Author Topic: Antares A-One Going to View the Launch  (Read 64551 times)

Offline wjbarnett

Antares A-One Going to View the Launch
« on: 03/31/2013 01:31 pm »
I'm going to be in Baltimore for a convention the week of April 15, so hoping to make it down to Wallops for this launch. Yes, a 3 hour drive, but I'm excited... 

Any and all recommended viewing locations please, plus maybe even suggestions for a NSF meetup... 
Jack

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 28
Re: Antares A-One Going to View the Launch
« Reply #1 on: 03/31/2013 01:52 pm »
As good a place as any to repost my Google map of Wallops landmarks. 

http://goo.gl/maps/7SDDv

Consider this a beta / work-in-progress.  Always happy to accept corrections and comments, particularly after we begin Antares flights and have a better sense of road closures and workable viewing sites.

Offline effectivebits

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: 03/31/2013 02:44 pm »
I'm wondering about parking at Tom's Cove and hiking 3 miles to the end of the beach.  Is that a possibility for the launch?

JSMJR - where did you get that purple line from?  Is that a zone of avoidance?  It appears to include some of the potential viewing spots like Arbuckle Neck and Wisharts.

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #3 on: 03/31/2013 02:51 pm »
JSMJR - where did you get that purple line from?  Is that a zone of avoidance?  It appears to include some of the potential viewing spots like Arbuckle Neck and Wisharts.

The blue line is the Marine Danger Zone under 33 CFR § 334.130.  I don't think it affects anything on land:  "When warning signals are displayed, all persons and vessels in the danger zone, except vessels entering or departing Chincoteague Inlet, shall leave the zone promptly by the shortest possible route and shall remain outside the zone until allowed by a patrol boat to enter or the dangers signal has been discontinued. Vessels entering or departing Chincoteague Inlet shall take the shortest passage possible through the danger zone upon display of the danger signal." 

Offline rickl

• Pennsylvania, USA
  • Liked: 146
  • Likes Given: 150
« Reply #4 on: 03/31/2013 02:57 pm »
Is there any information about viewing for those of us who are not going to Wallops?  I live in southeastern Pennsylvania, about 150 miles from Wallops as the crow flies. 

I've seen two nighttime Shuttle launches from my location (while it was still under powered flight), and I saw the five sounding rockets that were launched from Wallops a while back.  I'm thinking that this could be the best view I've ever had of a space launch.  Will it be bright enough for me to see in the daytime?
The Space Age is just starting to get interesting.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4660
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #5 on: 03/31/2013 09:12 pm »
Is there any information about viewing for those of us who are not going to Wallops?  I live in southeastern Pennsylvania, about 150 miles from Wallops as the crow flies. 

I've seen two nighttime Shuttle launches from my location (while it was still under powered flight), and I saw the five sounding rockets that were launched from Wallops a while back.  I'm thinking that this could be the best view I've ever had of a space launch.  Will it be bright enough for me to see in the daytime?
Remember Antares will travel along descending node of 51.6 inclination for all Antares flights to ISS. KSC/CCAFS travel along ascending node of 51.6 inclination for all flights to ISS  Yeah, goto the East coast of North America below Wallops Island and look between SSE and SE out to sea. You can also view it as far as the Eastern most point of South America but at that point you may need something better than your eyes to see it well. Of course, I have never seen a launch fly out of WFF on a descending node of 51.6 inclination.

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #6 on: 03/31/2013 10:50 pm »
For April 17, 3pm local time, here are your photographer's ephemerii for viewing Pad 0-A from Arbuckle Neck Road (looking 1.7 miles ESE) and the sand spit by Tom's Cove (looking 6 miles WSW).  The sun could be a significant problem for the latter.

« Last Edit: 03/31/2013 10:51 pm by jsmjr »

Offline rickl

• Pennsylvania, USA
  • Liked: 146
  • Likes Given: 150
« Reply #7 on: 03/31/2013 11:45 pm »

Remember Antares will travel along descending node of 51.6 inclination for all Antares flights to ISS. KSC/CCAFS travel along ascending node of 51.6 inclination for all flights to ISS.

Oh.  Thanks.  I had assumed that Antares would take the same path as Shuttle and Dragon, but I guess that would be too close to the coast.  So Antares will be heading almost directly away from me.  Well, it was a nice thought while it lasted.   :)
The Space Age is just starting to get interesting.

Offline CardBoardBoxProcessor

• Liked: 176
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: 04/01/2013 12:56 am »
Me and my father have been quite puzzled as to the best locations for this event. Would north or South of the pad be the best bet? I am not sure what 51.6 degrees node means  at all :D

Offline wjbarnett

« Reply #9 on: 04/01/2013 01:01 am »
Me and my father have been quite puzzled as to the best locations for this event. Would north or South of the pad be the best bet? I am not sure what 51.6 degrees node means  at all :D
"descending node" means the ISS and therefore also Antares will be heading Southeast for an ISS rendezvous. While this is a Flight Test only, it is still the path (launch azimuth) we understand the initial flight will take off from the launch pad. 
Jack

Offline CardBoardBoxProcessor

• Liked: 176
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: 04/01/2013 01:06 am »
Hmm. So I would imagine some where south of the launch site would be slightly more entertaining. Not that it makes much difference. I plan to be as close as possible and southeast will look like an immobile dot from anywhere near by the launch site I would imagine. Perhaps later launches I will go for more arcing views.

Thanks.

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #11 on: 04/01/2013 01:25 am »
The likely launch azimuth is essentially perpendicular to the local coastline. Being southerly of the pad helps some. But because Tom's Cove juts out to sea NE of the pad, it offers a nice arcing view -- just somewhat into the afternoon sun for early Spring. For my money, I would just try to be as close to lift off as possible -- somewhere with a direct line of sight to the pad, as the first few seconds are always the most visually impressive.

If anyone stumbles upon particularly good sites, please post to let us know.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4660
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #12 on: 04/01/2013 01:44 am »
Hmm. So I would imagine some where south of the launch site would be slightly more entertaining. Not that it makes much difference. I plan to be as close as possible and southeast will look like an immobile dot from anywhere near by the launch site I would imagine. Perhaps later launches I will go for more arcing views.

Thanks.
Bermuda and surrounding area in lower North Atlantic looking almost North to South yet slightly to the West, will have the best vantage point until the eastern most point of South America when looking for first stage. For 2nd stage Western coastline and Southern coastline of South Africa is considered best with viewing aids.

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #13 on: 04/02/2013 05:34 pm »
Don't be completely sure all of those land areas will be open for launch. Some of those roads come within 1.6 miles of the pad. For this untested, powerful rocket, there is a good chance they will put road blocks in place and ask some locals to move. I have not heard anything official yet but have tried to find out some information myself.

That's what I'm wondering about.  Any idea if they'll post what road restrictions will be in place ahead of time?

The official viewing location at the visitor's center is 7.5 miles away.  Looking at the area, it seems one should be able to get much closer on local roads.  Even somewhere like Persimmon Point (intersection of 679 and 762) is ~3.6 mi, and looks to have some houses in the area.  Kegotank Elementary School is only 4.3 mi away...and while even if you can't enter the school property, the area around it certainly must be open.

Anyone familiar with the area that can comment?  Also anyone have an idea how early one should get to their spot?  I've been to a few shuttle and cape launches, but no idea about this area.
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline chrisking0997

• NASA Langley
  • Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 317
« Reply #14 on: 04/02/2013 06:25 pm »
its too bad the lighthouse is closed for maintenance...got a great view of the pads from there in September.

Im guessing the south ends of Assateague and Chincoteague would be good viewing, or the bridge road between the two.  Ill be up there this weekend (curse you Orbital for delaying :) ), if I happen upon a good spot Ill post it
Tried to tell you, we did.  Listen, you did not.  Now, screwed we all are.

Offline block51

• Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: 04/02/2013 06:42 pm »
From a friend in NASA ground safety: Launch danger area is a circle centred on the pad with a radius of 8500 feet.

Arbuckle should be open for viewing!

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #16 on: 04/02/2013 11:45 pm »
8500', wow talk about right up close and personal!!! Time to beg the wife for permission for a road trip ...
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline block51

• Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #17 on: 04/08/2013 08:26 pm »
I was speaking with some other people today and they seemed to think it may be unlikely that Arbuckle will be open on Launch day. I would hate for anyone to drive a few hours thinking they are definitely going to be able to get 8.5 kft away from the launch then not have that happen...

That being said, there are still plenty of places you could view the launch from. The southernmost tip of Chincoteague could be a decent view, as well as Assateague beach.

I'll certainly be trying for Arbuckle though.

Offline chrisking0997

• NASA Langley
  • Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 317
« Reply #18 on: 04/09/2013 05:33 pm »
there are no direct pad views that I could find on Chincoteague Island as the northern part of Wallops Island looks to be tree covered, so if youre looking for that you would have to go to Assateague.  I was able to see the pad from Little Toms Cove (pony pen location) and eastward to the beach.
Tried to tell you, we did.  Listen, you did not.  Now, screwed we all are.

Offline effectivebits

• Liked: 0
« Reply #19 on: 04/09/2013 06:56 pm »
Chris,

Do you need to hike to the end of the beach (looks to be about 3 miles) or can you see the launch from the parking area?

Thanks

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography