Author Topic: Antares A-One Going to View the Launch  (Read 64542 times)

Offline effectivebits

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Antares A-One Going to View the Launch
« Reply #40 on: 04/15/2013 02:56 am »
So here's the million dollar question... I don't want to camp out on Arbuckle Neck just to get kicked out right before the launch by the local PD or a homeowner.  Would it be better to wait it out on the beach?

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
  • Virginia is for (space) lovers
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #41 on: 04/15/2013 11:26 am »
I know a bunch of people are going to Wright's restaurant, and the end of Wright road off Atlantic (second left after "the" intersection of Atlantic and Chicoteage) It WILL be crowded, though...
ARS LONGA, VITA BREVIS...

Offline block51

• Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #42 on: 04/15/2013 12:29 pm »
So here's the million dollar question... I don't want to camp out on Arbuckle Neck just to get kicked out right before the launch by the local PD or a homeowner.  Would it be better to wait it out on the beach?

That's a good question. I have heard rumors (mind you, this is the Eastern Shore and rumors spread quickly and aren't 100% true) that the land owner wants to limit the number of people down there as last time there was a orbital (vs. suborbital, though it was an OSC launch too...) launch a bunch of people ended up getting stuck in this field and tearing them up trying to get out.

I have a good fall-back point at a friend's house if I can't get down Arbuckle. Clear line of sight to the pad, though about 3.5 miles away.

The beach would be a decent place to watch from, as would the boat landing at Queen's sound, though the boat landing is about 8 miles away (http://goo.gl/maps/hjQeO from jsmjr's map).

Offline block51

« Reply #43 on: 04/15/2013 12:52 pm »
Just relayed to me by a friend who has contacts with the VA DPS (Virginia Department of Public Safety): Arbuckle will be open, however they will be limiting the amount of people down there to 15 cars. The Sheriff's office will be blocking the road and limiting access.

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #44 on: 04/15/2013 12:58 pm »
Anyone care to comment on the digital cellular coverage in the area?  What are the best providers?  What level of signal (3G, 4G, LTE) is offered?  Any experience with outages during large-crowd scenarios?

Offline Freddie

• Liked: 1
« Reply #45 on: 04/15/2013 01:19 pm »
Anyone care to comment on the digital cellular coverage in the area?  What are the best providers?  What level of signal (3G, 4G, LTE) is offered?  Any experience with outages during large-crowd scenarios?

Verizon Wireless (VZW) works well for me. 

Please view the VZW coverage map at http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorController?requesttype=NEWREQUEST&zip=23337&city=WallopsIsland&state=VA for level of signal as it varies depending upon the actual geographical location. 

Pony penning in July on Chincoteague has typically in the past been the largest local area crowd event, but I have not experienced any outages during that time.

Thank you!

Offline block51

« Reply #46 on: 04/15/2013 01:26 pm »
Verizon: 3G is pretty good across the area and 4G is good too if you are close to towers. That being said, there are definitely places were you won't really have data coverage. I'm sure with lots of people it will only get much much worse. It can be quite good somewhere and then you drive 1/4 of a mile and you don't have data connectivity and that's on a good day.

Offline block51

« Reply #47 on: 04/15/2013 03:14 pm »
Quote from: Captain's Cove Golf & Yacht Club
Excitement in the Cove is building in anticipation of the Orbital Antares rocket launch scheduled for 5 p.m. Wednesday – and one of the best views is right at our own Marina Club veranda! To celebrate the launch, we’re opening our doors early at 4 p.m. As usual, our Pizza & Wing night specials as well as “Out Of This World” Nachos and “3-2-1 Blast-Off” Burger (it’s got a kick!) are available. And for our guests interested in liquid libations, the drink special of the night will be “Rocket Fuel” (that’s got a kick, too!) If the launch gets scrubbed? No worries, we’ll scrub our event until the day the Antares takes off.

Don't get too excited... it's an ok restaurant with ok prices, but the beer is cold and plentiful. Could be a decent place to view the launch from. Good cell phone data coverage and open wifi. I'll probably view some launches from there in the future. I want to be closer for the first one!

Come to think of it, if we get another launch during the middle of the day on the weekend I can sit in / by the pool and tiki bar during a launch (pool is for members only alas)! Definitely going to have to watch some launches from there later on.

http://goo.gl/maps/khiuV (jsmjr's map)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Captains-Cove-Golf-Yacht-Club/128471250516999 (CCG&YC FB page)

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #48 on: 04/15/2013 03:42 pm »
Quote from: Captain's Cove Golf & Yacht Club
Excitement in the Cove is building in anticipation of the Orbital Antares rocket launch scheduled for 5 p.m. Wednesday – and one of the best views is right at our own Marina Club veranda! To celebrate the launch, we’re opening our doors early at 4 p.m. As usual, our Pizza & Wing night specials as well as “Out Of This World” Nachos and “3-2-1 Blast-Off” Burger (it’s got a kick!) are available. And for our guests interested in liquid libations, the drink special of the night will be “Rocket Fuel” (that’s got a kick, too!) If the launch gets s****ed? No worries, we’ll s**** our event until the day the Antares takes off.

Stop looking, we've found the perfect viewing location.  On top of the water tower behind Captain's Cove Marina Club.

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #49 on: 04/15/2013 04:02 pm »
From the US FWS:

@jsmjr    09 Apr
Dear @ChincoteagueNWR: What's status for viewing of @OrbitalSciences #Antares launch from @NASA_Wallops 4/17? Parking? Facilities? Access?

@ChincoteagueNWR   12 Apr
@jsmjr All systems are go for viewing #Antares launch from recreational beach. Parking is limited so come early. :O)

(Emphasis added)

Update: 

@ChincoteagueNWR  14 Apr
@jsmjr, This map should help. Toms Cove Hook is closed. Both Visitor Centers will close at 4 pm. pic.twitter.com/gS3E14LBq7

Offline block51

« Reply #50 on: 04/15/2013 04:51 pm »
That club appears to be very very far away (12 miles), further than Chincoteague itself.

It most definitely is far away. Just a possible option.

Offline smith5se

« Reply #51 on: 04/15/2013 05:45 pm »
Not sure where I'll be viewing from yet, but I will be there :-)
My views are mine, and mine alone and DO NOT reflect that of my employer nor my place of employment.

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #52 on: 04/16/2013 01:37 am »
Just relayed to me by a friend who has contacts with the VA DPS (Virginia Department of Public Safety): Arbuckle will be open, however they will be limiting the amount of people down there to 15 cars. The Sheriff's office will be blocking the road and limiting access.

What about foot traffic?  Bring the mud boots...
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline block51

« Reply #53 on: 04/16/2013 02:18 am »
What about foot traffic?  Bring the mud boots...

I'm not sure actually... I hadn't thought about that. Depending on where they put the road block / check point at, it could be a decent walk though. A mile or mile plus. I'll see what I can find out.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8575
  • Likes Given: 7674
« Reply #54 on: 04/16/2013 03:43 am »
Aerial Views of Antares on Pad 0A

Published on Apr 15, 2013
Aerial views of Orbital's Antares rocket on Pad 0A at the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport on Wallops Island, Virginia. Orbital developed the medium-class Antares launch vehicle to boost its Cygnus spacecraft into orbit to deliver cargo to the international space station under an agreement with NASA. In addition to the space station cargo missions, Antares is designed to launch payloads into a variety of low inclination low-Earth and sun synchronous orbits and interplanetary trajectories

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
  • Virginia is for (space) lovers
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #55 on: 04/16/2013 11:45 am »
As if I didn't have enough to do over the next couple of days, I'm going to bring my new portable (QRP) HF rig to Wallops to try to make a few "special event" contacts tonight (Tuesday) and possibly Wednesday.

After a few years of inactivity, I got myself the Elecraft KX3 (still have to make my first contact with it - this QRP stuff is new to me) so I think this could be an auspicious occasion.

If there are any hams out there, I will try to call CQ in the inevitable 20M band... unfortunately, the "official" QRP calling frequency, 14.285MHz, has been "hijacked" by a high-power net that speaks, I think, greek ( no offense to any of my greek friends.)

No promises, but I'll try around 10pm EDT tonight.

73 de KA1LLM
« Last Edit: 04/16/2013 11:45 am by antonioe »
ARS LONGA, VITA BREVIS...

Offline Freddie

• Liked: 1
« Reply #56 on: 04/16/2013 01:35 pm »
For those who will be in the Washington, D.C. area at the time of launch, Orbital Sciences has released an excellent series of photos showing how one can view the launch from areas in Washington.

To see the photos, please click on this weblink - http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?utm_content=api&utm_source=t.co&pid=43840&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=srs.gs-twitter.

Godspeed.

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #57 on: 04/16/2013 07:02 pm »
SCORE! Here's your KML file for the launch, courtesy of NASA.

Note, the website (http://www.nasa.gov/centers/wallops/missions/antares.html) also provides the following regarding "official" viewing sites:

For those living in or visiting the local area, there are two primary viewing locations for Wallops launches. The first is the Wallops Visitors Center located along Virginia Highway 175. Visitors are advised to arrive early as parking is limited.http://sites.wff.nasa.gov/wvc/.

The second site is the beach on Assateague Island (Virginia-side). Capacity is based on a number of conditions, such as time of year and state of the beach.http://www.fws.gov/northeast/chinco/.

Finally, visitors to the area may also inquire with local tourism officials on alternate viewing locations as well as any local business events tied into Wallops launch operations.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #58 on: 04/16/2013 07:20 pm »
Apparently this might help viewing:

http://sites.wff.nasa.gov/multimedia/docs/wffruh.pdf

"On page 24 of 67 there is a good diagram showing the buildings (Y-15, referred in the Orbital launch thread is clearly there!) "
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline wolfpack

• Wake Forest, NC
  • Liked: 159
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #59 on: 04/16/2013 07:25 pm »
SCORE! Here's your KML file for the launch, courtesy of NASA.

Nice! Any easy way to mark staging on that track?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography