to carry humans to the Moon.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #3 on: 03/02/2023 02:41 pm »
https://twitter.com/lmspace/status/1631312153234882560

The @NASA_Orion pressure vessel is in development at the Neil Armstrong Operations and Checkout Building at @NASAKennedy.

This Orion vehicle will be the first to dock with @NASA_Gateway, the future lunar outpost that will orbit the Moon.

Offline DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4316
  • Likes Given: 1757
« Reply #4 on: 03/02/2023 03:03 pm »

The @NASA_Orion pressure vessel is in development at the Neil Armstrong Operations and Checkout Building at @NASAKennedy.
This Orion vehicle will be the first to dock with @NASA_Gateway, the future lunar outpost that will orbit the Moon.
I think this oversimplifies the Artemis IV mission. Orion will not be the first spacecraft to dock to Gateway. As I understand it:
   1)Starship HLS will dock to Gateway's HALO before Orion/I-HAB gets there.
   2)Dragon XL will also Doc to Gateway's HALO before Orion/I-HAB gets there.
   3)Orion will Dock to the co-manifested I-HAB before I-HAB is connected to Gateway. I don't think this counts as "docking to Gateway".
   4)Orion will do the hard and impressive work of docking I-HAB to HALO. IMO this is harder than later dockings of Orion to Gateway, but whether or not it is "docking to Gateway" is subject to interpretation. This is arguably the most interesting piece of the mission other than the actual lunar landing.

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
« Reply #5 on: 03/02/2023 09:42 pm »

I think this oversimplifies the Artemis IV mission. Orion will not be the first spacecraft to dock to Gateway. As I understand it:
   1)Starship HLS will dock to Gateway's HALO before Orion/I-HAB gets there.
   2)Dragon XL will also Doc to Gateway's HALO before Orion/I-HAB gets there.
   3)Orion will Dock to the co-manifested I-HAB before I-HAB is connected to Gateway. I don't think this counts as "docking to Gateway".
   4)Orion will do the hard and impressive work of docking I-HAB to HALO. IMO this is harder than later dockings of Orion to Gateway, but whether or not it is "docking to Gateway" is subject to interpretation. This is arguably the most interesting piece of the mission other than the actual lunar landing.
bold mine

I took that as the first of the Orion vehicles to dock to Gateway.
Paul

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #6 on: 03/14/2023 07:21 pm »
https://flic.kr/p/2onaqYd

KSC-20230221-PH-KSL03_0009
Seen here is the pressure vessel for the Artemis IV mission inside the Neil Armstrong Operations and Checkout Building at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida on Feb. 21, 2023. The pressure vessel is the underlying structure of the Orion crew module, containing the pressurized atmosphere astronauts will breathe and work in while in the vacuum of deep space. Artemis IV will be the first operational mission to Gateway - an outpost in lunar orbit serving as a staging point for deep space exploration - followed by a week-long surface mission on the Moon. Using Gateway, NASA will develop a long-term presence on the Moon, using this as a steppingstone before venturing on to Mars. Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett

Offline eeergo

-DaviD-

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #8 on: 07/14/2023 02:42 pm »
https://twitter.com/bonzack/status/1679856267035131905

Left to right: Artemis III, Artemis IV, and Artemis II Orion Crew Modules.

@LMSpace is assembling the fourth thru sixth Orion at the Kennedy Space Center, the first three being EFT-1, STA, and Artemis I.

AR2: Heatshield install
AR3: Prop & ECLSS welding
AR4: Primary Structure

Offline Vahe231991

• 11 Canyon Terrace
  • Liked: 462
  • Likes Given: 199

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston