Author Topic: Endeavour: Deservicing and Retirement Updates  (Read 306746 times)

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 42
Re: Endeavour: Deservicing and Retirement Updates
« Reply #100 on: 09/28/2011 02:30 pm »
Any idea as asked above what the dots are all over her tiles?
« Last Edit: 09/28/2011 02:32 pm by brettreds2k »
Brett
www.facebook.com/brett.lowenthal1

Orbiters I have visited in retirement:

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #101 on: 09/30/2011 06:04 pm »
Also looking at live video of Enterprise, her pods are missing, so am I safe to assume the test one that is being fitted as in the pictures in here on Endeavour are borrowed from Enterprise? And of so, will they be put back on Enterprise or will she be left sitting on display looking out of place with her 2 OMS Pods missing
Brett
www.facebook.com/brett.lowenthal1

Orbiters I have visited in retirement:

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #102 on: 09/30/2011 07:04 pm »
Also looking at live video of Enterprise, her pods are missing, so am I safe to assume the test one that is being fitted as in the pictures in here on Endeavour are borrowed from Enterprise? And of so, will they be put back on Enterprise or will she be left sitting on display looking out of place with her 2 OMS Pods missing

The ALTA pods are different from the display pods

Also, for Endeavour, there will be a transfer of title ceremony:

The California Science Center will host 50 social media guests as part of a celebration of the Space Shuttle Orbiter Endeavour from 10:00 a.m. until 11:00 a.m. on October 11, 2011.

The private event will feature a title transfer-signing of Endeavour from NASA to the California Science Center Foundation, along with an appearance from NASA’s STS-134 crew and Commander Mark Kelly.

http://www.californiasciencecenter.org/GenInfo/NewsAndEvents/Headlines/2011/endeavourLA/endeavourLA.php

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #103 on: 10/01/2011 09:26 am »

Enterprise's pods were wooden display pods, which are not suitable for flight. They were removed and propably won't be used again.

Endeavour test fitting was with the ALTA pods, and they will be fitted on Enterprise before it leaves for NY.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: 10/11/2011 06:32 pm »
Heartbreaking. And more lack of "her" when referencing Endeavour

("Oh but it's politically correct to call them an it" - yeah right, frak off you bore).

NASA TRANSFERS ENDEAVOUR TITLE TO CALIFORNIA SCIENCE CENTER

WASHINGTON -- NASA transferred title and ownership of space shuttle
Endeavour to the California Science Center (CSC) during a ceremony
Tuesday at the center in Los Angeles. The transfer is the first step
toward CSC receiving Endeavour in the latter half of 2012.

"NASA is pleased to share this wonderful orbiter with the California
Science Center to help inspire a new generation of explorers," NASA
Administrator Charles Bolden said. "The next chapter in space
exploration begins now, and we're standing on the shoulders of the
men and women of the shuttle program to reach farther into the solar
system."

Bolden announced April 12 that CSC was one of four institutions
nationwide to receive a shuttle. After display preparation and
post-mission work are complete, NASA will deliver Endeavour on the
747 shuttle carrier aircraft to Los Angeles International Airport.
From there, the shuttle will be driven through the streets of Los
Angeles to its destination at the Science Center in Exposition Park.

"Endeavour now will begin its new mission to stimulate an interest in
science and engineering in future generations at the science center,"
California Science Center President Jeffrey Rudolph said.

and signing image:

http://yfrog.com/user/RobertPearlman/profile

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 164
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #105 on: 10/12/2011 07:41 pm »
Here's more images of the signing from SpaceflightNow.  Photos by Gene Blevins of the L.A. Daily News.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts134/111011/index.html

June Lockhart from Lost in Space was there! She's a strong supporter of NASA, and even has a LIS-themed promo on NASA TV ("I'm June Lockhart, from television's Lost in Space, and you're watching NASA TV...").

Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: 10/12/2011 10:12 pm »
article form the Los Angeles times shows a good overview of how Endeavour will arrive after landing at LAX:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-endeavour-20111012,0,6130388.story?track=rss

Offline gordo

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #107 on: 10/13/2011 06:42 am »
I wonder if they will use the OTS, it's was originally built for this sort if move. They can keep the gear up until it's unloaded at the museum.

Offline JayP

• Liked: 4
« Reply #108 on: 10/14/2011 02:01 am »
I wonder if they will use the OTS, it's was originally built for this sort if move. They can keep the gear up until it's unloaded at the museum.
The OTS's forward bi-pod will only work with an ET bipod fitting and the ET fitting wouln't work with the SCA's bipod. That's why they couldn't use it when they would move the orbiters to the SLF before mounting them on the SCA for flights to Palmdale.

Plus, they would have to ship the thing all the way over there.

« Last Edit: 10/14/2011 02:02 am by JayP »

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #109 on: 10/14/2011 02:57 am »
The OTS's forward bi-pod will only work with an ET bipod fitting and the ET fitting wouln't work with the SCA's bipod. That's why they couldn't use it when they would move the orbiters to the SLF before mounting them on the SCA for flights to Palmdale.

Here's a shot of Columbia on the OTS after she had been transported from OPF3 to the SLF to be mated with SCA for the ferry flight to Palmdale:
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline JayP

• Liked: 4
« Reply #110 on: 10/14/2011 03:38 am »

Here's a shot of Columbia on the OTS after she had been transported from OPF3 to the SLF to be mated with SCA for the ferry flight to Palmdale:
O.K. If you look closely you can see that the OTS's bipod is not in the configuration it is now. It now has 2 angled supports instead of the one verticle suppport. I don't know if the OTS can be converted back to this configuration anymore. Maybe one of the KSC guys can say.

Most photos of orbiters being taken to and from the SLF for ferry flights in the 90's show it being towed on its landing gear and the gear being retacted after lifting in the MDD. There must have been some reason they did it that way.

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #111 on: 10/14/2011 04:25 am »

O.K. If you look closely you can see that the OTS's bipod is not in the configuration it is now. It now has 2 angled supports instead of the one verticle suppport. I don't know if the OTS can be converted back to this configuration anymore. Maybe one of the KSC guys can say.

Most photos of orbiters being taken to and from the SLF for ferry flights in the 90's show it being towed on its landing gear and the gear being retacted after lifting in the MDD. There must have been some reason they did it that way.
Actually the ET style bipod struts are removable. Here's two photos that shows the bolts that mate the plates with the diagonal struts to the OTS bipod:
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #112 on: 10/14/2011 02:26 pm »
According to California Science Center president Jeffrey Rudolph, the overland transporter they will use to move Endeavour from LAX will not be the same one pictured above (and used at KSC between OPFs and VAB) but rather the one used at Palmdale to move orbiters between Plant 42 and Dryden/Edwards AFB.

The advantage (and necessity) of that specific transporter with its bar-mounted wheel configuration is that the back wheels can move separate from the front, to allow better maneuvering. The design also allows for lateral transitions, which may be necessary along the route.

Space shuttle pink slip in hand, LA planning 'mother of all parades' for Endeavour
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-101411a.html

« Last Edit: 10/15/2011 07:23 pm by collectSPACE »

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8824
  • Likes Given: 7835
« Reply #113 on: 10/14/2011 06:20 pm »
Robert,

What I enjoyed most from your article "http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-101411a.html"  is the final intent, for shuttle Endeavour, will be to display it in it's full vertical launch configuration with SRB's and External tank attached.  That will be quite some building to house this. I can't wait.

Tony 
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: 10/15/2011 03:18 am »
According to California Science Center president Jeffrey Rudolph, the overland transporter they will use to move Endeavour from LAX will not be the same one pictured above (and used at KSC between OPFs and VAB) but rather the one used at Palmdale to move orbiters between Plant 42 and Dryden/Edwards AFB (it was also used once to move Enterprise at Vandenberg Air Force Base).

The advantage (and necessity) of that specific transporter with its bar-mounted wheel configuration is that the back wheels can move separate from the front, to allow better maneuvering. The design also allows for lateral transitions, which may be necessary along the route.

Space shuttle pink slip in hand, LA planning 'mother of all parades' for Endeavour
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-101411a.html

By the way Robert, I would not report it but the most logical ET for display would probably be ET-94, which our Mr Bergin reported has been handed over to Jacobs Technologies.:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2011/08/boeing-complete-sls-pathfinder-tank-maf-et-operations-end/

Edit: Both the CSC and KSCVC displays will look amazing, and really make the Smithsonian and Intrepid designs seem sad in comparison.  I hope one of them will decide to display one of the remaining orbiters (probably Enterprise) on a retired SCA.
« Last Edit: 10/15/2011 03:52 am by Ronsmytheiii »

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #115 on: 10/15/2011 05:35 pm »
I hope one of them will decide to display one of the remaining orbiters (probably Enterprise) on a retired SCA.

According to NASA, at least one, if not both SCA are to be transferred to the SOFIA program, in part to provide spare parts.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: 10/16/2011 01:47 am »
I hope one of them will decide to display one of the remaining orbiters (probably Enterprise) on a retired SCA.

According to NASA, at least one, if not both SCA are to be transferred to the SOFIA program, in part to provide spare parts.

Understand that Robert, but no reason that they could not simply take parts off after the craft have been decommissioned, either initially after retirement like the current orbiters, or to take spares off the craft from the museum as was done from Enterprise.

Offline gordo

• Liked: 26
« Reply #117 on: 10/16/2011 02:47 am »
Thanks Robert for the info, amazing they kept the overland transporter!

Keeps it easy to the OTS to be used by Altantis if needed.

Offline wolfpack

• Wake Forest, NC
  • Liked: 159
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #118 on: 10/18/2011 03:09 pm »
Robert,

What I enjoyed most from your article "http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-101411a.html"  is the final intent, for shuttle Endeavour, will be to display it in it's full vertical launch configuration with SRB's and External tank attached.  That will be quite some building to house this. I can't wait.

Tony 

Wow. That would be a sight!

What about seismic activity? The vertical stack has a resonance. Can that be damped? Don't want pieces of the building falling on her, either. I see engineering challenges to this on top of fundraising.

Offline Walter S

• WV/FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #119 on: 10/18/2011 09:35 pm »
Robert,

Tony 

Wow. That would be a sight!

What about seismic activity? The vertical stack has a resonance. Can that be damped? Don't want pieces of the building falling on her, either. I see engineering challenges to this on top of fundraising.

Maybe they will be able to tie the earthquakes into a simulated launch experience.  ;D

I'm sure that's all being taken in account.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography