Author Topic: Mobile version of NSF  (Read 113090 times)

Offline IslandPlaya

• Outer Hebrides
  • Liked: 164
  • Likes Given: 166
Re: Mobile version of NSF
« Reply #60 on: 12/15/2014 08:23 pm »
I recommend Chrome on any device/OS

Offline MP99

« Reply #61 on: 12/16/2014 06:58 am »
Yeah, that's exactly the browser that has the issue for me.

Cheers, Martin

Offline MP99

« Reply #62 on: 12/16/2014 07:04 am »
Tapatalk has just released a new version that has absolutely destroyed its functionality. It's just absolutely shocking,  and their devs are clearly a bunch of utter idiots (I'm self-censoring here).

Heads up - expect a lot more traffic on this theme!

Cheers, Martin

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #63 on: 01/05/2015 02:27 pm »
Dumb question, Chris feel free to delete/move/answer. On my android 4.4.2 SCH-I545 Build / KOT49H Chrome 39.0.2171.93 I accidentally clicked the view full site button and now can no longer get back to the mobile version. Anyone know how to get back to the mobile version? It grows on you, but I kinda like it better when using the phone.

Thanks,
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Tomness

• Into the abyss will I run
  • Liked: 289
  • Likes Given: 737
« Reply #64 on: 01/05/2015 02:35 pm »
Dumb question, Chris feel free to delete/move/answer. On my android 4.4.2 SCH-I545 Build / KOT49H Chrome 39.0.2171.93 I accidentally clicked the view full site button and now can no longer get back to the mobile version. Anyone know how to get back to the mobile version? It grows on you, but I kinda like it better when using the phone.

Thanks,
Click the Mobile tab at the very bottom of the full-verision & that should put back to mobile

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #65 on: 01/05/2015 03:38 pm »
Click the Mobile tab at the very bottom of the full-verision & that should put back to mobile
Thanks,

Broke out the microscope and finally found it. It is tiny text at the bottom of the screen. I was looking for a button or something equivalent. Completely missed the text.
« Last Edit: 01/05/2015 03:39 pm by kevin-rf »
It's your med's!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #66 on: 01/05/2015 04:44 pm »
Heh! That really did require three arrows! We'll look at solving that, especially as we need to make it (c) 2015 on the site tags.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #67 on: 01/05/2015 06:02 pm »
Doh! Just reminded me I need to do the annual updating of copyrights on my projects.
It's your med's!

Offline MP99

« Reply #68 on: 01/09/2015 11:24 pm »
Heh! That really did require three arrows! We'll look at solving that, especially as we need to make it (c) 2015 on the site tags.

If you come to NSF on a mobile browser, that browser identifies itself to the server, and the mobile version of the site is rendered.

On Android, the three browsers that I use (Chrome, Firefox, and  "Internet") all have an option where they can override the default and instead "request desktop site", or similar. Unfortunately, NSF's mobile theme ignores the "hey, give me the desktop site" request, and gives the mobile version again.

It would be a superb usability enhancement if this could switch over to the desktop theme, and back again.

Cheers, Martin

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #69 on: 01/11/2015 06:15 am »

If you come to NSF on a mobile browser, that browser identifies itself to the server, and the mobile version of the site is rendered.

On Android, the three browsers that I use (Chrome, Firefox, and  "Internet") all have an option where they can override the default and instead "request desktop site", or similar. Unfortunately, NSF's mobile theme ignores the "hey, give me the desktop site" request, and gives the mobile version again.

It would be a superb usability enhancement if this could switch over to the desktop theme, and back again.

Cheers, Martin

I'm currently using a new (to me) Kindle Fire HD, which is replacing my three year old Kindle Fire.  Both tablets use a version of the special Kindle edition of Android, with the old Fire using an older version of it.  Its proprietary browser is called Silk.  With Silk on the new Fire HD, I got an initial offer (read more like a requirement) to download and use Tapatalk to access the forums.  Took two tries to convince it I didn't want to install Tapatalk.  It then displayed the mobile version of the site, but near the bottom of the mobile version's home page there was a link labeled "View full site".  This brought up the regular full site I can see on my desktop PC, and it operates exactly like the site operates on my PC using Chrome under Win7.

Now if I could only get Silk to run Flash Player, I'd be a very happy.camper, as there area number of websites I enjoy that require Flash (not the least of which is the NASA TV streaming video functions).  But, except for the wording of the Tapatalk offer dialog, which really made it sound like you couldn't use the site any other way, I'm finding the full site works quite well through Silk.

I hope that is useful data for y'all.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline MP99

« Reply #70 on: 01/11/2015 09:06 am »

It then displayed the mobile version of the site, but near the bottom of the mobile version's home page there was a link labeled "View full site".  This brought up the regular full site I can see on my desktop PC, and it operates exactly like the site operates on my PC using Chrome under Win7.

This is the link highlighted in post #66.

Cheers, Martin

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #71 on: 01/11/2015 05:51 pm »
Yeah, I wasn't focused on the full site link.  I was able to find that fairly easily.  I was more trying to document the process I saw when I first accessed the site on my new Kindle.  The only glitch, if you want to call it that, I found in the process was how aggressively it was pushing me to use Tapatalk, to the point of acting like it didn't believe me when I tried to tell it I didn't want to use it.

Nothing aggravates me more than software that refuses to believe I don't want to use (or especially purchase) it.  That is, to my mind, an unethical marketing ploy, and unless I find that i have been given absolutely no choice, I will put products presented in that fashion onto my "never, ever use" list.  Tell me why it's to my advantage to use your product, don't try to strong-arm me into using it, or worse, lie to me and tell me I have no choice.  I always have a choice, and pushing me like that almost guarantees my choice will not favor your product.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline hkultala

• Liked: 748
  • Likes Given: 945
« Reply #72 on: 01/11/2015 08:33 pm »
I have scrolling issues on my ipad mini, default safari browser.

When I start scrolling, nothing happens for first half or one second. Only then it starts scrolling.
But my finger has already moved halfway thorugh the screen and I can only scroll very little amount at time.

NSF mobile version is the _only site_ where I have this kind of problems. The full version of the site works without problems.

Offline mn

• United States
  • Liked: 872
  • Likes Given: 333
« Reply #73 on: 04/28/2015 04:23 pm »
L2 bug... In the mobile browser, when you're on the last page in a public thread at the bottom you'll see the back arrow to the left of the page number selector. When you're on the last page in an L2 thread, you'll see the back arrow, the page number selector, and then the forward arrow. Pressing forward takes you to page 1. I like the first style better as you'll know it's the end of the thread.

It's not just L2, it just depends on how many pages there are in the thread, once you get past a certain page number it stops showing the 'all' option.

But when the 'all' option is available, the mobile site shows the 'next page' arrow, and there is no way of knowing if hitting that will take you to the next page or to all pages.

PLEASE PLEASE take the 'next page' arrow out of the mobile site when 'next' means 'all', (I rarely use the 'all' option, but if it must be there, please make it look different).

I understand the problem is that the logic that renders the next arrow just sees that there is another entry in the paging dropdown, perhaps the simplest solution would be to remove the 'all' option from the dropdown, just make it a separate link when available, (there is plenty of room for "Go to page:", 'prev', dropdown, 'next' - and 'all' when available.

TY

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8565
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #74 on: 06/20/2015 04:39 pm »
I just began encountering this problem in recent days.  When I try to access the Forum on my iPhone 5 via. Safari browser, it won't open and gives an error "Safari cannot open the page because too many redirects occurred".  Forum still works on Firefox via. laptop.  I was always able to open the Forum on Safari before.  I haven't done any recent updates, etc. 

- Ed Kyle

Offline MP99

« Reply #75 on: 01/13/2016 10:42 am »
I'm having an issue with the mobile version of the site via Android Chrome (39.0.2171.93) on a Galaxy Note 8.0 (N5120) running Android 4.4.2 . If I try to reply to a thread, the text box is greyed out, and not editable. This makes it impossible to post from the mobile theme. It's been like this for some time, TBH.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7d3jzidvi7vaq3t/2014-12-15%2009.48.50.png?dl=0

It seems to work from Firefox Android (34.0) on this device.

It also seems to work OK on my phone (Galaxy Grand Duos, I9082), on Android 4.2.2. This is running exactly the same version of Chrome, so my first hunch is this is somehow related to Android 4.4 over 4.2.

I'm not really sure that the text box looks right when it's greyed out. I'd perhaps expect this to have a white background if it can take user input. Not sure if this is related in some way to the issue I'm having?

Cheers, Martin

Oh, BTW, this is still not working on my tablet 13 months later.

Can't reply via the mobile theme because the text box is greyed out and won't accept input from the keyboard.

Cheers, Martin

Offline Yaakov001

• Sioux City
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #76 on: 01/17/2016 11:18 pm »
Well, for lack of a better place to put it, I thought I'd put it here. Hello from your latest member. I'm Ya'akov, from Sioux City, IA. Just thought I'd greet you all. Please note that I have a tablet, a Kindle, & a Basic Phone using the WAP2 interface. If you go to the bottom of the page & click on the small word "WAP2", you'll switch your computer to see how primitive it is. It also has character/space limits, hence the need for me to abbreviate & use symbols. Also, long posts may take 2 or more entries. Also note that I'm on a phone keypad, so answers do take a bit of time. But it is great to be here. Mostly I shall be on my phone rather than my tablet or Kindle. My computer died after serving a good life. Now when I need 1 I use my wife's, but not for social stuff like this. Anyway, hello. Good to meet all of you!

Offline Crispy

• London
  • Liked: 783
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #77 on: 05/26/2017 09:19 am »
No matter what I do, I can't get my logins to stick on the mobile site. "always stay logged in" or setting "stay logged in for" to some gigantic number do nothing and I find myself logged out after a few hours of inactivity.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #78 on: 05/26/2017 12:28 pm »
Sounds like your cookie settings, Crispy.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Tomness

• Into the abyss will I run
  • Liked: 289
  • Likes Given: 737
« Reply #79 on: 06/02/2017 09:09 pm »
Hi team, today on android chrome I get session has expired & won't let me login on mobile, I cleared cache & cookies  & still same issues, I ended up  going to full site & login in, that works, & went back to mobile

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography