Author Topic: GPS III Program - General Thread  (Read 14791 times)

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13700
  • Likes Given: 5871
GPS III Program - General Thread
« on: 01/11/2019 07:26 pm »
There have been many GPS III threads over the years but I didn't see any obvious place to post program updates and tie everything together.  If you notice any other GPS III/OCX threads lying around please post a link here.

Other GPS III Threads on NSF:
Boeing to Submit Proposal for Global Positioning System III (Jul. 2007)
Lockheed Martin on schedule for GPS III PDR (Mar. 2009)
U.S. Air Force Awards Contract to Lockheed Martin for GPS III Launch and Checkou (Jan. 2012)
GPS-III delays and cost over runs (Apr. 2012)
Lockheed Martin Team Completes dPDR for Next GPS III Satellite Capabilities (May 2013)
U.S. Air Force Awards Lockheed Martin Contracts for Next Set of GPS III Sats (May 2013)
Thermal Vacuum Test Validates Lockheed Martin's GPS III Satellite Design (Feb. 2016)
LM/USAF Move Forward with Ground System Upgrade to Support Contingency GPS 3 Ops (Dec. 2016)
Air Force Plans $10 Billion GPS III Contest Amid Lockheed Delays (Nov. 2017)
Lockheed Martin Submits Proposal for U.S. Air Force's GPS IIIF Program (Apr. 2018)
Lockheed Martin awarded a $1,36 Billion contract for GPS IIIF SV 11 & 12 (Sep. 2018)

Launch Contracting Threads:
GPS III Launch Services Draft Request for Proposal Released (May 2015)
USAF releases GPS III launch RFP (Sep. 2015)
Next GPS III Launch Contest Begins (Aug. 2016)
Draft RFP for six AF launches (FA8811-17-R-0004) May 3, 2017 (May 2017)
RFP For Five Air Force Launches : GPS x 3, AFSPC-8, AFSPC-12 (FA8811-17-R-0004) (Jul. 2017)

Launch Mission Threads:
SpaceX Falcon 9 : GPS III SV01 : SLC-40 : Dec. 23, 2018 - DISCUSSION
ULA Delta IV : GPS III SV02 : SLC-37 : Aug. 22, 2019
SpaceX Falcon 9 : GPS III-3 : Cape Canaveral : April 2020
SpaceX Falcon 9 : GPS III SV04 : 2020

Update on ground control systems
[Space News] Air Force to upgrade existing GPS ground control system while next-generation OCX lags
The Air Force on Dec. 21 announced a $462 million contract award to Lockheed Martin to continue the modernization of the GPS ground control system that the company has been maintaining since 2013. The upgrades will allow the Air Force to operate the GPS 3 constellation with the existing ground system until 2025, Lockheed Martin said in a Jan. 10 news release.
The upgrades that Lockheed Martin will make to the legacy ground control system ensure that the positioning, navigation and timing missions of the new GPS 3 constellation can be performed with or without OCX.
The upgraded system will support the military M-code, a secure anti-jam GPS signal that the Air Force plans to deploy in 2020. Lockheed Martin said the improvements include engineering modifications to the ground control system, including antennas and information networks. The upgrades funded in this contract will cover six Air Force GPS monitoring sites.
« Last Edit: 04/05/2020 09:37 pm by gongora »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7293
  • Likes Given: 70076
Re: GPS III Program - General Thread
« Reply #1 on: 04/05/2020 09:19 pm »
Raytheon to replace OCX hardware by 2022 for $378 million, dated March 31

Under the agreement, Raytheon was awarded a $378 million modification to its existing OCX contract to remove the system’s IBM computers and install new Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) hardware.

“The contract modification will require Raytheon to replace IBM equipment with HPE equipment for all OCX Block 1 deliverable environments” by April 30, 2022, said the March 31 contract announcement.

Total cumulative value of Raytheon's OCX contract = $3.7 billion
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 06/30/2020 01:26 am »
Cross post re: GPS III-4 launch and following GPS III satellites:
This was in a recent GAO report on DoD programs[published and publicly released on June 3, 2020]:
Additionally, the office stated that the third GPS III satellite arrived in in Florida in preparation for a no earlier-than June 2020 launch; the fourth GPS III satellite is on track for a late 2020 launch; and satellites five through 10 are in various stages of production.

I know they said earlier this year that they were still intending to launch three GPS sats this year, but I'll be really shocked if that happens.  There doesn't seem to be any urgent reason to rush the launches.  Last time I looked the launch for SV06 wasn't even funded yet.
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline Bean Kenobi

• Liked: 364
  • Likes Given: 241
« Reply #3 on: 06/30/2020 10:07 am »
This was in a recent GAO report on DoD programs[published and publicly released on June 3, 2020]:
Additionally, the office stated that the third GPS III satellite arrived in in Florida in preparation for a no earlier-than June 2020 launch; the fourth GPS III satellite is on track for a late 2020 launch; and satellites five through 10 are in various stages of production.

I know they said earlier this year that they were still intending to launch three GPS sats this year, but I'll be really shocked if that happens.  There doesn't seem to be any urgent reason to rush the launches.  Last time I looked the launch for SV06 wasn't even funded yet.

Are you sure SV06 is not funded ?

SV08 is already built : https://www.losangeles.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/2215676/gps-iii-sv-08-core-mate-complete-space-vehicle-named-for-nasa-trailblazer/

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13700
  • Likes Given: 5871
« Reply #4 on: 06/30/2020 01:39 pm »

SV08 is already built : https://www.losangeles.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/2215676/gps-iii-sv-08-core-mate-complete-space-vehicle-named-for-nasa-trailblazer/

This is the contract for launches 4-6.  The third launch hasn't been committed yet.  There was a mention somewhere from the Air Force that they still needed to get funding for it.  (I also think the total amount shown there might be an error, I mentioned that in a previous post in one of the GPS or manifest threads.)

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 07/01/2020 02:05 am »
U.S. military makes adjustments in GPS launch to allow for SpaceX booster landing, dated June 29
The military has contracted with SpaceX to launch the fourth, fifth and sixth GPS 3 satellites. Assuming the launch of GPS SV03 goes according to plan, the SV04 mission could launch from Cape Canaveral on a Falcon 9 rocket as soon as Sept. 30, according to the Space and Missile Systems Center.

The GPS SV05 spacecraft is scheduled for launch on a Falcon 9 rocket in January.
<snip>
[Tonya Ladwig, acting vice president of Lockheed Martin’s navigation systems division] said the GPS 3 SV04 and SV05 spacecraft are complete and in storage awaiting launch, and the next three satellites are fully assembled and undergoing environmental testing. SV09 and SV10 are currently being assembled at Lockheed Martin’s GPS satellite factory near Denver.
All 10 GPS III s/c are accounted for.
« Last Edit: 07/01/2020 03:07 am by zubenelgenubi »

Offline Bean Kenobi

• Liked: 364
  • Likes Given: 241
« Reply #6 on: 07/01/2020 08:47 am »

Ok, understand. You were speaking of launch contracts, not satellites. Sorry.

Offline su27k

• Liked: 9097
  • Likes Given: 885

Offline Redclaws

• Liked: 857
  • Likes Given: 1047
« Reply #8 on: 07/15/2020 03:30 am »
“[The author] has no financial affiliation with Ligado networks”

I am sure this is technically correct, yet somehow that article still *screams* paid piece.

Offline Jansen

• Liked: 2235
  • Likes Given: 373
« Reply #9 on: 12/09/2020 04:53 pm »
Saw this in my emails:
All CGSIC,

GPS satellite SVN-77 (PRN-14) was set healthy for initial use on 02 December at 0131Z.  SVN-77 is the fourth of a new generation of GPS satellites and the 23rd satellite to broadcast L2C, the second civil GPS signal at 1227.6 MHz.  L2C is not yet designated as "Operational" by the U.S. Space Force.  However, the L2C signal is set to Healthy and users may utilize this signal at their own risk.  SVN-77 is the 16th satellite to begin broadcasting the third civil GPS signal, L5, specifically designed for aviation use in an internationally  protected band of spectrum designated for aeronautical navigation at 1176.45 MHz.  L5 continues to broadcast an Unhealthy designation.   SVN-77 is the fourth satellite broadcasting the new L1C signal at 1575.42 MHz.

The next GPS III satellite, SVN-78, initially scheduled to launch in January, reportedly will now launch no earlier than 01 July 2021.

Rick Hamilton
CGSIC Executive Secretariat
GPS Information Analysis Team Lead
U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Center
703-313-5930

Offline Jansen

« Reply #10 on: 12/11/2020 01:42 am »
https://spacenews.com/lockheed-martin-gets-511-million-contract-for-two-gps-satellites/

The latest contract is for space vehicles 13 and 14. The $511 million price for satellites 13 and 14 is lower than satellites 11 and 12 because the $1.3 billion 2018 contract included development costs. 

SMC purchased GPS 3F space vehicles 13 and 14 after the satellite passed a critical design review earlier this year. “The program employed an intensive yearlong process which validated the GPS 3F design as a low risk,” said the spokesperson.

Offline Jansen

« Reply #11 on: 02/24/2021 10:57 pm »
https://spacenews.com/l3harris-gets-136-million-contract-for-gps-digital-payloads/

L3Harris Technologies announced Feb. 23 it has received a $137 million contract from Lockheed Martin for four digital payloads for GPS navigation satellites.

The navigation payload mission data units are for the next-generation GPS satellites known as GPS 3 Follow-on or GPS 3F, made by Lockheed Martin.

Looks like MDUs for GPS IIIF SV13-16

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 03/01/2021 12:22 am »
SN, Lockheed Martin to upgrade GPS satellites for in-orbit servicing, February 26

Lockheed Martin expects the third satellite of the GPS 3F line will have the upgraded [redesigned LM2100 commercial] bus, Brown said during a panel discussion at the Air Force Association’s aerospace warfare virtual symposium.

Eric Brown, senior director of military space mission strategy at Lockheed Martin, during a panel discussion at the Air Force Association’s aerospace warfare virtual symposium on February 25:
We are going to have the capability to enable on-orbit docking, which will allow us to do on-orbit upgrades for bringing in a new processor, bringing in new sensor technologies, things like that, that permit us to increase the relevance and the mission capability of a space platform.

Offline Jansen

« Reply #13 on: 06/14/2021 09:57 am »
https://www.saffm.hq.af.mil/Portals/84/documents/FY22/PROCUREMENT_/FY22%20DAF%20J-Book%20-%203022%20-%20SF%20Proc.pdf?ver=NEFQ6zdjfeGcJFeAdv_97g%3d%3d#page=49
SV06 has a projected AFL of April 2021 and a projected ILC of November 2021. SV07 has a projected AFL of May 2021 and a projected ILC of March 2022. SV08 has a projected AFL of July 2021 and a projected ILC of July 2022.
FY 2022 funding increases from FY 2021 due to a need for funds for SV09/10 production & launch readiness.

Offline Jansen

« Reply #14 on: 06/15/2021 06:49 am »
https://twitter.com/thesheetztweetz/status/1404459221853298690

Lockheed Martin VP Tonya Ladwig says the company has the next three GPS III satellites "lined up and ready to be called" for launch at its Denver production facility.

Looks like SV06-08 are AFL

Offline klod

• Liked: 56
  • Likes Given: 418
« Reply #15 on: 06/15/2021 10:37 am »
Isn't it time to choose LV for SV07-08?

Offline Jansen

« Reply #16 on: 06/15/2021 01:49 pm »
Isn't it time to choose LV for SV07-08?

It’s already been chosen, they just haven’t awarded it officially yet.

Offline Jansen

« Reply #17 on: 06/15/2021 09:22 pm »
All CGSIC:

Date/Site/Launch Time: Thursday, June 17th, 2021, GPSIII-05 (SVN-78/PRN-11 will launch from Space Launch Complex-40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida.  A 15-minute launch window opens at 1209 pm Eastern Daylight Time (1609-1624 UTC).

Rocket/Payload: SpaceX Falcon 9 reused booster. GPSIII-05 mission for the U.S. Space Force.

It should be noted that the Space Force will be performing an extended navigation test with SVN-78/PRN-11 so the satellite is not expected to be set healthy to users until sometime in September 2021.

Constellation Changes:

The U.S Space Force Second Space Operations Squadron (2 SOPS) indicates that GPSIII-05, SVN-78/PRN-11, will replace SVN-61/PRN-28 in the D plane at slot D1.  SVN-61 will be re-phased to optimize its position in the D plane.  GPSIII-4/SVN77/PRN-14, launched 05 November 2020 was set healthy on 02 December 2020 replacing SVN-44/PRN-28 at B3.  SVN-44/PRN-28 was moved to GLAN 31.64 to optimize its position within B-Plane.  On 10 November 2020, SVN-46 was moved into a residual status in LADO making PRN-11 available for use on SVN-78.  SVN-46, launched on 07 October of 1999, has been an "Iron Bird" workhorse in the D-plane and has successfully served the world's GPS users for over 20 years. This is over 12 years past its designed service life, having operationally outlasted (and in many cases, outperformed) many of its peers on-orbit, testament to quality engineering and the diligent efforts of the men and women of the U.S. Air Force and the U.S. Space Force.

Rick Hamilton
CGSIC Executive Secretariat
GPS Information Analysis Team Lead
U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Center

Offline Jansen

« Reply #18 on: 06/18/2021 08:50 pm »
https://www.gpsworld.com/spacex-launches-gps-satellite-to-provide-pnt-services/
In addition, GPS III SV09 was coremated, meaning it reached a major production milestone in which two major satellite components – the mission module and the propulsion core – are paired to form one space vehicle. The GPS III SV10 currently is in the component build up stage.

Online Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 31752
  • Likes Given: 7738
« Reply #19 on: 06/19/2021 05:25 am »
For those who don't what these acronyms mean (like myself).

AFL = Available for Launch
ILC = Initial Launch Capability
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography