Author Topic: Dream Chaser through critical landing test, prepares for orbital flights  (Read 27151 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017/11/dream-chaser-test-prepares-orbital-flights/

By Chris Gebhardt

Epic Uncrewed Dream Chaser L2 Renders - including the lead render - via NSF's Nathan Koga
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10198
  • Likes Given: 11927
Great article about my favorite upcoming VTHL spacecraft.

One popular question has been why Sierra Nevada didn't go with SpaceX for launching the Dream Chaser, but in looking at the picture of the spacecraft mounted inside of the Atlas V payload fairing it sure looks like the standard Falcon 9 payload fairing would not be tall enough for the Dream Chaser launch configuration. Can anyone confirm that?

On Wikipedia they reference a length of 6.9m, but that is just for the vehicle. The launch stack would also include the expendable cargo portion, which as the solar panels (and is jettisoned in space before return to Earth). Falcon 9 has a total payload length of 11m, but only 6.7m at the full diameter, so the standard fairing appears to be too short for Dream Chaser Cargo.

Nice to be seeing progress!
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
We had the discussions previously and a number of people agreed that the current Falcon 9 fairing isn't tall enough for cargo DC. There was talk a while ago (in the 2013 Bigelow report) that the FH would have an option for a taller fairing. But we haven't heard of this taller fairing since that time (4 years ago).

During the presser someone asked if DC was committed to Atlas V (and Vulcan) for the entire CRS2 contract. SNC said that they had only commited themselves for the early flights (the first two flights will be on an Atlas V) and Sirangelo then added that DC was LV agnostic and that a decision had not yet been made for the later flights.

https://www.space.com/37636-dream-chaser-space-plane-on-atlas-v-rockets.html
« Last Edit: 11/24/2017 09:20 pm by yg1968 »

Offline Markstark

• Liked: 457
  • Likes Given: 83
Great article. I had no clue they were doing Dream Chaser work at MAF.

Minor typo here "However, unlike a traditional CDR, which is when actual production would being, SNC is already well into the build for various elements of the first orbital Dream Chaser."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017/11/dream-chaser-test-prepares-orbital-flights/

By Chris Gebhardt

Epic Uncrewed Dream Chaser L2 Renders - including the lead render - via NSF's Nathan Koga

Good article with lots of détails. Just the way we like it (on NSF)!

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523

Minor typo here "However, unlike a traditional CDR, which is when actual production would being, SNC is already well into the build for various elements of the first orbital Dream Chaser."

Welcome to the forum! :)
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Rocket Science

Thanks for the meaty article Chris G and the awesome renders by Nathan! 8) With some of the updates to Dream Chaser I wouldn't mind knowing what percentage the vehicle is toward a potential crewed version...

Offline JAFO

• My hobby
  • Liked: 875
  • Likes Given: 966
So no more ALT tests, or TBD?
« Last Edit: 11/25/2017 12:10 am by JAFO »
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10198
  • Likes Given: 11927

Lockheed Martin is building the next Dream Chaser composite structure at the Michoud Assembly Facility (MAF).  Here is the press release:

Sierra Nevada Corporation and Lockheed Martin Expand Dream Chaser Orbital Vehicle Manufacturing
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline Markstark

• Liked: 457
  • Likes Given: 83

Lockheed Martin is building the next Dream Chaser composite structure at the Michoud Assembly Facility (MAF).  Here is the press release:

Sierra Nevada Corporation and Lockheed Martin Expand Dream Chaser Orbital Vehicle Manufacturing
Very cool thanks! Glad there will be additional uses of the MAF facilities.

Offline Rocket Science

None planned, next stop space! 8)

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384

In any other industry, they would be laughed out of the room for declaring success after just one successful test...

Offline Rocket Science

In any other industry, they would be laughed out of the room for declaring success after just one successful test...
Take it up with NASA pal...

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238

That sounds more like a complaint that should be brought up in regards to commercial crew providers. Unless we're putting experiments above lives.

Offline su27k

• Liked: 9100
  • Likes Given: 885

That sounds more like a complaint that should be brought up in regards to commercial crew providers. Unless we're putting experiments above lives.

Commercial crew has way more tests than this, NASA added 6 parachute tests for each provider, that's on top of however many tests the providers originally planned.

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238

Commercial crew has way more tests than this, NASA added 6 parachute tests for each provider, that's on top of however many tests the providers originally planned.
Not to mention that extensive battery of inflight abort scenarios they'll test... Well one of them anyway... for the provider that's even doing one.
« Last Edit: 11/26/2017 01:42 pm by rayleighscatter »

Offline Rocket Science

Some folks just wish to believe that SNC pulled Dream Chaser out of their backside and if they did their research before they comment would realize that this is a follow-on program to the extensive design and testing performed by NASA on the HL-20.
https://crgis.ndc.nasa.gov/crgis/images/4/43/1992-04_HL-20_Model_for_Personnel_Launch_Systm_Research.pdf
https://crgis.ndc.nasa.gov/historic/HL-20

Full scale wind tunnel testing:
« Last Edit: 11/26/2017 03:10 pm by Rocket Science »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428

Different risk postures and different production rates

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327

Two successful tests, not one.

And didn't SpaceX do just one drop test of cargo Dragon?  I can't find another one.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384

Two successful tests, not one.

And didn't SpaceX do just one drop test of cargo Dragon?  I can't find another one.

I think you are correct (for Cargo Dragon), but I did't say SpaceX was better in this particular instance, did I?  :) It was just a general observation.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography