Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - SpX-6/CRS-6 DRAGON - Discussion Thread  (Read 502797 times)

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3359
  • Likes Given: 1138
Discussion Thread for the Falcon 9 v1.1 mission with the CRS-6 Dragon.

Resources:

Other threads for CRS-6:
SCRUB: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - SpX-6/CRS-6 DRAGON - April 13 - ATTEMPT 1
SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - SpX-6/CRS-6 DRAGON - April 14 - LAUNCH
SpaceX CRS-6 Dragon - RNDZ, Berthing, ISS Ops - UPDATES
SpaceX CRS-6 Dragon - Unberth, Entry, Splashdown - UPDATES
The CRS-6/SpX-6 There and Back Again Party Thread

SpaceX News Articles from 2006 (Including numerous exclusive Elon interviews):
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=21862.0

SpaceX News Articles (Recent):
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/tag/spacex/

=--=

SpaceX GENERAL Forum Section:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?board=45.0 - please use this for general questions NOT specific to this mission.

SpaceX MISSIONS Forum Section:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?board=55.0 - this section is for everything specific to SpaceX missions.

L2 SpaceX Section - now a dedicated full section:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=24469.0

CRS-6 UPDATES thread (UPDATES only, discussion belongs here)
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=37186.0

CRS-6 There and back again party thread
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=37098.0

"Another ‪#‎Dragon‬ spacecraft leaves HQ, on its way to Cape Canaveral."

https://www.facebook.com/SpaceX/photos/pcb.10155629790315131/10155629790165131/?type=1&theater

« Last Edit: 08/09/2017 01:25 am by gongora »
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline AS-503

• Orion Fab Team
  • Colorado USA
  • Liked: 317
  • Likes Given: 251
Awesome photo!

Very inspirational!

Look how young they are!

Below is a link where Kranz talks about the young team in Apollo Mission Control.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tothemoon/kranz.html

Quote: 

On Mission Control: "The controllers had come up, they had developed a set of values that are expressed by simple words: discipline, morale, toughness, competence, commitment, teamwork."

Well, the nature of Mission Control as it emerged from Mercury through Gemini and into the early Apollo was really one of an incredibly and intensely dedicated team of very young people. My controllers at the time of the first lunar landing—our average age was 26. I was 35. I was the old man in this room essentially. The controllers had come up, they had developed a set of values that are expressed by simple words: discipline, morale, toughness, competence, commitment, teamwork. And it was these characteristics that built the chemistry that would keep us together both in good times and especially in bad times. The room, the hours that we worked were incredible. I don't think anyone ever worked anything less than 10 to 12 hours each day. Saturday was a normal day of work; in fact, that's the way we felt it should be. We were given this impossible dream by President Kennedy, and we were living it. We were doing the kinds of things that engineers would kill for. And as part of this process, we'd go and open up our pay—we were surprised we were getting paid by this thing here. As long as we had enough money to make things meet, that's all we needed. The job was our life, and we lived this literally every day. And this room, it's a marvelous leadership laboratory.

Offline averagespacejoe

• Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 0
I would guess this is a safe thread to designate the discussion with party and update thread coming later.

Offline Chris Bergin

Converted it into the discussion thread. :)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
Nice fancy wall, will look for it on my tour :o
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline obi-wan

• Liked: 691
  • Likes Given: 30
On the right down the center aisle, just past the Merlin assembly line. (See if you can see any signs of Dragon 2 when you walk past!)

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
On the right down the center aisle, just past the Merlin assembly line. (See if you can see any signs of Dragon 2 when you walk past!)
;)
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7392
  • Likes Given: 72392
As there will be no external payload in the Dragon trunk on this flight, will this Dragon carry a greater mass of internal payload?
Or is the mass of the internal payload (largely) independent of the mass of the external payload?

Zubenelgenubi
« Last Edit: 03/01/2015 07:00 am by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline symbios

• Elon Musk fan
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 152
  • Likes Given: 739
As there will be no external payload in the Dragon trunk on this flight, will this Dragon carry a greater mass of internal payload?
Or is the mass of the internal payload (largely) independent of the mass of the external payload?

Zubenelgenubi

As I understand it, internal mass is more volume limited. Could be different if they start shipping water or other more dense materiel.
I'm a fan, not a fanatic...

Offline Norm38

• Liked: 1272
  • Likes Given: 2317
Why no trunk cargo on this flight?  Don't they have two docking adapters to bring up?  Nothing's ready to fly yet?

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
Why no trunk cargo on this flight?  Don't they have two docking adapters to bring up?  Nothing's ready to fly yet?

Probably not ready yet, but future news related to SpaceX CRS-6 will be available throughout this March.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
By the way, is SpaceX CRS-6 delayed to the 10th or 22nd of April? In the Rocket Launch Viewing page of www.launchphotography.com, the Future Launches section says that the launch is on April 10 at around 5 PM EDT. But on Salo's US Rocket Launch Schedule, the launch is on April 8 but could be delayed to the 22nd.
« Last Edit: 03/01/2015 02:57 pm by longdrivechampion102 »

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
By the way, is SpaceX CRS-6 delayed to the 10th or 22nd of April? In the Rocket Launch Viewing page of www.launchphotography.com, the Future Launches section says that the launch is on April 10 at around 5 PM EDT. But on Salo's US Rocket Launch Schedule, the launch is on April 8 but could be delayed to the 22nd.

During the pre-briefing for the ISS EVAs, one of the managers said that they were targeting CRS-6 for mid to late April now.  That was the first that I had heard of any move from the earlier date.  I haven't personally seen anything that listed a more specific date, so I'm not sure where those came from.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX

During the pre-briefing for the ISS EVAs, one of the managers said that they were targeting CRS-6 for mid to late April now.  That was the first that I had heard of any move from the earlier date.  I haven't personally seen anything that listed a more specific date, so I'm not sure where those came from.

Then it's highly likely scheduled for the 22nd.

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136

Then it's highly likely scheduled for the 22nd.

Is that your guess, as suggested by the "highly likely" comment?

We have two data points from about the same time, the NASA document and the statement during the EVA briefing, that conflict.  Other than relating experience that favors one over the other, it doesn't do any good to guess at the schedule.  Finding more evidence is what is needed.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
Finding more evidence is what is needed.

Or, you know, patience.  But if I haven't found her yet, I don't hold out much hope for myself anytime soon.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
Finding more evidence is what is needed.

Or, you know, patience.  But if I haven't found her yet, I don't hold out much hope for myself anytime soon.

Got the point.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
For people looking for the ISS water recycling discussion, it was moved here:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=36926.0
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Eagandale4114

• Liked: 541
  • Likes Given: 500
Here is the FCC application, and as expected we have a barge attempt as well as a NET of April 8th.
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/els/reports/STA_Print.cfm?mode=initial&application_seq=64682&RequestTimeout=1000

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
Was it this flight meant to carry BEAM or the NDS adapter in the trunk?
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Tags: CRS-6 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography