Author Topic: Year In Review, 2017 (Part 3): Exoplanets finally show our solar system is not u  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline CuddlyRocket

Well, our solar system is still unique as it's the only known system that harbours life!

As for the number of planets, it seems likely that Kepler-90 will have additional planets in its further reaches. If so, it will surpass the solar system (unless Brown & Batygin manage to confirm the existence of Planet Nine!). But it takes time to confirm the existence of planets on longer period orbits. However, both transit and radial velocity surveys have been going for some time now, so they should start picking up planets in such orbits soon. Though it's possible (but, I submit, highly unlikely) that our solar system is unique in having such long period planets!

Offline jebbo

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 608
  • Likes Given: 309
As for the number of planets, it seems likely that Kepler-90 will have additional planets in its further reaches. If so, it will surpass the solar system (unless Brown & Batygin manage to confirm the existence of Planet Nine!). But it takes time to confirm the existence of planets on longer period orbits. However, both transit and radial velocity surveys have been going for some time now, so they should start picking up planets in such orbits soon. Though it's possible (but, I submit, highly unlikely) that our solar system is unique in having such long period planets!

We can't get RV data (yet), the star is too dim / far away (magnitude 14)

--- Tony

Offline CuddlyRocket

We can't get RV data (yet), the star is too dim / far away (magnitude 14)

Poor writing on my part there. I meant at 'However' to switch from the particular case of Kepler-90 to searches for exoplanets in general. Sorry for the confusion! :)

Offline Alpha_Centauri

• England
  • Liked: 336
  • Likes Given: 158
There are already quite a few long-period radial velocity planets known. So we know they're out there, and Gaia should detect many thousands of distant Jovians.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography