Author Topic: SpaceX F9: Starlink v1 Flight 1 : November 11, 2019 - DISCUSSION  (Read 74120 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

DISCUSSION thread for the first Starlink v1 launch. 

Check the Starlink Index Thread for links to more Starlink information.

NSF Threads for Starlink v1 Flight 1: Discussion / Updates

NSF News Articles for Starlink:
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/?s=Starlink

Successful launch November 11, 2019 at 0956 EST (1456 UTC) on Falcon 9 (booster 1048.4) from CCAFS SLC-40.  ASDS landing was successful.  The fairing catch was called off due to rough weather.  Targeting deployment orbit of 280km.  This flight reused the payload fairing from the Arabsat-6A mission.

Payload: First batch of 60 operational satellites with both Ku-band and Ka-band.  Mass 260kg? per satellite.

Please use the Starlink Discussion Thread for all general discussion on Starlink.

L2 SpaceX:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?board=60.0
« Last Edit: 11/11/2019 03:15 pm by gongora »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
Looking at the recent tweet saying that the fairings for this mission will be the ones from Arabsat 6A, obviously, it'll be the first time F9 fairings will be reflown.
« Last Edit: 11/05/2019 05:16 pm by ZachS09 »
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline Captain Crutch

It'll also, hopefully, be the first mission with 2 fairings dry caught by boats, since we have the sister ships on the job now instead of just one Mr. Steven...

Offline Marci

• Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 0
So three firsts in one launch:

- first time a booster is flown 4 times
- first reuse of the fairings
- first catching of both fairing halves

if everything goes according to plan, every part of the rocket will be reused and also catched/landed (appart from stage 2 of course). This would be the final stage of the Falcon9 reusability vision.
« Last Edit: 11/05/2019 06:27 pm by Marci »

Offline Chris Bergin

Adding video from the SF article here as a standalone:

NSF's Brady Kenniston (@TheFavoritist) took this video of the first Starlink satellites in formation. Shot on Nikon D850 & 70-200mm f/2.8 from Mid-Michigan. Taken May 26, 2019 at 10:23pm Eastern.

« Last Edit: 11/05/2019 07:29 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Since the last modify request (SAT-MOD-20190830-00087) hasn't been approved yet this launch will launch to like the first batch of Starlink's.  Some of the existing and new orbits overlap they can use those for this launch. 
I think the biggest drawback is launching at the higher attitude SpaceX had an improved plan. 
« Last Edit: 11/05/2019 07:35 pm by ThomasGadd »

Offline leetdan

• Space Coast
  • Liked: 323
  • Likes Given: 282

if everything goes according to plan, every part of the rocket will be reused and also catched/landed (appart from stage 2 of course). This would be the final stage of the Falcon9 reusability vision.

One more -- this would also be the first use of the permanent mobile crane for booster and fairing recovery ops at Port Canaveral.
« Last Edit: 11/05/2019 07:38 pm by leetdan »

Online erv

Is it known what initial inclination they are aiming for? Wondering if I should get the gear ready, being at 57N :)

Offline tyrred

• Seattle
  • Liked: 750
  • Likes Given: 20639

Existential dilemma: has Falcon 9 reached final state?  ;)

Here Here! Keep the firsts rolling, I say!

Offline Alexphysics

• Spain
  • Liked: 5917
  • Likes Given: 945
Is it known what initial inclination they are aiming for? Wondering if I should get the gear ready, being at 57N :)

Same inclination as the last Starlink launch. These first launches are for the same inclination just different orbital plane.

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
Interesting that the static fire was done without the payload. If my brain doesnt fool me, the last batch of starlink satellites were integrated with F9 for the static fire.

Offline capoman

• Ontario Canada
  • Liked: 1441
  • Likes Given: 1330
Interesting that the static fire was done without the payload. If my brain doesnt fool me, the last batch of starlink satellites were integrated with F9 for the static fire.

Yes, I was wondering that too. In the recent Teslarati article, it says both fairing halves will be reused and the acoustic insulation has been removed. I wonder if the lack of acoustic insulation on the fairing might be the reason they didn't install the payload for the static fire? Just exposing the satellites to less acoustic vibration in total.
« Last Edit: 11/06/2019 01:19 pm by capoman »

Offline edzieba

• Virtual Realist
  • United Kingdom
  • Liked: 9326
  • Likes Given: 39
The last Starlink launch also lacked the acoustic tiles within the fairings.

Online abaddon

• Liked: 3900
  • Likes Given: 5273
Someone stated that at the time, but I believe that was subsequently retracted as incorrect, and in fact the payload was not on for static fire.

Offline capoman

• Ontario Canada
  • Liked: 1441
  • Likes Given: 1330
The last Starlink launch also lacked the acoustic tiles within the fairings.

Are you sure about that? I just looked at some pictures with Starlink 0.9 and it's fairing, and it looks like the tiles are in place in those pictures..

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=48135.0;attach=1560089;image

Also, it looks like it did static fire while payload/fairing were attached:

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=48135.0;attach=1560321;image

« Last Edit: 11/06/2019 03:03 pm by capoman »

Offline Alexphysics

• Spain
  • Liked: 5917
  • Likes Given: 945
Someone stated that at the time, but I believe that was subsequently retracted as incorrect, and in fact the payload was not on for static fire.

For Starlink v0.9 the payload was inside the fairing. The rocket had its static fire just a day and a half before the planned launch and it never went to the HIF during that time so it couldn't have been that one. The ones that had fairing attached but with no payload onboard were the static fires of the first and the third Falcon Heavy missions.
« Last Edit: 11/06/2019 03:35 pm by Alexphysics »

Offline penguin44

• Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 334

One more -- this would also be the first use of the permanent mobile crane for booster and fairing recovery ops at Port Canaveral.

One more, first time booster will land 4x

Online smoliarm

• Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 717
  • Likes Given: 611
Does such a long debris corridor (from Madagascar to New Zealand) implies that SpaceX is planning to test a new heat shield with this second stage?

Offline su27k

• Liked: 9100
  • Likes Given: 885
Does such a long debris corridor (from Madagascar to New Zealand) implies that SpaceX is planning to test a new heat shield with this second stage?

It's the same as the first Starlink launch, so I'm guessing no?

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=48135.msg1946062#msg1946062
« Last Edit: 11/07/2019 08:10 am by su27k »

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
Will the launch mass be the same as the Starlink v0.9 mission (18.5 US tons)?
« Last Edit: 11/07/2019 10:43 am by ZachS09 »
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography