Author Topic: Artemis astronauts assignments  (Read 21498 times)

Offline jmt27

• Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 26
Artemis astronauts assignments
« on: 04/08/2022 01:47 am »
First time poster here.

With Artemis having the goal of landing the first woman and first person of color on the moon, I started speculating on crew assignments for the first couple of missions. I know we'll have an announcement later this year on the crew of Artemis 2, but picking from the current Artemis roster here are my guesses:

Scott Tingle, Joe Acaba, Anne McLain  and Jenni Sidey.
I think many if not all Artemis missions will have 2 men / 2 women. I think those 3 NASA astronauts would be a good pick for the first mission and the CSA's ticket for Jenni seems the logical choice.

For Artemis 3, I had pictured Victor Glover and Jessica Meir for the return of humans on the moon and this tweet from Jessica is almost a confirmation for me.

https://twitter.com/Astro_Jessica/status/1512208980847824910

Opinions?

Online Rian

• Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 22
Re: Artemis astronauts assignments
« Reply #1 on: 04/08/2022 03:38 pm »
Theres been a bit of discussion on this in the flight crew assignments thread. I have the same Artemis II crew predictions except still between Anne McClain or Stephanie Wilson (I think it'll be Stephanie as she hasn't been assigned to any upcoming ISS flight in next 1-2 years).

For Artemis III I'm thinking Victor Glover, Christina Koch (she already has name recognition for her long ISS stint and is an engineer). Also, Christina has recently done helicopter training as well as has visited SpaceX Starship a few times. I could see either Christina or Jessica being backup for each other.
« Last Edit: 04/08/2022 03:40 pm by Rian »

Offline Delta7

• Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: 04/17/2022 03:24 pm »
I predict Scott Tingle, Stephanie Wilson, Kate Rubins and Josh Kutryk. Backup crew Victor Glover, Christina Koch, Jessica Meir, David St. Jacques.

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
  • Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #3 on: 04/19/2022 04:07 am »
Here are mine.

Artemis II:
-CDR Bob Behnken (former Chief Astronaut getting key flight) or Randy Bresnik (not on the Artemis cadre but has been significantly involved)
-CMP Scott Tingle
-LMP (a la Apollo 8) Stephanie Wilson
-FE/MS (title TBD) Joshua Kutryk

Artemis III:
-CDR Randy Bresnik (see above) OR Greg Wiseman (ditto on former Chief Astronaut)
-CMP Anne McClain
-LMP Christina Koch (first woman on moon)
-FE/MS/??? Joe Acaba

Offline jmt27

« Reply #4 on: 04/20/2022 03:35 am »
Behnken, Bresnik and Wiseman are not Artemis astronauts. Doesn't mean they wont be in the future but as of now they're not on that list.

Offline Endeavour_01

• Hazards & Risk Analyst in SC, USA
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #5 on: 04/20/2022 05:23 am »
My guess for crew assignments for Artemis II and Artemis III (as of today. I have changed my guess several times over the past couple of years):

Artemis II:

Cmdr: Reid Wiseman

Pilot: Jessica Meir

MS-1: Drew Morgan

MS-2: Joshua Kutryk

Artemis III:

Cmdr: Victor Glover (landing on moon)

Pilot: Anne McClain (landing on moon)

MS-1: Jonny Kim

MS-2: Jenni Sidey-Gibbons
« Last Edit: 04/20/2022 05:24 am by Endeavour_01 »
I cheer for both NASA and commercial space. For SLS, Orion, Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, Dragon, Starship/SH, Starliner, Cygnus and all the rest!
I was blessed to see the launch of Space Shuttle Endeavour on STS-99. The launch was beyond amazing. My 8-year old mind was blown. I remember the noise and seeing the exhaust pour out of the shuttle as it lifted off. I remember staring and watching it soar while it was visible in the clear blue sky. It was one of the greatest moments of my life and I will never forget it.

Online Rian

• Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #6 on: 04/20/2022 06:30 pm »
My guess for crew assignments for Artemis II and Artemis III (as of today. I have changed my guess several times over the past couple of years):

Artemis II:

Artemis III:

I've just realized that currently Canada has 2 flights for the Artemis Program (one on Artemis II and another to Gateway), ESA has two(?) as well (both to Gateway). I'm wondering since Artemis III technically doesn't go to Gateway if it will be a full NASA Crew. Artemis IV (as of now) is brining I-HAB to Gateway so I imagine an ESA Astronaut will be on Artemis IV. I'm just curious now on if Artemis III will be a full NASA Crew.
So maybe this whole thing is looking like...
Artemis II (3 NASA, 1 CSA)
Artemis III (4 NASA)?
Artemis IV (3 NASA, 1 ESA)

JAXA also has flights to Gateway that have yet to be announced fully. This is obviously all speculation but I'm really interested to see how it all plays out. (Especially with Artemis III).

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
  • Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #7 on: 04/20/2022 07:00 pm »
Behnken, Bresnik and Wiseman are not Artemis astronauts. Doesn't mean they wont be in the future but as of now they're not on that list.

I realize that. My parentheticals were meant to be why I included them anyway--sorry if that wasn't clear.

I've just realized that currently Canada has 2 flights for the Artemis Program (one on Artemis II and another to Gateway), ESA has two(?) as well (both to Gateway). I'm wondering since Artemis III technically doesn't go to Gateway if it will be a full NASA Crew. Artemis IV (as of now) is brining I-HAB to Gateway so I imagine an ESA Astronaut will be on Artemis IV. I'm just curious now on if Artemis III will be a full NASA Crew.
Artemis III (4 NASA)?

JAXA also has flights to Gateway that have yet to be announced fully. This is obviously all speculation but I'm really interested to see how it all plays out. (Especially with Artemis III).

This makes sense to me, except I thought I heard ESA has three slots. Re Endeavour's predictions, given the length of time between Canadian slots on ISS, I'd be surprised if Canada's second Artemis slot ends up being anywhere near its first.

Offline jmt27

« Reply #8 on: 04/21/2022 01:31 am »

Artemis II:

Artemis III:

Artemis III (4 NASA)?

For the longest time I was certain Anne McClain would be the first woman on the moon... So its either her or Jessica Meir.
Also yes, Artemis II will have 3 NASA + 1 CSA, but the next time we'll see another canadian going to the moon might be Artemis V or VI, for Gateway. Perhaps for the installation of Canadarm3.

« Reply #9 on: 05/10/2022 04:03 pm »
With Artemis 1 at NET August now and WDR still an incomplete task, I wonder at what point NASA will decouple the Artemis 2 crew announcement from Artemis 1 launch.

I assume the main and back-up crew probably know who they are at this point.

Offline JoeFromRIUSA

• Rhode Island USA
  • Liked: 100
  • Likes Given: 600
« Reply #10 on: 05/17/2022 06:20 pm »

Artemis II:

Artemis III:

Well, if this in fact is the Artemis 3 crew and if in fact Glover and McClain land on the moon, I doubt the conspiracy theorist will be questioning whether this landing was faked or not

Offline JoeFromRIUSA

• Rhode Island USA
  • Likes Given: 600
« Reply #11 on: 08/09/2022 02:16 pm »
Reid Wiseman, current chief astronaut, has stated that all 42 active NASA astronauts are available for Artemis missions

https://www.spaceflightinsider.com/organizations/nasa/are-all-astronauts-eligible-for-artemis-moon-missions/?fbclid=IwAR3O-OC3PRZk4UNX3F4RaMmOGZndmZ3ux3fBcvDx9TJwNQ1gFANzxvk1YsA

Offline cplchanb

• Toronto
  • Liked: 103
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #12 on: 08/09/2022 06:20 pm »
Is it common for chief astronauts to appoint themselves for mission commander? It would seem like a bit of a power flex move especially for a first flight like this.

Online TJL

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #13 on: 08/15/2022 10:58 pm »
Is it common for chief astronauts to appoint themselves for mission commander? It would seem like a bit of a power flex move especially for a first flight like this.
It happened during the Shuttle program...a couple of times (STS-49 and STS-71).

Online Eric Hedman

• The birthplace of the solid body electric guitar
  • Liked: 1953
  • Likes Given: 1142
« Reply #14 on: 08/15/2022 11:04 pm »
Well, if this in fact is the Artemis 3 crew and if in fact Glover and McClain land on the moon, I doubt the conspiracy theorist will be questioning whether this landing was faked or not
They will question it even if they went on the mission.  It is not about rational thought.

Offline Big RI Joe

• Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #15 on: 08/21/2022 04:59 pm »
Well sure. If "they" want to be labelled racists and misogynists

Online TJL

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 11/16/2022 04:54 pm »
I guess we'll know the crew assignment for Artemis 2 in late December following Orions return to Earth.

« Reply #17 on: 11/16/2022 05:16 pm »
Shouldn't we expect at least one European astronaut on Artemis II & III, in the orbital seats? Wasn't that part of the deal for the ESM.
« Last Edit: 11/16/2022 05:17 pm by JEF_300 »
Wait, ∆V? This site will accept the ∆ symbol? How many times have I written out the word "delta" for no reason?

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
« Reply #18 on: 11/16/2022 06:34 pm »
One Canadian Space Agency astronaut is most likely to be a part of the Artemis II crew. Didn’t see any sources (official or unofficial) about an ESA astronaut being a part of Artemis II.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline aquanaut99

• Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #19 on: 11/19/2022 08:07 am »
Shouldn't we expect at least one European astronaut on Artemis II & III, in the orbital seats? Wasn't that part of the deal for the ESM.

I think Artemis III will be all-American, for political reasons. Because if there are only 2 PAX landing and they have to be the first female and the first POC on the moon, the USA is very unlikely to let any other country have that honor. Sure, one of the orbital seats could potentially go to ESA (or JAXA), but that wouldn‘t be politically astute. As the first moon landing in over 50 years, there is bound to be a lot of public interest in this mission and talking heads in European countries would undoubtedly have a field day if an ESA astronaut were on the first return to the moon but wasn‘t allowed to land. Better to wait until Artemis IV, when public interest has waned and nobody is likely to stir up controversy. Also, Artemis IV is scheduled to assemble the Gateway, and here ESA participation makes a lot of sense.
« Last Edit: 11/19/2022 08:13 am by aquanaut99 »

Offline Ben E

• Likes Given: 9
« Reply #20 on: 11/21/2022 09:17 am »
Couple of questions:

Do we know yet what the crew designators are for Artemis II and beyond? NASA, SpaceX and Boeing seem to have stuck quite rigidly to the Shuttle-style CDR, PLT, MS1, MS2 profile, and I wonder if that will continue for Artemis?

Or will we see an Apollo-style CDR, PLT, LMP (?) etc system?

I would imagine a cadre of candidates for Artemis II must already be in place, but with a 2-year training profile the training teams must be ready to go by now. Does anyone know what the 2-year Artemis II training flow might "look" like, in terms of Orion systems training, SLS systems training, lunar geology etc?

Lastly, my pick is Bresnik as Artemis II CDR and Feustel as Artemis III CDR.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #21 on: 11/21/2022 09:43 am »
Jessica Watkins is a Geologist. Just saying...
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Online TJL

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 11/21/2022 11:38 am »
I'm sure the crew for Artemis II has already been selected by NASA but not officially released. Apollo crews were chosen approximately 2 years prior to their missions.

Online volker2020

• Frankfurt, Germany
  • Liked: 323
  • Likes Given: 832
« Reply #23 on: 11/21/2022 12:10 pm »
In the NASA live feed for Artemis I, one of the visiting Members of the NASA astronaut corps did mention, that the training schedule has been fixed, but so far no one was selected.

Online TJL

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 12/07/2022 12:32 pm »
How long after Artemis 1 returns to Earth on Sunday can we expect an official crew announcement for Artemis 2?

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
« Reply #25 on: 12/07/2022 05:02 pm »
How long after Artemis 1 returns to Earth on Sunday can we expect an official crew announcement for Artemis 2?
The only people who could possibly know the answer are those in the position to make such a selection. 
My guess is that it will be longer than either of us wish it to be.
Paul

Offline Ben E

• Likes Given: 9
« Reply #26 on: 12/12/2022 07:36 am »
Wiseman's departure from CB Chief is highly telling. But would he assign himself, as Lindsey did on STS-133, or leave it for Feustel to do? Or might this be a job for FCOD or even Nelson to authorise?

Online TJL

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 12/12/2022 11:15 am »
Wiseman's departure from CB Chief is highly telling. But would he assign himself, as Lindsey did on STS-133, or leave it for Feustel to do? Or might this be a job for FCOD or even Nelson to authorise?
Very interesting...I have a feeling the Artemis 2 crew announcement will come on the (54th) anniversary of the Apollo 11 crew assignment in early January. The only difference is that in the Apollo program you can actually surmise who would fly each mission because of the "back-up" rule.

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
« Reply #28 on: 01/29/2023 04:17 pm »
CNN Exclusive: Inside the secretive process to select the first astronauts for NASA’s next moon mission:
https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/29/world/nasa-artemis-moon-secretive-crew-selection-process/index.html

https://twitter.com/KristinFisher/status/1619744518726885377

Offline yg1968

« Reply #29 on: 02/13/2023 06:52 pm »
Quote from: Stephen Clark
NASA plans to name the Artemis 2 crew “in a month or two,” says NASA astronaut Stan Love in remarks at the Michoud Assembly Facility this morning.

Love will not be on the crew, but he says he will be a CAPCOM (spacecraft communicator) in mission control for Artemis 2.

https://twitter.com/StephenClark1/status/1625173094997409798

Offline yg1968

« Reply #30 on: 03/09/2023 09:04 pm »
Quote from: Administrator Bill Nelson
JUST IN: On April 3, we will reveal the crew for @NASAArtemis II! Four crew members – three from @NASA & one from @csa_asc – will fly around the Moon. Together, they’ll test the @NASA_SLS rocket & the @NASA_Orion spacecraft. We are going! #StateOfNASA

https://twitter.com/SenBillNelson/status/1633922018692198400

Online dsmillman

• Liked: 342
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #31 on: 03/10/2023 01:32 pm »
    March 10, 2023
MEDIA ADVISORY M23-028
NASA, Canadian Space Agency to Assign Artemis II Moon Astronauts

NASA and CSA (Canadian Space Agency) will announce during an event at 11 a.m. EDT (10 a.m. CDT) on Monday, April 3, from NASA Johnson Space Center’s Ellington Field in Houston, the four astronauts who will venture around the Moon. Traveling aboard NASA’s Orion spacecraft during Artemis II, the mission is the first crewed flight test on the agency’s path to establishing a long-term scientific and human presence on the lunar surface.

The event will air on NASA Television, the NASA app, and the agency’s website.

Media are invited to attend the event and speak with the astronauts about their assignments. Other experts working on Artemis missions also will be available. Additional opportunities to interview crew remotely will be available on Tuesday, April 4.

International media wishing to attend must contact NASA no later than 5 p.m. CDT Friday, March 17. U.S. media must contact NASA no later than 5 p.m. Monday, March 27. Media can RSVP to the Johnson newsroom by calling 281-483-5111 or emailing: [email protected].
Artemis II is the first crewed mission aboard NASA’s foundational human deep space capabilities: the Space Launch System rocket, Orion spacecraft, and the ground systems needed to launch them. The approximately 10-day mission will test and stress the Orion spacecraft’s life-support systems to prove the capabilities and techniques required to live and work in deep space in ways only humans can do.

The crew will include three NASA astronauts and one CSA astronaut, demonstrating the agency’s commitment to international partnerships through the Artemis program. Artemis II builds on the successful Artemis I flight test, which launched an uncrewed Orion, atop the SLS rocket, on a 1.4 million-mile journey beyond the Moon to test systems before astronauts fly aboard the systems on a mission to the Moon.

Learn more about Artemis at:
https://www.nasa.gov/artemis/
-end-

Press Contacts
Rachel Kraft
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1100
[email protected]
Dan Huot
Johnson Space Center, Houston
281-483-5111
[email protected]

NASA news releases and other information are available automatically by sending an e-mail to [email protected] (no subject or text in the body is required).
To unsubscribe from the list, send an e-mail message to [email protected] (no subject or text in the body is required).

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3364
  • Likes Given: 1138
« Reply #32 on: 03/10/2023 02:37 pm »
Has NASA announced the breakdown of international partner crew slot allocations based on contributions to the Artemis program?  Presumably ESA will get a slot on Artemis 3...
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline yg1968

« Reply #33 on: 03/10/2023 11:46 pm »
Has NASA announced the breakdown of international partner crew slot allocations based on contributions to the Artemis program?  Presumably ESA will get a slot on Artemis 3...

The international partners' contributions for Gateway have been determined but not the contributions to Artemis.

The ESA Director, Josef Aschbacher said that ESA astronauts would participate in the Artemis missions, especially in Artemis IV and V because they are also building and establishing the Gateway with ESA contributions in iHab and Esprit in particular.

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=57437.msg2434821#msg2434821

Offline hektor

• Liked: 1193
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #34 on: 03/11/2023 11:54 am »
So with CSA on Artemis II and ESA on Artemis IV and V probably it will be JAXA for Artemis III.
« Last Edit: 03/11/2023 11:54 am by hektor »

Offline yg1968

« Reply #35 on: 03/11/2023 12:51 pm »
So with CSA on Artemis II and ESA on Artemis IV and V probably it will be JAXA for Artemis III.

JAXA is also involved in iHab, so it would seem likely that it would be involved in Artemis IV. For Artemis III, no international participation has been announced yet.

Offline lykos

• Greece
  • Liked: 213
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #36 on: 03/12/2023 10:43 am »
I believe there is no chance for an ESA-astronaut to land on the moon soon (Artemis III, Artemis IV) and not for JAXA!
Its for sure not a problem of "first woman, first POC". (Besides there is a "woman of colour" in the team!)
How far I know there was never a agreement for this, only for ESA/JAXA to Gateway
Maybe some time in the future, when 4 and more people will land on the moon in one lander.
For now there is no nonamerican Astronaut in the "Artemis-Astronaut-Team" and the first 4-landing-crew may be Artemis VI.

Offline yg1968

« Reply #37 on: 03/12/2023 06:28 pm »
I believe there is no chance for an ESA-astronaut to land on the moon soon (Artemis III, Artemis IV) and not for JAXA!
Its for sure not a problem of "first woman, first POC". (Besides there is a "woman of colour" in the team!)
How far I know there was never a agreement for this, only for ESA/JAXA to Gateway
Maybe some time in the future, when 4 and more people will land on the moon in one lander.
For now there is no nonamerican Astronaut in the "Artemis-Astronaut-Team" and the first 4-landing-crew may be Artemis VI.

I mostly agree with your post but I believe that the first 4 astronauts crew landing on the Moon might not before Artemis VIII. Given that Artemis VII would use the pressurized rover which is expected to be provided by JAXA, I would assume that a JAXA astronaut will be on that mission. Four crew astronauts generally require the pressurized rover and the lunar habitat (2 astronauts in each). The foundation surface habitat is scheduled for Artemis VIII as of now.

See page 7:
https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/fy23_nasa_budget_request_summary.pdf
« Last Edit: 03/13/2023 08:59 pm by yg1968 »

Online TJL

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #38 on: 03/13/2023 12:54 am »
With the exception of the CSA astronaut selected for the prime crew of Artemis II, I would guess that the three NASA astronauts chosen will have spaceflight experience.
However, in order to give "rookies" dedicated training on Orion operations, there may be some astronauts assigned to the back-up crew without flight experience.
That's as far as my "guessing" goes for this flight assignment.
Looking forward to the April 3 announcement.

Offline vp.

• France
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #39 on: 03/13/2023 05:36 am »
Is it planned to have a backup crew ?

Online TJL

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 03/13/2023 08:13 am »
Back-up assignments have been used for every flight going back to Alan Shepard in 1961.
Can't see why such an important mission like this would be any different.

Offline Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1548
  • Likes Given: 1385
« Reply #41 on: 03/13/2023 11:23 am »
Back-up assignments have been used for every flight going back to Alan Shepard in 1961.

The Shuttle for the most part ceased use of backup crews after STS-4.
KSC Engineer, astronomer, rocket photographer.

Online TJL

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #42 on: 03/13/2023 11:32 am »

I always thought that due to the frequency of shuttle missions, the entire active astronaut cadre was available to back up any astronaut (or crew) with that same "specialty".

Offline Skylon

• Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #43 on: 03/13/2023 02:46 pm »

I always thought that due to the frequency of shuttle missions, the entire active astronaut cadre was available to back up any astronaut (or crew) with that same "specialty".

That's a fair way to put it. I'm assuming that Orbiter's comment was intended to mean specifically announced/designated backup crews. Even after STS-4 that happened a couple times - Greg Harbaugh was a backup EVA crewmember for STS-61. Rick Sturckow backed up Mark Kelly after Gabby Gifford's was shot, although that seemed more like Sturckow was filling in for Kelly during crew training until her medical condition was certain.

In other cases astronauts were relatively quickly pressed in to replace crewmembers - Kent Rominger for STS-85, and Steve Bowen on STS-133.

Unless the Artemis program becomes closer to an operational system though, I imagine we'll see specifically named backup crews in its future. I can't see its flight rate getting close enough to Shuttle to justify otherwise.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography