Author Topic: Dynetics lunar lander  (Read 174636 times)

Online jdon759

• Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: Dynetics lunar lander
« Reply #480 on: 05/24/2023 01:18 am »
I suspect what they proposed least time helped push Blue to what they came up with.  They weren't going to match the deep pockets Blue brings to the table.
It wasn't even the money. The Dynetics bid was just bad.
Bad or just not better than Blue's.
Did you read the remarks about the 2 bids? NASA basically only had bad things to say about it.
Free did say they [NASA] really liked the concept of a "low-slung lander," the modularity of the design, and the business strategy. 

He wrote that they were very concerned with the late technology maturation plan (TRL6 to 8 only 9 months before the mission), and uncertainty about many of the vehicle's essential capabilities.  I blamed bad management because it looks like this uncertainty comes more from a poorly-written submission than anything else.

Offline Eric Hedman

• The birthplace of the solid body electric guitar
  • Liked: 1953
  • Likes Given: 1142
« Reply #481 on: 05/24/2023 04:17 am »
I suspect what they proposed least time helped push Blue to what they came up with.  They weren't going to match the deep pockets Blue brings to the table.
It wasn't even the money. The Dynetics bid was just bad.
Bad or just not better than Blue's.
Did you read the remarks about the 2 bids? NASA basically only had bad things to say about it.
Free did say they [NASA] really liked the concept of a "low-slung lander," the modularity of the design, and the business strategy. 

He wrote that they were very concerned with the late technology maturation plan (TRL6 to 8 only 9 months before the mission), and uncertainty about many of the vehicle's essential capabilities.  I blamed bad management because it looks like this uncertainty comes more from a poorly-written submission than anything else.
It could also be from insufficient resources to compete with the the deep pockets of Blue both in the developing the plan and developing the lander.  Great management on developing the proposal doesn't result in a competitive proposal when you're competing with someone with much deeper pockets and head start with a launch vehicle that can deliver the size lander truly needed and a few years head start working on the Blue Moon lander.

Offline deltaV

• Change in velocity
  • Liked: 621
  • Likes Given: 2131
« Reply #482 on: 06/12/2023 09:42 pm »
Has Dynetics given any clues if they're planning to challenge their loss to Blue Origin in a GEO protest or lawsuit? They obviously may not say anything in advance but maybe they did.

Offline Paul451

• Australia
  • Liked: 2518
  • Likes Given: 2180
« Reply #483 on: 06/13/2023 05:26 pm »
in a GEO protest

I assume you meant GAO. (But the idea of them setting up a picket-line in GEO amuses me.)

Offline joek

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1096
« Reply #484 on: 06/13/2023 06:09 pm »
Has Dynetics given any clues if they're planning to challenge their loss to Blue Origin in a GEO protest or lawsuit? They obviously may not say anything in advance but maybe they did.

Does not appear so, based on the following...
Quote from: SpaceNews
In a statement to SpaceNews, Dynetics and its parent company, Leidos, appeared to accept the outcome of the competition and showed no sign it would file a protest. Both Blue Origin and Dynetics had protested the selection of SpaceX for the original Human Landing System award, but had that rejected by the Government Accountability Office.

“Helping NASA with the inspiring efforts to return to the moon will remain a priority for Leidos. The Artemis missions require multiple partners to achieve success, and our Leidos-Dynetics team is committed to continuing to assist on these critical missions,” the company said, citing work on several projects and plans to bid on a Lunar Terrain Vehicle rover for later Artemis missions.

Offline Gliderflyer

« Reply #485 on: 06/20/2023 12:18 am »
New video that has some shots of some of the App N work:

I tried it at home

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight