Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 : GovSat-1 (SES-16) : Jan 31. 2018 - Discussion  (Read 207780 times)

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6801
  • Likes Given: 2965
No update thread so will post this here... Govsat may potentially launch before FH according to SpaceX PAO-

https://mobile.twitter.com/AmericaSpace/status/950464308017811457

That would not be surprising, since FH still has a lot of test milestones to complete before it can launch and they are tentatively scheduled within 1 day of each other.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81659
  • Likes Given: 36933
GovSat-1 telecom sat owned by @SES_Satellites /Lux govt JV GovSat, built by @OrbitalATK, arrives at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station for planned Jan 30 @SpaceX Falcon 9 launch.

https://twitter.com/pbdes/status/951363834576502784

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81659
  • Likes Given: 36933
GovSat-1 Arrives at Cape Canaveral for SpaceX Launch
11/01/2018
GovSat’s first satellite GovSat-1 will offer highly secure capabilities for governments and institutions

Luxembourg, 11 January 2018 – The GovSat-1 spacecraft has arrived at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida. GovSat-1 is the first satellite of GovSat, which is a brand operated by a joint venture between the Government of Luxembourg and the world-leading satellite operator SES. It is scheduled for launch at the end of this month on board a SpaceX flight-proven Falcon 9 rocket.

The multi-mission satellite was built by Orbital ATK and is designed for the exclusive use of governments and institutions. Located at the 21.5 degrees East orbital slot, GovSat-1 will serve Europe, the Middle East and Africa, including substantial maritime coverage over the Mediterranean and Baltic seas, and the Atlantic and Indian Oceans.

Patrick Biewer, CEO of GovSat, said, “We are committed to our mission of providing secure satellite communication services for governments and institutions. GovSat-1, with its highly flexible payload featuring advanced encryption and anti-jamming capabilities, will further secure the connectivity for our users’ applications. We are incredibly excited about the upcoming launch of this satellite.”

https://www.govsat.lu/news/govsat-1-arrivesat-cape-canaveral-for-spacex-launch
« Last Edit: 01/11/2018 02:30 pm by gongora »

Online Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
State-owned Antonov, Ukraine's only aircraft manufacturer, has applied to U.S. Department of Transportation for an emergency exemption to operate a single one-way all-cargo charter flight by An-124-100 Ruslan transporting outsized rocket hardware manufactured by Space Exploration Technologies Corp. (SpaceX).
https://economics.unian.info/2340258-ukraines-antonov-applies-for-us-permit-to-haul-spacexs-cargo.html

The article later states that two fairing halves are the cargo.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
And looks like the An-124 is on its way to LAX:

https://www.flightradar24.com/ADB251F/1018f832

That plane already flew from LAX to Titusville today.

edit:  See posts in SpaceX General Discussion starting here.
« Last Edit: 01/11/2018 06:29 pm by gongora »

The mystery is finally solved - B1032 (NROL-76) booster will be launching this satellite.
https://spaceflightnow.com/2018/01/11/after-zuma-spacex-keeps-pace-in-preps-for-next-falcon-9-launch/

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
I thought B1032 was mothballed after NROL-76.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Online Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
GovSat-1 Arrives at Cape Canaveral for SpaceX Launch
11/01/2018
GovSat’s first satellite GovSat-1 will offer highly secure capabilities for governments and institutions

Luxembourg, 11 January 2018 – The GovSat-1 spacecraft has arrived at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida. GovSat-1 is the first satellite of GovSat, which is a brand operated by a joint venture between the Government of Luxembourg and the world-leading satellite operator SES. It is scheduled for launch at the end of this month on board a SpaceX flight-proven Falcon 9 rocket.

The multi-mission satellite was built by Orbital ATK and is designed for the exclusive use of governments and institutions. Located at the 21.5 degrees East orbital slot, GovSat-1 will serve Europe, the Middle East and Africa, including substantial maritime coverage over the Mediterranean and Baltic seas, and the Atlantic and Indian Oceans.

Patrick Biewer, CEO of GovSat, said, “We are committed to our mission of providing secure satellite communication services for governments and institutions. GovSat-1, with its highly flexible payload featuring advanced encryption and anti-jamming capabilities, will further secure the connectivity for our users’ applications. We are incredibly excited about the upcoming launch of this satellite.”

https://www.govsat.lu/news/govsat-1-arrivesat-cape-canaveral-for-spacex-launch
I just wonder why there's a female humanoid robot standing on top of it with her hands on her hips...
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Online Jakusb

• NL
  • Liked: 1215
  • Likes Given: 637

There was no real logic to it, other then it being stored out in the open.
It was one of the first cores to be stored outside. Hence the conclusion then.
Given it had a real easy profile, it should be perfect for re-use and next in line.

Offline old_sellsword

• Liked: 531
  • Likes Given: 470

I assume you’re talking about the picture of the two cores behind Hangar M from last August?

Those were actually 1029 and 1021. We haven’t seen 1032 since it landed at LZ-1.

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
http://www.spacelaunchreport.com/falcon9ft.html

The reason why I believed B1032 to be mothballed was because in the Falcon 9 Stage Serial Number Log, Ed Kyle listed that the core was mothballed following touchdown.

However, I am aware that it WILL change within this month.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768

The reason why I believed B1032 to be mothballed was because in the Falcon 9 Stage Serial Number Log, Ed Kyle listed that the core was mothballed following touchdown.

No. It is because the Core was stored outside instead of in a hanger like normal.

Offline old_sellsword

• Liked: 531
  • Likes Given: 470

No. It is because the Core was stored outside instead of in a hanger like normal.

Where was it stored?

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768

Where was it stored?
Mainly at Hanger AM.
« Last Edit: 01/12/2018 09:59 pm by russianhalo117 »

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
Moved posts talking about the effects of the government shutdown to:
The impact of a government shutdown on KSC testing

Offline Inoeth

So I may have missed it, but has it been declared one way or the other if this mission will utilize OCISLY or will they dispose of the old Block 3 stage? Given the desire to launch FH in the next week to week and a half, that doesn't leave much of any room to land, return to port and then go out again for the drone ship in the amount of time that SpaceX is talking about for FH, and makes me think they'll get rid of the old stage...

It also makes me wonder if at some point they'll buy/rent another drone ship for the East Coast given the many launches from those two pads that may otherwise necessitate throwing away even Block V cores if the schedule demands it...

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
I haven't seen it announced.

They only have about a dozen east coast flights this year that would need the drone ship.  If the future internet constellation launches can RTLS there really won't be a reason for two drone ships at the Cape.
« Last Edit: 01/25/2018 03:11 am by gongora »

Offline Danrar

• Liked: 114
  • Likes Given: 60
So I may have missed it, but has it been declared one way or the other if this mission will utilize OCISLY or will they dispose of the old Block 3 stage? Given the desire to launch FH in the next week to week and a half, that doesn't leave much of any room to land, return to port and then go out again for the drone ship in the amount of time that SpaceX is talking about for FH, and makes me think they'll get rid of the old stage...

It also makes me wonder if at some point they'll buy/rent another drone ship for the East Coast given the many launches from those two pads that may otherwise necessitate throwing away even Block V cores if the schedule demands it...
Since this will be the second flight for this core I imagine they'll be expending it. From a testing standpoint that center core from FH will be extremely valuable.

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 2762
  • Likes Given: 3369
Since this will be the second flight for this core I imagine they'll be expending it. From a testing standpoint that center core from FH will be extremely valuable.
Plus, there is one (?) centre core at the moment, and many used boosters.

Offline Elthiryel

• Kraków, Poland
  • Liked: 995
  • Likes Given: 12761
From the updates thread:
M1389 GovSat-1 Launch Hazard Areas visualization based on issued NOTMAR.

I couldn't find the issued NOTMAR, but I am not sure where I should look for it, actually. What launch date does the NOTMAR show? Is it still Jan 30th? AFAIR, previously SpaceX required at least 4 days between a static fire and a launch, so they should conduct a static fire NLT tomorrow if they still want to launch on Jan 30th.

EDIT:
I managed to find the NOTMAR here (PDF attached): https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=lnmDistrict&region=7
Primary launch day: 30 / 2118Z thru 31 / 0037Z Jan 18. Preferred T-0 is 2123Z.
Backup launch day: 31 / 2118Z thru 01 / 0037Z Feb 18. Preferred T-0 is 2123Z.

So the planned launch date seems to be unchanged, at least for now.
« Last Edit: 01/25/2018 02:09 pm by Elthiryel »
GO for launch, GO for age of reflight

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography