Author Topic: SpaceX Port and Factory on the Brownsville Ship Canal, Ostos Rd  (Read 6330 times)

Online DistantTemple

• England
  • Liked: 1632
  • Likes Given: 2678
There are strong signals that SpaceX is acquiring property with the intention of building port infrastructure on the south bank of the Brownsville Ship Channel, on Ostos road, just to the East of its junction with the new Port Connector Road.

The Port of Brownsville has authorised negotiations with Lone Star Minerals Development LLC, a subsidiary of SpaceX, to lease a portion of Fortune Ferrous' metal recycling site, for the purpose of "construction and shipyard operations". https://www.portofbrownsville.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/2020-12-16-Minutes.pdf

This site is immediately opposite the current location of DEMIOS!

SpaceX has advertised for two senior engineers that are consistent with such a project. (link to be edited in later).

This is almost a perfect location for SpaceX in relation to the Port Connector Road.

.... I will update this header with key information.

I will get better quality pictures to replace the low res ones...

edits: "Brownsville Ship Channel"
Link to Brownsville City limits and Extra territorial Jurisdiction map: https://www.cob.us/DocumentCenter/View/825/2020-Extraterritorial-Jurisdiction-PDF?bidId=
The site for minutes of the "Board of Navigation and Canal Comissioners...." is: https://www.portofbrownsville.com/commission/agendas/

Remember that Starbase details and discussion should be posted: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=53216.msg2205774;topicseen#new
« Last Edit: 03/16/2021 11:33 pm by DistantTemple »
We can always grow new new dendrites. Reach out and make connections and your world will burst with new insights. Then repose in consciousness.

Offline Barnalby

• Liked: 324
  • Likes Given: 0
Maybe we're going to get my "Starship Shipyard" idea after all.  Maybe the next gigafactory that Musk builds will be a Meyer Werft-style megastructure on the canal for starship/SH mass production, sited there for easy barging to the offshore launch/recovery complex.

Offline su27k

• Liked: 9072
  • Likes Given: 885
Do we know how large is the leased area? I assumed this lease is for staging area and work tent for works on the offshore platforms.

Offline sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 1617
  • Likes Given: 1535
A few comments: Google Maps believes the name of the road is  "RL Ostos Rd," although Port of Brownsville documents do simply call it "Ostos Road." Also note Google Maps shows the new SpaceX location to be just outside Brownsville city limits. The map provided by the Port of Brownsville shows the port owning the property. Also, the port refers to the waterway as, "the Brownsville Ship Channel."
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Online DistantTemple

• England
Do we know how large is the leased area? I assumed this lease is for staging area and work tent for works on the offshore platforms.
The Minutes of the "Board of Navigation and Canal Commissioners" linked in the OP state its the 15.64 acres that Fortune Ferrous is giving back. (Yes in this case it is Canal)
I cannot find the job adverts I mentioned in the OP, but I remember them as specifying port facilities, quays etc, as well as factory construction. I could be inaccurate. It would be nice to find those job ads. And of course everything SX changes quickly.
We can always grow new new dendrites. Reach out and make connections and your world will burst with new insights. Then repose in consciousness.

Online DistantTemple

• England
A few comments: Google Maps believes the name of the road is  "RL Ostos Rd," although Port of Brownsville documents do simply call it "Ostos Road." Also note Google Maps shows the new SpaceX location to be just outside Brownsville city limits. The map provided by the Port of Brownsville shows the port owning the property. Also, the port refers to the waterway as, "the Brownsville Ship Channel."
Yes I agree about city limits. I've added a link to the map in the OP. It looks as if the port jurisdiction does not overlap city limits. (I am unfamiliar with US practice) The port owns the channel side property and leases it to relevant businesses.
The new/proposed SX site would however be INSIDE the Brownsville "ETJ", unlike Boca Chica which is completely outside.
The ETJ has a broad sweep towards BC, but seems to be an arbitrary arc, and maybe that will be edited if/when Starbase is incorporated... but that is for the STARBASE THREAD: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=53216.msg2205774;topicseen#new
Edit; ETJ = Extra Territorial Jurisdiction"
« Last Edit: 03/16/2021 12:27 pm by DistantTemple »

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 2118
  • Likes Given: 9146

The Fortune Ferrous plot that they are negotiating to move over to SpaceX is 15.64 acres (so not very large).  Unknown whether SpaceX is taking more land than that at this time.

https://www.portofbrownsville.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/2020-12-16-Minutes.pdf
« Last Edit: 03/16/2021 10:06 pm by RedLineTrain »

Online DistantTemple

• England
Placeholder for initial notes about the cancelled LNG facility "suggested" for SpaceX as this was before the next post.

Online DistantTemple

• England
Cross Posting from Boca Chica Property Acquisition discussion about a plot that may be a thin strip of land from the Rio Grande river, crossing RT4 and thence to the Ship Canal, (near Fortune Ferrous). This is disputed an the complex description of the plot has not been carefully checked. Still:

The Port Access Road is now nearing completion. Why would SpaceX want to build yet another road along close to the same route (at great expense, and if the Port Access Road is anything to go by, a decade of paperwork to get through)?
Obviously we have no Idea. But just to answer your question.
1. Such a new road would create a route (from its departure from RT4) of less than 3.0 miles (edited from 2miles) to the ship Canal, in the vicinity of previously discussed SX sites there, (Edit "FORTUNE FERROUS)whereas starting from the same point it would be around 10 miles(EDIT..now 6.5 miles!)( Less than this along RT 4, the port connector, and back along Ostos road. And if that's at walking speed with a 9m wide section on SMPT's thats a lot of distance.
2. That's a lot of road not needing to be officially closed, as we assume SX would have unilateral contorol of their own road on their own property.
3. I did read some of the Port connector documents a couple of years ago. My impression is the decade of paperwork was gaining consensus and support from the several agencies involved, and then funding. This included port and transport authorities etc. Nothing like this is needed for the suggestion here. SX would fund it. It is not strategic for Brownsville etc... except the possitive note that it removes massive inconvenience to RT4 users, and Port Connector users - and that road IS strategic, as a bypass for freight, and overweight freight from the port, towards the Mexico Border.
Supposing SX sets up a large industrial facility on the Ship Canal, either near the recycling yard they were granted by PoB, or at the proposed/cancelled LPG site apparently being considered by PoB then a near direct route from the existing pad and build site would be of great benefit.
4. Depending where the boundary of Starbase is, maybe the Port Connector would be outside, whereas this would definitely be inside.
All conjecture - but you asked for reasons.
Edit: See distance re-measured to the Fortune Ferrous site. However I don't know the location of the cancelled LNG facility that SX might have been offered If that is East of  Fortune Ferrous that increases the benefit of an SX road. Edited distances again after second look at map!!!
Edit : Image from PYROMATTER's post on the property acquisition thread, a screenshot of property boundaries.
« Last Edit: 07/04/2021 09:38 am by DistantTemple »

Offline EL_DIABLO

• Liked: 122
  • Likes Given: 123
As far as I know the only LNG project that has been cancelled is the Annova one.

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography