Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
91
Missions To The Moon (HSF) / Re: Artemis 1 Discussion Thread
« Last post by Robotbeat on Today at 03:59 pm »
Two more questions: they've decided now but are not actually rolling back until 11pm (ET). Does that leave a window to change the decision if the NHC updates today move the storm away from KSC, or is this decision final and something else is causing the wait until 11pm?

Also, upon rolling back, will they do more leak-related inspections or will it just be "get the SLS out of the way of the hurricane, change FTS batteries, back to pad"? And if it's the latter, how soon can it be back on the pad?

There's a whole bunch of on-pad work that needs to be completed to secure SLS to the ML before the roll-back can begin.

They can (and most likely will) do further leak checks in the VAB, but that is done with gaseous helium.  The problems are happening when the QD plate is contracting from thermal cooling from the cryogenic liquid hydrogen.  Flowing liquid hydrogen through the system can only be done out on the pad.

I would presume they will do a full checkout of the SLS in the VAB, as well as fix anything that needs fixing, before they will roll it out. The pad itself would also need to be checked for any wind related damages before roll out.
I still wonder if they could try a liquid helium test in the VAB. Or at least chill the gaseous helium to liquid hydrogen temperature.
The boiling point of He is 4.222 K. It is unlikely that the VAB can handle liquid He. It's even more unlikely that the SLS can handle liquid He. Am I missing something?
Liquid helium can easily be stored in a small mobile dewar, so I dont understand what you mean by the VAB not being able to handle LHe. Not knowing the precise configuration, I cant rule out the idea of isolating the parts of the valve and seal and just using a small amount of liquid helium. The temperature difference in absolute terms is small compared to LHe and LH2, so there wont be much additional contraction (etc).

And chilling gaseous helium to LH2 temperature would just involve boiling off liquid helium and running it through a heat exchanger (or just a length of tubing) until the temperature was just right.

Actually, storing lots of gaseous helium for testing is probably safer as LHe than with very high pressure tanks.
92
Missions To The Moon (HSF) / Re: Artemis 1 Discussion Thread
« Last post by oldAtlas_Eguy on Today at 03:54 pm »
What launch opportunities are available in Nov?
This has a piece of the total list showing the details of days available in Nov.
https://spacepolicyonline.com/news/whats-happening-in-space-policy-september-4-10-2022/

The problem this storm causes as well for when it could roll back to the pad is when workers can get back in the VAB to do work.
93
https://twitter.com/ulalaunch/status/1574426646639157248

Quote
LAUNCH HIGHLIGHTS! 🚀

On Sat. Sept. 24 at 3:25 p.m. PDT the most metal of rockets, the ULA #DeltaIVHeavy, lifted off with the @NatReconOfc's #NROL91 mission.
 
Music by @sabaton, @torybruno's favorite heavy metal band! 🎸🔥

94
Missions To The Moon (HSF) / Re: Artemis 1 Discussion Thread
« Last post by DanClemmensen on Today at 03:50 pm »
Two more questions: they've decided now but are not actually rolling back until 11pm (ET). Does that leave a window to change the decision if the NHC updates today move the storm away from KSC, or is this decision final and something else is causing the wait until 11pm?

Also, upon rolling back, will they do more leak-related inspections or will it just be "get the SLS out of the way of the hurricane, change FTS batteries, back to pad"? And if it's the latter, how soon can it be back on the pad?

There's a whole bunch of on-pad work that needs to be completed to secure SLS to the ML before the roll-back can begin.

They can (and most likely will) do further leak checks in the VAB, but that is done with gaseous helium.  The problems are happening when the QD plate is contracting from thermal cooling from the cryogenic liquid hydrogen.  Flowing liquid hydrogen through the system can only be done out on the pad.

I would presume they will do a full checkout of the SLS in the VAB, as well as fix anything that needs fixing, before they will roll it out. The pad itself would also need to be checked for any wind related damages before roll out.
I still wonder if they could try a liquid helium test in the VAB. Or at least chill the gaseous helium to liquid hydrogen temperature.
The boiling point of He is 4.222 K. It is unlikely that the VAB can handle liquid He. It's even more unlikely that the SLS can handle liquid He. Am I missing something?
95
What launch opportunities are available in Nov?

Last month NASA posted:

Quote from: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/artemis-i-mission-availability
November 12 November 27 (preliminary)

12 launch opportunities

No launch availability on November 20, 21, and 26

December 9 December 23 (preliminary)

11 launch opportunities

No launch availability on December 10, 14, 18, and 23
96
Missions To The Moon (HSF) / Re: Artemis 1 Discussion Thread
« Last post by Markstark on Today at 03:48 pm »
Two more questions: they've decided now but are not actually rolling back until 11pm (ET). Does that leave a window to change the decision if the NHC updates today move the storm away from KSC, or is this decision final and something else is causing the wait until 11pm?

Also, upon rolling back, will they do more leak-related inspections or will it just be "get the SLS out of the way of the hurricane, change FTS batteries, back to pad"? And if it's the latter, how soon can it be back on the pad?
Addressing your first question. Decision is final. LH2/LOX disconnects in work right now. Can’t revert back and make this launch period at this point.
97
Missions To The Moon (HSF) / Re: Artemis 1 Discussion Thread
« Last post by Robotbeat on Today at 03:46 pm »
Two more questions: they've decided now but are not actually rolling back until 11pm (ET). Does that leave a window to change the decision if the NHC updates today move the storm away from KSC, or is this decision final and something else is causing the wait until 11pm?

Also, upon rolling back, will they do more leak-related inspections or will it just be "get the SLS out of the way of the hurricane, change FTS batteries, back to pad"? And if it's the latter, how soon can it be back on the pad?

There's a whole bunch of on-pad work that needs to be completed to secure SLS to the ML before the roll-back can begin.

They can (and most likely will) do further leak checks in the VAB, but that is done with gaseous helium.  The problems are happening when the QD plate is contracting from thermal cooling from the cryogenic liquid hydrogen.  Flowing liquid hydrogen through the system can only be done out on the pad.

I would presume they will do a full checkout of the SLS in the VAB, as well as fix anything that needs fixing, before they will roll it out. The pad itself would also need to be checked for any wind related damages before roll out.
I still wonder if they could try a liquid helium test in the VAB. Or at least chill the gaseous helium to liquid hydrogen temperature.
98
LAUNCH at 1338 UTC Sep 26 of a Chang Zheng 2D from Xichang carrying  Yaogan 36 Group 01 satellites A, B and C to orbit.  Like the YG-35 system, YG-36 01 zu has A and B sats built by CAST/Beijing and sat C built by SAST/Shanghai..

https://twitter.com/planet4589/status/1574416583052693505
100
Heres the source of the Dr Z quote about November:

https://twitter.com/emspeck/status/1574418265585160197

Quote
"The threat at this moment in time has been considered high enough based on all these inputs that it's just the right thing to roll back," Dr. Z said, adding this sets up #Artemis1 for a mid-to-late November launch.

Full quote in: https://www.foxweather.com/earth-space/nasa-to-begin-rolling-back-artemis-1-rocket-to-prepare-for-hurricane-ian
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography
1