Author Topic: LIVE: Soyuz-FG launch and Soyuz TMA-19M docking - December 15, 2015  (Read 106038 times)

Offline owais.usmani

• Liked: 368
  • Likes Given: 582
http://www.russianspaceweb.com/iss-soyuz-tma19m.html#culprit

Although there was no immediate official explanation for the aborted automated rendezvous between the Soyuz TMA-19M and the ISS, a commentator at the Novosti Kosmonavtiki magazine quickly narrowed down a culprit in the failure of the DPO-B No. 20 attitude-control thruster. This small engine is a part of the two independent engine clusters known as Circuit 1 and Circuit 2. Distributed around the ship's instrument module, PAO, both groups of small engines are used to fine-tune the spacecraft's orientation in space and to conduct low-thrust maneuvers. The particular engine provides a sideway thrust along -Y axis in the ship's coordinate system.

As the available video and audio footage reveals, at a distance of around 17 meters from the station, an alarm sounded in the Soyuz's cockpit, while the overlay display on the rendezvous camera showed "No SDK (combustion chamber pressure or valve signal) along -Y axis (K1B)." The K1B likely stands for Collector 1 (Circuit 1). That alarm was followed by another warning, which can be translated as "Total failure of the K1B circuit." In addition, the "A: DPOB 20" message, indicating a problem with the particular thruster and the numeric code for the failure type was also displayed.

Immediately thereafter, the Soyuz began backing away from the station still under the automated control. Malenchenko reported to mission control that the crew received the DPOB 20-type failure.

For a reason yet to be explained, the automated system apparently failed to switch to a backup circuit available just for such a contingency.

After switching to manual controls, it took the Soyuz commander two attempts to put the spacecraft into right orientation and complete the docking. During the first try, the spacecraft began a seemingly faster-than-normal approach to the station and then, suddenly, turned sideways just meters from the docking port and deviated from its approach.

Fortunately, Malenchenko quickly managed to stabilize the spacecraft, restore its alignment with docking port on the Rassvet module and complete the second manual docking attempt.

Shortly after docking, Malenchenko explained mission control that during his first manual approach attempt he could not see the docking port clear enough and only realized the problem at the last minute.

According to the Novosti Kosmonavtiki magazine, a similar problem with DPO thrusters also prevented an automated docking of the Progress M-05M cargo ship in 2010 and required the crew onboard the station to use the remote control to complete the process.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
You know, there was an anecdote (perhaps a myth?) out there from back in the Mir days, that the cosmonauts didn't get paid a whole lot of money -- but got "commissions" or "bonuses" for performing various procedures in flight, if they became necessary.  One of these was for performing a manual docking in the event of a KURS failure.

The anecdote was that several Soyuz commanders would turn off the KURS once everything was well lined up, report a "KURS failure," manually complete the docking, and pocket their bonus for it once they got back home.

I just wanted to point out that the observed dynamics during this approach absolutely confirm that there was a thruster issue, and that, even if there was still such a bonus system in place (and I'm fairly certain there is not), this isn't a situation where Yuri pulled the fast-and-loose "Oh, we've got a KURS failure, chuckle" maneuver.

Am I right in thinking that the Soyuz can be controlled satisfactorily for separation and de-orbit maneuvering, even with this thruster issue?  We're not going to see an unmanned Soyuz launch to send up a replacement for this one, are we?
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline A12

• ROME, ITALY
  • Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 487
So, was there a thruster failure AND a KURS failure, being the latter unable to keep the control ?
(switching to the backup thruster)

In any case, good for Yuri that got a chance to fly in first person the vehicle (and earn the bonus :-) )
« Last Edit: 12/16/2015 08:11 pm by A12 »

Offline Apollo-phill

• UK
  • Liked: 245
  • Likes Given: 6
For UK readers interest, part of the Soyuz rocket that launched Tim Peake to the ISS   (rocket body labelled 2015-076B ) is expected to re-enter the Earth's atmosphere and "burn up"   sometime between Thursday  17th to Friday  18th December 2015.

The "best" prediction is that this will occur over North America at 23:30 GMT on Thursday but due to a 10 hour plus/minus    uncertainty  in these predictions re-entry might even occur over lower SW England , Celtic Sea and English Channel.

A-P

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
https://twitter.com/astro_timpeake/status/677618477939716101
An unusual view of our #SoyuzTMA19M launch, taken by an airline pilot flying from Seoul to Frankfurt!

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2345
  • Likes Given: 2060
That's a cool plume!
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline owais.usmani

• Liked: 368
  • Likes Given: 582
http://russianspaceweb.com/iss-soyuz-tma19m.html#probe

According to veterans of the Russian space program who witnessed the failed manual docking attempt between the Soyuz TMA-19M spacecraft and the ISS, a potential disaster was narrowly avoided which is reminiscent of the nearly catastrophic collision between the Mir space station and a Progress cargo ship in
« Last Edit: 12/18/2015 02:55 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Space Pete

ISS really dodged a bullet here, this could so easily have been very nasty indeed.

I remember when I was watching the docking live that I instantly thought that the closure rate was way too high during the first manual approach, and that was before the alignment was lost. My big fear at the time was that TMA-19M was going to impact the Progress on DC-1.

It certainly makes me think about the wisdom of having a vehicle docking in between two protrusions from the ISS structure (DC-1/Progress on one side, and Cygnus on the other), because it really doesn't leave much room for error in terms of lateral deviations during docking.

Perhaps in future it would be a good idea during MRM-1 dockings to close the hatches between the ISS and any vehicle on Node 1 Nadir, and also between the ISS and DC-1. That way if ever there was an impact with any of those modules/vehicles, while they would almost certainly be lost, there would be less chance of an explosive decompression of the entire ISS as a result. Not saying it eliminates the risk, just reduces it.
« Last Edit: 12/18/2015 08:50 am by Space Pete »
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 955
  • Likes Given: 368
At the peak of the crisis, the flight director for the Russian segment of the ISS Vladimir Soloviev, himself a veteran of two space missions and a towering figure in the Russian space establishment, called on the crew, essentially jumping over both, the head of the on-duty team, SRP, and the chief communications officer. Although Soloviev is well known for his hands-on management style, critics charged that his involvement could place an undue sense of urgency on Malenchenko, at a time when a calm and collected response was needed. As a result, Malenchenko failed to do something he had done hundreds of times in the simulator, critics charged. Fortunately, within minutes after the near collision, Malenchenko was able to stabilize the spacecraft and complete the second manual docking attempt successfully

I do not understand what Anatoliy Zak talks here about. In the docking video we can hear that Vladimir Solovyov has told to Yuriy Malenchenko only this: "Yuriy, let's switch to the manual approaching". That is all. There are no words anymore from Solovyov during two manual docking attempts. There is no pressure from Solovyov at all, only GCTC instructor and TsUP communicator talked with Malenchenko.

Offline saturnapollo

• Edinburgh, UK
    • Space Models Photography
  • Liked: 230
  • Likes Given: 10
It certainly makes me think about the wisdom of having a vehicle docking in between two protrusions from the ISS structure (DC-1/Progress on one side, and Cygnus on the other), because it really doesn't leave much room for error in terms of lateral deviations during docking.

It certainly does look tight. However if the alignment if off so much by the time you reach that point in the docking that you are in danger of impacting either, then the crew have probably left it too late to back out and not hit part of the station itself. That close in the alignment has to be so perfect that there will be plenty of room either side of the Soyuz - not sure but the thrusters have probably been inhibited at the point due to the proximity to the station.The crew should be in a position to abort the docking due to a misalignment long before they get anywhere near either vehicle (as they did in this case).

Keith

Offline DMeader

• Liked: 103
  • Likes Given: 48
So, bottom line, was there almost a high-speed-out-of-control collision between the Soyuz and ISS or not? Russian Space Web is sure pushing it like there was.

Offline Nicolas PILLET

• Gien, France
    • Kosmonavtika
  • Liked: 670
  • Likes Given: 134
So, bottom line, was there almost a high-speed-out-of-control collision between the Soyuz and ISS or not?

Nothing was out of control.
Nicolas PILLET
Kosmonavtika : The French site on Russian Space

Offline DMeader

• Liked: 103
  • Likes Given: 48
So, bottom line, was there almost a high-speed-out-of-control collision between the Soyuz and ISS or not?

Nothing was out of control.

Thank you. I didn't think so.

Offline Nicolas PILLET

• Gien, France
    • Kosmonavtika
  • Liked: 670
  • Likes Given: 134
At any moment, Soyuz commander was able to retreat his spaceship using DPO thrusters.
Nicolas PILLET
Kosmonavtika : The French site on Russian Space

Offline AJA

• Per Aspera Ad Ares, Per Aspera Ad Astra
  • India
  • Liked: 146
  • Likes Given: 212
<...links to Soyuz docking videos..>
I came across this tweet earlier, and went and watched the docking video to confirm... and you can indeed see the arrays fluttering!

Is this because of RCS plume impingement? Or were the arrays being rotated at that time (with the flutter being caused due to that motion)?
« Last Edit: 12/19/2015 05:18 pm by AJA »

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
ISS really dodged a bullet here, this could so easily have been very nasty indeed.

I remember when I was watching the docking live that I instantly thought that the closure rate was way too high during the first manual approach, and that was before the alignment was lost. My big fear at the time was that TMA-19M was going to impact the Progress on DC-1.

Perhaps in future it would be a good idea during MRM-1 dockings to close the hatches between the ISS and any vehicle on Node 1 Nadir, and also between the ISS and DC-1. That way if ever there was an impact with any of those modules/vehicles, while they would almost certainly be lost, there would be less chance of an explosive decompression of the entire ISS as a result. Not saying it eliminates the risk, just reduces it.

Rather than "dodging a bullet" I feel it illustrates the inherent risk associated with any and all docking/berthing activities and how protocol was followed to allow a re-approach and a safe/successful docking.  If there was an actual collision, then I would agree with "bullet dodging", of course, depending on the outcome of said collision.
All docking and berthing operations have the potential to "easily be very nasty".

If there was the choice, I think a collision with another docked vehicle would be chosen over collision with ISS structure itself.

Uncontrolled decompression is always a risk.  "Explosive Decompression" is obviously a worse case scenario resulting from collision, but the chances of explosive decompression from docking/berthing gone wrong would be small.   Collision in the context of space vehicles, always results in damage- the extent of that damage can vary, from a scratch to much worse.  Mir took a few hits over the years and only the June 25, 1997 collision resulted in any sort of decompression.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
But enough of all this collision talk, there was no bullets dodged, there wasn't even a near miss.  An approach to docking was made, then rejected, tried again and successful.  Sorry media folks, and doomsday types, nothing to see here.
Paul

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7405
  • Likes Given: 72501
For UK readers interest, part of the Soyuz rocket that launched Tim Peake to the ISS   (rocket body labelled 2015-076B ) is expected to re-enter the Earth's atmosphere and "burn up"   sometime between Thursday  17th to Friday  18th December 2015.

The "best" prediction is that this will occur over North America at 23:30 GMT on Thursday but due to a 10 hour plus/minus    uncertainty  in these predictions re-entry might even occur over lower SW England , Celtic Sea and English Channel.

A-P

Ted Molczan reports on Seesat-l: Re-entry of Soyuz TMA-19M rocket body seen from Newfoundland and Labrador
The re-entry of 2015-076B / 41125 was widely observed from Newfoundland and Labrador, on 2015 Dec 17, near 20:30 UTC (17:00 local time). It was the rocket body of the recent launch of Soyuz TMA-19M. It was the model 11S510, which has an empty mass of 2410 kg.

He posts further data here: http://www.satobs.org/seesat/Dec-2015/0112.html
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography