Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9/Dragon CRS SpX-1 MISSION GENERAL DISCUSSION  (Read 672020 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

PENDING OFFICIAL GO FOR SPX-1 (Will realign in the highly unlikely event of NASA calling for another COTS Demo).

FOR SPECIFIC PRE-LAUNCH/PROCESSING UPDATES, SEE THIS THREAD:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=29131.0

Please note the difference between this thread and the update thread.

Resources:

Other Threads for SpX-1:
SpaceX Falcon 9/Dragon CRS SpX-1 PROCESSING/Pre-LAUNCH UPDATES
SpaceX Falcon 9/Dragon CRS-1 (SpX-1) LAUNCH UPDATES
SpaceX Dragon CRS-1 (SpX-1) RNDZ, Capture, Berthing to ISS & Hatch Opening
SpaceX Dragon CRS-1 (SpX-1) (EOM) Unberthing, Entry, Splashdown
SpaceX CRS-1 Software/Computer Design Discussion Thread
Dragons for everyone! It's another SpaceX Party Thread (CRS-1)
Year In Review (Part IV - Covering SpaceX Missions COTS 2+ and CRS-1)

SpaceX GENERAL Forum Section:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?board=45.0 - please use this for general questions NOT specific to SpX-1.

SpaceX News Articles from 2006 (Including numerous exclusive Elon interviews):
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=21862.0

SpaceX News Articles (Recent):
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/tag/spacex/

L2 SpaceX Section:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=tags&tags=SpaceX

L2 SpaceX Dragon C2+ Mission Special (Exclusively acquired pre-launch and Mission Coverage, Presentations, Graphics, Videos, Updates) - in the new L2 Commercial Crew and Cargo Section:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?board=54.0
(The above is now moving to SpX-1 Coverage).
« Last Edit: 08/08/2017 08:47 pm by gongora »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Bubbinski

Is there a launch time/window set for this?  I see the Spaceflightnow.com schedule says 9/24 for launch date.

And will the window be instantaneous like the last flight or will there be a few minutes in it like there was with shuttle?
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4204
  • Likes Given: 2
2 more flights this year (another is penciled in for Dec. 15)?
« Last Edit: 06/11/2012 12:55 am by Carl G »
DM

Offline ArbitraryConstant

• Liked: 628
  • Likes Given: 311
It would represent a significant quickening in SpaceX's operations for them to get both of those flights this year.

Offline oiorionsbelt

• Liked: 1188
  • Likes Given: 2685
From tests to operations?

Offline ArbitraryConstant

• Liked: 628
  • Likes Given: 311
From NET to actual launch.  :D

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8267
Is there a launch time/window set for this?  I see the Spaceflightnow.com schedule says 9/24 for launch date.

And will the window be instantaneous like the last flight or will there be a few minutes in it like there was with shuttle?
I think they stated the windows are instantaneous, but the launch opportunities are daily, for the CRS flights. BTW, that's a NET flight. The LV is already at the cape, but the Dragon should arrive by August. I guess when the Dragon is shipped we'll know how close to launch we'll be. There's also the WDR rehearsal. As SPX approaches continuous operations, we'll start to see more fixed patterns (things like LV shipement T-90 days, Dragon shipment T-45days, WDR T-6 days, etc.)

Offline stockman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Southern Ontario - Canada
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0

I think they stated the windows are instantaneous, but the launch opportunities are daily, for the CRS flights. BTW, that's a NET flight. The LV is already at the cape, but the Dragon should arrive by August. I guess when the Dragon is shipped we'll know how close to launch we'll be. There's also the WDR rehearsal. As SPX approaches continuous operations, we'll start to see more fixed patterns (things like LV shipement T-90 days, Dragon shipment T-45days, WDR T-6 days, etc.)

Was there a slip in Dragon delivery?? I know this is not official but the SFN artical on June 2 said it would be delivered as early as next month (implying early July.)...

SpaceX's next launch to the space station is tentatively scheduled for Sept. 24. The Falcon 9 rocket for the flight is being checked out in a hangar at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla., and the Dragon payload will be shipped to the Florida launch site as soon as next month, according to SpaceX officials
One Percent for Space!!!

Offline FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
  • Liked: 1330
  • Likes Given: 173

If they are able to do it, and its a big if, would be positive because it would mean flight rates finally ramping up as they have been trying to do for years now.

Big difference between now and then is previously, despite their wildly optimistic schedules in past years they were still in the development phase of their systems, now, for F9 standard anyway, they are moving past that with  F9V1.1 representing the final step.

So in theory now they should be able to ramp up.
3-30-2017: The start of a great future
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline simonbp

• Science Guy
  • Liked: 314
  • Likes Given: 183
They also have the motivation that SpX-1 and SpX-2 are the only remaining v1.0 flights, so they've got to get them off the pad before they can modify it for all future flights. Hopefully SpX-1/2 don't become a bottleneck for everything else...

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
Re: SpaceX Falcon 9/Dragon CRS SpX-1 MISSION GENERAL DISCUSSION
« Reply #10 on: 06/11/2012 11:19 pm »

If they are able to do it, and its a big if, would be positive because it would mean flight rates finally ramping up as they have been trying to do for years now.

Big difference between now and then is previously, despite their wildly optimistic schedules in past years they were still in the development phase of their systems, now, for F9 standard anyway, they are moving past that with  F9V1.1 representing the final step.

F9V1.1 has yet to be flown.  Would NASA put expensive cargo on an untested launcher?
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Jason1701

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #11 on: 06/11/2012 11:31 pm »

F9V1.1 has yet to be flown.  Would NASA put expensive cargo on an untested launcher?

No, CASSIOPE will be first.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1020
« Reply #12 on: 06/12/2012 03:24 am »

Doesn't matter, NASA doesn't care about LV operations as long as the range is ok with it and SpaceX delivers its cargo commitment. Crew will be a different story.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #13 on: 06/12/2012 03:12 pm »

Doesn't matter, NASA doesn't care about LV operations as long as the range is ok with it and SpaceX delivers its cargo commitment. Crew will be a different story.

seem to recall one of the Q&A before Congress was this "insurance", Responsibility issues.
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Dave G

• Liked: 2127
  • Likes Given: 2021
« Reply #14 on: 06/13/2012 04:10 am »
It would represent a significant quickening in SpaceX's operations for them to get both of those flights this year.

We've not seen SpaceX's operations pace yet.  We've only seen their development pace.  With the exception of Falcon 1 Flight 5, all launches have been test flights with a lot of development in the critical path.

Now that the development and testing is done, we'll see SpaceX's operations potential, both in terms of pace and success rate.

To be clear, I'm not saying SpaceX will have phenomenal operations, I'm just pointing out that we haven't seen this side of SpaceX yet, so nobody knows.
« Last Edit: 06/13/2012 04:19 am by Dave G »

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #15 on: 06/13/2012 01:03 pm »
Now that the development and testing is done, we'll see SpaceX's operations potential, both in terms of pace and success rate.

Cough, Cough,... v1.1, Heavy, Vadenberg Pad, Fairing...

Though to be fair, CRS-1 and CRS-2 are are v1.0 Falcon's.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #16 on: 06/13/2012 01:26 pm »
Now that the development and testing is done, we'll see SpaceX's operations potential, both in terms of pace and success rate

This actually raises a valid question.  Does anyone know how similar the CRS-1 launch vehicle will be to the COTS-2+ one? If the Falcon-9 Block-1 is considered an essentially finalised design now, it should be easier to meet the schedule for the first two CRS launches; if not there is more potential for delays.
« Last Edit: 06/13/2012 01:26 pm by Ben the Space Brit »
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 172
« Reply #17 on: 06/13/2012 01:30 pm »
I'd say Falcon 9 block 1 is a done deal, they only have 2 more launches proposed with this variant. There is an upgrade for flight 6.
« Last Edit: 06/13/2012 01:36 pm by mr. mark »

Offline Halidon

• whereabouts unknown
  • Liked: 180
  • Likes Given: 533
« Reply #18 on: 06/13/2012 08:07 pm »
A full month berthed at the station as opposed to a week, won't have that new car smell by the time it gets back.

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 172
« Reply #19 on: 06/21/2012 02:31 pm »
Any more news as to assembly of the launch vehicle? I'm wondering how work flow is progressing. For me, this and Orbitals upcoming Cygnus /Antares launches are the real story. Mars and reuse can wait for me. 
« Last Edit: 06/21/2012 02:31 pm by mr. mark »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography