Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Updates and Discussion Thread 3  (Read 1424201 times)

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
We've ordered the OCISLY and JRtI tee shirts.
DM

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
I'm sure Jim disapproves.  Who cares about barges? ;)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428

I even threw away the luggage tags I got (I don't know from where)

Offline JamesH65

• Liked: 1739
  • Likes Given: 10

There's a place called Ebay, you may wish to investigate it for excess freebies.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator

There's a place called Ebay, you may wish to investigate it for excess freebies.

2 for $20?  I don't pay for other people advertising.  Don't have anything with logos from school, sports team, corporate, athletic wear, etc.

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6801
  • Likes Given: 2965

2 for $20?  I don't pay for other people advertising.  Don't have anything with logos from school, sports team, corporate, athletic wear, etc.

I think he was saying to sell them instead of throwing them away.

Offline Joaosg

Not surprised. But if you give me your address i will send a shirt saying "I'm always right - Jim" and i bet you won't throw away that one  :)

BTW and back on topic any update on OCISLY upgrades? Next Falcon mission from the cape is expendable and the other one is CRS10 (maybe RTLS), she won't get any RP1 soot until March...
« Last Edit: 01/24/2017 06:18 pm by Joaosg »

Offline dglow

• Liked: 2295
  • Likes Given: 4433

You might dig, in part at least, Naomi Klein's book "No Logo".

(not to be confused with Lar's recurring nightmare, "No Lego")

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086

I am not going to Mars if I can't take at least some LEGO elements with me...  And ya, I hear Jim, I don't wear many logos either, 'cept IBM... (and LEGO, duh)

Back on topic...
What updates does OCISLY need at this point? Thought she was in pretty good shape...
« Last Edit: 01/24/2017 07:47 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392

I have the Occupy Mars mug, and anyone thinking that this is an advertisement is missing the point.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 868
  • Likes Given: 548
I have the Occupy Mars mug, and anyone thinking that this is an advertisement is missing the point.

Perhaps.. but if discovered sitting abandoned on a dusty shelf a few decades hence should dreams of humans on Mars go the way of Moon dreams back in the 80's, I doubt anyone would consider your mug to be anything more than an out-dated curio.

At least the ASDS is real (....to segue this thread back on topic)  8)

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Online meekGee

• N. California

Perhaps.. but if discovered sitting abandoned on a dusty shelf a few decades hence should dreams of humans on Mars go the way of Moon dreams back in the 80's, I doubt anyone would consider your mug to be anything more than an out-dated curio.

At least the ASDS is real (....to segue this thread back on topic)  8)
The cup did not come with a guarantee... 

A lot of this discussion has to do about whether the F9, the barge, landings...  Are they steps for finally a good chance of progress on expanding into space, or this all "just another rocket company, a-la Kistler or Orbital" (to pick two opposite examples).

Because if the latter, then yeah, why keep logos or mugs or mission patches or anything - might as well get a FedEx mouse pad and be done with.

If the former, then that's why we have a thread dedicated to a barge, one to the ships that sail with the barge, and another to elevator shafts and soil draining wicks...

...and an entire section of threads dedicated to the Mars aspects of SpaceX...

Time will tell if they'll be successful, but the disdain is just sad.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
Distain is warranted for over the top fanaticism (topics and consumerism). 

For example, I like music from certain bands. I like to learn about the process of how the songs are written and recorded.  I don't care how the studio was built or the type of tour bus used.  Minutiae (like elevator shafts in the studio or tour tractor/trailers) is for inane fanboi discussion boards.
« Last Edit: 01/25/2017 01:20 am by Jim »

Offline Perchlorate

• 2 miles from the site of the first successful powered flight.
  • Liked: 909
  • Likes Given: 1289
I have a mild amount of disdain for dis stain that dis discussion is leaving on dis thread, "discussion" thread though it be.
Pete B, a Civil Engineer, in an age of incivility.

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 8740
Jim, just because your interest in how something is done is limited to certain areas doesn't mean we are wrong to be interested in them.  We know you don't like so much interest in SpaceX.  We get it, really.  We've been getting it for about a decade now.  If you don't like forum members interest in SpaceX, why come into these sub-forums?  Like them or not, SpaceX generates excitement about launching cargo, people and eventually, colonists into space. 
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
Hey, folks. I meant my original post as light joshing of a respected poster on these boards. It's not worth two pages of off-topic posts! Let's respect our differences -- not everyone is going to dig ASDS luggage tags -- and let it go.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
Jim, just because your interest in how something is done is limited to certain areas doesn't mean we are wrong to be interested in them.  We know you don't like so much interest in SpaceX.  We get it, really.  We've been getting it for about a decade now.  If you don't like forum members interest in SpaceX, why come into these sub-forums?  Like them or not, SpaceX generates excitement about launching cargo, people and eventually, colonists into space. 

I have great interest in Spacex.  I try to find information on the vehicles, GSE and facilities as much as I can, like I do for other vehicles (except SLS).  I just don't care about the minuteia that really has no bearing on "launching cargo, people and eventually, colonists into space"

Soil draining wicks or elevator shafts are not unique to Spacex (or even spaceflight in general) and so why is it part of the discussions?  Likewise where is the discussion for soil draining wicks or elevator shafts for Blue Origin's factory?  It seems that just because it is Spacex, people want inane details.

Online meekGee

• N. California
And these are people that are generally interested in space, and are familiar with, to continue the example, OSC and Kistler, and certainly with ULA and with Shuttle.

So why is that?  Are they all just conspiring to be interested? Just because... because of what, IYO?

Online Herb Schaltegger

I have great interest in Spacex.  I try to find information on the vehicles, GSE and facilities as much as I can, like I do for other vehicles (except SLS).  I just don't care about the minuteia that really has no bearing on "launching cargo, people and eventually, colonists into space"

Soil draining wicks or elevator shafts are not unique to Spacex (or even spaceflight in general) and so why is it part of the discussions?  Likewise where is the discussion for soil draining wicks or elevator shafts for Blue Origin's factory?  It seems that just because it is Spacex, people want inane details.
To be fair, large launch complexes such as Boca Chica aren't built very often and certainly not during the internet era and close enough to publicly-accessible land for the process to be documented by outside observers. Frankly I'm fascinated by the prep work and eventual pad-building activities. Not so much about elevator shafts at STARGATE but whatever.

If/when someone else buys up private land for their own launch complex, I hope it gets watched as closed.
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Online Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
Jim has a point here. But I think the reason is different than he views it. Many people are very interested in SpaceX for its disruptive nature. The progress of SpaceX is fast in terms of rocket companies. But it's very slow in terms of people's daily media consumption and hunger for information. In the limbo between true progress and perceived snail crawl, people start occupying themselves with minute and inconsequential details. Nothing bad about it, and nothing worth criticising. As is the other way around. Overexcited people should accept Jims concentration on the important stuff. It might reduce the clatter in this forum.

Cheers, Semmel.

PS: can we move these last posts to some more appropriate place? I prefer them not to be deleted. ;-)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography