Author Topic: The Jason and the Falconauts (Falcon 9/Jason-3) Party Thread  (Read 77337 times)

Offline SpacemanInSPACE

• Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 72
If a Falcon 9 lands in LA, it took a wrong turn somewhere ;)

Such a booster should be renamed The Albuquerque Express.

Should also do a lot to shake the complacency of folks living out there. Or they'll just think there's a film being made.

I take offense! I live a few counties over but I'm coming into the rescue. Yes those folks living in and around Hawthorne are sitting on their hands.  :P
Space is worth it God Damnit!

Offline mtakala24

Hopefully this Falcon has not studied the flight path of a Space Shuttle in the movie "The Core":

Offline JBF

• Liked: 472
  • Likes Given: 914

Hopefully this Falcon has not studied the flight path of a Space Shuttle in the movie "The Core":

Ok that was neat, I must have missed that movie.
"In principle, rocket engines are simple, but that’s the last place rocket engines are ever simple." Jeff Bezos

Offline MattMason

• Space Enthusiast
  • Indiana
  • Liked: 772
  • Likes Given: 2016

You should keep missing that movie. That was probably the less stroke-inducing part.
"Why is the logo on the side of a rocket so important?"
"So you can find the pieces." -Jim, the Steely Eyed

Offline Craftyatom

• Software!
  • Arizona, USA
  • Liked: 720
  • Likes Given: 9169

Well, uh...  I mean...  They got the speed brakes right.  And they did the re-entry burn with OMS, that was factually correct too.
All aboard the HSF hype train!  Choo Choo!

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1545
  • Likes Given: 2052

You should keep missing that movie. That was probably the less stroke-inducing part.

I was going to say that.  It's become my standard of what a horrible SF movie shoul be.
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline HankinNM

• Mountainair, NM
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 29
 :-XI saw 'the Core'.  It kind of reminded me of the 'Journey to the Center of the Earth' movie made in 1959 (from the Jules Vern novel.)  Thankfully, Falcon will be going the other way.
Not an engineer or a mathematician.  Just a rabid space/astronomy freak and Spacex 'groupie'.

Online Bubbinski

The Core made 2012 look plausible and realistic.

Anyway I would hope neither movie is shown on the IFE when the MCT flies passengers!

Back on topic getting ready to book my flight to CA to go see the launch!
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5971
  • Likes Given: 700

And this documentary is the reason Los Angeles is the permanent display home of Endeavour. ;)

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
See, they can land the stage in LA!!!

...and the local riff raff will have it up on cinderblocks in no time ;)
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline ChefPat

• Earth, for now
  • Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 1022
I'm watching "Jason & the Argonauts" on AMC as I type this. I'll impatiently for the "real" Jason to launch while doing so. :D

Playing Politics with Commercial Crew is Un-American!!!

Offline LaunchedIn68

• Deer Park, NY
  • Liked: 151
  • Likes Given: 448
I'm watching "Jason & the Argonauts" on AMC as I type this. I'll impatiently for the "real" Jason to launch while doing so. :D

Why do I suddenly have visions of a giant stop motion Jeff Bezos (ala Ray Harryhausen) attacking the Falcon on the launch pad, while superimposed SpaceX employees run around in panic shooting arrows at him?

Well, if this time the Falcon explodes on landing, we can just superimpose the ships from Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers and say it got zapped!

People of Earth Attention.....People of Earth Attention.... ;D
"I want to build a spaceship, go to the moon, salvage all the junk that's up there, bring it back, sell it." - Harry Broderick

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
Watch out for those "skeleton guys"... ;D
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 8746
Just wait until the two Harpies named "Boeing" and "Lock-Mart" show up to try and steal all the food!
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline Antilope7724

• Watched Freedom 7 on live TV
  • California
  • Liked: 278
  • Likes Given: 247
See, they could have just landed the Endeavour in the L.A. river** instead of cutting down all the trees on the boulevard on the way to the museum.

**The "L.A. river" is the name of that dry concrete canal in the movie. The L.A. river was once a very small river or large creek that flows from the nearby mountains to the ocean through parts of Los Angeles. Usually mostly dry, except for the Oct-April rainy season. Thunderstorms over the nearby mountains can quickly fill the "river" almost to the top. Over the years, the L.A. river has been totally lined with concrete in the name of "flood control".
« Last Edit: 12/30/2015 02:26 am by Antilope7724 »

Online Bubbinski

Well I'm headed to the party in Lompoc. Got my flight, car, motel all booked :) now to find a good spot to see the launch (and landing?)
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline Heinrich

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 140
To add to the soundtrack:
(Adje) Vandenberg, Burning Heart.

Offline macpacheco

• Vitoria-ES-Brazil
  • Liked: 368
  • Likes Given: 3041
T-2 weeks and (anxiously) counting.
Looking for companies doing great things for much more than money

Offline Darkseraph

• Liked: 475
  • Likes Given: 152
Have SpaceX actually confirmed they intend to land the last V1.1 Falcon9 used on this mission?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." R.P.Feynman

Offline AndrewM

• Global Moderator
  • United States
  • Liked: 256
  • Likes Given: 751
I leave for a dive trip on the 9th and get back on the 16th so hopefully nothing goes wrong so I can watch the launch.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography