Author Topic: SpaceX FH: STP-2 : LC-39A : June 25, 2019 - DISCUSSION  (Read 460406 times)

Offline ChefPat

• Earth, for now
  • Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 1022
Re: SpaceX FH: STP-2 : LC-39A : June 25, 2019 - DISCUSSION
« Reply #100 on: 06/13/2014 01:29 am »
I don't see why that would be the case. They need to demo FH if they want to attract customers for it.

Unless there's been a drastic change, the only customer for this behemoth is the US air force.

The commsat folks would demand a lot more than just the one demonstration flight.

Bigelow.
Playing Politics with Commercial Crew is Un-American!!!

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #102 on: 06/13/2014 02:37 am »
I don't see why that would be the case. They need to demo FH if they want to attract customers for it.

Unless there's been a drastic change, the only customer for this behemoth is the US air force.

The commsat folks would demand a lot more than just the one demonstration flight.

Bigelow, if the 5.2x19m fairing is any indication.  Seems perfect, if not purpose built, for BA-330.
« Last Edit: 06/13/2014 02:39 am by docmordrid »
DM

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #103 on: 06/13/2014 02:54 am »
There is a very good reason not to do demos out of the Cape, now that a Vandy launch site is available: the lack of beaches full of tourists and news crews, all filming the possible unscheduled fireworks display.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
« Reply #104 on: 06/13/2014 03:02 am »
Go check YouTube for videos of the CASSIOPE launch at Vandy.  There are plenty of places where a launch accident there could be seen & filmed by the public and news mongers
« Last Edit: 06/13/2014 03:03 am by docmordrid »
DM

Offline king1999

• F-Niner Fan
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Liked: 306
  • Likes Given: 1280
« Reply #105 on: 06/13/2014 03:05 am »
There is a very good reason not to do demos out of the Cape, now that a Vandy launch site is available: the lack of beaches full of tourists and news crews, all filming the possible unscheduled fireworks display.
I think the last few words were what you wanted to say, but tried to dress it unsuccessfully. An old Russian engine is more likely to make it a July 4  for the US then 27 newly built and tested ones.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #106 on: 06/13/2014 05:13 am »
I think the last few words were what you wanted to say, but tried to dress it unsuccessfully. An old Russian engine is more likely to make it a July 4  for the US then 27 newly built and tested ones.

No, unlike what I'm typing right now, I said exactly what I wanted to say.  I will assume you're just new and don't realize that my moniker preceded the renamed launch vehicle by more than 4 years.

Pros know the relative reliability of the two launch systems, and pros in any business seek to minimize PR fall out.  SpaceX is in a high-stakes PR match with FAR 15 Old Space right now.  The Cape is much more accessible than Vandenberg.  Places to watch from are less important than opportunity to do so.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8178
« Reply #107 on: 06/13/2014 05:26 am »
I'm am curious about why they switched to KSC though, maybe they have a payload that needs to launch east.

I'm guessing that KSC was chosen so that a used Dragon could be sent around the Moon on FH's first flight. I'm sure the connection to LC-39A having launched Apollo will not be lost on some.
« Last Edit: 06/13/2014 05:29 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Jcc

• Liked: 404
  • Likes Given: 203
« Reply #108 on: 06/13/2014 10:57 am »
I'm am curious about why they switched to KSC though, maybe they have a payload that needs to launch east.

I'm guessing that KSC was chosen so that a used Dragon could be sent around the Moon on FH's first flight. I'm sure the connection to LC-39A having launched Apollo will not be lost on some.

Nice thought, but they won't want to get NASA angry by upstaging Orion/SLS.
Speaking of NASA, they are a potential customer for interplanetary missions, including Mars.

First flight out of 39A is likely to have pad issues, maybe they want to shake those out on a demo flight rather than a CRS mission.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18198
  • Likes Given: 12158
« Reply #109 on: 06/13/2014 11:38 am »

Nice thought, but they won't want to get NASA angry by upstaging Orion/SLS.
Speaking of NASA, they are a potential customer for interplanetary missions, including Mars.
That would not actually upset NASA but mostly Congress critters.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #110 on: 06/13/2014 11:40 am »

Np, they chose it for this payload, STP-2.

Offline MTom

• EU / Hungary
  • Liked: 340
  • Likes Given: 993
« Reply #111 on: 06/13/2014 11:55 am »

Np, they chose it for this payload, STP-2.

Jim's post is a good point to come back on topic: STP-2 and not FH demo flight.   ;)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #112 on: 06/13/2014 01:20 pm »

Jim's post is a good point to come back on topic: STP-2 and not FH demo flight.   ;)

They will be one and the same

Online Galactic Penguin SST

Is there any written source that can confirm this? (although it is an obvious choice for the FH maiden flight)
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline MTom

• EU / Hungary
  • Liked: 340
  • Likes Given: 993
« Reply #114 on: 06/13/2014 07:21 pm »

Is there any written source that can confirm this? (although it is an obvious choice for the FH maiden flight)

SpaceX launch manifest (still) says there will be two launches: FH demo flight and STP-2 for USAF.
Something changed?

Offline Dudely

• Canada
  • Liked: 109
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #115 on: 06/13/2014 08:03 pm »

Bigelow, if the 5.2x19m fairing is any indication.  Seems perfect, if not purpose built, for BA-330.

Yes, they have been building hardware to fly on FH specifically. They already have some completed and are waiting in storage to launch (remember FH has been delayed 2 years+).

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
« Reply #116 on: 06/13/2014 08:30 pm »
Anyone know if Thin Red Line in Canada is still working with Bigelow?
DM

Offline sublimemarsupial

• Liked: 261
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #117 on: 06/13/2014 08:32 pm »

Yes, they have been building hardware to fly on FH specifically. They already have some completed and are waiting in storage to launch (remember FH has been delayed 2 years+).

Do you have a source for that?

Online Chris Bergin

Right then.

Let's all get on topic with THIS mission.

From this point onwards. Don't make me get out my big stick.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
  • Liked: 1299
  • Likes Given: 9683
« Reply #119 on: 06/13/2014 10:54 pm »

So, do we have a source for the idea that the STP-2 payload will fly on the FH demo flight, the maiden flight of Falcon Heavy???

Jim claims it will be.

I realize that there are some insiders here, and that they may possibly have, and then choose to make public, such inside information.   But we are all better off if we know if a claim is from someone who is claiming inside knowledge, or if the information has been publically stated.

Let's make the implicit, explicit!
Re arguments from authority on NSF:  "no one is exempt from error, and errors of authority are usually the worst kind.  Taking your word for things without question is no different than a bracket design not being tested because the designer was an old hand."
"You would actually save yourself time and effort if you were to use evidence and logic to make your points instead of wrapping yourself in the royal mantle of authority.  The approach only works on sheep, not inquisitive, intelligent people."

Tags: Falcon Heavy SpaceX 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography