Author Topic: SpaceX F9 : Bangabandhu-1 : KSC 39A : May 11, 2018 : Discussion  (Read 163232 times)

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
https://twitter.com/Thales_Alenia_S/status/978614402176966657

@Thales_Alenia_S
Follow Follow @Thales_Alenia_S
More
Passenger #Bangabandhu Satellite-1 is requested for boarding soon! Next Thursday on Antonov flight 007 to #Florida ! Live from #Nice #airport, impressive #Antonov !

We'll see on a launch date, but sats generally requires about a month of launch site process.

EDIT:  Hmm... Thales Alena has now deleted this tweet.

EDIT #2:  Tweet is back.  Only thing that changed is info about the Antonov plane.  https://twitter.com/Thales_Alenia_S/status/978625089242615809

@Thales_Alenia_S
Passenger #Bangabandhu Satellite-1 requested for boarding soon! Next Thursday on #Antonov to #Florida ! Live from #Nice #airport, impressive Antonov!
« Last Edit: 03/27/2018 01:49 pm by ChrisGebhardt »

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81637
  • Likes Given: 36932
Hello @AmericaSpace . The satellite will leave Thales Alenia Space's plant in Cannes on March 28th. It will take-off, from Nice Airport onboard the Antonov, on March 29th (between 6 and 8 AM local time). After a layover in Boston on March 29th, it will arrive in Cape on March 30.

https://twitter.com/thales_alenia_s/status/978663575412727808

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
If anyone hears the exact arrival/departure times in Boston, I might take my 5yr old down to Logan to watch it.

Offline vaporcobra

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
The satellite should land in Boston in about half an hour.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
Heads up @BostonLogan! This Antonov An-124 is coming your way. Glad I finally caught this bird inflight (Even if it was from across the Promenade). #UR82072

https://twitter.com/theaviationbeat/status/979422693471768577?s=21

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
Tweet from Thales Alenia Space:
#Bangabandhu Satellite-1 has just arrived at Cape Canaveral. First ever #communications #satellite of #Bangladesh to be orbited by a @SpaceX #Falcon9 #launch #vehicle http://thls.co/j0mh30jeAuU  @AirlinesAntonov @AntonovCompany @ThalesAsia @leonardo_live @telespazio @thalesemploi

Offline intrepidpursuit

• Orlando, FL
  • Liked: 561
  • Likes Given: 400
Additional confirmation. The Antonov is now making a stop at MCO on its way back from KSC.

https://www.facebook.com/flyMCO/videos/10155231012856625/

Offline Yellowstone10

In that photo from the Thales Alenia Space tweet, what's the purpose of those balloons? Are they holding up some of the weight of the deployed antenna?

Offline intrepidpursuit

• Orlando, FL
In that photo from the Thales Alenia Space tweet, what's the purpose of those balloons? Are they holding up some of the weight of the deployed antenna?

To my eye the balloons appear to be holding up a very small model of an antenna (whatever that is we are seeing) in the foreground in front of the real spacecraft in the background.

EDIT: On third look, the rightmost balloon appears to be behind the spacecraft. So perhaps those are giant lifting balloons? Why?

The scale and lens make me think there may be some editing going on. If all that is full size it doesn't seem like it would fit under that acoustic ceiling.
« Last Edit: 03/30/2018 09:52 pm by intrepidpursuit »

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 570
  • Likes Given: 539
You made me look closer. It appears they have a tension meter attached to the balloon string and the balloon string is attached to the antenna. Really strange.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
If all that is full size it doesn't seem like it would fit under that acoustic ceiling.

It looks to me like that acoustic ceiling is about 3 stories up.

Offline intrepidpursuit

• Orlando, FL
If all that is full size it doesn't seem like it would fit under that acoustic ceiling.

It looks to me like that acoustic ceiling is about 3 stories up.

Agreed. But it looks like the space craft is at least two stories. Hard to tell if that bridge crane would clear the top of the sat from its perch above the rolling door. The scale of the balloons is hard to see in the wide angle lens, but they must be enormous to fill that much of the view.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
You made me look closer. It appears they have a tension meter attached to the balloon string and the balloon string is attached to the antenna. Really strange.

My immediate thought is that they’re doing a sort of deployment test (or just need to open up the antenna for some reason), and since the hinge and structure is designed for microgravity, they needed a way to easily counteract gravity. Balloons are an easy way to accomplish a given, constant off-loading force on a part that can move without a complicated rigging system.

I’m pretty sure the balloons are for gravity off-loading.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline MechE31

• MELBOURNE, FL
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 1

My immediate thought is that they’re doing a sort of deployment test (or just need to open up the antenna for some reason), and since the hinge and structure is designed for microgravity, they needed a way to easily counteract gravity. Balloons are an easy way to accomplish a given, constant off-loading force on a part that can move without a complicated rigging system.

I’m pretty sure the balloons are for gravity off-loading.

I'd guess you're right. I've had to do similar counterbalances on other space based deployables I've worked on. You want to simulate the deployment environments as close as possible.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
SpaceX to Debut Falcon 9 Block 5 in April

CAPE CANAVERAL - The upgraded Falcon 9 Block 5 rocket SpaceX needs to taxi NASA astronauts to and from the International Space Station (ISS) and deliver U.S. national security spacecraft into orbit will make its first flight on a commercial mission for Bangladesh, SpaceX President Gwynne Shotwell says. Bangabandhu Satellite-1, which was built by Thales Alenia Space for the Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission, will be the first Bangladeshi geostationary satellite, ...

http://m.aviationweek.com/space/spacex-debut-falcon-9-block-5-april

Offline mgeagon

• Hong Kong
  • Liked: 255
  • Likes Given: 3
SpaceX to Debut Falcon 9 Block 5 in April

CAPE CANAVERAL - The upgraded Falcon 9 Block 5 rocket SpaceX needs to taxi NASA astronauts to and from the International Space Station (ISS) and deliver U.S. national security spacecraft into orbit will make its first flight on a commercial mission for Bangladesh, SpaceX President Gwynne Shotwell says.
http://m.aviationweek.com/space/spacex-debut-falcon-9-block-5-april
The article further states, "She (Ms. Shotwell) declined to say how many Block 5 boosters SpaceX will manufacture, adding that it will be a 'sizable fleet.'"

Offline vaporcobra

Now NET May 4 per a vast number of articles with comments from project director Md Mesbahuzzaman.
‘US company SpaceX who will put Bangabandhu-1 into orbit has sent us a letter confirming the new schedule,’ he said.

Additionally, this article states that the satellite's mass is 3.7t (presumably metric).
« Last Edit: 04/11/2018 08:52 am by vaporcobra »

Online Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
Now NET May 4 per a vast number of articles with comments from project director Md Mesbahuzzaman.
‘US company SpaceX who will put Bangabandhu-1 into orbit has sent us a letter confirming the new schedule,’ he said.

Additionally, this article states that the satellite's mass is 3.7t (presumably metric).

Do we have any indication on the launch window?

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography