Author Topic: Dragons impact on HSF market  (Read 16803 times)

Offline Garrett

• France
  • Liked: 128
  • Likes Given: 113
Re: Dragons impact on HSF market
« Reply #20 on: 07/20/2011 02:39 pm »
I would have thought that this proposal was of relevance to the initial poster's questions:
International Space Station Could Get Private Inflatable Room, Space.com, 26 Jan 2011
http://www.space.com/10686-nasa-bigelow-module-international-space-station.html

What I interpret from such a proposal is that a Dragon (or other vehicle) mission to ISS may carry a mixture of NASA and private passengers. The private passengers would be confined to the private module.

Or am I way off the mark? And Jim, please don't answer with a simple "Yes" :p
- "Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist." - Indiana Jones

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #21 on: 07/20/2011 03:11 pm »
2.  no other agency has requirements or a need.

Mircogravity has shown a great deal of promise for biological research due to the fact that bacteria seem more virulent in microgravity.  A manned bio-lab in space would be optimal for carrying out such research if the costs of doing so are more reasonable.

No need, ISS has plenty of space for such experiments and is doing such experiments.  Thus other agencies come to NASA.  There isn't enough US govt justification for more manned volume in space.

The ISS currently has a 6 man crew, and pretty limited lab space.  I am sorry, but I do not think there is much that can be done with such resources.

Huh?  What you think doesn't matter.  You don't even what is involved with space experiments.  It is not limited.  There are open rack spaces.  Experiments are not that big, no more than a bread box.
Personnel are not even needed for most experiments.
« Last Edit: 07/20/2011 03:12 pm by Jim »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #22 on: 07/20/2011 03:13 pm »
I would have thought that this proposal was of relevance to the initial poster's questions:
International Space Station Could Get Private Inflatable Room, Space.com, 26 Jan 2011

What I interpret from such a proposal is that a Dragon (or other vehicle) mission to ISS may carry a mixture of NASA and private passengers. The private passengers would be confined to the private module.

The extra module would not be for tourists

Offline Garrett

• France
  • Liked: 128
  • Likes Given: 113
« Reply #23 on: 07/20/2011 03:51 pm »

The extra module would not be for tourists
Indeed, further Googling indicates that it would be a technology test-bed/storage area. Pity.
- "Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist." - Indiana Jones

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography