Author Topic: Post STP-1 Launch Questions  (Read 4650 times)

Offline askbill

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Post STP-1 Launch Questions
« on: 03/09/2007 03:41 am »
Howdy all.

While I was at the Port, I managed to pull up the live web feed to listen in.  This generated some questions, some I'm sure are very newbie-esq, but hey, that's what I am.  =)  And in no particular order...

1- I had the NASA countdown page loaded and I saw 2 different times, L - and T -.  What are these 2 times?

2- What is a "Jolly?"  My guess was a heilo.  There was a Navy gentleman nearby that believed it may have been a small vessel.  

3- When we hear "Range is Red" what exactly is the Range comprised of.  What are the things that can make it go red.

4- There was chatter about the radio interference.  They mentioned that a heilo was sent out to communicate with some navy vessel to deal with that issue (it was hard to hear, but this was what I pieced together).  Is that accurate?  Moreover, what aircraft are allowed in the airspace and what are they doing?

Thanks a bunch in advance.  I really appreciate you all.  You add a new dimension to the launches.  =)

Bill

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1300
  • Likes Given: 779
RE: Post STP-1 Launch Questions
« Reply #1 on: 03/09/2007 03:48 am »
Anyone got the mass of the Astro satellite? (the big half of Orbital Express)
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1300
  • Likes Given: 779
RE: Post STP-1 Launch Questions
« Reply #2 on: 03/09/2007 03:53 am »
askbill - 8/3/2007  11:41 PM

Howdy all.

While I was at the Port, I managed to pull up the live web feed to listen in.  This generated some questions, some I'm sure are very newbie-esq, but hey, that's what I am.  =)  And in no particular order...

1- I had the NASA countdown page loaded and I saw 2 different times, L - and T -.  What are these 2 times?

2- What is a "Jolly?"  My guess was a heilo.  There was a Navy gentleman nearby that believed it may have been a small vessel.  

3- When we hear "Range is Red" what exactly is the Range comprised of.  What are the things that can make it go red.

4- There was chatter about the radio interference.  They mentioned that a heilo was sent out to communicate with some navy vessel to deal with that issue (it was hard to hear, but this was what I pieced together).  Is that accurate?  Moreover, what aircraft are allowed in the airspace and what are they doing?

Thanks a bunch in advance.  I really appreciate you all.  You add a new dimension to the launches.  =)

Bill

L- is the true time until the launch. T- is the time on the countdown, which doesn't include planned hold times.
So if there is a planned countdown hold at L-30min for 10 min, then at L-31 min it's T-21 min; at L-30 it's T-20; it stays
at T-20 for 10 min until you reach L-20, then L-20 and T-20 go down to zero together.

Range is red: it can be red for weather; it can be red if the command destruct system isn't working right (they have to be
able to blow the rocket up if it goes off course) or if a tracking antenna is broken (they have to know whether or not it IS off course)
or if a boat or plane has stupidly gone into the danger zone...

I can't help you with 2 and 4.
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline yinzer

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 3
Re: Post STP-1 Launch Questions
« Reply #3 on: 03/09/2007 04:01 am »
2: Definitely a helicopter.  Possibly the HH-3 Jolly Green Giant.
California 2008 - taking rights from people and giving rights to chickens.

Offline landofgrey

• Recovering rocket scientist, currently media
  • Living the dream in Cape Canaveral
  • KSC / CCAFS / Melbourne, FL
    • ARES Institute, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: 03/09/2007 04:15 am »
The jolly's are the two helicopters that patrol the launch hazard area looking for any boats or aircraft in the danger zone. They also provide security.

Twitter: @spacearium; YouTube: spacearium

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #5 on: 03/09/2007 05:42 am »
The Jollys are BlackHawks.  Yes, Range guys like to pun on "get my Jollys."  Sometimes there is a Cessna 337 up there too out of Patrick, USAF designation O-2 IIRC.  They're referred to as Bats.  Shuttle launches merit F-15s and F-16s as CAP.  There were Apaches up for the October 2001 STS launch.  All told, up to 16 different aircraft types are available as Range aircraft.

The Range is the collection of tracking and telemetry assets necessary for a rocket launch.  Most critical is the destruct function, necessary if the rocket loses control.  I used to think the Range was a bad thing, but if the Range "sends functions" as they say it's because the rocket was already broken and not going to make mission anyway.  That's better than hitting Disney or someone's townhouse.  There have to be antennas and transmitters capable of seeing the rocket flight until it achieves orbital velocity.  Certain assets are mandatory.  If they have a hardware problem, launch is delayed until they can fix it.  They've got lots of spare parts and can usually get back up within an hour or so.  The Range is operated by the DoD/USAF.

Interference from Navy exercises was just a hypothesis.  Ultimately the Range could not determine the source of the 421MHz interference and would have called a hold had it come up again during terminal count.  Some folks didn't see the interference that caused the delay and hypothesized that it was a ploy to emphasize the need to switch frequencies which has been an on-again/off-again thing the last few years.
« Last Edit: 05/27/2010 08:47 pm by Antares »
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline askbill

« Reply #6 on: 03/09/2007 06:38 am »
You guys are all great.  Thanks for the fantastic answers.  I'm learning something new with every launch.  =]

Bill

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21539
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #7 on: 03/09/2007 07:24 am »
L - is launch minus   It is the actual time until launch.  It takes into account all holds.
T - is Time minus.   It is the countdown time.  There may be holds in the countdown to catch up on work or to provide a time to do status checks before entering the terminal countdown.

The shuttle countdown is "only" 43 hours but takes 4 days.  There are many holds.  The shuttle does this so that the same tasks occur at the same T- time.  

Offline Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Geręs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1995
  • Likes Given: 1166
« Reply #8 on: 03/09/2007 09:11 pm »
Looks like I've used the wrong thread to pose this question so here it goes again (and sorry for the duplication :( ):

"There are two MEPSI picosats abord STPSat-1. Does anyone knows when this two will be released?"

Thanks!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography