Author Topic: Elon The Boring Company  (Read 1626430 times)

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 2412
  • Likes Given: 10224
Re: Elon The Boring Company
« Reply #1020 on: 02/08/2018 10:30 pm »
Yesterday evening on an analyst call, Musk suggested that The Boring Company could build a mile-long tunnel from a Tesla seat manufacturing facility to the main Fremont plant.  See 55:35 for discussion.

« Last Edit: 02/08/2018 10:36 pm by RedLineTrain »

Offline RedLineTrain

« Reply #1021 on: 02/08/2018 10:34 pm »
The Boring Company is one of four responders to a Request for Qualifications issued for the O'Hare Express.  I expected many more expressions of interest.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/2/7/16986520/elon-musk-boring-company-ohare-express-loop
« Last Edit: 02/08/2018 10:36 pm by RedLineTrain »

Offline RedLineTrain

« Reply #1022 on: 02/16/2018 07:29 pm »
Looks like we have a potential location for a Washington DC Hyperloop station.  Attached is a DC Department of Transportation permit for The Boring Company's traffic control plan for 55 New York Avenue, NE, which is just North of Union Station.

Some notes.

*Permit was issued on November 8, 2017
*A very small space for construction; only about 8,700 square feet total space for the station
*The hole appears to be 30 feet by 30 feet, so perhaps it is just an elevator shaft and the station is far below ground
*Assessed value of the land is $6 million and appears to be owned by The JBG Company (a local real estate investment trust)
*The person filing for the permit appears to be an employee of Clark Construction (a large construction company)
*Bohler DC, a local civil engineering firm, prepared the drawings
*The plan is entitled "Traffic Contol Plan for SpaceX"

Here is the article that flagged this development...

https://dc.curbed.com/2018/2/16/17019962/elon-musk-dc-baltimore-bullet-train

A Boring Company spokesman said, “The Boring Company is working with federal, state, and local officials on constructing a high speed transportation system from Washington, D.C., to Baltimore, which would then be extended to New York. Stations in a Loop or hyperloop system are small in size and widely distributed in a network—very different from large station termini considered for train systems. In Washington, D.C., a New York Avenue location, if constructed, could become a station in this network.”
« Last Edit: 02/16/2018 07:34 pm by RedLineTrain »

Offline RedLineTrain

« Reply #1023 on: 02/17/2018 08:00 pm »
The Washington Post was able to get a few comments from DC...

D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) visited the Boring Company in California this month, walking in a tunnel to learn more about the technology the company says will make tunneling faster and cheaper.

The District’s Department of Transportation is figuring out what other permits the Boring Company would need to cut under city roads and other public spaces, according to Bowser’s chief of staff, John Falcicchio.

“We’re just beginning, in the mayor’s office, our conversation to get an understanding of what the general vision is for Hyperloop,” Falcicchio said. Asked whether the Bowser administration supports the project, he was somewhat upbeat but noncommittal, adding: “We’re open to the concept of moving people around the region more efficiently.”

D.C. has given Elon Musk a permit to do a little digging for the Hyperloop (WaPo)

Offline jebbo

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 608
  • Likes Given: 309
« Reply #1024 on: 02/19/2018 12:59 pm »
Just about on topic I think:

Plenty of places have committed to exploring the economic viability of building a Hyperloop, but nobody has been brave enough to say they'll actually construct one. It's why the news coming out of India's latest announcement is such a big deal, because it includes a pledge to build a working test track.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Sir Richard Branson announced the partnership between Virgin Hyperloop One and the Indian state of Maharashtra. The deal will see the pair look into developing a high-speed link between the cities of Pune and Mumbai, with the route going via Mumbai International Airport.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/19/india-inches-ahead-in-the-race-to-build-a-hyperloop/?sr_source=Twitter

Offline RedLineTrain

« Reply #1025 on: 02/19/2018 06:09 pm »
Stopped by 55 New York Avenue in DC today.  It is being used as a parking lot and is filled with cars.  There are no signs on the fence to indicate imminent construction.

TBC probably doesn't own the property and just purchased an option from the owners.  The plot is very small, so I'm guessing that it would just contain an elevator.  If the owner wanted to eventually build something on top, even including an underground parking garage, it seems that they could do so no problem.

Offline Ludus

• Liked: 1255
  • Likes Given: 1017
« Reply #1026 on: 02/22/2018 04:23 pm »
Just about on topic I think:

Plenty of places have committed to exploring the economic viability of building a Hyperloop, but nobody has been brave enough to say they'll actually construct one. It's why the news coming out of India's latest announcement is such a big deal, because it includes a pledge to build a working test track.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Sir Richard Branson announced the partnership between Virgin Hyperloop One and the Indian state of Maharashtra. The deal will see the pair look into developing a high-speed link between the cities of Pune and Mumbai, with the route going via Mumbai International Airport.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/19/india-inches-ahead-in-the-race-to-build-a-hyperloop/?sr_source=Twitter

This is an odd story because of the numbers. Mumbai to Pune is close to 150 km by road but only about 100 km by rail. If it’s 100km covered in 25 minutes that’s 240km/hr which is WAY too slow for HyperLoop. There would be no point in drawing a vacuum and all the other complications at that speed. 240km/hr is very close to 150 miles/hr which maybe not coincidentally is the top speed offered for the Boring Company’s plain old Loop transport using electric skates in regular air pressure tunnels.

This is interesting because Virgin HyperLoop One isn’t connected to The Boring Company and AFAIK has been entirely focused on HyperLoop not anything like what TBC calls Loop.

It would of course be a lot easier to build a plain old tunnel or tube at normal air pressure and run electric vehicles in it. The Victorians wouldn’t have had much trouble with it. TBC seems to emphasize it because of its practicality and the fact that tunnels built for Loop can hold a near vacuum so they could be upgraded to HyperLoop later. So TBC could build out Baltimore to DC Tunnel and operate it as Loop at 150mph and later when lines connect Baltimore to Philly and Philly to NYC turn the whole system into HyperLoop at 4x the speed.

The numbers suggest that Virgin HyperLoop One has adopted this TBC approach.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81623
  • Likes Given: 36931
« Reply #1027 on: 03/03/2018 10:39 pm »
elonmusk Deep in the hole with my boring machine. Sometimes when we touch, the honesty’s too much ...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf1fcw4g4Tx/

Offline billh

• Houston
  • Liked: 1098
  • Likes Given: 792
« Reply #1028 on: 03/04/2018 11:23 pm »
I wonder if they've been doing anything so far to try to speed it up? I don't suppose we are likely to hear much about that anytime soon.

Offline DistantTemple

• England
  • Liked: 1701
  • Likes Given: 2839
« Reply #1029 on: 03/05/2018 12:11 am »
Elon looks downright depressed, and the scene is far from his customary shiny white.. with the oily plastic tub. (broken hydraulics) I think "deep in the hole with my boring machine, sometimes when we touch, the reality's too much" could refer to it being "a bit too much", and reality being a lot tougher than he hoped. Its just like a relationship, you get dug into some heavy sh*t. And that's exactly what he's saying, and being a genius, he knows we'll take it as a totally positive moment. Damn, he was probably dragged down there because its broken!
Reading about US working practices in tunneling projects, I guess if he can operate like the crossrail teams in London UK, he may get a bit faster and definitely cheaper. So far there is no sign of new hardware, or new engineering. His S/H boring machines are probably working just like they did for their last owner. I hope and believe he will make big improvements, but some of that will be the strategy of smaller tunnels... not getting 10x speed improvement overnight!
We can always grow new new dendrites. Reach out and make connections and your world will burst with new insights. Then repose in consciousness.

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10198
  • Likes Given: 11927
« Reply #1030 on: 03/05/2018 12:25 am »
His S/H boring machines are probably working just like they did for their last owner. I hope and believe he will make big improvements, but some of that will be the strategy of smaller tunnels... not getting 10x speed improvement overnight!

I don't think he thought these current generation of boring machines could go faster. I think he's using the current generation of boring machines to make sure he and his Boring Company engineers understand - truly understand - what the issues are so that they can engineer the next generation machines.
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline DistantTemple

• England
« Reply #1031 on: 03/05/2018 12:32 am »
His S/H boring machines are probably working just like they did for their last owner. I hope and believe he will make big improvements, but some of that will be the strategy of smaller tunnels... not getting 10x speed improvement overnight!

I don't think he thought these current generation of boring machines could go faster. I think he's using the current generation of boring machines to make sure he and his Boring Company engineers understand - truly understand - what the issues are so that they can engineer the next generation machines.
Yes that makes complete sense. I agree. However current builders of TBMs may be doing better than EM implies, and making vast improvements, may not be anything like as easy as he planned.
We can always grow new new dendrites. Reach out and make connections and your world will burst with new insights. Then repose in consciousness.

Offline Arb

• London
  • Liked: 514
  • Likes Given: 433
« Reply #1032 on: 03/05/2018 01:27 am »
"deep in the hole with my boring machine, sometimes when we touch, the reality's too much"

Bold mine.

Musk's actual words on Instagram are: "Deep in the hole with my boring machine. Sometimes when we touch, the honesty’s too much ..."

"Honesty" and "reality" do not mean the same thing. At all.

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 2762
  • Likes Given: 3369
« Reply #1033 on: 03/05/2018 01:33 am »
"deep in the hole with my boring machine, sometimes when we touch, the reality's too much"

Bold mine.

Musk's actual words on Instagram are: "Deep in the hole with my boring machine. Sometimes when we touch, the honesty’s too much ..."

- for those not familiar with the song.
'm only just beginning
To see the real you

And sometimes when we touch
The honesty's too much

I suggest not over-thinking the meaning.
« Last Edit: 03/05/2018 01:34 am by speedevil »

Offline DistantTemple

• England
« Reply #1034 on: 03/05/2018 01:45 am »

Yes my bad. Doesn't change the overall point that EM looks fed up. And in that context being honest with himself (my interpretation) about the difficulties, is a similar struggle to facing up to reality, that its difficult. Still I'll take more care with my quotes. thanks for the detail.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #1035 on: 03/05/2018 01:50 am »

Yes my bad. Doesn't change the overall point that EM looks fed up. And in that context being honest with himself (my interpretation) about the difficulties, is a similar struggle to facing up to reality, that its difficult. Still I'll take more care with my quotes. thanks for the detail.
You're over-thinking it.  It's just some dumb joke about sexual tension with a, um, boring machine.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #1036 on: 03/05/2018 01:51 am »
General rule of thumb for Musk social media:

If you're not sure if it's some dumb joke, then it's a dumb joke. Don't over-think it.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 2034
  • Likes Given: 5381
« Reply #1037 on: 03/05/2018 01:52 am »

I think you are reading an awful lot into the picture especially given Elon's sense of humor.

Edit: Robotbeat me to it and did it better.
« Last Edit: 03/05/2018 01:53 am by mme »
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline DistantTemple

• England
« Reply #1038 on: 03/05/2018 02:04 am »
Thankyou Speedevil. Lovely song, and I was not familiar with it..... EM is probably awed by the project! and not fed up at all! OK I'll stop there, but thanks, I love the song now, and I like that EM obviously does.

Offline philw1776

• Seacoast NH
  • Liked: 1842
  • Likes Given: 983
FULL SEND!!!!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight