Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon Heavy : USSF-67 : KSC LC-39A : 15 January 2023 (22:56 UTC)  (Read 132040 times)

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3364
  • Likes Given: 1138
Discussion Thread for USSF-67 mission.

Successful launch January 15, 2023 at 5:56 PM EST (22:56 UTC) on Falcon Heavy from LC-39A to GEO.

Payloads:
CBAS 2
LDPE-3A

Space Exploration Technologies Corp., Hawthorne, California, has been awarded a $16,737,600 modification (P00005) to contract FA8811-20-F-0007 to add mission-unique launch services to the USSF-67 mission fixed-price task order under the National Security Space Launch Phase 2. Work will be performed in Hawthorne, California; Vandenberg Air Force Base, California; and Cape Canaveral Space Force Station, Florida, and is expected to be completed Oct. 2, 2022. Fiscal 2021 space procurement funds in the amount of $6,054,089; and fiscal 2021 research, development, test and evaluation funds in the amount of $7,582,317 will be obligated at the time of award. Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles Air Force Base, California, is the contracting activity.
« Last Edit: 01/17/2023 05:54 pm by gongora »
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/2305576/space-force-awards-national-security-space-launch-phase-2-launch-service-contra/

Space Force awards National Security Space Launch Phase 2 launch service contracts to ULA, SpaceX

/ Published August 07, 2020

"SpaceX has been assigned USSF-67, scheduled for launch in fourth quarter fiscal year 2022. "
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline Jansen

• Liked: 2235
  • Likes Given: 373
There is no information yet that this will be a Falcon Heavy.

What’s the source on LDPE-3?
« Last Edit: 05/17/2021 02:36 am by Jansen »

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
from this site's US Launch schedule

(2022) Q4 - USSF-67, LDPE-3 - Falcon Heavy - Kennedy LC-39A

Offline Jansen

from this site's US Launch schedule

(2022) Q4 - USSF-67, LDPE-3 - Falcon Heavy - Kennedy LC-39A

If you’re talking about Salo’s list, it’s pretty much a best guess. It’s not even the right timeframe. Q4 FY 2022 is Q3 CY 2022 for everyone else.

Edit to add:
https://spaceflightnow.com/2021/02/15/spacex-planning-launch-of-two-falcon-heavy-missions-in-summer-and-fall/
The Space Force’s USSF-67 mission, awarded to SpaceX last year, may also launch on a Falcon Heavy. But military officials have not confirmed a rocket assignment for that mission.
« Last Edit: 05/17/2021 02:54 am by Jansen »

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
A month after the contract award a presentation by an Air Force general showed 3 Falcon Heavies on contract.

Offline PM3

• Germany
  • Liked: 1840
  • Likes Given: 1299
Is there any information about the payload on this mission? Number of satellites, mass, orbit?
"Never, never be afraid of the truth." -- Jim Bridenstine

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
Is there any information about the payload on this mission? Number of satellites, mass, orbit?
There often isn’t this far out from the launch.

Offline Jansen

There often isn’t this far out from the launch.

Especially for NSSL, no need to tender.
« Last Edit: 07/06/2021 06:04 pm by Jansen »

Offline Phillipsturtles

• Florida
  • Liked: 95
  • Likes Given: 8
https://spacenews.com/falcon-heavy-could-launch-three-u-s-space-force-missions-in-2022/

USSF-67, a classified national security mission to geostationary Earth orbit awarded to SpaceX last year under a $332 million contract, is “on track for mid-to-late 2022 launch,” a U.S. Space Systems Command spokesman confirmed Oct. 30. The mission will fly on a Falcon Heavy rocket with an expendable center core, although SpaceX will be able to recover the two side boosters.

Confirmation that the center core booster for this mission will be expended and the side boosters I presume will be recovered with droneships.

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7393
  • Likes Given: 72421
SFN Launch Schedule update, March 25 (one of many):
USSF-67 launches in November 2022 from KSC LC-39A.
« Last Edit: 04/01/2022 02:25 am by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline scr00chy

• Czechia
    • ElonX.net
  • Liked: 1685
  • Likes Given: 1595
I'm guessing this is about this launch?

The first classified National Security Space Launch mission using a Falcon Heavy with refurbished boosters is scheduled for sometime from October to December, according to the Space Force. It’s a mission to launch a satellite for the National Reconnaissance Office, which develops and manages spy satellites, according to a previous Space Force statement.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-11/spacex-cleared-to-loft-us-spy-satellites-using-reusable-boosters

Offline AmigaClone

I'm guessing this is about this launch?

The first classified National Security Space Launch mission using a Falcon Heavy with refurbished boosters is scheduled for sometime from October to December, according to the Space Force. It’s a mission to launch a satellite for the National Reconnaissance Office, which develops and manages spy satellites, according to a previous Space Force statement.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-11/spacex-cleared-to-loft-us-spy-satellites-using-reusable-boosters

I would guess that the article might be referring to the future use of the side boosters used in this mission.

SpaceX has three FH launches scheduled for the USSF (USSF-44, USSF-52 and USSF-67). At the moment it appears that this mission will actually be the first one of those three to launch, so one or both of the others could be using flight proven boosters.

Online Alexphysics

• Spain
  • Liked: 5917
  • Likes Given: 945
Yeah it was previously planned for them to use the same side boosters on all missions but back then the order was 44, 52, and 67. Now it appears to be the opposite so this one will likely fly those side boosters as new boosters and then proceed with 52 and 44 reusing them

Offline Josh_from_Canada

• Saskatchewan Canada
  • Liked: 584
  • Likes Given: 182
Yeah it was previously planned for them to use the same side boosters on all missions but back then the order was 44, 52, and 67. Now it appears to be the opposite so this one will likely fly those side boosters as new boosters and then proceed with 52 and 44 reusing them

Has the center core assignments changed for these missions?
Launches Seen: Atlas V OA-7, Falcon 9 Starlink 6-4, Falcon 9 CRS-28,

Online Alexphysics

• Spain

Has the center core assignments changed for these missions?

Not aware of that, not sure they would care about changing those since they're all expendable anyways

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7393
  • Likes Given: 72421
Will 1076 be the FH center for this launch?  With 1064 and 1065 (also new) as the sides?

1075 is a FH side for Psyche.

1077 is for Crew-5.
« Last Edit: 08/19/2022 03:58 am by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Online Alexphysics

• Spain
Will 1076 be the FH center for this launch?  With 1064 and 1065 (also new) as the sides?

1075 is a FH side for Psyche.

1077 is for Crew-5.

Center core for this mission was previously scheduled to be B1079, probably still is. B1076 is a Falcon 9 booster to be flown as FH side booster on its 3rd mission.

Offline vanoord

• Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 106
B1066 and B1068 are the 'oldest' two FH center cores waiting for flight?

Offline scr00chy

• Czechia
    • ElonX.net
  • Liked: 1685
  • Likes Given: 1595
B1066 and B1068 are the 'oldest' two FH center cores waiting for flight?

Yes.

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography