Author Topic: Antares A-One Going to View the Launch  (Read 64546 times)

Offline wjbarnett

Antares A-One Going to View the Launch
« on: 03/31/2013 01:31 pm »
I'm going to be in Baltimore for a convention the week of April 15, so hoping to make it down to Wallops for this launch. Yes, a 3 hour drive, but I'm excited... 

Any and all recommended viewing locations please, plus maybe even suggestions for a NSF meetup... 
Jack

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 28
Re: Antares A-One Going to View the Launch
« Reply #1 on: 03/31/2013 01:52 pm »
As good a place as any to repost my Google map of Wallops landmarks. 

http://goo.gl/maps/7SDDv

Consider this a beta / work-in-progress.  Always happy to accept corrections and comments, particularly after we begin Antares flights and have a better sense of road closures and workable viewing sites.

Offline effectivebits

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: 03/31/2013 02:44 pm »
I'm wondering about parking at Tom's Cove and hiking 3 miles to the end of the beach.  Is that a possibility for the launch?

JSMJR - where did you get that purple line from?  Is that a zone of avoidance?  It appears to include some of the potential viewing spots like Arbuckle Neck and Wisharts.

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #3 on: 03/31/2013 02:51 pm »
JSMJR - where did you get that purple line from?  Is that a zone of avoidance?  It appears to include some of the potential viewing spots like Arbuckle Neck and Wisharts.

The blue line is the Marine Danger Zone under 33 CFR § 334.130.  I don't think it affects anything on land:  "When warning signals are displayed, all persons and vessels in the danger zone, except vessels entering or departing Chincoteague Inlet, shall leave the zone promptly by the shortest possible route and shall remain outside the zone until allowed by a patrol boat to enter or the dangers signal has been discontinued. Vessels entering or departing Chincoteague Inlet shall take the shortest passage possible through the danger zone upon display of the danger signal." 

Offline rickl

• Pennsylvania, USA
  • Liked: 146
  • Likes Given: 150
« Reply #4 on: 03/31/2013 02:57 pm »
Is there any information about viewing for those of us who are not going to Wallops?  I live in southeastern Pennsylvania, about 150 miles from Wallops as the crow flies. 

I've seen two nighttime Shuttle launches from my location (while it was still under powered flight), and I saw the five sounding rockets that were launched from Wallops a while back.  I'm thinking that this could be the best view I've ever had of a space launch.  Will it be bright enough for me to see in the daytime?
The Space Age is just starting to get interesting.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4660
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #5 on: 03/31/2013 09:12 pm »
Is there any information about viewing for those of us who are not going to Wallops?  I live in southeastern Pennsylvania, about 150 miles from Wallops as the crow flies. 

I've seen two nighttime Shuttle launches from my location (while it was still under powered flight), and I saw the five sounding rockets that were launched from Wallops a while back.  I'm thinking that this could be the best view I've ever had of a space launch.  Will it be bright enough for me to see in the daytime?
Remember Antares will travel along descending node of 51.6 inclination for all Antares flights to ISS. KSC/CCAFS travel along ascending node of 51.6 inclination for all flights to ISS  Yeah, goto the East coast of North America below Wallops Island and look between SSE and SE out to sea. You can also view it as far as the Eastern most point of South America but at that point you may need something better than your eyes to see it well. Of course, I have never seen a launch fly out of WFF on a descending node of 51.6 inclination.

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #6 on: 03/31/2013 10:50 pm »
For April 17, 3pm local time, here are your photographer's ephemerii for viewing Pad 0-A from Arbuckle Neck Road (looking 1.7 miles ESE) and the sand spit by Tom's Cove (looking 6 miles WSW).  The sun could be a significant problem for the latter.

« Last Edit: 03/31/2013 10:51 pm by jsmjr »

Offline rickl

• Pennsylvania, USA
  • Liked: 146
  • Likes Given: 150
« Reply #7 on: 03/31/2013 11:45 pm »

Remember Antares will travel along descending node of 51.6 inclination for all Antares flights to ISS. KSC/CCAFS travel along ascending node of 51.6 inclination for all flights to ISS.

Oh.  Thanks.  I had assumed that Antares would take the same path as Shuttle and Dragon, but I guess that would be too close to the coast.  So Antares will be heading almost directly away from me.  Well, it was a nice thought while it lasted.   :)
The Space Age is just starting to get interesting.

Offline CardBoardBoxProcessor

• Liked: 176
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: 04/01/2013 12:56 am »
Me and my father have been quite puzzled as to the best locations for this event. Would north or South of the pad be the best bet? I am not sure what 51.6 degrees node means  at all :D

Offline wjbarnett

« Reply #9 on: 04/01/2013 01:01 am »
Me and my father have been quite puzzled as to the best locations for this event. Would north or South of the pad be the best bet? I am not sure what 51.6 degrees node means  at all :D
"descending node" means the ISS and therefore also Antares will be heading Southeast for an ISS rendezvous. While this is a Flight Test only, it is still the path (launch azimuth) we understand the initial flight will take off from the launch pad. 
Jack

« Reply #10 on: 04/01/2013 01:06 am »
Hmm. So I would imagine some where south of the launch site would be slightly more entertaining. Not that it makes much difference. I plan to be as close as possible and southeast will look like an immobile dot from anywhere near by the launch site I would imagine. Perhaps later launches I will go for more arcing views.

Thanks.

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #11 on: 04/01/2013 01:25 am »
The likely launch azimuth is essentially perpendicular to the local coastline. Being southerly of the pad helps some. But because Tom's Cove juts out to sea NE of the pad, it offers a nice arcing view -- just somewhat into the afternoon sun for early Spring. For my money, I would just try to be as close to lift off as possible -- somewhere with a direct line of sight to the pad, as the first few seconds are always the most visually impressive.

If anyone stumbles upon particularly good sites, please post to let us know.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 04/01/2013 01:44 am »
Hmm. So I would imagine some where south of the launch site would be slightly more entertaining. Not that it makes much difference. I plan to be as close as possible and southeast will look like an immobile dot from anywhere near by the launch site I would imagine. Perhaps later launches I will go for more arcing views.

Thanks.
Bermuda and surrounding area in lower North Atlantic looking almost North to South yet slightly to the West, will have the best vantage point until the eastern most point of South America when looking for first stage. For 2nd stage Western coastline and Southern coastline of South Africa is considered best with viewing aids.

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #13 on: 04/02/2013 05:34 pm »
Don't be completely sure all of those land areas will be open for launch. Some of those roads come within 1.6 miles of the pad. For this untested, powerful rocket, there is a good chance they will put road blocks in place and ask some locals to move. I have not heard anything official yet but have tried to find out some information myself.

That's what I'm wondering about.  Any idea if they'll post what road restrictions will be in place ahead of time?

The official viewing location at the visitor's center is 7.5 miles away.  Looking at the area, it seems one should be able to get much closer on local roads.  Even somewhere like Persimmon Point (intersection of 679 and 762) is ~3.6 mi, and looks to have some houses in the area.  Kegotank Elementary School is only 4.3 mi away...and while even if you can't enter the school property, the area around it certainly must be open.

Anyone familiar with the area that can comment?  Also anyone have an idea how early one should get to their spot?  I've been to a few shuttle and cape launches, but no idea about this area.
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline chrisking0997

• NASA Langley
  • Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 317
« Reply #14 on: 04/02/2013 06:25 pm »
its too bad the lighthouse is closed for maintenance...got a great view of the pads from there in September.

Im guessing the south ends of Assateague and Chincoteague would be good viewing, or the bridge road between the two.  Ill be up there this weekend (curse you Orbital for delaying :) ), if I happen upon a good spot Ill post it
Tried to tell you, we did.  Listen, you did not.  Now, screwed we all are.

Offline block51

• Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: 04/02/2013 06:42 pm »
From a friend in NASA ground safety: Launch danger area is a circle centred on the pad with a radius of 8500 feet.

Arbuckle should be open for viewing!

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #16 on: 04/02/2013 11:45 pm »
8500', wow talk about right up close and personal!!! Time to beg the wife for permission for a road trip ...
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline block51

« Reply #17 on: 04/08/2013 08:26 pm »
I was speaking with some other people today and they seemed to think it may be unlikely that Arbuckle will be open on Launch day. I would hate for anyone to drive a few hours thinking they are definitely going to be able to get 8.5 kft away from the launch then not have that happen...

That being said, there are still plenty of places you could view the launch from. The southernmost tip of Chincoteague could be a decent view, as well as Assateague beach.

I'll certainly be trying for Arbuckle though.

Offline chrisking0997

• NASA Langley
« Reply #18 on: 04/09/2013 05:33 pm »
there are no direct pad views that I could find on Chincoteague Island as the northern part of Wallops Island looks to be tree covered, so if youre looking for that you would have to go to Assateague.  I was able to see the pad from Little Toms Cove (pony pen location) and eastward to the beach.

Offline effectivebits

« Reply #19 on: 04/09/2013 06:56 pm »
Chris,

Do you need to hike to the end of the beach (looks to be about 3 miles) or can you see the launch from the parking area?

Thanks

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #20 on: 04/09/2013 07:33 pm »
Chris,

Do you need to hike to the end of the beach (looks to be about 3 miles) or can you see the launch from the parking area?

Thanks

I wasn't there on the clearest of days -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsmjr/6181845197/in/set-72157627745593570 -- but given the distance I suspect that brush and grass growing on Toms Cove Hook would obscure Pad 0A from the parking lots.  (Of course you could see the LV after liftoff on a clear day.)  It's a pretty good hike down to Fishing Point, and we're already in the season when off-road vehicles are prohibited on much of the southerly beach.  (Dogs too, FYI.) 

Note also that Hurricane Sandy did a number on the Seashore and Refuge, and we're dealing with the sequestration too, so I would definitely call and check local conditions.  Here's a Flickr set of the damage:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/assateaguenps/sets/72157631953195426/  The website has the following notes:

Virginia District - Beach Parking Update

Due to Hurricane Sandy and the March 6 storm, there is limited parking in the Virginia District. As of 4/4/13 parking lot 1 and part of parking lot 2 are open. All parking lots are expected to be open by Memorial Day weekend.

Assateague Island National Seashore Sequestration Update

As of 3/1/13 both the MD & VA Districts are open. The Assateague Island Visitor Center is open daily 9am-5pm. The Toms Cove Visitor Center is open daily 9am-4pm.

Offline chrisking0997

• NASA Langley
« Reply #21 on: 04/10/2013 04:46 pm »
I recall that I was able to see the pad from the circle at the parking lot, but as you move south from the lot the view does become obscured.

Sandy did a number on the cove and beach.  We took a boat ride on sunday and it was very different from what I saw back in september as well as what is currently on GoogleMaps (which is significantly behind the times as it does not show the new viaduct into town).

As for entry to the park, I did not notice any restrictions due to sequestration but it was the weekend.  I agree a quick call would not hurt

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
  • Virginia is for (space) lovers
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #22 on: 04/10/2013 07:59 pm »
The ABSOLUTELY IDEAL location would the SE tip of Toms Cove Hook, past the "Fish Factory Ruins" and South of the old USCG station.

Unfortunately, I saw a Range Safety presentation that implied that the entire Toms Cove Hook was in the stay-out zone for launch...
ARS LONGA, VITA BREVIS...

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #23 on: 04/10/2013 09:31 pm »
Unfortunately, I saw a Range Safety presentation that implied that the entire Toms Cove Hook was in the stay-out zone for launch...

Care to elaborate?  Can't get enough quality info on this issue.

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #24 on: 04/10/2013 11:16 pm »
I'm afraid I can't; it was one vugraph in a long presentation, but it showed a straight line, running maybe 130-310 degrees true (a direction that would be perpendicular to the shoreline at the pad?) cutting across maybe the middle of Toms Cove with the label "evacuated for liftoff" or something like that.

I may find out more Thursday during the Dress Rehearsal.
« Last Edit: 04/10/2013 11:16 pm by antonioe »

Offline Retired Downrange

• Turks & Caicos Islands
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #25 on: 04/11/2013 12:36 am »
Not sure if this is correct thread to ask about down range viewing. Has anybody seen a plot of areas where it may be visible from the islands. I am in the Turks and Caicos (south end of the Bahamas) and am wondering if it may be seen from here as it ascends. Thanks for any clues where I might find an answer to this question.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
« Reply #26 on: 04/11/2013 04:12 pm »
Not sure if this is correct thread to ask about down range viewing. Has anybody seen a plot of areas where it may be visible from the islands. I am in the Turks and Caicos (south end of the Bahamas) and am wondering if it may be seen from here as it ascends. Thanks for any clues where I might find an answer to this question.

It looks like the closest approach of the flight path will be about 700-800 miles northeast of Turks and Caicos.

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #27 on: 04/11/2013 06:06 pm »
I wonder if you can extrapolate that from THIS figure.  Hmmm... now that I look at it, the circles become straight lines... no, I think you're out of luck...
« Last Edit: 04/11/2013 06:07 pm by antonioe »

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #28 on: 04/11/2013 06:16 pm »
Yeah... I just asked Carlos Niederstarser (among other things our STK guru) to take a look... too far South of the trajectory...

On the other hand, THE place to be would be Bermuda... 60 degrees elevation, less than 100 miles lateral distance... you would be able to see from stage 1 MECO all the way through Stage 2 burnout...

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #29 on: 04/11/2013 07:05 pm »
Hmmm... I'm in the 5 degree zone, Thanks for the pleasant surprise, wonder if I can get wifi on top of Mt. Wachusett.

So your saying the best seats are in Bermuda... that I might be able to sell to the other half ;)
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

• Turks & Caicos Islands
« Reply #30 on: 04/11/2013 07:06 pm »
Thank you all for the answers, much appreciated.

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #31 on: 04/11/2013 07:09 pm »
On the other hand, THE place to be would be Bermuda... 60 degrees elevation, less than 100 miles lateral distance... you would be able to see from stage 1 MECO all the way through Stage 2 burnout...

Which explains: http://www.nasa.gov/centers/wallops/news/Bermuda.html

Bermuda Tracking Site Provides Big Boost for Wallops Expendable Launch Vehicle Operations

Following an agreement signed between NASA and Bermuda in early March 2012, range officials at NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility have recently completed the successful deployment and check-out of a temporary mobile tracking station on Cooper’s Island, Bermuda.

The successful deployment, completed in August, means NASA’s only launch range now offers the full compliment of range assets for expendable launch vehicle operations.

Along with cost savings, perhaps the biggest impact lies in range scheduling. “Owning, deploying, and controlling our own assets means control over scheduling,” said Steven Kremer, NASA Wallops deputy range manager. “It gives us higher confidence in promising range availability to our customers when they come to Wallops for services. In addition, our services offered from Bermuda will benefit other customers who launch from other ranges such as the United States Air Force’s Eastern Range in Florida.”

NASA’s mobile tracking station in Bermuda provides telemetry, radar, and command and control services. It will support the launch of rockets carrying supplies to the International Space Station or satellites to low-Earth orbit. During a typical ELV launch operation, about 10 range personnel will deploy to Bermuda to configure the mobile tracking station, conduct the operation, and then pack the systems for shipment back to Wallops.

Bermuda has been a long-time partner of NASA in supporting space exploration. The British territory hosted a radar tracking station from the Mercury Project in the early 1960s through most of the Space Shuttle Program.

The Wallops Range provides the operational environment required to ensure safe and successful flight operations for rockets, missiles, aircraft, unmanned aerial systems and a variety of other mission types essential to the scientific, military and commercial use of space.

For more information on the Wallops Range, see:
http://sites.wff.nasa.gov/code840/
« Last Edit: 04/11/2013 07:10 pm by jsmjr »

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #32 on: 04/11/2013 09:39 pm »
The Notice to Mariners has been disseminated for the Antares One launch.

April 11, 2013
Notice to Mariners: Wallops Rocket Launch

What: ANTARES 1 for NASA/ORBITAL RESUPPLY TO STATION EFFORTS
When: April 17 1630 -2030 (Scheduled Operation Day)
April 18 1630 -2030 (Back Up Day)
April 19 1630 -2030 (Back Up Day)
April 20 1630 -2030 (Back Up Day)
April 21 1630 -2030 (Back Up Day)
Communications: “Wallops Plot” on marine channel 12.
Marine channel 22 is back up.

Contact Wallops Plot when traveling in the area.
Mission updates and completion will be noted on the Wallops launch status line at 757-824-2050. The Army Corp Engineers Danger Zone will be in effect for all launch attempts per 33CFR(Code of Federal Regulations) Part 334. Fines and arrest authority are permissible by U.S. Coast Guard and Virginia Marine Police.
Thank you for your assistance and support.

The NOTMAR identifies three "PSSA" areas by coordinate and map, which extend hundreds of miles down range, none of which precisely coincide with the Corps of Engineers permanent danger zone under 33 CFR 334.130.  See attachment.  I've updated my Google map for the near-shore PSSA1, which, by the way, completely covers Toms Cove Hook, Toms Cove Visitors Center, and the associated parking lots. 
« Last Edit: 04/11/2013 09:44 pm by jsmjr »

Offline Apollo-phill

• UK
  • Liked: 245
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #33 on: 04/11/2013 09:44 pm »

Which explains: http://www.nasa.gov/centers/wallops/news/Bermuda.html

Bermuda Tracking Site Provides Big Boost for Wallops Expendable Launch Vehicle Operations

Following an agreement signed between NASA and Bermuda in early March 2012, range officials at NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility have recently completed the successful deployment and check-out of a temporary mobile tracking station on Cooper’s Island, Bermuda.

The successful deployment, completed in August, means NASA’s only launch range now offers the full compliment of range assets for expendable launch vehicle operations.

Along with cost savings, perhaps the biggest impact lies in range scheduling. “Owning, deploying, and controlling our own assets means control over scheduling,” said Steven Kremer, NASA Wallops deputy range manager. “It gives us higher confidence in promising range availability to our customers when they come to Wallops for services. In addition, our services offered from Bermuda will benefit other customers who launch from other ranges such as the United States Air Force’s Eastern Range in Florida.”

NASA’s mobile tracking station in Bermuda provides telemetry, radar, and command and control services. It will support the launch of rockets carrying supplies to the International Space Station or satellites to low-Earth orbit. During a typical ELV launch operation, about 10 range personnel will deploy to Bermuda to configure the mobile tracking station, conduct the operation, and then pack the systems for shipment back to Wallops.

Bermuda has been a long-time partner of NASA in supporting space exploration. The British territory hosted a radar tracking station from the Mercury Project in the early 1960s through most of the Space Shuttle Program.

The Wallops Range provides the operational environment required to ensure safe and successful flight operations for rockets, missiles, aircraft, unmanned aerial systems and a variety of other mission types essential to the scientific, military and commercial use of space.

For more information on the Wallops Range, see:
http://sites.wff.nasa.gov/code840/

The image of Bermuda tracking station is a "mirror image" - wants flipping around.

Phill

Offline neoforce

• Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #34 on: 04/12/2013 04:16 pm »
I wonder if you can extrapolate that from THIS figure.  Hmmm... now that I look at it, the circles become straight lines... no, I think you're out of luck...

Sorry if this is obvious, I'm mostly a lurker here...  Does that drawing mean that if you have a low enough view to the horizon in the locations listed you might be able to see the launch? 

Southern tip of Maine seems pretty far away to see anything.

Offline chrisking0997

• NASA Langley
« Reply #35 on: 04/12/2013 05:32 pm »
The Notice to Mariners has been disseminated for the Antares One launch.

April 11, 2013
Notice to Mariners: Wallops Rocket Launch

What: ANTARES 1 for NASA/ORBITAL RESUPPLY TO STATION EFFORTS
When: April 17 1630 -2030 (Scheduled Operation Day)
April 18 1630 -2030 (Back Up Day)
April 19 1630 -2030 (Back Up Day)
April 20 1630 -2030 (Back Up Day)
April 21 1630 -2030 (Back Up Day)
Communications: “Wallops Plot” on marine channel 12.
Marine channel 22 is back up.

Contact Wallops Plot when traveling in the area.
Mission updates and completion will be noted on the Wallops launch status line at 757-824-2050. The Army Corp Engineers Danger Zone will be in effect for all launch attempts per 33CFR(Code of Federal Regulations) Part 334. Fines and arrest authority are permissible by U.S. Coast Guard and Virginia Marine Police.
Thank you for your assistance and support.

The NOTMAR identifies three "PSSA" areas by coordinate and map, which extend hundreds of miles down range, none of which precisely coincide with the Corps of Engineers permanent danger zone under 33 CFR 334.130.  See attachment.  I've updated my Google map for the near-shore PSSA1, which, by the way, completely covers Toms Cove Hook, Toms Cove Visitors Center, and the associated parking lots. 

Im a n00b when it comes to understanding all these warnings/notices....does that mean that Assateague Island is basically out as a viewing location due to the PSSA?

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #36 on: 04/12/2013 05:42 pm »

Sorry if this is obvious, I'm mostly a lurker here...  Does that drawing mean that if you have a low enough view to the horizon in the locations listed you might be able to see the launch? 

Yes, theoretically, with binoculars or telescope, and if you could find a hilltop with an unobstructed view. If it were a night launch the bright trail would be a lot easier to see from a distance, but since this will be a daytime launch it's unlikely that anyone in southern Maine is actually going to see it.

Offline neoforce

« Reply #37 on: 04/12/2013 06:01 pm »

Yes, theoretically, with binoculars or telescope, and if you could find a hilltop with an unobstructed view. If it were a night launch the bright trail would be a lot easier to see from a distance, but since this will be a daytime launch it's unlikely that anyone in southern Maine is actually going to see it.

How about the Jersey shore?  What are the odds of viewing something from there?  Turns out I might be close to there on Wed.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #38 on: 04/12/2013 06:27 pm »

How about the Jersey shore?  What are the odds of viewing something from there?  Turns out I might be close to there on Wed.

Odds are good if you bring binocs and get right on the water's edge with unobstructed view south/southeast.

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #39 on: 04/14/2013 12:45 pm »
From the US FWS:

@jsmjr    09 Apr
Dear @ChincoteagueNWR: What's status for viewing of @OrbitalSciences #Antares launch from @NASA_Wallops 4/17? Parking? Facilities? Access?

@ChincoteagueNWR   12 Apr
@jsmjr All systems are go for viewing #Antares launch from recreational beach. Parking is limited so come early. :O)

(Emphasis added)
« Last Edit: 04/14/2013 12:50 pm by jsmjr »

Offline effectivebits

« Reply #40 on: 04/15/2013 02:56 am »
So here's the million dollar question... I don't want to camp out on Arbuckle Neck just to get kicked out right before the launch by the local PD or a homeowner.  Would it be better to wait it out on the beach?

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #41 on: 04/15/2013 11:26 am »
I know a bunch of people are going to Wright's restaurant, and the end of Wright road off Atlantic (second left after "the" intersection of Atlantic and Chicoteage) It WILL be crowded, though...

Offline block51

« Reply #42 on: 04/15/2013 12:29 pm »
So here's the million dollar question... I don't want to camp out on Arbuckle Neck just to get kicked out right before the launch by the local PD or a homeowner.  Would it be better to wait it out on the beach?

That's a good question. I have heard rumors (mind you, this is the Eastern Shore and rumors spread quickly and aren't 100% true) that the land owner wants to limit the number of people down there as last time there was a orbital (vs. suborbital, though it was an OSC launch too...) launch a bunch of people ended up getting stuck in this field and tearing them up trying to get out.

I have a good fall-back point at a friend's house if I can't get down Arbuckle. Clear line of sight to the pad, though about 3.5 miles away.

The beach would be a decent place to watch from, as would the boat landing at Queen's sound, though the boat landing is about 8 miles away (http://goo.gl/maps/hjQeO from jsmjr's map).

Offline block51

« Reply #43 on: 04/15/2013 12:52 pm »
Just relayed to me by a friend who has contacts with the VA DPS (Virginia Department of Public Safety): Arbuckle will be open, however they will be limiting the amount of people down there to 15 cars. The Sheriff's office will be blocking the road and limiting access.

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #44 on: 04/15/2013 12:58 pm »
Anyone care to comment on the digital cellular coverage in the area?  What are the best providers?  What level of signal (3G, 4G, LTE) is offered?  Any experience with outages during large-crowd scenarios?

Offline Freddie

• Liked: 1
« Reply #45 on: 04/15/2013 01:19 pm »
Anyone care to comment on the digital cellular coverage in the area?  What are the best providers?  What level of signal (3G, 4G, LTE) is offered?  Any experience with outages during large-crowd scenarios?

Verizon Wireless (VZW) works well for me. 

Please view the VZW coverage map at http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorController?requesttype=NEWREQUEST&zip=23337&city=WallopsIsland&state=VA for level of signal as it varies depending upon the actual geographical location. 

Pony penning in July on Chincoteague has typically in the past been the largest local area crowd event, but I have not experienced any outages during that time.

Thank you!

Offline block51

« Reply #46 on: 04/15/2013 01:26 pm »
Verizon: 3G is pretty good across the area and 4G is good too if you are close to towers. That being said, there are definitely places were you won't really have data coverage. I'm sure with lots of people it will only get much much worse. It can be quite good somewhere and then you drive 1/4 of a mile and you don't have data connectivity and that's on a good day.

Offline block51

« Reply #47 on: 04/15/2013 03:14 pm »
Quote from: Captain's Cove Golf & Yacht Club
Excitement in the Cove is building in anticipation of the Orbital Antares rocket launch scheduled for 5 p.m. Wednesday – and one of the best views is right at our own Marina Club veranda! To celebrate the launch, we’re opening our doors early at 4 p.m. As usual, our Pizza & Wing night specials as well as “Out Of This World” Nachos and “3-2-1 Blast-Off” Burger (it’s got a kick!) are available. And for our guests interested in liquid libations, the drink special of the night will be “Rocket Fuel” (that’s got a kick, too!) If the launch gets scrubbed? No worries, we’ll scrub our event until the day the Antares takes off.

Don't get too excited... it's an ok restaurant with ok prices, but the beer is cold and plentiful. Could be a decent place to view the launch from. Good cell phone data coverage and open wifi. I'll probably view some launches from there in the future. I want to be closer for the first one!

Come to think of it, if we get another launch during the middle of the day on the weekend I can sit in / by the pool and tiki bar during a launch (pool is for members only alas)! Definitely going to have to watch some launches from there later on.

http://goo.gl/maps/khiuV (jsmjr's map)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Captains-Cove-Golf-Yacht-Club/128471250516999 (CCG&YC FB page)

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #48 on: 04/15/2013 03:42 pm »
Quote from: Captain's Cove Golf & Yacht Club
Excitement in the Cove is building in anticipation of the Orbital Antares rocket launch scheduled for 5 p.m. Wednesday – and one of the best views is right at our own Marina Club veranda! To celebrate the launch, we’re opening our doors early at 4 p.m. As usual, our Pizza & Wing night specials as well as “Out Of This World” Nachos and “3-2-1 Blast-Off” Burger (it’s got a kick!) are available. And for our guests interested in liquid libations, the drink special of the night will be “Rocket Fuel” (that’s got a kick, too!) If the launch gets s****ed? No worries, we’ll s**** our event until the day the Antares takes off.

Stop looking, we've found the perfect viewing location.  On top of the water tower behind Captain's Cove Marina Club.

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #49 on: 04/15/2013 04:02 pm »
From the US FWS:

@jsmjr    09 Apr
Dear @ChincoteagueNWR: What's status for viewing of @OrbitalSciences #Antares launch from @NASA_Wallops 4/17? Parking? Facilities? Access?

@ChincoteagueNWR   12 Apr
@jsmjr All systems are go for viewing #Antares launch from recreational beach. Parking is limited so come early. :O)

(Emphasis added)

Update: 

@ChincoteagueNWR  14 Apr
@jsmjr, This map should help. Toms Cove Hook is closed. Both Visitor Centers will close at 4 pm. pic.twitter.com/gS3E14LBq7

Offline block51

« Reply #50 on: 04/15/2013 04:51 pm »
That club appears to be very very far away (12 miles), further than Chincoteague itself.

It most definitely is far away. Just a possible option.

Offline smith5se

« Reply #51 on: 04/15/2013 05:45 pm »
Not sure where I'll be viewing from yet, but I will be there :-)
My views are mine, and mine alone and DO NOT reflect that of my employer nor my place of employment.

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
« Reply #52 on: 04/16/2013 01:37 am »
Just relayed to me by a friend who has contacts with the VA DPS (Virginia Department of Public Safety): Arbuckle will be open, however they will be limiting the amount of people down there to 15 cars. The Sheriff's office will be blocking the road and limiting access.

What about foot traffic?  Bring the mud boots...
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline block51

« Reply #53 on: 04/16/2013 02:18 am »
What about foot traffic?  Bring the mud boots...

I'm not sure actually... I hadn't thought about that. Depending on where they put the road block / check point at, it could be a decent walk though. A mile or mile plus. I'll see what I can find out.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8582
  • Likes Given: 7675
« Reply #54 on: 04/16/2013 03:43 am »
Aerial Views of Antares on Pad 0A

Published on Apr 15, 2013
Aerial views of Orbital's Antares rocket on Pad 0A at the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport on Wallops Island, Virginia. Orbital developed the medium-class Antares launch vehicle to boost its Cygnus spacecraft into orbit to deliver cargo to the international space station under an agreement with NASA. In addition to the space station cargo missions, Antares is designed to launch payloads into a variety of low inclination low-Earth and sun synchronous orbits and interplanetary trajectories

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #55 on: 04/16/2013 11:45 am »
As if I didn't have enough to do over the next couple of days, I'm going to bring my new portable (QRP) HF rig to Wallops to try to make a few "special event" contacts tonight (Tuesday) and possibly Wednesday.

After a few years of inactivity, I got myself the Elecraft KX3 (still have to make my first contact with it - this QRP stuff is new to me) so I think this could be an auspicious occasion.

If there are any hams out there, I will try to call CQ in the inevitable 20M band... unfortunately, the "official" QRP calling frequency, 14.285MHz, has been "hijacked" by a high-power net that speaks, I think, greek ( no offense to any of my greek friends.)

No promises, but I'll try around 10pm EDT tonight.

73 de KA1LLM
« Last Edit: 04/16/2013 11:45 am by antonioe »

Offline Freddie

• Liked: 1
« Reply #56 on: 04/16/2013 01:35 pm »
For those who will be in the Washington, D.C. area at the time of launch, Orbital Sciences has released an excellent series of photos showing how one can view the launch from areas in Washington.

To see the photos, please click on this weblink - http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?utm_content=api&utm_source=t.co&pid=43840&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=srs.gs-twitter.

Godspeed.

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #57 on: 04/16/2013 07:02 pm »
SCORE! Here's your KML file for the launch, courtesy of NASA.

Note, the website (http://www.nasa.gov/centers/wallops/missions/antares.html) also provides the following regarding "official" viewing sites:

For those living in or visiting the local area, there are two primary viewing locations for Wallops launches. The first is the Wallops Visitors Center located along Virginia Highway 175. Visitors are advised to arrive early as parking is limited.http://sites.wff.nasa.gov/wvc/.

The second site is the beach on Assateague Island (Virginia-side). Capacity is based on a number of conditions, such as time of year and state of the beach.http://www.fws.gov/northeast/chinco/.

Finally, visitors to the area may also inquire with local tourism officials on alternate viewing locations as well as any local business events tied into Wallops launch operations.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #58 on: 04/16/2013 07:20 pm »
Apparently this might help viewing:

http://sites.wff.nasa.gov/multimedia/docs/wffruh.pdf

"On page 24 of 67 there is a good diagram showing the buildings (Y-15, referred in the Orbital launch thread is clearly there!) "
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline wolfpack

• Wake Forest, NC
  • Liked: 159
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #59 on: 04/16/2013 07:25 pm »

Nice! Any easy way to mark staging on that track?

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #60 on: 04/17/2013 01:31 am »
I just got this... not sure how it works... I think the first color is stage 1, the next stage 2, the third the post-burnout maneuvers (payload sep, C/CAM)

ALso, some views from points of interest (make sure 3-D buildings are on)

Courtesy Carlos Niederstraser, Orbital
« Last Edit: 04/17/2013 01:35 am by antonioe »

• Turks & Caicos Islands
« Reply #61 on: 04/17/2013 02:24 am »
As if I didn't have enough to do over the next couple of days, I'm going to bring my new portable (QRP) HF rig to Wallops ......

If there are any hams out there, I will try to call CQ in the inevitable 20M band... unfortunately, the "official" QRP calling frequency, 14.285MHz, ......

No promises, but I'll try around 10pm EDT tonight.

73 de KA1LLM

I listened and put out a couple of calls.

I "imagined" that I faintly heard a "Lima Mike Mike" once...

My call is VP5DB

Perhaps some other time...

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #62 on: 04/17/2013 11:02 am »
Thanks, OM.  As I was setting up my rig, I realized I had left at home a critical piece: a PL-259 (balun, feed line) to BNC (the KX-3 connector) adaptor... so I tried to rig a simple long line with no balun, and thanks to the KX-3's amazing built-in tuner I was able to get the SWR around 1.7 at 14.285MHz (the greeks were't on last night, but propagation did not seem too good...) but I'm afraid the resulting radiation efficiency was not too good - and I was using 10W.

I don't think I can find an adaptor today, but if I do I will try again tonight.

Offline neoforce

« Reply #63 on: 04/17/2013 12:30 pm »

I'm a total newbie, have no clue how to use a KML file and limited time today.  I'm near Sandy Hook, NJ today and trying to decide if its worth travel to the beach or the Atlantic Highlands to see if I can spot anything.  (I don't even have binoculars with me.) 

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #64 on: 04/17/2013 12:45 pm »

I'm a total newbie, have no clue how to use a KML file and limited time today.  I'm near Sandy Hook, NJ today and trying to decide if its worth travel to the beach or the Atlantic Highlands to see if I can spot anything.  (I don't even have binoculars with me.) 

Among the goodies included in Antonio's KMZ file (which improves on NASA's) are pre-set views from mid-Atlantic locations other than those published by SpaceRef.  Here's one from the Steel Pier in Atlantic City. 

EDIT:  Also, based on the annotated views released by Orbital, I believe the colors have the following meanings:  (1) purple = first stage to engine cut off at +230 seconds (2) blue = coast to second stage ignition at +328 seconds.  (Fairing sep occurs just before ignition.)  The transition from red to yellow is not noted on any DC area views, but can be seen, e.g., from AC.  I'm guessing it's second stage engine burn out at around +480 seconds?
« Last Edit: 04/17/2013 01:07 pm by jsmjr »

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8555
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #65 on: 04/17/2013 02:57 pm »
Orbital Sciences‏@OrbitalSciences
Anticipated view of the #Antares launch from the Washington Monument: pic.twitter.com/0K8oyjWZLQ
Jacques :-)

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: 04/17/2013 02:57 pm »
Here's the anticipated view of the #Antares launch from the U.S. Air Force Memorial: pic.twitter.com/mwemFXE5e0

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: 04/17/2013 02:58 pm »
Anticipated view from the Hall of the States for the #Antares launch: pic.twitter.com/YrQRPAHQ4s

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: 04/17/2013 02:59 pm »
The #Antares launch window opens tmrw at 5pm EDT. Anticipated view from the Lincoln Memorial http://twitter.com/OrbitalSciences/status/324358169528770561/photo/1pic.twitter.com/AuViG1nBcH  pic.twitter.com/STv6Z4Aqpi

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: 04/17/2013 03:00 pm »
You'll also get a great view of the #Antares launch from the Udvar-Hazy observation tower: pic.twitter.com/hM894g3Ouy

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 164
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #70 on: 04/17/2013 05:19 pm »
I'm driving down to Assateague now. Hope to find space in the parking lot at the beach. I'll be the one wearing a NASA Wallops jacket!

Hoping for good launch weather!

David
Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #71 on: 04/17/2013 05:28 pm »
Is this launch performing a dog-leg maneuver? If not - why does it look like the launch trajectory is curving off?

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
« Reply #72 on: 04/17/2013 05:31 pm »
As of about 40 minutes ago, Arbuckle Neck Rd was open and rather empty (about 5 cars).
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #73 on: 04/17/2013 06:19 pm »
Great news about the open access and weather (from the launch thread).  Unfortunately, things are getting cloudier here in DC.   :-[

Offline spacedog71

• Likes Given: 3
« Reply #74 on: 04/17/2013 07:15 pm »
sitting in my car at wallops visitor center. grabbed a poster and a free picnic lunch; waiting for the judgement call @3:30 to find out whether i'm getting all of my gear out of the trunk, or just walking the zoom down for some shots of the launch pad while i eats mah sammich.

« Reply #75 on: 04/17/2013 10:47 pm »
I am mad but I picked a good hotel. a bunch of orbital people in rich suits having a meeting in the breakfast area.

and where I was to watch it a bunch of pad ops people where all around me. One with a radio. Thanks guy with the AJ-26 test team shirt and green hat. That quick abort call let us get out of the traffic quickly.

I was at the end of arbuckle road.
« Last Edit: 04/18/2013 03:14 am by CardBoardBoxProcessor »

Offline wjbarnett

« Reply #76 on: 04/18/2013 02:05 am »
As of about 40 minutes ago, Arbuckle Neck Rd was open and rather empty (about 5 cars).
Good to know. Actually, today, I was very nearly there, when the scrub was called (yes, I was running quite late). I just reached the small US Post Office on Atlantic Rd. I stopped to get a quick pic from there (the pad is just visible around a cluster of trees) and then headed back to Baltimore in time for dinner and the evening awards ceremony at the conventions. Six hour round trip. Not sure yet about doing it again on Friday ...
« Last Edit: 04/18/2013 02:48 am by wjbarnett »
Jack

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #77 on: 04/18/2013 08:06 pm »
I'll check tomorrow morning but if a Friday launch looks possible I'll be driving down to watch. Good view from Arbuckle Neck Rd? It looks good on the map, I might aim for there.

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #78 on: 04/18/2013 10:21 pm »
I'll check tomorrow morning but if a Friday launch looks possible I'll be driving down to watch. Good view from Arbuckle Neck Rd? It looks good on the map, I might aim for there.

With the new attempt on Saturday, will be interesting to see how crowded our favorite street gets, and whether they have to shut it down.

Offline wjbarnett

« Reply #79 on: 04/18/2013 11:33 pm »
I've got to head back home, so I'll miss the Saturday launch attempt. Good luck to everyone!
Jack

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #80 on: 04/19/2013 12:39 am »
... picked a good hotel. a bunch of orbital people in rich suits having a meeting in the breakfast area.

"Orbital" and "rich suits" don't go together... except for J.R. Thompson who, I swear, wears his dark blue suit to the shower...

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #81 on: 04/19/2013 01:02 am »

I listened and put out a couple of calls.

I "imagined" that I faintly heard a "Lima Mike Mike" once...

My call is VP5DB

Perhaps some other time...

Got home to spend the night between Thursday and Friday in my own bed.  Picked up a PL-259 to BNC adaptor (the REAL reason I came home...) Will try again Friday night, at 14.285 MHz or, if the greek net is there, a bit above it.  I will be looking out for VP5DB.

de KA1LLM

Offline wolfpack

• Wake Forest, NC
« Reply #82 on: 04/19/2013 05:26 pm »
With the new attempt on Saturday, will be interesting to see how crowded our favorite street gets, and whether they have to shut it down.

How far down the road can you get? All the way to the end? I will be coming for tomorrow's attempt, probably arriving 4:30pm.

Offline effectivebits

« Reply #83 on: 04/19/2013 05:49 pm »

How far down the road can you get? All the way to the end? I will be coming for tomorrow's attempt, probably arriving 4:30pm.

You can drive all the way to the end of Arbuckle Neck, but on Wednesday there was a police officer on site to make sure nobody was blocking the road.  Hence, if you get there late you might need to park pretty far away from the end and walk.  Try to get there by 3 if the launch is at 5.  Once you get to the end, there is a marshy/grassy area with plenty of space to spread out.  Just stay off the property of the homeowners nearby.  The photo below is a minimally zoomed view of the launchpad from the end of Arbuckle Neck.

« Last Edit: 04/19/2013 05:50 pm by effectivebits »

« Reply #84 on: 04/19/2013 07:51 pm »
I was at Arbuckle but I am curious as to this road closing thing. do they sometimes close it?

also has the arbuckle farm people ever had a vehicle towed? I noticed the police were there when we left.
« Last Edit: 04/19/2013 07:55 pm by CardBoardBoxProcessor »

Offline effectivebits

« Reply #85 on: 04/19/2013 07:56 pm »
I spoke to the police officer.  He was there to make sure people didn't park on the fields, and also to make sure nobody blocked the road.  You can imagine that if a few people start blocking the road, others will drive over the field to get out.  Before you know it, that private property could be destroyed.  Also, it could be hard to evacuate if there was an emergency.  From what I saw, people were respectful, stayed off the fields, and nobody blocked the road.

I thought he was going to stop letting people park after a certain number of cars, but as far as I can tell, there were at least 100 cars lined up, maybe more.

During some launches (Minotaur and I believe the test first of Antares) they will block the road for safety since it is so close.

You can also see the pad from Tom's Cove point if the day is clear enough, but you are about 7 miles away instead of 2 like you are at Arbuckle neck Road.

My kids loved the marshy area - my daughter found a turtle and my son was parading it around showing it to everyone.

« Reply #86 on: 04/19/2013 07:59 pm »
ah so that was you with the tiny turtle eh?

I was the guy with the deathly pale skin, bald head and monkey shirt.  lol.

Offline wolfpack

• Wake Forest, NC
« Reply #87 on: 04/19/2013 08:19 pm »
Does it make sense to bring a scanner along? Could I tune into the loop? If so, what frequency?

« Reply #88 on: 04/19/2013 09:03 pm »
a pad ops guy had a radio/scanner but who knows if a scanner would pick it up. I cannot imagine it not being encoded. the twitter feed is good enough for major updates. But if anyone has a channel for a scanner that would be neat.

But it was cool to here people calling out of the launch zone and see their car crossing the bridge at the same time.
« Last Edit: 04/19/2013 09:12 pm by CardBoardBoxProcessor »

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #89 on: 04/19/2013 10:20 pm »
Orbital has set up an Antares album on Flickr for photo sharing:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/antares_pix/

Offline effectivebits

« Reply #90 on: 04/19/2013 10:32 pm »
ah so that was you with the tiny turtle eh?

I was the guy with the deathly pale skin, bald head and monkey shirt.  lol.

Green shirt and blue jeans?

« Reply #91 on: 04/20/2013 02:11 am »
jesus. I really am pale as the dead and my head really does shine like a pool ball like people say. :o

I will post my pictures later after my days possible to view the launch in person are up.

Offline block51

« Reply #92 on: 04/20/2013 11:30 am »
Does it make sense to bring a scanner along? Could I tune into the loop? If so, what frequency?

Wallops plot on marine band channel 12 is the best I know of.

« Reply #93 on: 04/20/2013 12:58 pm »
it is still awful cloudy. is it worth making the trip?

edit: here in Annapolis it just became clear as a bell. hopefully this clearness reaches wallops by 5.
« Last Edit: 04/20/2013 01:21 pm by CardBoardBoxProcessor »

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #94 on: 04/20/2013 01:23 pm »
it is still awful cloudy. is it worth making the trip?

edit: here in Annapolis it just became clear as a bell. hopefully this clearness reaches wallops by 5.

Yes, forecast is for clearing today as the front passes through.

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #95 on: 04/20/2013 07:11 pm »
From the launch thread:

Range is trying to relocate some 40 or so people from the extreme south end of Assateague to clear additional people-free space because of the strong southwesterly winds... if they are successful, AND the FAA approves the new debris limit lines, we MIGHT be able to launch today...

If they do it, it would be the most awesome real-time reprogramming I've ever seen a range do...

I guess they will tell them that either they move back or the will NOT see a launch...

Good reminder NOT to cross the barriers at Chincoteague NWR or you most definitely will not get a good view!

Also, went up onto the roof of my house on Capitol Hill and put some directional markings on my a/c unit for reference.  (Attached.)  Hope those low clouds dissipate and the launch goes off!

(FYI - 110 miles, 131 degrees azimuth)
« Last Edit: 04/20/2013 07:16 pm by jsmjr »

Offline wolfpack

• Wake Forest, NC
« Reply #96 on: 04/21/2013 01:12 am »
Made it out just in time for the scrub. :(

Man, Arbuckle Neck is DANGER close!  :o

Offline BillyJoeBob

• Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #97 on: 04/21/2013 02:37 am »

Very true...it is DANGER close but it sure will be awesome to watch when it finally takes off.

Here's a very poor quality video I took of the launch area.
I was standing in the marshy area, no tripod, gnats were flying into every exposed part of my body...I can't wait to see the first flight!!!

The birds sure did put on a show though....flying around and then diving into the water to pick up dinner!!

;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6-xwtmqgqY&feature=youtu.be

« Last Edit: 04/21/2013 02:41 am by BillyJoeBob »

« Reply #98 on: 04/21/2013 02:57 am »
Gosh you got there pretty early for hardly anyone to be in your video.

on a tangent. How do Antares stages get there? Trucked in or flown in? I notice it is larger than the spaceX rocket in diameter.

Online catdlr

« Reply #99 on: 04/21/2013 03:02 am »

on a tangent. How do Antares stages get there? Trucked in or flown in? I notice it is larger than the spaceX rocket in diameter.

Trucked in:

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21448
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #100 on: 04/21/2013 03:33 am »

Trucked in:

But first shipped in from the Ukraine.

« Reply #101 on: 04/21/2013 03:58 am »
From Ukraine? gosh that is pretty disappointing.

anyway. Lets hope the ground is drier tomorrow at Arbuckle. Our Chairs sunk in a good inch or so today. And we might be needing bug spray tomorrow as well. Mosquitoes will surely follow the gnat swarms of today.
« Last Edit: 04/21/2013 03:59 am by CardBoardBoxProcessor »

Offline bkellysky

• Selfie in Surveyor's camera mirror at NASM
  • Ardsley, New York, USA
    • Heads UP!
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 249
« Reply #102 on: 04/21/2013 02:32 pm »
John Grunsfeld, Dir. NASA Space Programs, and STS-103, 109, 125 Hubble Repairman, was all set to show us the Antares launch yesterday during his talk at the Northeast Astronomy Forum, north of New York City, yesterday.

I wonder Mike Brown, famed for 'killing' Pluto, will show it to us, since his talk is ending about the time of the opening of the launch window?

It will be very low on the horizon here, so video might be a better option.

National Weather Service Hourly Forecast for Wallops Is. VA. 04/21                                          
Hour (EDT)   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23      
Temperature (°F)   50   51   51   52   52   52   51   50   49   47   46   45   43      
Dewpoint (°F)   29   28   27   26   27   28   29   29   30   30   31   31   32      
Heat Index (°F)                                             
Wind (mph)   16   16   16   16   16   16   16   15   15   14   13   11   11      
Wind Dir   N   NE   NE   NE   NE   NE   NE   NE   NE   NE   E   E   E      
Gust                                             
Sky Cover (%)   11   12   13   13   15   16   18   18   18   18   21   24   27      
Pcpn. Potential (%)   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   3   3   3   3      
Rel. Humidity (%)   44   41   39   36   38   39   42   44   48   51   55   58   65      

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7111
  • Likes Given: 3061
« Reply #103 on: 04/21/2013 02:48 pm »

Very true...it is DANGER close but it sure will be awesome to watch when it finally takes off.

I was standing in the marshy area, no tripod, gnats were flying into every exposed part of my body...I can't wait to see the first flight!!!

The birds sure did put on a show though....flying around and then diving into the water to pick up dinner!!

;)

Interesting video of the surroundings. Thanks!

Offline smith5se

« Reply #104 on: 04/21/2013 03:13 pm »
Alrighty, lets try this again. See you all out there!

As a reminder to those going to Arbuckle Neck Rd. Of youd like to keep it open please remember the following:

- pick up your trash when you go, farmers dont want the trash on their fields.
- DONT drive or park or wander on the farmer's fields
- ONLY park on the NORTH side of the road

These were the rules given to us by the officers at the first attempt.

My views are mine, and mine alone and DO NOT reflect that of my employer nor my place of employment.

Offline BillyJoeBob

• Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #105 on: 04/21/2013 04:53 pm »
Alrighty, lets try this again. See you all out there!

As a reminder to those going to Arbuckle Neck Rd. Of youd like to keep it open please remember the following:

- pick up your trash when you go, farmers dont want the trash on their fields.
- DONT drive or park or wander on the farmer's fields
- ONLY park on the NORTH side of the road

These were the rules given to us by the officers at the first attempt.

I second that about the trash. I was PO'd when I saw some of the trash from yesterday. But a lot of it seemed very old. Lots of old empty beer bottles.

Was not aware of the north side parking though but it makes sense, since that portion of the field was mowed.

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #106 on: 04/21/2013 04:55 pm »
Any thoughts on Arbuckle possibly closing to late arrivals?  Wondering how close I could cut it. 

Offline BillyJoeBob

• Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #107 on: 04/21/2013 04:56 pm »

;)

Interesting video of the surroundings. Thanks!

Sorry for the poor quality but it does give an idea of the surroundings. Today I will bring a tripod.  Hopefully the only shaking in the video will be from the rumble of a lift-off!!!🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀

Offline smith5se

« Reply #108 on: 04/21/2013 05:08 pm »
Any thoughts on Arbuckle possibly closing to late arrivals?  Wondering how close I could cut it. 

I dont think they will close it but it gets really tight on the road the closer to launch you get and then youd have a bit of a walk to the end. Not too bad if you dont mind walking.

Offline TJL

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 155
« Reply #109 on: 04/21/2013 08:45 pm »
Clear skys here on Long Island, NY...binoculars ready!

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #110 on: 04/21/2013 09:23 pm »

I dont think they will close it but it gets really tight on the road the closer to launch you get and then youd have a bit of a walk to the end. Not too bad if you dont mind walking.

Logistical difficulties prevented me from getting out to the Eastern Shore.  Here's my view of the launch from DC.  :-(  Next time!

Offline spacedog71

« Reply #111 on: 04/21/2013 09:47 pm »
that there was a shot of pure methadone to this shuttle launch addict. the thunder!

Offline bkellysky

• Selfie in Surveyor's camera mirror at NASM
  • Ardsley, New York, USA
    • Heads UP!
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 249
« Reply #112 on: 04/21/2013 10:57 pm »
They put the launch up on the big screen in the auditorium here at the NorthEast Astronomy Forum about T+60, at the end of Mike Brown's talk.  Several people in the audience must have been following along in their mobile devices - yelling 'liftoff'.  A couple of people went outside, but I don't know if they saw it.  It would have been pretty low from here.

Lots of enthusiasm for the really cool video from various locations on the craft.  I especially liked the faring separation seen from the inside!
Good work and congrats to the Antares flight team!

Offline majormajor42

• Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 230
« Reply #113 on: 04/21/2013 11:11 pm »
Saw it from NYC. Astoria Queens to be precise. Someone else in Brooklyn put a great shot on the Antares Launch Pix gallery on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/antares_pix/pool/with/8670028294/#photo_8670028294

My shot is just the contrail. The contrail lasted from about 2:29 to 2:52 I noticed. I was listening to the launch while viewing the horizon. Got pretty excited. Replays of the launch do indeed show that that would have been the time it would have been visible.

...water is life and it is out there, where we intend to go. I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man or machine on a body such as the Moon and harvest a cup of water for a human to drink or process into fuel for their craft.

Offline BillyJoeBob

• Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #114 on: 04/22/2013 02:28 am »
Here's my video of the launch from the end of Arbuckle Neck.

I also have video of the subsequent brush fire after the launch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7xsYQXjt0I&feature=youtu.be

Yes, there were lots of cars - into the hundreds...I parked 1/2 mile away about 15 mins before launch.  While driving in there...I noticed there seemed to be 3 major groupings of where people parked.  Of course, I thought, I need to get as close as possible...why are all these people parking 3-4 miles away when they can get 2 miles away!

I think it would have been better to have been further back as you could still see the launch pad/water tower and the rocket would not be going directly up where you basically pivoted your head 90 degrees.

What a blast today was!  ...and not just figuratively speaking!  ;D

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7111
  • Likes Given: 3061
« Reply #115 on: 04/22/2013 02:41 am »
Man that was a nasty fire. Hopefully, they managed to contain it.

It looks like the brush fire isn't considered serious:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/04/21/rocket-wallops-island-nasa-space/2101659/
« Last Edit: 04/22/2013 02:48 am by yg1968 »

Offline BillyJoeBob

• Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #116 on: 04/22/2013 02:48 am »
Man that was a nasty fire. Hopefully, they managed to contain it.

About 5:30pm (1/2 hr after launch) it appeared to be well contained but you can tell from where it first started to how quickly it moved across the facility...it was a moving fire!

Interesting was that most of the smoke from the rocket was directed out towards the ocean and dissipated rather quickly whereas the brush fire smoke seemed to drift directly south and created more smoke than the launch!

« Reply #117 on: 04/22/2013 03:02 am »
Here is my FB Album. I got a few pictures. Those cold winds and me checking the internet so much had my hands so numb that I could not properly use the camera. Only about half my pictures turned out.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10200539420862342.1073741825.1062953631&type=1

here are a few good ones.
Just after launch, Ice falling away.
Just after Gravity Turn.
Contrail before MECO (I have a MECO on FB I think)
And the burning marshland.
« Last Edit: 04/22/2013 03:04 am by CardBoardBoxProcessor »

Offline BillyJoeBob

• Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #118 on: 04/22/2013 03:04 am »
CardBoardBoxProc,
Very, Very beautiful pics...

« Reply #119 on: 04/22/2013 03:16 am »
Thanks, I am surprised they came out so well. My hands were so numb I could not tell I was holding the camera and I was shivering like a low blood sugar chiwawa and i was only looking at the rocket with my own two eyes. (never seen one before) Just sort of guesstimating the camera view.

It was all worth it though!

Online catdlr

« Reply #120 on: 04/22/2013 03:18 am »
Here's my video of the launch from the end of Arbuckle Neck.

I also have video of the subsequent brush fire after the launch.

Yes, there were lots of cars - into the hundreds...I parked 1/2 mile away about 15 mins before launch.  While driving in there...I noticed there seemed to be 3 major groupings of where people parked.  Of course, I thought, I need to get as close as possible...why are all these people parking 3-4 miles away when they can get 2 miles away!

I think it would have been better to have been further back as you could still see the launch pad/water tower and the rocket would not be going directly up where you basically pivoted your head 90 degrees.

What a blast today was!  ...and not just figuratively speaking!  ;D

BillyJoeBob
Despite having to run 1/2 mile to set up and being your first time at filming a launch, your efforts are very professional.  Your additional coverage of the fire is in par for most free-lance news coverage crews.  Congratulations.  Perhaps you can donate your time to provide future Wallops NASA sub-orbital and Orbital launches for NSF.

Offline BillyJoeBob

• Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #121 on: 04/22/2013 03:33 am »
Here's more useless video of the brush fire...this is the video that has the fire dept coming in and spraying it with some pretty powerful water jets.    :-\

Offline BillyJoeBob

• Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #122 on: 04/22/2013 03:38 am »

BillyJoeBob
Despite having to run 1/2 mile to set up and being your first time at filming a launch, your efforts are very professional.  Your additional coverage of the fire is in par for most free-lance news coverage crews.  Congratulations.  Perhaps you can donate your time to provide future Wallops NASA sub-orbital and Orbital launches for NSF.

Thanks for comments.
As for professional...I would have to disagree with you!   ;)

But...the wife did make a comment after I complained about the wind noise in the video that maybe we should go out and buy a better video camera!  (this from a woman who would buy the latest and greatest video camera every 6 months if I let her!)   ::)

« Reply #123 on: 04/22/2013 03:45 am »
I wish i had bought a new camera for the launch. My Coolpix 500 just doe snot cut it anymore after I got droid apps. Those droid app panorama and such apps are amazing. and i say. why can't this $500 camera take pictures as fast as it and do the things it can do...

Offline chrisking0997

• NASA Langley
« Reply #124 on: 04/23/2013 05:51 pm »
was the second stage ignition seen from the ground anywhere? 

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #125 on: 04/23/2013 06:13 pm »

Interested to know that myself.

Also, here are some photos from about one mile back from the end of Arbuckle Neck, towards Assawoman:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/fxmurphy/sets/72157633301277614/  (Note: not by me)

This may represent the best view you can get if the road ends up being closed during future Cygnus flights (because of hydrazine and other toxics on board). 

Offline TJL

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 155
« Reply #126 on: 04/23/2013 09:32 pm »
I don't believe it was visible from the ground. It took place at an altitude of 117 miles about 5 and a half minutes after liftoff...pretty far downrange.
Personally, I was just able to see first stage powered flight from my vantage point.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: 04/23/2013 10:20 pm »
I don't believe it was visible from the ground. It took place at an altitude of 117 miles about 5 and a half minutes after liftoff...pretty far downrange.
Personally, I was just able to see first stage powered flight from my vantage point.
Should have only been visible over open ocean and near Bermuda with viewing aids.

Offline spacedog71

« Reply #128 on: 04/24/2013 01:11 am »
Also, here are some photos from about one mile back from the end of Arbuckle Neck, towards Assawoman:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/fxmurphy/sets/72157633301277614/  (Note: not by me)

This may represent the best view you can get if the road ends up being closed during future Cygnus flights (because of hydrazine and other toxics on board). 

i was extremely curious to know what the view from that vantage point was like, for that very reason. thanks!

here's my video of the launch, from the end of arbuckle neck:

Offline spacedog71

« Reply #129 on: 04/24/2013 01:20 am »
here are a few snapshots of the launch pad, from the end of arbuckle neck road.

(nikon d5100, 200mm, ISO 100, f/8, 1/800)

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7680
« Reply #130 on: 04/24/2013 01:42 am »

Nice ones, thanks

Offline BillyJoeBob

• Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #131 on: 04/24/2013 04:19 am »

Could I please request for permission to use your 4th picture as a thumbnail for my YouTube video?  That picture is awesome!

Offline FXM

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #132 on: 08/09/2013 07:02 pm »
That was me with the photo from that area. :-)

I arrived late only about 30 minutes before launch and was in a hurry to set everything up. When I saw the police cars near the bend in the road I thought we could go no further plus I was guessing it must of been crowded at the end of the road and did not want to end up spending time trying to find parking. So ended up in that spot near the bend. Really not a bad viewing area however when I saw the other photos from the end of the road I thought, next time :-)

Hopefully Minotaur V/LADEE launch I will be closer.

Interested to know that myself.

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #133 on: 08/09/2013 07:35 pm »

Do you mind revealing what camera/lens you were using from there?

Offline FXM

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #134 on: 08/09/2013 09:08 pm »
Sure no problem, it was a Nikon D7000 with the Nikon 80-400mm f/4.5
for the zoomed photos. The wide angle and video images were with a Nikon D90 with the Nikon 18-55mm f/4.5

Video link is here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2-ef05tSVw
For recording the sound I had a tripod with the Sony PCM-M10, Omnidirectional Microphones.

Currently having a friend CNC a larger mounting plate for a Majestic tripod I bought to so I can mount both cameras so I can shoot video and take stills at the same time.

Wish I lived closer  ;D

Do you mind revealing what camera/lens you were using from there?

Offline grythumn

• Liked: 167
  • Likes Given: 246
« Reply #135 on: 08/16/2013 05:33 pm »
I'm thinking about trying to catch one or both of the September launches... is the Arbuckle Neck site generally considered the best option? Is the marsh vegetation in Oyster Bay high enough to worry about? The phragmites is quite high this year... I saw stands in 12' range in Queen Anne's County today.

-Bob

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography