Author Topic: Aerojet complete PDR on next-gen Upper Stage engine turbopump  (Read 5639 times)

Online Chris Bergin

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2011/11/aerojet-complete-pdr-next-gen-upper-stage-engine-turbopump/

We've been completely lobsided towards P&WR content - naturally, due to the SSMEs and such - so I'm balancing it out with news from the nice folk at Aerojet, which is time sensitive as they announced this today.

Got about 10 (not even joking) SLS articles in line for December, so while we've gone a bit EELV crazy of late, it'll all balance out too ;D
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1032
Great article Chris!  From the AJ-26 on Taurus II to the booster engine on SLS and now this new upperstage engine, Aerojet seems to be aggressively pursuing new engine contracts and thirsty for more!  This will be good for ULA, Boeing, NASA and the DoD as EELV's and potentially SLS get some much needed competition from suppliers.

« Last Edit: 11/29/2011 01:57 am by Ronsmytheiii »

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 940
As usual - great article. When do we see the specs on the engine; isp T/W etc.

Online Chris Bergin

Thanks! And oh yeah, I might add a line about the AJ-26. Not sure about the specs release - I'm guessing there's a lot of prop info right now.

And thanks to Pippin and Proponent on the Saturn catch :)
« Last Edit: 11/29/2011 01:57 am by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
Thanks! And oh yeah, I might add a line about the AJ-26. Not sure about the specs release - I'm guessing there's a lot of prop info right now.

article brought a smile to my face...great!

Chris maybe Aerojet can give some details for L2 of the AJ-26-500 ?
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1032

article brought a smile to my face...great!

Chris maybe Aerojet can give some details for L2 of the AJ-26-500 ?

or for that matter, any presentations form Aerojet on the AJ-26 being utilized for Taurus II, I know someone who would find that useful  ;D

Offline GClark

• Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 5
Great article as usual Chris.  Keep up  the good work.
« Last Edit: 11/29/2011 09:54 am by Carl G »

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2542
  • Likes Given: 8299
Lovely! I would really like you to have a nice, technical talk on Us engines (European, too). Can't you get an article on the Vinci, for example? Or Engilish and Germans still don't talk? :p

Offline butters

• Liked: 1694
  • Likes Given: 601
I wonder how it will compare to the RL-60. The EELVs have really late and fast staging points. They'd be better using a heavier upper stage with more prop and thrust, so they can get onto the more efficient vacuum engine at a lower velocity.

It's hard to argue with the logic of sizing an upper stage engine based on the answer to the question: "well, how much thrust can we get out of the expander cycle?" Because then you get a high-performance engine with relatively low cost, complexity, and mass.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
Cf. http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=23029.0

Highest-grade ore for public domain development engine information is to search for papers at the AIAA web site.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography