Author Topic: NASA astronaut Garrett Reisman joins SpaceX  (Read 14883 times)

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 164
  • Likes Given: 102
NASA astronaut Garrett Reisman joins SpaceX
« on: 03/04/2011 09:29 pm »
SpaceX is adding to their ranks of former astronauts joining the company.

Friday, March 4, 2011

For Immediate Release

202-649-2716

Astronaut Garrett Reisman Joins SpaceX

Joining Astronaut Safety and Mission Assurance Team as SpaceX Prepares to Carry Astronauts

Hawthorne, CA– Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) is proud to announce that NASA astronaut Garrett Reisman is joining the company as a senior engineer working on astronaut safety and mission assurance.

“We’re excited about the great team that we are building.  Our talent is the key to our success.  Garrett’s experience designing and using spaceflight hardware will be invaluable as we prepare the spacecraft that will carry the next generation of explorers,” said Elon Musk, SpaceX CEO and Chief Technology Officer. 

Dr. Reisman will join former NASA astronaut Ken Bowersox’s team in preparing SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon spacecraft to carry astronauts.  In December, Dragon became the first commercial spacecraft to successfully return from orbit.  In the coming years, NASA will use Dragon for at least 12 cargo missions to the International Space Station, creating strong flight experience before the first manned mission. 

“I am excited to help SpaceX because I care deeply about the future of human spaceflight,” said Dr. Reisman.  “I see commercial spaceflight as our country's best option for a robust and sustainable human spaceflight future.”

Beyond safety, Dr. Reisman’s experience as an operator of both American and Russian spaceflight hardware will help SpaceX in the development of human interfaces including controls, displays, seats, suits and environmental control systems. 

“After the Space Shuttle's last flight later this year, America will be dependent on our Russian partners for getting NASA astronauts to space.  NASA's commercial crew development program is our only hope for a quick, safe and affordable alternative, and SpaceX is well-positioned to lead this effort given the strength of their performance during the NASA COTS program,” said Reisman.

Both the Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon spacecraft have been designed from the start to one day carry astronauts.

Dr. Reisman comes to SpaceX from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration where he has served since 1998.  He has flown on two Space Shuttle missions, which include launching with STS-123 and returning with the STS-124 crew, as well as flying on STS-132.  During these two missions, he logged over 3 months in space including over 21 hours of extravehicular activity (EVA) in 3 spacewalks.  Dr. Reisman served with both the Expedition-16 and the Expedition-17 crews as a Flight Engineer aboard the International Space Station.   Early in his time at NASA he was assigned to the Astronaut Office Robotics Branch, worked in the Astronaut Office Advanced Vehicles Branch, and was a crewmember on NEEMO V in 2003, living on the bottom of the sea in the Aquarius habitat for two weeks.

Dr. Reisman holds a B.S. in Economics and a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics from the University of Pennsylvania, a M.S. in Mechanical Engineering from the California Institute of Technology, and a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from the California Institute of Technology.  He is an FAA Certified Flight Instructor.  Dr. Reisman is from Parsippany, New Jersey.

About SpaceX

SpaceX is developing a family of launch vehicles and spacecraft that is increasing the reliability and performance of space transportation, while ultimately reducing costs by a factor of ten. With the Falcon rockets, SpaceX has a diverse manifest of launches to deliver commercial and government satellites to orbit. After the Space Shuttle retires, the Falcon 9 and SpaceX’s Dragon spacecraft will start carrying cargo, including live plants and animals, to and from the International Space Station for NASA.  Falcon 9 and Dragon were developed to one day carry astronauts.

Founded in 2002, SpaceX is a private company owned by management and employees, with minority investments from Founders Fund, Draper Fisher Jurvetson, and Valor Equity Partners. The company has over 1,250 employees in California, Texas and Florida. For more information, and to watch the video of the Falcon 9 and Dragon launches, visit the SpaceX website at SpaceX.com.

Sounds encouraging. I think it will add credibility to their efforts to manrate the Dragon capsule.

« Last Edit: 03/05/2011 12:58 am by Chris Bergin »
Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
Re: NASA astronaut Garrett Reisman joins SpaceX
« Reply #1 on: 03/04/2011 09:32 pm »

Very encouraging. Good move by SpaceX.
All the best to Garrett in his new position.
« Last Edit: 03/05/2011 12:58 am by Chris Bergin »

Offline tigerade

• Low Earth Orbit
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #2 on: 03/04/2011 09:47 pm »
Just read the article.  I'm not familiar with the gentleman, but it certainly sounds like he has his qualifications in order!  Hopefully the extra brain power will ensure that SpaceX's manned spacecraft ambitions are successful.

Offline RocketEconomist327

• Rocket Economist
  • Infecting the beltway with fiscal responsibility, limited government, and free markets.
  • Liked: 96
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #3 on: 03/04/2011 10:02 pm »
Big G will be a great addition to the team along with Sox.

SpaceX now has two veteran shuttle fliers on staff.  They know what is needed.  They know NASA.

SpaceX continues to make progress despite the naysayers.

VR
RE327

edit: fixed a typo
« Last Edit: 03/04/2011 10:49 pm by RocketScientist327 »
You can talk about all the great things you can do, or want to do, in space; but unless the rocket scientists get a sound understanding of economics (and quickly), the US space program will never achieve the greatness it should.

Putting my money where my mouth is.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #4 on: 03/04/2011 10:42 pm »
I hope he doesn't get the job of Falcon 1E Product Manager.

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #5 on: 03/04/2011 11:59 pm »
It's entertaining to compare the reaction to this announcement to the reaction a few years back of the former astronauts being hired by ATK to work Ares...
JRF

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 172
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: 03/05/2011 12:03 am »
A great Spacex HSF addition and just in time for CCDEV 2 ;)
« Last Edit: 03/05/2011 12:04 am by mr. mark »

Offline butters

• Liked: 1693
  • Likes Given: 598
« Reply #7 on: 03/05/2011 12:25 am »
Good choice. Reisman has recent flight experience, multiple Shuttle missions, a stint on the ISS, two EVAs, and a deep engineering background. That's basically the complete package if you're looking for someone to help build a manned spaceflight program.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #8 on: 03/05/2011 12:52 am »
It's entertaining to compare the reaction to this announcement to the reaction a few years back of the former astronauts being hired by ATK to work Ares...

+1

I wonder how much influence 2 former astronauts have internally.  Other companies use them for external influence.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline RocketEconomist327

• Rocket Economist
  • Infecting the beltway with fiscal responsibility, limited government, and free markets.
  • Liked: 96
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #9 on: 03/05/2011 12:55 am »

+1

I wonder how much influence 2 former astronauts have internally.  Other companies use them for external influence.

Bingo... and that Sir, is the difference.  I am sure that Sox and Big G have some influence with NASA; however, they have pull within SpaceX as well.

VR
RE327
You can talk about all the great things you can do, or want to do, in space; but unless the rocket scientists get a sound understanding of economics (and quickly), the US space program will never achieve the greatness it should.

Putting my money where my mouth is.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #10 on: 03/05/2011 01:41 am »
+1

Bingo... and that Sir, is the difference.  I am sure that Sox and Big G have some influence with NASA; however, they have pull within SpaceX as well.

I'm glad you think so.

What was it Journey said? "Don't stop believin'."
« Last Edit: 03/05/2011 03:37 am by Antares »
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline Cherokee43v6

• Garner, NC
  • Liked: 935
  • Likes Given: 236
« Reply #11 on: 03/05/2011 01:51 am »
Sounds like they have a flight crew for their first manned testflight! :)
"I didn't open the can of worms...
        ...I just pointed at it and laughed a little too loudly."

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #12 on: 03/05/2011 02:04 am »

LOL, I was just thinking the same thing.  ;D

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #13 on: 03/05/2011 12:06 pm »

VR
RE327

No, you can't make that conclusion.   The opposite has been true in my experience. 

Offline Joris

• Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #14 on: 03/05/2011 03:38 pm »

LOL, I was just thinking the same thing.  ;D

Same thing :P
JIMO would have been the first proper spaceship.

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 172
« Reply #15 on: 03/15/2011 01:49 am »

Offline Space Love 101

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: 03/18/2011 04:31 pm »
Great new article from Garrett and space.com
http://www.space.com/11124-astronaut-garrett-reisman-spacex-qa.html

Great interview, thanks for posting. This guy clearly knows what's going on.

Offline tigerade

• Low Earth Orbit
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #17 on: 03/20/2011 09:04 pm »
How many astronauts work for SpaceX at this point?  Is this known?

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #18 on: 03/20/2011 09:46 pm »
How many astronauts work for SpaceX at this point?  Is this known?

Only two. Bowersox and Reisman.
« Last Edit: 03/20/2011 09:47 pm by Lars_J »

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81677
  • Likes Given: 36941
« Reply #19 on: 05/31/2018 06:43 pm »
I know it’s a very old thread but seems best place for this:

Former NASA astronaut Garrett Reisman, who has been director of space operations at SpaceX for the last several years, is joining the faculty of USC’s Dept. of Astronautical Engineering. He’ll remain a senior advisor for SpaceX’s commercial crew work.

https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/1002243029594443777?s=21

https://viterbischool.usc.edu/news/2018/05/astronaut-to-join-usc-faculty/

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography