Author Topic: Atlantis: Deservicing and Retirement Updates  (Read 457861 times)

Offline cautionjump

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Atlantis: Deservicing and Retirement Updates
« Reply #940 on: 05/07/2013 03:34 pm »
Do you know anything about the kuband antenna and radiators? Does the orbiter need to be powered to open them?

Thats interesting about Discovery, why are they considering opening the doors one day?

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #941 on: 05/07/2013 03:39 pm »
Robert's the man with the answers for this (and I'm sure we all appreciate it)....but I'm pretty certain her powered up days were over before she left for the exhibit.

OPF flows had them open the PLBDs "like" this because the orbiter could only manager it themselves in zero G. The motors aren't strong enough to open them on the ground.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #942 on: 05/07/2013 03:40 pm »
They will not have the KU Band Antenna deployed, just the replica robotic arm. Atlantis is not powered to open the bay doors for this.
Brett
www.facebook.com/brett.lowenthal1

Orbiters I have visited in retirement:

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #943 on: 05/07/2013 03:41 pm »
The latest artist rendering does not show the forward radiators deployed, but as they weren't deployed on every mission, it wouldn't detract if they are not.

And as Chris mentioned, Atlantis is no longer powered (and cannot be), and based on USA's mechanical systems training manual, the radiators need to be powered to be deployed.

I haven't heard plans for the Ku Band antenna one way or the other.

The talk (admittedly more than a year ago) about someday opening Discovery's bay was for an enhanced display. To my knowledge, there are no concrete (or even tentative) plans to do so, but it is/was at least a possibility.
« Last Edit: 05/07/2013 03:46 pm by collectSPACE »

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
« Reply #944 on: 05/07/2013 03:50 pm »
I know when they stowed the KU Band Antenna before final power down, they stated that it would not be deployed again.
Brett

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline cautionjump

« Reply #945 on: 05/07/2013 03:51 pm »
I didnt know the forward radiators werent deployed on every mission!

Not to stray too off topic, but I know the Smithsonian wanted Discovery pretty complete for research purposes, so is any active research going on with Discovery? Does anyone have access to the interior since NASA closed her up?

I may start a thread under Discovery section, but was curious is shes just sitting there looking pretty, or if anyone is actively working with her.

Offline cautionjump

« Reply #946 on: 05/07/2013 03:53 pm »
I wonder what it would take if one day they decided they wanted to power up one of the orbiters again for some reason.

Offline collectSPACE

• Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
« Reply #947 on: 05/07/2013 03:58 pm »
I know when they stowed the KU Band Antenna before final power down, they stated that it would not be deployed again.

Well, this discussion was well timed. :)

Between 11:30 and 11:35 a.m. EDT, you can see the Ku Band antenna was swung out.
« Last Edit: 05/07/2013 03:58 pm by collectSPACE »

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
« Reply #948 on: 05/07/2013 04:00 pm »
Well I stand corrected!! HAHA. They did say that though when I was watching a video back last year when they put it back in its stowed position, I promise they said that!! LOL
Brett

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline collectSPACE

• Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
« Reply #949 on: 05/07/2013 04:04 pm »
Does anyone have access to the interior since NASA closed her up?

They entered Discovery after it arrived at the Udvar-Hazy Center to reconfigure the crew cabin (stowing some of the crew seats to improve access; the seats couldn't be stowed during the ferry flight).

I don't believe any active research or study is being performed, but that is a question to pose to the Space History staff at the National Air and Space Museum.

I wonder what it would take if one day they decided they wanted to power up one of the orbiters again for some reason.

Per NASA, that's no longer an option.
« Last Edit: 05/07/2013 04:09 pm by collectSPACE »

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
« Reply #950 on: 05/07/2013 04:07 pm »
That may have been in the context of NASA/USA orbiter processing (in the OPFs).  Different rules may apply in this setting and with the vehicle deactivated.

Offline cautionjump

« Reply #951 on: 05/07/2013 04:08 pm »
Does anyone have access to the interior since NASA closed her up?

They entered Discovery after it arriving at the Udvar-Hazy Center to reconfigure the crew cabin (stowing some of the crew seats to improve access; the seats couldn't be stowed during the ferry flight).

I don't believe any active research or study is being performed, but that is a question to pose to the Space History staff at the National Air and Space Museum.

Per NASA, that's no longer an option.

Yeah I remember reading that they wanted access in the cabin for future research, so I was wondering if they ever did. Ill have to send them an email to find out. Its sad not hearing much about Discovery these days.

Offline cautionjump

« Reply #952 on: 05/07/2013 04:11 pm »
Im pretty excited to see Atlantis in person finally! I was at the Welcome Discovery day, and got to see Endeavour in the VAB right before she left for Cali.

On a side note, I have a thermal blanket that flew on Left Pod 4 when it was attached to Discovery. So Ill get to see that pod very close now that its on Atlantis! :)

Offline cautionjump

« Reply #953 on: 05/07/2013 09:55 pm »
I noticed there are photos from up above the second level, will that be accessible to the public?
Will it just be ground floor, and first level, or will there be higher vantage points too?

Offline collectSPACE

• Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
« Reply #954 on: 05/07/2013 10:24 pm »
The photos from above Atlantis are taken from catwalks that are not publicly-accessible.
« Last Edit: 05/07/2013 10:24 pm by collectSPACE »

Offline TheFallen

• Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #955 on: 05/08/2013 12:39 am »
The photos from above Atlantis are taken from catwalks that are not publicly-accessible.

Well that's too bad. Despite the fact I'm only 30 miles from Endeavour, I'd travel back to Florida again just to get this great angle on Atlantis :P
« Last Edit: 05/08/2013 12:41 am by TheFallen »

Online Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 164
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #956 on: 05/08/2013 12:50 am »

Perhaps they could add a separate viewing platform at a future date? Similar to the one at the Smithsonian, that you can climb to obtain an elevated view of Discovery.
Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Offline collectSPACE

• Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
« Reply #957 on: 05/08/2013 03:15 am »
There is an upper level of sorts, though it is further back from Atlantis. You can see it in the webcam shots. The top of the stairs leading up to that level is in the lower right corner of the frame.

But one of the reasons Atlantis was tilted 43 degrees to one side was to give visitors a view of the top of the orbiter without having to elevate them.

Offline MichaelJohnston

« Reply #958 on: 05/08/2013 05:01 pm »
But one of the reasons Atlantis was tilted 43 degrees to one side was to give visitors a view of the top of the orbiter without having to elevate them.

Hey Robert! Were there any considerations for the way in which Atlantis would be tilted to accommodate access to the cockpit or payload bay for museum caretakers? I heard rumors that a tilted platform may be placed in the payload bay, if not in the cockpit as well.

Offline collectSPACE

• Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
« Reply #959 on: 05/08/2013 05:21 pm »
As noted earlier in this thread and shown in this video, there was a tilted platform installed on Atlantis' middeck before its hatch was closed and the orbiter was moved to the visitor complex.

According to the exhibit's planners, there are two window washer-like bucket/platforms that can be lowered from the ceiling to give workers access to the payload bay but they said, there are no plans at this time to enter the crew cabin. Also, as pointed out earlier, the airlock in Atlantis' bay is a replica, and may block access to the middeck.
« Last Edit: 05/08/2013 05:22 pm by collectSPACE »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography